Slacko5.7-2015 and 2015a

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
8Geee

Slacko5.7-2015 and 2015a

#1 Post by 8Geee »

This is the stable version of slack57-ff27e. All updates/patches to bash, wget, and openssl are finished and running smooth. NOTE that only the i915/945 chipsets are supported, limiting usage to 700, 900, and some 100x series of the EEE netbook. If you have a 101x, 102x, 11xx, or 12xx series, the "full driver" version "slack57-ff27" should be used here...
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 499#818499

kernal 3.4.82 non-pae(4G)
wget 1.16
bash 4.3.30-1
openssl 1.0.1j

Adblock Edge has had three of its five redundant storage copies removed, and firefox-27 has been tweaked to accept this. The result is an iso of 152MB a savings of nearly 15MB. File System size is also reduced to about 440MB, a reduction of about 25MB.

Slacko5.7-2015 has NO Flash, NO Office, and NO Java (javascript=YES). There is an HTML5 app for YouTube that works well as configured. JWM is the windows manager, and Burniso2CD is the default burner/ripper. Save are "zeroed" meaning save on shutdown only, with manual (SAVE icon) override. THirty (30) minutes after last mouse-use, the system shuts down. This can be altered in Puppy Event Manager. MTPaint in... GIMP out.

This puppy is nearly turn-key, just add your personal files in mnt/home, and import your firefox bookmarks (or transfer using HTML option).

The download is found at https://archive.org/details/slacko5.7-2015 . There is an md5sum file there with notes.

md5sum is 6c343a9a8c0127c5867be3e6d619c523
iso size is 159381504 Bytes (155646KB 151.998MB)

UPDATE:
The revised version including openssl 1.0.1k, and traffic-light drive icons is ready, and tested a few days. Furtther file trimmings, privacy tweaks, and a few more screenys included. This version 143.195Mb with file usage about 415Mb.

slacko5.7-2015a.iso is available here. The md5Notes file explains the traffic-lights.

md5sum c5d043e9d929daabed482ab2e3f4e047
size 150151168 bytes (146632Kb 143.195Mb)
Last edited by 8Geee on Thu 09 Apr 2015, 15:49, edited 4 times in total.
Linux user #498913 "Some people need to reimagine their thinking."
"Zuckerberg: a large city inhabited by mentally challenged people."

ally

#2 Post by ally »

been looking for an eeepc update, will take for a spin in the next couple of days

mirrored here: http://archive.org/download/Puppy_Linux ... 7-2015.iso and here:

http://archive.org/download/PuppyLinuxP ... 7-2015.iso

:)

8Geee

#3 Post by 8Geee »

Thanks ally, and Happy GNU year.

I will be getting the full version uploaded Friday or Saturday. My uploads keep breaking randomly. That will remain in the original thread.

**edit** The full-driver version is uploaded. 01/02/15 19:40GMT/UT
Last edited by 8Geee on Fri 02 Jan 2015, 19:55, edited 1 time in total.

starhawk

#4 Post by starhawk »

Screenshots?

8Geee

#5 Post by 8Geee »

Here's the default screeny... a few others in /root/my-applications/MyFiles

http://www.datafilehost.com/d/0c378a64
http://www.datafilehost.com/d/dc108dc6
http://www.datafilehost.com/d/beb1fa5f

This link will instruct on 700 series (Celeron) processors with the 800x480 screen rez.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 599#799599

8Geee

openssl 101k

#6 Post by 8Geee »

A reminder to check Updates Manager in Menu --> Setup. There is a new openssl version that fixes a few problems encountered in the "J" version. Also, there is a new "solib" that should be D/L with the version.

digger77

#7 Post by digger77 »

Thanks for your work on this, much appreciated.
I'm running it on an asus eee pc 701 and everything works by default, youtube is fine, etc.
Much better than the default linux distro it came with and the XP install i've used with it for years.

starhawk

#8 Post by starhawk »

Not bad, aesthetically :) particularly for Puppy!

8Geee

#9 Post by 8Geee »

I tried to get a few nice WP's. One however with the moose keeps going binary on me and won't load. Might need a replacement.

