Keisha

some Puppies lack LD_LIBRARY_PATH

#4121 Post by Keisha »

fredx181 wrote:

Code: Select all

echo librarypath=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
librarypath=
It's empty.

Can't figure out why yet, I'll search for it tomorrow.

Fred
Some recent Puppies do not have an LD_LIBRARY_PATH. For example, these lines are in /etc/.profile in Quirky Unicorn 6.21, full install to hard disk partition:

#140204 no longer exporting LD_LIBRARY_PATH. see also /usr/local/petget/installpkg.sh, removepreview.sh
#140206 remove LD_LIBRARY_PATH completely.
Might have something to do with the fact that most libs in Quirky Unicorn are in /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu --I suspect that whatever program does the library-loading-and-linking is nowadays hard-coded to look there first.

fredx181

#4122 Post by fredx181 »

Keisha wrote:Some recent Puppies do not have an LD_LIBRARY_PATH. For example, these lines are in /etc/.profile in Quirky Unicorn 6.21, full install to hard disk partition:
Thanks, yes, but for standard Debian it's the same, this is about custom LD_LIBRARY_PATH we have set in DebianDog (/opt/lib and /usr/local/lib)
Without using sudo it's not empty.

I found that this is default behaviour for sudo to not preserve custom library path, see here for example:
http://final-world-domination.blogspot. ... ypath.html

Try on DD as normal user

sudo printenv
and LD_LIBRARY_PATH does not show.
Without sudo it does show.

Fred

Keisha

#4123 Post by Keisha »

Aha.

I just discovered this distro or set of distro's. Trying both the jwm-rtai and the openbox spins now, on an i5-3570k desktop.

I have never used Debian, and I have a year of thread to catch up on!

fredx181

#4124 Post by fredx181 »

Hi Toni,
It is the same with the other 2 abiword modules and gnumeric here:
http://smokey01.com/saintless/DebianDog/Extra-modules/
All can't find the included in /opt/lib libs from user account using modulename-portable script.
From what I've read from a web search there are a few solutions possible:
- From as you can read here to set an alias for sudo in ~/.bashrc:
http://final-world-domination.blogspot. ... ypath.html
But this will change the default sudo behaviour.
- Put an export line for LD_LIBRARY_PATH on top in portable-sfs (template) script.
This will cover only portable-sfs of course.
- Or change gsu scripts with env LD_LIBRARY_PATH added to sudo commandline.
This will change gsu "sudo" behaviour and works without having to change portable-sfs and works also for other scripts (with gsu line) depending on /opt/lib or /usr/local/lib
I'd like to know your opinion (of course :)) but anyway here's attached gsu-notimeout_gsu-timeout_gsu-xterm.tar.gz.

Edit: I have my doubts btw about how it works to run a program created with portable-sfs as a user:
For example abiword, it runs as root, I think it should be as user, what do you think?

Edit: Sorry, Re-uploaded atachment gsu-notimeout_gsu-timeout_gsu-xterm.tar.gz
Needs quotes around $cmd as this :

echo "$pass" | sudo -S env LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/opt/lib:/usr/local/lib sh -c "$cmd"
It can take multiple arguments now.

Fred
Attachments
gsu-notimeout_gsu-timeout_gsu-xterm.tar.gz
re uploaded gsu scripts with added LD_LIBRARY_PATH for /opt/lib and /usr/local/lib
(812 Bytes) Downloaded 210 times
Last edited by fredx181 on Sun 04 Jan 2015, 23:26, edited 1 time in total.

saintless

#4125 Post by saintless »

fredx181 wrote:This will change gsu "sudo" behaviour and works without having to change portable-sfs and works also for other scripts (with gsu line) depending on /opt/lib or /usr/local/lib
I'd like to know your opinion (of course :)) but anyway here's attached gsu-notimeout_gsu-timeout_gsu-xterm.tar.gz.
Thanks, Fred! I think adding env LD_LIBRARY_PATH in gsu is fine. I will rebuild the packages in the next days.
BTW take a look when you have time at gsu-gksu deb if you see something wrong with it:
http://smokey01.com/saintless/DebianDog ... 0_i386.deb
Edit: I have my doubts btw about how it works to run a program created with portable-sfs as a user:
For example abiword, it runs as root, I think it should be as user, what do you think?
It is difficult to answer. It is better to run abiword and other similar programs that do not need sudo as user but what is the point to have portablesfs if it only loads the module, then the user runs manually the program and manually unloads the module. Maybe we should keep portablesfs only for root account without menu entry for user... or just leave it as it is. It is not big problem.

I'm working on removing obshutdown from jwm-porteus-boot and I think I'm almost ready. 021-apps-porteus will be removed for next version. I will need only the scripts from /usr/bin and /usr/local/bin included in the main module. When I'm ready I will update the changes post with the information we discuss now.

Toni

fredx181

#4126 Post by fredx181 »

Hi Toni,
BTW take a look when you have time at gsu-gksu deb if you see something wrong with it:
http://smokey01.com/saintless/DebianDog ... 0_i386.deb
Thanks, I'm beginning to understand now how you package it, with the check of existing file /opt/docs/debdognew in postinst etc.. and tested it, works fine.
I forgot to mention btw that together with the LD_LIBRARY_PATH change for yad-gsu I also changed little bit the code for "command not found" at the bottom of script, now it checks for return value 127 (which is officially "command not found"), so it's more clean and simple.
Maybe we should keep portablesfs only for root account without menu entry for user... or just leave it as it is. It is not big problem.
I agree, not a big problem, however I like the concept of this and I'm working on it to make it better support for multi-user.
I'm working on removing obshutdown from jwm-porteus-boot and I think I'm almost ready. 021-apps-porteus will be removed for next version.
That's nice! Just one module for Jwm version.

Fred

saintless

#4127 Post by saintless »

Hi, Fred.

The post for next version updated with all changes to the moment (I hope):
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 368#776368

gsu_1.0.1_i386.deb - latest fixed gsu scripts from you added in the package.

gsu_1.0.0_i386.deb - added dependency xterm inside control and only /opt/bin/gsu-xterm replaced with the latest fixed version.

I have one small problem with IceWM to fix after removing obshutdown and I will continue converting some more packages for the testing repository.

Edit: Download links changed after moving the repo.
Toni
Last edited by saintless on Wed 07 Jan 2015, 19:06, edited 1 time in total.

saintless

#4128 Post by saintless »

Hi, Fred.

Just moved the testing repository to official debdog repository location here:
http://smokey01.com/saintless/DebianDog/Packages/
We can add it in sources list for next version. I'm sure some more changes will be needed but I think the packages are good to go for official use and there is no more need from testing repository.

Edit: wxhexeditor deb must be moved from section included to extra but I will do it when we have something more to add/change.

Toni

fredx181

#4129 Post by fredx181 »

Hi Toni,
Just moved the testing repository to official debdog repository location here:
http://smokey01.com/saintless/DebianDog/Packages/
We can add it in sources list for next version. I'm sure some more changes will be needed but I think the packages are good to go for official use and there is no more need from testing repository.
Great! Just did a quick test and it seems to work well.

Still working on the portablesfs script, made a lot of progress for multi-user support but not finished yet.

Fred

saintless

#4130 Post by saintless »

Take your time, Fred.
I will do some more testing with linux-image-3.4-9-rtai-686-pae addition for DebianDog.
I can't make it as separate squashfs module like the others. It needs many non-free firmware packages like:

firmware-ivtv, firmware-realtek, firmware-myricom, firmware-atheros, firmware-bnx2x, firmware-netxen, firmware-iwlwifi, firmware-ipw2x00, firmware-libertas, firmware-intelwimax, firmware-brcm80211, firmware-qlogic, firmware-bnx2...
If I make the module without them I can't get eth0 up and working. I will make a post with alternative install method using deb packages with non-free dependencies. I have linux-headers-rtai working also for installing virtualbox and similar software. The good thing is DebianDog can get working linuxcnc in few minutes keeping all available boot methods for rtai kernel. Not like I will need it but it could be useful option in the future for someone.

Toni

fredx181

#4131 Post by fredx181 »

Hi Toni,
Take your time, Fred.
I did,went through testing different scenarios for portablesfs.
To achieve multi-user support the only way I could find is to run the portable-script as root first and then redirect to the user currently logged-in.
Also I wanted to find a way to make it possible to run the portable script (and module) from inside the "virtual" filesystem e.g. from /root and also to make it work from a full install.
So: two modes to create the portable script:
- SFS-load mode (as it was already, just added multi-user support)
- Chroot mode (works from full install and from inside "virtual" filesystem)
For the "Chroot mode" I got the valuable info from here (thanks to mikeb):
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=90909

Included in the attached archive: portable-sfs.tar.gz, is also /usr/bin/unionfs-fuse (small binary from Wheezy) which is required by the "chroot mode"
I thought better not to make a .deb package from it, IMO, unionfs-fuse in /usr/bin doesn't do any harm, tell me if you think different.
For more info about "Chroot mode" and running as user or root, click on the "Information" button.

Test when you like, I know it's not important change but I have *something* with "portable", so see it as a hobby of mine :)

Edit: Re-uploaded portable-sfs.tar.gz,
Small change, added "export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/opt/lib:/usr/local/lib" to /opt/docs/portablesfs-chroot.template
This way it works also with older gsu installed, (when logged in with normal user account)

Edit2: Removed attachment for now, need to work some more on error checking.

Edit3: Re-uploaded, changes for the "Chroot mode":
- more error checking added (makes sure everything is properly unmounted after usage)
- added mount binds besides /proc for /dev and /sys (might be needed for some programs).

Fred
Attachments
portable-sfs.tar.gz
Re-uploaded: New portablesfs with added "Chroot mode"
(21.4 KiB) Downloaded 214 times
Last edited by fredx181 on Sat 10 Jan 2015, 17:48, edited 3 times in total.

saintless

#4132 Post by saintless »

Hi, Fred.
I'm not sure when I will have a chance to test full install but I will try in the next few days. Too busy with work and other things unfortunately. When I finish rtai kernel setup option for DebianDog I will start testing portablesfs. I'm almost ready btw.
fredx181 wrote:Included in the attached archive: portable-sfs.tar.gz, is also /usr/bin/unionfs-fuse (small binary from Wheezy) which is required by the "chroot mode"
I thought better not to make a .deb package from it, IMO, unionfs-fuse in /usr/bin doesn't do any harm, tell me if you think different.
I agree about no deb package for portablesfs but what happens if the user install and then remove unionfs-fuse? Then I think portablesfs will stop working in chroot mode.

I suggest adding "apt-get install unionfs-fuse" for next version. It will be manually installed this way and it is only 28Kb.

Edit: Maybe deb package portablesfs with dependency unionfs-fuse is not bad idea too.

Toni

fredx181

#4133 Post by fredx181 »

Toni wrote:I agree about no deb package for portablesfs but what happens if the user install and then remove unionfs-fuse? Then I think portablesfs will stop working in chroot mode.
Yes, of course, I had the feeling already that I missed something.
Edit: Maybe deb package portablesfs with dependency unionfs-fuse is not bad idea too.
I think also, if you agree (after you tested portablesfs in the next days) I will make it.

Edit: Re-uploaded portable-sfs.tar.gz, see my Edit on previous post.
Works in Chroot mode with older gsu also now, when logged in with normal user account.

Edit2: Re-uploaded, see Edit3 on previous post.

Fred

saintless

#4134 Post by saintless »

Hi, Fred.

I will test your new portablesfs.
I had to remove DebianDog-Sid files from the main site. The post about it is changed with google drive links. I will make one more google account to copy the content from the backup site. It is over 8 Gb with some hidden testing files.

Seems we have around 1,2Gb files for DebianDog-Wheezy only here:
http://smokey01.com/saintless/DebianDog/
I think after Sid version is removed we can add maximum 200-250 Mb more.
Maybe at some point in the future I will have to keep there only DebianDog-Wheezy files changing the download links for Squeeze and Porteus-Wheezy to google drive. Or to remove some kernel modules and system modules for Wheezy keeping them in google drive only. I guess some modules for wheezy are not needed anyway. But with sure we will not have free space for jessie and Sid version later in the main site.
Suggestion what to keep untouched in the main site and what to remove in the future and which google drive to choose as second main site is welcome, Fred.

Toni

fredx181

#4135 Post by fredx181 »

saintless wrote: I had to remove DebianDog-Sid files from the main site. The post about it is changed with google drive links. I will make one more google account to copy the content from the backup site. It is over 8 Gb with some hidden testing files.

Seems we have around 1,2Gb files for DebianDog-Wheezy only here:
http://smokey01.com/saintless/DebianDog/
I think after Sid version is removed we can add maximum 200-250 Mb more.
Maybe at some point in the future I will have to keep there only DebianDog-Wheezy files changing the download links for Squeeze and Porteus-Wheezy to google drive. Or to remove some kernel modules and system modules for Wheezy keeping them in google drive only. I guess some modules for wheezy are not needed anyway. But with sure we will not have free space for jessie and Sid version later in the main site.
Suggestion what to keep untouched in the main site and what to remove in the future and which google drive to choose as second main site is welcome, Fred.

Toni
That's bad news!
What's the change all of a sudden then? There's still 2G you have, I assume.

What I wanted to mention already is that I don't have plans to update Porteus-Wheezy + packages anymore, so I'm ok with it if you move it to your google-drive.
Maybe also then you can write in the first post of "Light-Debian-Core-Live-CD-Wheezy + Porteus-Wheezy" that it is not going to be developed anymore.

Will it be possible to add links to your google-drive somehow on http://smokey01.com/saintless, probably not direct links but maybe in a textfile then.
I'll try to think of other ideas later.

Fred

saintless

#4136 Post by saintless »

Hi, Fred.

Yes, I have 2Gb on smokey01.com but yesterday I downloaded all the content on my hdd and it was over 1,9Gb. So I removed DebianDog-Sid to be sure we have some space for extra modules and packages. Now it is over 1,6Gb full.
The problem is DD-Wheezy has too many modules and packages and it takes more and more space (over 1,2Gb to the moment are DD-Wheezy files). Not much space left for anything else than DD-Wheezy anymore on smokey01.com and we need to keep some free space for more deb packages for DD repository.

I just made second google drive backup but it took me hours uploading all files. Now we have them both linked in next version changes post:
DebianDog backup download site
DebianDog second backup download site
All files from smokey01.com and much more is uploaded there.
No need yet to remove Squeeze or Porteus-Wheezy but I thought the same for Sid version few months ago :)

I will add the information about Porteus-Wheezy tomorrow and test also portablesfs.

Toni

stemsee

#4137 Post by stemsee »

Hi all

I was testing my Nicons icon management on DD the jwm one, and it seems the pinboard and wallpaper (per desktop already) uses non standard directories and mechanisms. I was able to draw icon paths, which is the most useful feature anyway!

Could you detail the folders and files in use! Cheers!
Attachments
2015-01-10-230531_1366x768_scrot.jpeg
(47.27 KiB) Downloaded 243 times

saintless

#4138 Post by saintless »

Hi, Stemsee.
Nice screenshot :)
This part in $HOME/.jwm/jwm.tail generates $HOME/.jwm/.jwmrc after running update-menus command and changes the wallapers:

<!-- Number of virtual desktops -->
   <Desktops  width="4" height="1">
    <Desktop Name="One">
     <Background type="command">desktop.ctrl 1</Background>
    </Desktop>
    <Desktop Name="Two">
     <Background type="command">desktop.ctrl 2</Background>
    </Desktop>
    <Desktop Name="Three">
     <Background type="command">desktop.ctrl 3</Background>
    </Desktop>
    <Desktop Name="Four">
     <Background type="command">desktop.ctrl 4</Background>
    </Desktop>
   </Desktops>
The wallpapers for each desktop are set from Terry's /opt/bin/wallpapers.gui utility. It has Wallapers icon on the desktop.

Rox pinboard is $HOME/.config/rox.sourceforge.net/ROX-Filer/pinbd

Toni

stemsee

#4139 Post by stemsee »

Thanks @ saintless

It would be convenient if the screen shot utility had a preset for forum compatibility. As it is now I have to edit the .png in mtpaint to scale down to 640x400

regards
stemsee

saintless

#4140 Post by saintless »

stemsee wrote:It would be convenient if the screen shot utility had a preset for forum compatibility. As it is now I have to edit the .png in mtpaint to scale down to 640x400
Even more convenient if the forum had such option for automatic picture resizing using Add Attachment :)
Mod scrotdlg as you like, Stemsee, or use PicDrop on the desktop instead Mtpaint.

Toni
Attachments
2015-01-11-083027_1152x864_scrot.jpg
(73.42 KiB) Downloaded 196 times