Resurrection..!

Puppy related raves and general interest that doesn't fit anywhere else
rcrsn51

#241 Post by rcrsn51 »

rokytnji wrote: I'll boot my live cd and post a screen shot and upload it later.
Is this it coming from the Dougal connection tool? The r8712u module absolutely, positively supports WPA.
Attachments
capture26604.png
(15.82 KiB) Downloaded 206 times

rokytnji

#242 Post by rokytnji »

Is this it coming from the Dougal connection tool?
Yes. That is the gtk warning I mentioned. I paid attention to it because Barrys Simple Network Manager never asked for my password to connect so
putting 1 + 1 together I figured I got 2.

I will give it a spin later in the week again since you say to go ahead and say use it. I will use my Slack0 5.9.3 cd.

rcrsn51

#243 Post by rcrsn51 »

rokytnji wrote:Yes. That is the gtk warning I mentioned. I paid attention to it because Barrys Simple Network Manager never asked for my password to connect so putting 1 + 1 together I figured I got 2.
Maybe you should use a connection manager that is still being maintained.

mikeb

#244 Post by mikeb »

Curious really but how does someone determine what is maintained in puppy?

mike

James C

#245 Post by James C »

mikeb wrote:Curious really but how does someone determine what is maintained in puppy?

mike
The developer not being retired from Puppy development might be a good start........ :lol:

mikeb

#246 Post by mikeb »

And how is a user meant to know where to look for what is maintained...perhaps that would be a better way to word the question.

If software is included it may be assumed that it IS maintained. I had to ask that question about grub1 a few years back.

Just looking from the point of view of someone who does not lurk around certain blogs and forums for that matter...

mike

James C

#247 Post by James C »

I would assume that the lead dev of a particular Puppy version would be responsible that any included applications were being maintained.Besides that, I have no good answer.

mikeb

#248 Post by mikeb »

Ok no problem but a fair point I believe.

I also appreciate that a release is made up of software from many many sources and keeping track of all of them is no easy task especially in something like puppy which is a hot potch of individuals that contribute in random ways.

On one of the topics I had to add my realtek to the wpa list too...something to do with being a driver that showed itself as 'usb'....was a while ago now.

mike

Mike Walsh

#249 Post by Mike Walsh »

mikeb wrote:I lost track...is this a usb install... could be the delay writing to the flash at shutdown... or something else...who knows with puppy :D
Well; it WAS..! Hence to my next bit of news. You remember all the original hassle with the 1100 was due to the fact that the Intel 82845 'Brookdale' video chip wouldn't display a proper full-sized screen.....with ANY Linux distro that I tried? The devs have obviously done something with TahrPup; I'm guessing it's the 3.14 kernel. None of the 14.04-based 'buntus would display properly on here, neither.....they're all using the 3.13 kernel.

I know Linux has been working well with just about all Intel video chips for years.....supposedly, including THIS one. I'm betting the newer kernel perhaps now supports some slightly odd combination of hardware in this old girl; I wouldn't put anything past Dell, when it comes to using 'wacky' stuff in their machines.....at all! They've been well known for it, in years gone by.....but they STILL build good gear, for all that.

The way I'd got things set up on here was 'TahrPup' on a USB stick, and the hard drive was just getting used for data storage. I got to thinking (I know, I'm giving the old brain cell a real workout in recent weeks..!); if TahrPup is doing all that I want it to from a USB stick, then in THEORY it should install to the hard drive.....and give me the XP replacement I've been looking for, for several months now. LOT more versatile, though.

So; in for a penny, in for a pound. I booted TahrPup from the Live CD (good job Puppies are as small as they are; I only have a CD-R/RW drive on here.....another reason why I couldn't use the 'buntus, apart from Lubuntu; unless I booted from USB.....and they still wouldn't work with the video chip, in ANY case).....and did a frugal install to the HDD. And it's ALL working.....beautifully! Even the speakers; which for some strange reason,refused to work from the USB install; odd, that. Puppy's just gone up several MORE notches on my respect-o-meter..!

I wonder what the next step will be? Coupla things I WOULD like to know; will Puppy support an external DVD combo-drive via USB? And how well does it work with webcams?

Mike.
Last edited by Mike Walsh on Wed 10 Dec 2014, 15:05, edited 1 time in total.

mikeb

#250 Post by mikeb »

have 82845 video on this machine...it needed modelines in the xorg.conf to get it to behave... tested with puppy 2 and 4..... fortunately I have Nvidia cards in there so enjoy goodly video and games :)

usb dvd drive...should be fine...appear as sr0 or similar and I use one myself.

webcam...should have support .plug in and see...but post with details if a problem. Skype used to take a bit of fiddling.

mike

Mike Walsh

#251 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hey, Mike.

Will do. DVD drive sounds fine.....wouldn't really have expected any problems there.

With the webcam, it's not so much a case of whether it's supported, as to how well it'll work, given that this here Pentium, like the old Celeron, doesn't have SSE3s.....no idea how well they work with older CPUs. I guess the only way to see is to try... :lol:

Mike.

mikeb

#252 Post by mikeb »

suck it and see...only one I have ever had was in a netbook...no sse3 and crappy via C7 cpu and was ok....suppose it depends what res and fps you want.

And you don't have Windows (in)direct media to bog you down either...their stuff is sooooooo inefficient especially the sound.

I feel not the urge to inflict my image on the world :D

mike

Mike Walsh

#253 Post by Mike Walsh »

@rcrsn51:-

Success! I've changed the Pupshare path to /root/HomeShare, as you suggested. I also find that I only need to disable the firewall on the laptop (the client) for the connection to be made. I have the server's firewall set up with 135/tcp, 137/udp, 138/udp, 139/tcp & 445/tcp; also 631, for the network printing, and 8000 (in case I want to use the SimpleHTTPServer).....and it's all working nicely.

The share login goes as follows;

Username: root
Password: woofwoof
Share: pupshare
SERVER: PUPSERVE
Options: sec=ntlm

and again, the connection now goes straight through.

Thanks for your patience, and advice. One thing, if I may; how can I set the client firewall up, so that I don't have to turn it off every time? Or does it not hurt, turning it off each time? I'm not exactly like most Windows refugees, thinking you MUST have firewalls, antivirus, etc., etc.....but the internet is NOT a nice place these days, and I would feel a wee bit happier not having to keep turning it off!

Regards,

Mike.

rcrsn51

#254 Post by rcrsn51 »

Excellent. There are instructions here for setting up the firewall on a client machine to allow access to a print server. The same procedure would apply to your Samba server.

mikeb

#255 Post by mikeb »

If you have a router then I feel using a firewall is a little pointless...I never use one on windows since I have a router to do the job...simple life....its mainly to protect against the samba vunerability anyway as it happens...that and RPC.

Mike

rokytnji

#256 Post by rokytnji »

rokytnji wrote:
Is this it coming from the Dougal connection tool?
Yes. That is the gtk warning I mentioned. I paid attention to it because Barrys Simple Network Manager never asked for my password to connect so
putting 1 + 1 together I figured I got 2.

I will give it a spin later in the week again since you say to go ahead and say use it. I will use my Slack0 5.9.3 cd.
Booted up Tahr since my Slack0 is being borrowed today.

Code: Select all

# inxi -zv7
System:    Host: puppypc14742 Kernel: 3.14.20 i686 (32 bit gcc: 4.6.4)
           Desktop: JWM git-976 dm: N/A Distro: tahrpup 6.0
Machine:   System: HP Pavilion 061 product: DM170A-ABA a350n v: 0nB1211RE101YALE 10
           Mobo: ASUSTeK model: Yale v: 1.xx
           Bios: American Megatrends v: 3.25 date: 04/27/2004
CPU:       Single core Intel Pentium 4 (-HT-) cache: 512 KB
           flags: (pae sse sse2) bmips: 5602
           clock speeds: min/max: 350/2800 MHz 1: 2800 MHz 2: 2800 MHz
Memory:    Array-1 capacity: 4 GB devices: 4 EC: None
           max module size: 1 GB (est)
           Device-1: DIMM0 size: 1 GB (Double-bank) speed: N/A
           type: SDRAM (Synchronous) bus width: 64 bits
           manufacturer: N/A part: N/A serial: N/A
           Device-2: DIMM1 size: 1 GB (Double-bank) speed: N/A
           Device-3: DIMM2 size: 1 GB (Double-bank) speed: N/A
           Device-4: DIMM3 size: 1 GB (Double-bank) speed: N/A
Graphics:  Card: NVIDIA NV18 [GeForce4 MX 440 AGP 8x]
           bus-ID: 01:00.0 chip-ID: 10de:0181
           Display Server: X.org 1.15.1 drivers: nouveau (unloaded: vesa)
           tty size: 80x25 Advanced Data: N/A for root
Audio:     Card Intel 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) AC'97 Audio Controller
           driver: snd_intel8x0 ports: d800 dc00 bus-ID: 00:1f.5 chip-ID: 8086:24d5
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k3.14.20
Network:   Card-1: Realtek RTL-8100/8101L/8139 PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter
           driver: 8139too v: 0.9.28 port: b400
           bus-ID: 02:0f.0 chip-ID: 10ec:8139
           IF: eth0 state: down mac: <filter>
           Card-2: Realtek RTL8191SU 802.11n WLAN Adapter
           driver: r8712u usb-ID: 001-002 chip-ID: 0bda:8172
           IF: wlan0 state: N/A mac: N/A
           WAN IP: <filter> IF: eth0 ip: N/A ip-v6: N/A
           IF: wlan0 ip: <filter> ip-v6: N/A
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 160.0GB (1.3% used)
           ID-1: /dev/sda model: ST3160021A size: 160.0GB serial: N/A
           Optical-1: /dev/sr0 model: LITE-ON DVDRW SOHW-832S
           rev: VS0G dev-links: dvd
           Features: speed: 40x multisession: yes
           audio: yes dvd: yes rw: cd-r,cd-rw,dvd-r state: running
           Optical-2: /dev/sr1 model: ASUS CD-S480/AH
           rev: 0.85 dev-links: cdrom
           Features: speed: 48x multisession: yes
           audio: yes dvd: no rw: none state: running
Partition: ID-1: swap-1 size: 2.15GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sda3
           label: N/A uuid: N/A
RAID:      System: supported: linear raid0 raid1 raid10 raid6 raid5 raid4
           No RAID devices: /proc/mdstat, md_mod kernel module present
           Unused Devices: none
Unmounted: ID-1: /dev/sda1 size: 7.54G fs: FAT (32 bit) label: N/A uuid: N/A
           ID-2: /dev/sda2 size: 42.40G fs: NTFS label: N/A uuid: N/A
           ID-3: /dev/sda5 size: 56.57G fs: FAT (32 bit) label: N/A uuid: N/A
           ID-4: /dev/sda6 size: 51.38G fs: FAT (32 bit) label: N/A uuid: N/A
Sensors:   None detected - is lm-sensors installed and configured?
Info:      Processes: 102 Uptime: 7 min Memory: 168.8/3654.8MB
           Init: SysVinit v: N/A runlevel: 5 Gcc sys: N/A
           Client: Shell (bash 4.3.291 running in urxvt) inxi: 2.2.16 
# 
Maybe you should use a connection manager that is still being maintained.
Well, I used Dougals Connection Manager since I have been using Puppy since 2008. Used add to list like the button in your screenshot and followed the prompts afterwards. As you can see. I am posting now. I am going to just make a save file and run this off of cd since this release is just a test release. I will do the dame with Slack0 5.9 also since it is not final yet. Just cd in ram runs since I have ram to spare.

Looks like the adapter is going to work like you said rcrsn51.
I guess my 1 + 1 don't add up to a hill of beans. :lol:

Mike Walsh

#257 Post by Mike Walsh »

rcrsn51 wrote:Excellent. There are instructions here for setting up the firewall on a client machine to allow access to a print server. The same procedure would apply to your Samba server.
Many thanks. That's all working nicely, now....and no need to touch the firewall any more. It's usually the case that it's something easily overlooked (or misunderstood) that gums the works up.... In this case, I think, it was just getting the folder path correct. It was certainly easier than moving a nearly 19 GB folder to the default location...!

Regards,

Mike. :wink:

rcrsn51

#258 Post by rcrsn51 »

rokytnji wrote:Looks like the adapter is going to work
Excellent. So I guess you can buy a decent adapter for $3.25. :wink:

How far from the AP are you?

rokytnji

#259 Post by rokytnji »

How far from the AP are you?
My shop to the router is about 200 feet away, through steel walls, then through stucco walls of my house.

mikeb

#260 Post by mikeb »

My shop to the router is about 200 feet away, through steel walls, then through stucco walls of my house.
fails to mention that the transmitter makes the local wildlife glow in the dark ;)

mike