Thanks digger77 I tried to make it turn-key with some privacy.

I have a friend with an old 2G-surf, and I just put FreeOffice in it for him & wife. Fairly compact connsidering, but needs a 2Gb partition in USB flash.

8Geee

#10 Post by 8Geee »

Just a note here that I've been trying to minimize the partition size as an experiment. Essentially the BASE install with personal files in mnt/home can fit in a 384Mb partition (I have done 320Mb incliding a 128Mb save).

So for the learning experience, I then booted this distro from cd and added FreeOffice-697, applied the key, added two desktop icons, remastered, burned the iso, and did a frugal install. This is a base office load that can actually fit in a 512Mb partition including a 256Mb save with about 50Mb to spare. (the iso size reports as just under 190,000,000 bytes)

So as narrow full installs, slacko5.7-2015 can indeed be made rather small. If I may, it appears that a 512Mb partition is OK as BASE, and 1Gb with FreeOffice would be plenty, and would fit even in a 2G-surf Eee. Frugal installs could follow the same guidelines give or take your particular storage needs.

I do not plan a FreeOffice version, but installation into /opt is recommended. Remember to delete the "tgz" files as you go.

I will be translating some LO files in the near future to retire my copy of Puppy Slacko XL.

Mayou

152 MB ! Too much

#11 Post by Mayou »

Thin Slacko 5.3.3 will last on my computer. My Ram is 512,
Either you choose fatness or speed.
I am happy with 533thin. It was just for a visit here.
EEE netbook.: sorry sir, i should have read the topic.

rodocop

#12 Post by rodocop »

Sorry, cannot shutdown for the first time: save file is created but isn't filled by changes and shutdown process brakes every time.

Also attempting to exit without saving file leads to nothing: even countdown flashes away after first tick.

No way to save or exit even through 'Exit to Prompt'.

ASUS EEEPC 701 4g.

8Geee

#13 Post by 8Geee »

Did you use Puppy Universal Installer?
Did you save to a partition on a USB stick or the SSD?
Was this a frugal install or a full install?

In general, I use the Installer to copy Puppy to a boot enabled USB flash partition. Doing a shutdown with save to that flash partition works fine.

Things to consider:
Run from CD
Gpart the flashstick: partition (1Gb os OK) to ext3, and set the boot flag.
Run the Universal installer to load the flash stick
Disconnect the CD
Shutdown
Select the flash stick as place to save
Select ext3 (3fs) as the file type
Choose to encrypt or not
Select the size of the save, usually 128 or 256 Mb is OK
It takes a long time to run, longer on a 700 series
Eventually the 'puter should shutdown/save this also takes a bit of time.
On reboot F2 to change boot process to the stick first

IMHO this is the method a great majority of people use IF NOT RUNNING AS A LIVE CD.

Of course, you could have a bad download or burned the CD too fast, these are also known things that go wrong.

Did you ever have Windows installed? Even now?

8Geee

#14 Post by 8Geee »

In Other News

In a different thread the subject of Browsers came up and naturally FF has some stupid tricks, as all do. If you have been using slacko5.7-2015 and the save size is shrinking, there is a small fix that can be applied.

Essentially FF stores a start-up cache. This cache is located in ~/.cache
view all files has to be enabled just click on the <o> "eye".
navigating through folders is intuitive to find a compressed file with a .4.little extension.

Right click and choose properties to see how big it is. On narrow installs where size does matter, the 'little' cache can be defeated then eliminated. BUT A NEW 'little' cache will be formed from scratch.

Rename the 'little' to 'zip'. This in case FF gets upset, you can just change back to 'little'. Some folks have complicated setups, so this manner is a bit safer allowing rescue.

Once the NEW 'little' is generated, delete the 'zip' to free up a few megabytes.

Save files of 3fs and 4fs will show the delta size once the 'zip' is deleted.
Unfortunately 2fs cannot accomplish this feat.

BTW, don't forget this trick before remastering.

8Geee

AN EXPERIMENT

#15 Post by 8Geee »

In the last few days, slacko5.7-2015 has had several experiments performed upon it, primarily for narrow installs where space is at a premium. As is, the pup can be loaded into a 384Mb partition with a 256Mb save, suitable for most people in a casual surf environment.

If one needs an office; spreadsheet, word processor, and presentations, I just finished up a minimal install of FreeOffice. Its being used right now, and has become my personal default 'puppy'. FO-697 is installed as US ENGLISH only, and thus trimmed quite a bit. A full version has language selections based primarily upon European languages with UK English and US English.

Since most Eee's came with Open Office-2, I thought an office build would be a more 'transparent' user experience. And this is for the most part. The exception office-wise is ods (open-office spreadsheets) don't open in FreeOffice. Not to worry, Older Microsoft Excel versions will cooperate. The exception desktop-wise is that the 700 series smaller screen needs a third column for the office icons, its pretty crowded already. PuppyPin is your friend for this task.

Now, the size of the distro-iso is a meager 180Mb, and can be run in a 512Mb partition with a 128Mb save. I have also made an iso for the 'fd' version using a FULL FreeOffice install. I won't release that as its just a simple load/run of FreeOffice in the base-distro. But to compare, the latter iso is 227Mb and should use a 768Mb partition with 256Mb save.

With a difference of 47Mb iso-size, I thought it better to release the small-office build. Just a note that if one needs other languages, to load a full install and trim out the languages not needed. There will be quite a savings.

So if this is something you would like, or just noodle around, (remember US English ONLY)

https://archive.org/details/slackeee-57fo

is the place to try it out.

rodocop

#16 Post by rodocop »

8Geee wrote:Did you use Puppy Universal Installer?
Did you save to a partition on a USB stick or the SSD?
Was this a frugal install or a full install?
Of course, you could have a bad download or burned the CD too fast, these are also known things that go wrong.
Did you ever have Windows installed? Even now?
It was manual frugal installation into the Windows XP PC: it has Grub4DOS installed some time ago with windows installer puppy or by Grub4DOS puppy installer (cannot remember now).

Time to time I'm trying new puplets by creating new folder, unpacking 3 files (vmlinuz, initrd and sfs) there and updating menu.lst.

I never was faced with such a case of not saving while had installed more than 20 puplets on different PCs (including current one) by this method.

8Geee

#17 Post by 8Geee »

Hmmm... I don't come from an XP or Windows enviroment. Mine was with Linux to Linux. Its different, and I'm not sure of your problem at all. I decided to buy an external full size cd/dvd burner for $50 and let the eee do the work. Newegg has these.

Judging your recent post, it looks like the save file is not being created. Perhaps installing a blank sfs file, properly named would help.

See this posting http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 082#751082

How did you format the USB stick? the sfs file must be ext2,3,or 4. You might be having a formatting problem W32 --> ext . In Grub4DOS the boot partition is FAT16 16Mb size, the rest of the stick should be ext. Perhaps syslinux is a better choice.

Have you tried this ?[/url]

8Geee

GHOST and servers

#18 Post by 8Geee »

In the "full driver" version, I posted some concerns about gHOST and servers. Such things apply here, and I'd recommend a glance at the link. It may not apply, or it may. If you have used a slacko-derivative, I ask if the provided update links to glibc 2.15.9. Comments are appreciated on this topic.

regards 8Geee

8Geee

Testing an Update

#19 Post by 8Geee »

Recently in thee past weeks experimenting with the pup, I found I can trim quite a bit more from the iso, and get the openssl 1.0.1.k installed with library files. I'm currently posting with it. The servers will remain, as the eeepc is becoming legacy. Whereas the original distro has a 152Mb iso, the revised version will be 143.2Mb. Extra screenys added, and my new simple "Traffic Light" drive icons found here..

When uploaded, a separate file for the drive icons will be included for those that want just the icons. A guide text will be included. For those D/L the distro the md5Notes will explain the interpretations (color of light, and traffic light itself).

The "full-driver version" not included, just the older eee's.

8Geee

#20 Post by 8Geee »

The slacko5.7-2015a version is now uploaded. A reminder that 'other files' contain the tarball for for the drive icons only, in case you want to try them elsewhere. The icon set is already included in this 2015a revision.

The revision is posted in the first post of this thread as UPDATE.

regards
8Geee