Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sun 17 Dec 2017, 06:20
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Light-Debian-Core-Live-CD-Wheezy + Porteus-Wheezy
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 276 of 283 [4236 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 274, 275, 276, 277, 278, ..., 281, 282, 283 Next
fredx181

PostPosted: Mon 05 Jan 2015, 14:48    Post subject:  

Hi Toni,

Quote:
BTW take a look when you have time at gsu-gksu deb if you see something wrong with it:
http://smokey01.com/saintless/DebianDog/Packages/Testing/tmp/gsu_1.0.0_i386.deb

Thanks, I'm beginning to understand now how you package it, with the check of existing file /opt/docs/debdognew in postinst etc.. and tested it, works fine.
I forgot to mention btw that together with the LD_LIBRARY_PATH change for yad-gsu I also changed little bit the code for "command not found" at the bottom of script, now it checks for return value 127 (which is officially "command not found"), so it's more clean and simple.

Quote:
Maybe we should keep portablesfs only for root account without menu entry for user... or just leave it as it is. It is not big problem.

I agree, not a big problem, however I like the concept of this and I'm working on it to make it better support for multi-user.

Quote:
I'm working on removing obshutdown from jwm-porteus-boot and I think I'm almost ready. 021-apps-porteus will be removed for next version.

That's nice! Just one module for Jwm version.

Fred
saintless

PostPosted: Mon 05 Jan 2015, 16:11    Post subject:  

Hi, Fred.

The post for next version updated with all changes to the moment (I hope):
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=776368#776368

gsu_1.0.1_i386.deb - latest fixed gsu scripts from you added in the package.

gsu_1.0.0_i386.deb - added dependency xterm inside control and only /opt/bin/gsu-xterm replaced with the latest fixed version.

I have one small problem with IceWM to fix after removing obshutdown and I will continue converting some more packages for the testing repository.

Edit: Download links changed after moving the repo.
Toni

Last edited by saintless on Wed 07 Jan 2015, 15:06; edited 1 time in total
saintless

PostPosted: Wed 07 Jan 2015, 14:54    Post subject:  

Hi, Fred.

Just moved the testing repository to official debdog repository location here:
http://smokey01.com/saintless/DebianDog/Packages/
We can add it in sources list for next version. I'm sure some more changes will be needed but I think the packages are good to go for official use and there is no more need from testing repository.

Edit: wxhexeditor deb must be moved from section included to extra but I will do it when we have something more to add/change.

Toni
fredx181

PostPosted: Wed 07 Jan 2015, 18:25    Post subject:  

Hi Toni,

Quote:
Just moved the testing repository to official debdog repository location here:
http://smokey01.com/saintless/DebianDog/Packages/
We can add it in sources list for next version. I'm sure some more changes will be needed but I think the packages are good to go for official use and there is no more need from testing repository.

Great! Just did a quick test and it seems to work well.

Still working on the portablesfs script, made a lot of progress for multi-user support but not finished yet.

Fred
saintless

PostPosted: Thu 08 Jan 2015, 13:38    Post subject:  

Take your time, Fred.
I will do some more testing with linux-image-3.4-9-rtai-686-pae addition for DebianDog.
I can't make it as separate squashfs module like the others. It needs many non-free firmware packages like:
Code:
firmware-ivtv, firmware-realtek, firmware-myricom, firmware-atheros, firmware-bnx2x, firmware-netxen, firmware-iwlwifi, firmware-ipw2x00, firmware-libertas, firmware-intelwimax, firmware-brcm80211, firmware-qlogic, firmware-bnx2...

If I make the module without them I can't get eth0 up and working. I will make a post with alternative install method using deb packages with non-free dependencies. I have linux-headers-rtai working also for installing virtualbox and similar software. The good thing is DebianDog can get working linuxcnc in few minutes keeping all available boot methods for rtai kernel. Not like I will need it but it could be useful option in the future for someone.

Toni

fredx181

PostPosted: Fri 09 Jan 2015, 14:58    Post subject:  

Hi Toni,

Quote:
Take your time, Fred.

I did,went through testing different scenarios for portablesfs.
To achieve multi-user support the only way I could find is to run the portable-script as root first and then redirect to the user currently logged-in.
Also I wanted to find a way to make it possible to run the portable script (and module) from inside the "virtual" filesystem e.g. from /root and also to make it work from a full install.
So: two modes to create the portable script:
- SFS-load mode (as it was already, just added multi-user support)
- Chroot mode (works from full install and from inside "virtual" filesystem)
For the "Chroot mode" I got the valuable info from here (thanks to mikeb):
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=90909

Included in the attached archive: portable-sfs.tar.gz, is also /usr/bin/unionfs-fuse (small binary from Wheezy) which is required by the "chroot mode"
I thought better not to make a .deb package from it, IMO, unionfs-fuse in /usr/bin doesn't do any harm, tell me if you think different.
For more info about "Chroot mode" and running as user or root, click on the "Information" button.

Test when you like, I know it's not important change but I have *something* with "portable", so see it as a hobby of mine Smile

Edit: Re-uploaded portable-sfs.tar.gz,
Small change, added "export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/opt/lib:/usr/local/lib" to /opt/docs/portablesfs-chroot.template
This way it works also with older gsu installed, (when logged in with normal user account)

Edit2: Removed attachment for now, need to work some more on error checking.

Edit3: Re-uploaded, changes for the "Chroot mode":
- more error checking added (makes sure everything is properly unmounted after usage)
- added mount binds besides /proc for /dev and /sys (might be needed for some programs).

Fred
portable-sfs.tar.gz
Description  Re-uploaded: New portablesfs with added "Chroot mode"
gz

Download 
Filename  portable-sfs.tar.gz 
Filesize  21.4 KB 
Downloaded  115 Time(s) 

Last edited by fredx181 on Sat 10 Jan 2015, 13:48; edited 3 times in total
saintless

PostPosted: Fri 09 Jan 2015, 15:24    Post subject:  

Hi, Fred.
I'm not sure when I will have a chance to test full install but I will try in the next few days. Too busy with work and other things unfortunately. When I finish rtai kernel setup option for DebianDog I will start testing portablesfs. I'm almost ready btw.
fredx181 wrote:
Included in the attached archive: portable-sfs.tar.gz, is also /usr/bin/unionfs-fuse (small binary from Wheezy) which is required by the "chroot mode"
I thought better not to make a .deb package from it, IMO, unionfs-fuse in /usr/bin doesn't do any harm, tell me if you think different.

I agree about no deb package for portablesfs but what happens if the user install and then remove unionfs-fuse? Then I think portablesfs will stop working in chroot mode.

I suggest adding "apt-get install unionfs-fuse" for next version. It will be manually installed this way and it is only 28Kb.

Edit: Maybe deb package portablesfs with dependency unionfs-fuse is not bad idea too.

Toni
fredx181

PostPosted: Fri 09 Jan 2015, 16:21    Post subject:  

Toni wrote:
I agree about no deb package for portablesfs but what happens if the user install and then remove unionfs-fuse? Then I think portablesfs will stop working in chroot mode.

Yes, of course, I had the feeling already that I missed something.

Quote:
Edit: Maybe deb package portablesfs with dependency unionfs-fuse is not bad idea too.

I think also, if you agree (after you tested portablesfs in the next days) I will make it.

Edit: Re-uploaded portable-sfs.tar.gz, see my Edit on previous post.
Works in Chroot mode with older gsu also now, when logged in with normal user account.

Edit2: Re-uploaded, see Edit3 on previous post.

Fred
saintless

PostPosted: Sat 10 Jan 2015, 13:55    Post subject:  

Hi, Fred.

I will test your new portablesfs.
I had to remove DebianDog-Sid files from the main site. The post about it is changed with google drive links. I will make one more google account to copy the content from the backup site. It is over 8 Gb with some hidden testing files.

Seems we have around 1,2Gb files for DebianDog-Wheezy only here:
http://smokey01.com/saintless/DebianDog/
I think after Sid version is removed we can add maximum 200-250 Mb more.
Maybe at some point in the future I will have to keep there only DebianDog-Wheezy files changing the download links for Squeeze and Porteus-Wheezy to google drive. Or to remove some kernel modules and system modules for Wheezy keeping them in google drive only. I guess some modules for wheezy are not needed anyway. But with sure we will not have free space for jessie and Sid version later in the main site.
Suggestion what to keep untouched in the main site and what to remove in the future and which google drive to choose as second main site is welcome, Fred.

Toni
fredx181

PostPosted: Sat 10 Jan 2015, 16:12    Post subject:  

saintless wrote:

I had to remove DebianDog-Sid files from the main site. The post about it is changed with google drive links. I will make one more google account to copy the content from the backup site. It is over 8 Gb with some hidden testing files.

Seems we have around 1,2Gb files for DebianDog-Wheezy only here:
http://smokey01.com/saintless/DebianDog/
I think after Sid version is removed we can add maximum 200-250 Mb more.
Maybe at some point in the future I will have to keep there only DebianDog-Wheezy files changing the download links for Squeeze and Porteus-Wheezy to google drive. Or to remove some kernel modules and system modules for Wheezy keeping them in google drive only. I guess some modules for wheezy are not needed anyway. But with sure we will not have free space for jessie and Sid version later in the main site.
Suggestion what to keep untouched in the main site and what to remove in the future and which google drive to choose as second main site is welcome, Fred.

Toni

That's bad news!
What's the change all of a sudden then? There's still 2G you have, I assume.

What I wanted to mention already is that I don't have plans to update Porteus-Wheezy + packages anymore, so I'm ok with it if you move it to your google-drive.
Maybe also then you can write in the first post of "Light-Debian-Core-Live-CD-Wheezy + Porteus-Wheezy" that it is not going to be developed anymore.

Will it be possible to add links to your google-drive somehow on http://smokey01.com/saintless, probably not direct links but maybe in a textfile then.
I'll try to think of other ideas later.

Fred
saintless

PostPosted: Sat 10 Jan 2015, 16:44    Post subject:  

Hi, Fred.

Yes, I have 2Gb on smokey01.com but yesterday I downloaded all the content on my hdd and it was over 1,9Gb. So I removed DebianDog-Sid to be sure we have some space for extra modules and packages. Now it is over 1,6Gb full.
The problem is DD-Wheezy has too many modules and packages and it takes more and more space (over 1,2Gb to the moment are DD-Wheezy files). Not much space left for anything else than DD-Wheezy anymore on smokey01.com and we need to keep some free space for more deb packages for DD repository.

I just made second google drive backup but it took me hours uploading all files. Now we have them both linked in next version changes post:
DebianDog backup download site
DebianDog second backup download site
All files from smokey01.com and much more is uploaded there.
No need yet to remove Squeeze or Porteus-Wheezy but I thought the same for Sid version few months ago Smile

I will add the information about Porteus-Wheezy tomorrow and test also portablesfs.

Toni

stemsee

PostPosted: Sat 10 Jan 2015, 17:10    Post subject:  

Hi all

I was testing my Nicons icon management on DD the jwm one, and it seems the pinboard and wallpaper (per desktop already) uses non standard directories and mechanisms. I was able to draw icon paths, which is the most useful feature anyway!

Could you detail the folders and files in use! Cheers!
2015-01-10-230531_1366x768_scrot.jpeg
 Description   
 Filesize   47.27 KB
 Viewed   225 Time(s)

2015-01-10-230531_1366x768_scrot.jpeg

saintless

PostPosted: Sat 10 Jan 2015, 17:27    Post subject:  

Hi, Stemsee.
Nice screenshot Smile
This part in $HOME/.jwm/jwm.tail generates $HOME/.jwm/.jwmrc after running update-menus command and changes the wallapers:
Code:
   <!-- Number of virtual desktops -->
   <Desktops  width="4" height="1">
    <Desktop Name="One">
     <Background type="command">desktop.ctrl 1</Background>
    </Desktop>
    <Desktop Name="Two">
     <Background type="command">desktop.ctrl 2</Background>
    </Desktop>
    <Desktop Name="Three">
     <Background type="command">desktop.ctrl 3</Background>
    </Desktop>
    <Desktop Name="Four">
     <Background type="command">desktop.ctrl 4</Background>
    </Desktop>
   </Desktops>

The wallpapers for each desktop are set from Terry's /opt/bin/wallpapers.gui utility. It has Wallapers icon on the desktop.

Rox pinboard is $HOME/.config/rox.sourceforge.net/ROX-Filer/pinbd

Toni

stemsee

PostPosted: Sat 10 Jan 2015, 20:00    Post subject:  

Thanks @ saintless

It would be convenient if the screen shot utility had a preset for forum compatibility. As it is now I have to edit the .png in mtpaint to scale down to 640x400

regards
stemsee
saintless

PostPosted: Sun 11 Jan 2015, 02:45    Post subject:  

stemsee wrote:
It would be convenient if the screen shot utility had a preset for forum compatibility. As it is now I have to edit the .png in mtpaint to scale down to 640x400

Even more convenient if the forum had such option for automatic picture resizing using Add Attachment Smile
Mod scrotdlg as you like, Stemsee, or use PicDrop on the desktop instead Mtpaint.

Toni
2015-01-11-083027_1152x864_scrot.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   73.42 KB
 Viewed   178 Time(s)

2015-01-11-083027_1152x864_scrot.jpg

Page 276 of 283 [4236 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 274, 275, 276, 277, 278, ..., 281, 282, 283 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Jump to: