(OLD) (ARCHIVED) Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index (OLD) (ARCHIVED) Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

This forum can also be accessed as http://oldforum.puppylinux.com
It is now read-only and serves only as archives.

Please register over the NEW forum
https://forum.puppylinux.com
and continue your work there. Thank you.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups    
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Wed 23 Sep 2020, 13:37
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Carolina: Vanguard Edition Release 2 December 2014
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic
Page 8 of 41 [615 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, ..., 39, 40, 41 Next
yerc1

PostPosted: Sun 21 Dec 2014, 03:44    Post subject:  

@gcmartin, Indeed in true Aussie style we have a neighbourhood group that gets their internet as you described.

@Geoffrey, Telstra was giving me the alibi that there was no port available each time I rang for an update. Lucky I went through another provider on The Telstra network. From them I learned that my area is on a pair gain system which, I learned from Whirlpool, meant basically a nil chance to get ADSL. Armed with this information, I pushed for Telstra to admit my application should not have progressed to phone line connection. As they had no plan to upgrade, they refunded my land phone connection costs and agreed to disconnect the phone at no cost.

Sorry for hijacking this thread...
Geoffrey

PostPosted: Sun 21 Dec 2014, 20:09    Post subject:  

I loaded the xaralx-1785.sfs from the repo.
Code:
# /opt/xaralx/bin/xaralx: error while loading shared libraries: libstdc++.so.5: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Needs libstdc++.so.5.0.6 and libstdc++.so.5 from Carolina 1.2/1.3

I'm not sure what other applications need this, though it is in Saluki and Racy also.

most likely need to keep these files in Vanguard for compatibility

elroy

PostPosted: Wed 31 Dec 2014, 06:11    Post subject: compiling  

Beautiful! And snappy. Running on an AMD Sempron SI-42 processor. Everything booted up fine. Running without a savefile, I loaded the devsfs and tried to compile a few apps as a test.

Results:
Code:
leafpad-0.8.18.1

./configure --prefix=/usr
make

gtkprint.c:108:3: warning: floating constant truncated to zero [-Woverflow]
   page_width - layout_width / PANGO_SCALE, - 72 / 25.4 * 10);
   ^
gcc: internal compiler error: Segmentation fault (program cc1)
0xb74fee1d __libc_start_main
   /mnt/sda3/Saluki/Chrome/GCC-GLIBC/glibc-2.20/csu/libc-start.c:289

Code:
bcrypt-1.1

no config for this one, just a make...

wrapzl.c: In function 'docompress':
wrapzl.c:18:3: warning: floating constant truncated to zero [-Woverflow]
   newsz = sz + (sz *.1) + 13;
   ^
gcc -O2 -o bcrypt main.o blowfish.o rwfile.o keys.o wrapbf.o endian.o wrapzl.o -L/usr/local/lib -lz

Code:
xz-5.0.5

./configure --prefix=/usr
make

message.c: In function 'progress_speed':
message.c:380:4: warning: floating constant truncated to zero [-Woverflow]
    / ((double)(elapsed) * (1024.0 / 1e6));
    ^
r-arith:380:4: internal compiler error: Segmentation fault
0xb74a2dc7 ???
   /mnt/sda3/Saluki/Chrome/GCC-GLIBC/glibc-2.20/signal/../sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/i386/sigaction.c:0

It's interesting that two of the resulting tests both reference a hard-coded path - /mnt/sda3/Saluki/Chrome/GCC-GLIBC/glibc-2.20. Is it possible this is a toolchain path that didn't get adjusted properly? I don't have a sda3 on my machine.

Regardess, this sure is a fetching pup Smile For myself, everything 'cept the compiling seems to work OOTB.
Geoffrey

PostPosted: Wed 31 Dec 2014, 20:49    Post subject: Re: compiling  

elroy wrote:
It's interesting that two of the resulting tests both reference a hard-coded path - /mnt/sda3/Saluki/Chrome/GCC-GLIBC/glibc-2.20. Is it possible this is a toolchain path that didn't get adjusted properly? I don't have a sda3 on my machine.

Regardess, this sure is a fetching pup Smile For myself, everything 'cept the compiling seems to work OOTB.

Yeah I noticed that, I'm sure battleshooter is on to it, but overall it is a vast improvement with newer application compatibility, has to get even better once the bugs are sorted.

Nice to see your still hanging about Wink

battleshooter

PostPosted: Thu 01 Jan 2015, 06:12    Post subject:  

Yes! Finally got internet back today Smile

elroy wrote:
Beautiful! And snappy.

Thanks elroy! Very Happy

elroy wrote:

Yeah, that's been giving me grief for weeks now. What's interesting though is you got the error on an AMD machine, everyone, myself included has been reporting compiler errors only on Intel CPU machines.

Geoffrey wrote:
I'm sure battleshooter is on to it

It's been slow going though, I don't have an Intel machine so I have to borrow one whenever I think I may have compiled a fix, at this stage I'm thinking of just buying one on Ebay and keeping it as a test machine. Noticed one for $10, hoping I can snag that.

I notice on the borrowed Intel machine I can't compile GCC in the original Carolina without getting:

Code:
floating constant truncated to zero [-Woverflow]

Not really sure what's going on. I don't suppose you might have a clue elroy?

Geoffrey wrote:
Needs libstdc++.so.5.0.6 and libstdc++.so.5 from Carolina 1.2/1.3

I'm not sure what other applications need this, though it is in Saluki and Racy also.

most likely need to keep these files in Vanguard for compatibility

Ok, noted, thanks as always Smile

yerc1 wrote:
Sorry for hijacking this thread...

Don't really mind, free thread bumps right? Wink

I was stuck on a Telstra mobile broadband plan for 2 years, gah, they charge so much for so little. The only thing I miss about it is the unlimited downloads just before they slap you with the speed cap Laughing

yerc1 wrote:
So I have to go through hoops to get a measly 1.4 Gb 4G data on Te$tra Prepaid Cap encore $30 a month. I also pay them $50 per mo on a Wi-Fi plan for only 8 Gb. $80 that would have been unlimited ADSL2+

Bendigo Bank Telco offers 15GB for $59 mobile broadband. If Optus covers your area you might find that a good deal instead of the Telstra 8GB for $50. I remember that plan and sniggering as the Telstra lady asked why I was leaving their service, and on finding it was a price issue she offered $10 off.

Terry H wrote:
Carolina 1.3 Vanguard (frugal install on internal HDD) won't shutdown.

Hmm. Not sure I've encountered that before. Does dmesg say anything concerning the issue? Also, how are you shutting down? Just by clicking the icon on the application menu?

And of course... Happy new Year everyone! Here's to a year full of astonishing Puppy advancements Wink

elroy

PostPosted: Thu 01 Jan 2015, 06:59    Post subject: shutdown solution  

The shutdown issues may be caused by a missing file - the easy solution is to open the terminal and enter the following:
Code:
touch ~/.shutdown_action

No clue for this one yet Sad
Code:
floating constant truncated to zero [-Woverflow]

I'm really liking it, though. It has a modern feel to it, that's for sure.

EDIT: Nope...shutdown worked once, but now shutdown is rebooting again.

Last edited by elroy on Thu 01 Jan 2015, 08:55; edited 1 time in total
infromthepound

PostPosted: Thu 01 Jan 2015, 07:42    Post subject:  

[quote="battleshooter"]Yes! Finally got internet back today Smile

[
It's been slow going though, I don't have an Intel machine so I have to borrow one whenever I think I may have compiled a fix, at this stage I'm thinking of just buying one on Ebay and keeping it as a test machine. Noticed one for $10, hoping I can snag that. ]

Hi, where are you, I have several reasonably decent ones I have been given to be used form charity.
Unfortunatly no one wants them anymore, so I have 7 or 8 in the shed.
If you want one free, I can get it as far as Melbourne if that's any use
JB
battleshooter

PostPosted: Thu 01 Jan 2015, 09:11    Post subject:  

infromthepound wrote:
Hi, where are you, I have several reasonably decent ones I have been given to be used form charity.
Unfortunatly no one wants them anymore, so I have 7 or 8 in the shed.
If you want one free, I can get it as far as Melbourne if that's any use

Shocked

That's very kind of you infromthepound, but unfortunately I am in Queensland. Sad

elroy wrote:
No clue for this one yet Sad

Hmm, it's quite puzzling. I even downloaded GCC-4.9.2 again and compared md5sums and they matched. More compiling on the borrowed Intel machine. Every time it throws up the mentioned "truncated to zero" error in the original Carolina, despite upgrading libtools, binutils, bison, flex, just really trying to think what's the little thing ticking it off. I usually go by the amount of search hits I get to determine if it's something silly on my end... looks like no one has had this issue so that leaves me puzzling over what's the silly thing I'm missing. It's rather annoying as I'm keen to release another Vanguard Edition with the updated XORG, but I want to get this fixed before that. Billtoo mentioned compiling GCC in Racy and transferring to Vanguard seemed to do the trick for him, but unbelievably I still have the same issue there as well. Hmmm. I really am missing something.

EDIT: Ahhh, of course! Billtoo, would you mind sending me the GCC (and related pets) that is working in Vanguard with Intel CPUs? If I still can't figure it out I may as well use your pets since you have it going.

battleshooter

PostPosted: Thu 01 Jan 2015, 09:30    Post subject:  

As a side note, yerc1, can you test the new XORG I put up on this post?

It's my latest solution to the touchpad issue. I figured the original Xorg synaptic drivers might be too old to work with the CB30 touchpad so maybe give the update a go. All the pets in the post may as well be installed. Don't know if this fix will be "The One", but even if it isn't, at least I can scratch it off my list and start thinking up a new one.

Billtoo

PostPosted: Thu 01 Jan 2015, 09:34    Post subject: Carolina: Vanguard Edition
Subject description: compiling

I did a new manual frugal install of vlina 1.3, after setting up and
creating a savefile I added the devx and kernel source sfs files.
Tried compiling on this pc with intel processor and it failed.

I installed the 6 pets shown in the screenshot and tried compiling
again and was successful.

I'll try to post the archive so you can download it, datafilehost seems to be down at the moment.

Last edited by Billtoo on Tue 06 Jan 2015, 19:56; edited 1 time in total
battleshooter

PostPosted: Thu 01 Jan 2015, 10:06    Post subject:  

Billtoo wrote:
I installed the 6 pets shown in the screenshot and tried compiling
again and was successful.

Sigh. I'm torn between banging my head on the wall or dancing around the room stoked that your pets solved the issue. All that recompiling glibc, GCC, over and over again on a slow Intel processor for nothing! Very Happy Shocked Mad Very Happy Crying or Very sad Very mixed emotions Rolling Eyes I don't know why I didn't think to ask you ages ago.

I narrowed it down to 2 pets. mpfr and gmp. I suspected mpfr as soon as you sent it as I came across a mention of it on a search hit. I realize now I didn't include the patch as mention on BLFS and on the thread I discovered. Gmp though, not sure what's wrong with mine as there are no patches or weird directories to be linked to, but I still need yours to compile correctly on the Intel.

Thanks very much Billtoo Very Happy

Billtoo

PostPosted: Thu 01 Jan 2015, 12:44    Post subject:  

battleshooter wrote:

Thanks very much Billtoo Very Happy

You're welcome.

I installed your TMP.pet, then rebooted and compiled the
NVIDIA-Linux-x86-340.65.run proprietary driver.

video-info-glx 1.5.3 Thu 1 Jan 2015 on Vanguard-Carolina 1.3 Linux 3.18.0 i686
0.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation Device 1082 (rev a1)
oem: NVIDIA
product: GF110 Board - 12630002 Chip Rev

X Server: Xorg Driver: nvidia
X.Org version: 1.16.1
dimensions: 3840x1080 pixels (1204x343 millimeters)
depth of root window: 24 planes

direct rendering: Yes
server glx vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
server glx version string: 1.4
OpenGL vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
OpenGL renderer string: GeForce GTX 560 Ti/PCIe/SSE2
OpenGL version string: 4.4.0 NVIDIA 340.65

# glxgears
Running synchronized to the vertical refresh. The framerate should be
approximately the same as the monitor refresh rate.
303 frames in 5.0 seconds = 60.481 FPS
301 frames in 5.0 seconds = 60.001 FPS
301 frames in 5.0 seconds = 60.001 FPS
#
The driver is working but no icons on the screen and can't change the
background, the Desktop in the control panel won't load.
Screenshot-2.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   29.39 KB
 Viewed   429 Time(s)

Screenshot-2.jpg

elroy

PostPosted: Fri 02 Jan 2015, 06:58    Post subject: compiling  

After installing Billtoo's pets, I was able to compile the three test packages with no issues. Hot damn! She's a keeper Wink

And, if anyone is interested, they can upgrade the Xz package to the latest version - Xz-5.0.5-i686.
battleshooter

PostPosted: Fri 02 Jan 2015, 09:24    Post subject:  

Billtoo wrote:
I installed your TMP.pet, then rebooted and compiled the
NVIDIA-Linux-x86-340.65.run proprietary driver.

The driver is working but no icons on the screen and can't change the
background, the Desktop in the control panel won't load.

I've never tried the nVidia propriety drivers before. I'll download them from the library and have a look at them tomorrow.

On the upside, I tested the new Xorg on a Radeon laptop that previously crashed whenever using dual monitors, real pleased to find the Xorg upgrade fixed it and allows for different wallpapers on different monitors. (A small thing, but it wasn't working for me previously)

elroy wrote:
After installing Billtoo's pets, I was able to compile the three test packages with no issues. Hot damn! She's a keeper Wink

Awesome!

elroy wrote:
And, if anyone is interested, they can upgrade the Xz package to the latest version - Xz-5.0.5-i686.

I'll add that to the next build. Thanks elroy. Smile

@Anyone

I think I'll work on the new kernel tomorrow. Will be upgrading to 18.1 as apparently "Greg Kroah-Hartman urges all users of this kernel series to upgrade as soon as possible". So okay.

Let's see, to recap, I need to remember these options:

For PAE:
Code:
CONFIG_HIGHMEM64G=y
as well as 666philb's force PAE patch for Pentium Ms.

For Intel microcode:
Code:
CONFIG_MICROCODE=y
CONFIG_MICROCODE_INTEL=y
CONFIG_MICROCODE_INTEL_EARLY=y
CONFIG_MICROCODE_EARLY=y

CONFIG_X86_CPUID=y

KVM is already included... unless there's any other interesting options people have came up with over my absence, these are the options I'll go with.

Other questions (also aimed at anyone)

Are any of the Radeon users experiencing the weird text effect when typing on the Puppy forum in Firefox? I still am.

Do you think upgrading ALSA's a good idea? Will it add more support for sound cards, or is that solely handled by kernel modules?

Marv

PostPosted: Fri 02 Jan 2015, 12:12    Post subject:  

@battleshooter,
Still trying to understand why vlina (with the new Xorg..works perfectly on the intel HD 4000 video mobos and runs fine on the Pentium Ms) gives 'pipe underrun' error messages on intel i915 DRM setup on the Pentium M laptops and LxPupTahr (TahrPup 6.0 based) doesn't. They are using the same intel microcode so far as I can tell. I diffed the two DOTconfig files. Attached is a cull possibly pertaining to CPU setup..

Edit: Another very small thing. With the new kernels, suspend happens so fast that the notification "Suspending to Ram", line 16 in /etc/acpi/sleep.sh is pretty much superfluous. As a matter of fact, suspending on lid closure, it shows up after the machine wakes up. I just commented it out.
CPUstuff_TahrvsVlina.gz
Description 
gz

Download 
Filename  CPUstuff_TahrvsVlina.gz 
Filesize  621 Bytes 
Downloaded  247 Time(s) 

Pups currently in kennel Very Happy Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.
Page 8 of 41 [615 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, ..., 39, 40, 41 Next
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Jump to: