Banksy2

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
mikeslr

Having fun with it

#41 Post by mikeslr »

Hi greengeek & all,

Playing with it a bit. Wanted to see if I could add Chromiun, My wife prefers it, I could by remastering Banksy2's SFS manually, copying in the converted-decompressed pets kost@s just published: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 43&t=90983,
I'm using it to post this from Banksy2. I wasn't able, however, to incorporate the bookmarks I made while running Chromium from Slacko 5.6. As far as I could figure out they were in a folder named chromium in .config. Copied them there before dir2sfs the folder containing the reworked Banksy2's files. But I think Chromium when it starts the first time over-writes it.
While I had the directory open, I added a couple of wallpapers. I've attached one you included after I gimped it with an image I found, It's attached.
Does Banksy2 have patched BASH, Openssl, and wget? I recall you mentioning one, but I don't recall which. But since you started this project problems and patches were reported for all.
I also renamed the pmount/pmounter script to aladin. Pmounter might be too obvious to someone Linux-savvy enough to hunt around. I named it aladin because I don't know how to spell seseme? sessemmee? Well, I don't.
At any rate, the more I thought about it, the better your idea seemed. So, congratulations and keep fighting the good fight,

mikesLr
Attachments
banksy-financial_2.jpg
banksy-financial- revised
(46.97 KiB) Downloaded 213 times

greengeek

#42 Post by greengeek »

Nice gimping. That made me laugh.
I wasn't able, however, to incorporate the bookmarks I made while running Chromium from Slacko 5.6. As far as I could figure out they were in a folder named chromium in .config. Copied them there before dir2sfs the folder containing the reworked Banksy2's files. But I think Chromium when it starts the first time over-writes it.
If you are correct about Chromium overwriting them when it starts then that will require a bit of inspiration to overcome. Might require a wrapper script to be substituted for Chromium - so that when chromium is started the wrapper starts Chromium and after a small delay overwrites its overwriting. Clunky. Very clunky.
I wouldn't be able to suggest anything more elegant without having a trial of Chromium to ascertain exactly why it didnt use the bookmarks you grafted in. Maybe it needs the entre profile to be saved, rather than just the bookmarks. that is the method I used with Firefox.
Maybe there is a way to export the bookmarks as html and then import them via Startup script??
Does Banksy2 have patched BASH, Openssl, and wget?
No unfortunately, nothing in Banksy 2. Banksy 3 is halfway there in terms of overcoming those security issues but I have slowed down on it's release to allow time for the evils of Linux to be fully revealed and overcome before B3 is released into the wild. I've been using it myself for some months but my usage is unlikely to reveal its bash etc weaknesses so I want to absorb as much info as I can before assuming I have things ready to release. No point advancing novelty over stability.

mikeslr

Chromium's Bookmarks

#43 Post by mikeslr »

Hi greengeek,

Chromium's bookmarks are found here:
/root/.config/chromium/profiles/bookmarks.
I had copied the entire chromium folder into .config before dir2sfs'd the edited Banksy2 sfs-folder. When chromium was started for the first time --which as there will be no SaveFile is everytime-- it overwrote the entire .config/chromium folder, deleting the profile folder and bookmarks.
So you're right, some kind of wrapper will be needed. Or maybe a three step process. Start Chromium, close it. Then a pet to remove .the chromium folder from .config; then copy a chromium folder with settings and bookmarks written to the SFS before compression into ,config.

Can Banksys2 still load zdrv's at bootup? If so, creating a zdrv with config, settings and bookmarks for Chromium or firefox, or the user's choice of web-browser might be a good solution. A user wouldn't have to guess in advance what bookmarks are wanted. Changes could be made by creating a new zdrv, overwriting the old.
And the app to generate a new zdrv could be concealed by not having a menu entry. Callable only via terminal.

What does work, but may violate the spirit of isolating Banksy, is the following:

mount the partition on which google-chrome portable is located. Browse to it and right-click to "look inside". Click register. Google-chrome registers on the menu and can be run. Changes such as new bookmarks and new addons can be made. Unmounting the partition renders google-chrome portable inoperable, but generates a message indicating both that it wasn't found and its location, thus revealing there is a drive which isn't available.

Loath as I am to reference Donald Rumsfeld, it is best that preying eyes don't know that they don't know.

It should be simple to change the message, or eliminate it altogether. Clicking the menu entry then suggest only that an application isn't working.

While shinobar has only greated 3 portable web-browsers, others could be created using his technique.

Subsequent thought: portable modified not to create menu entry. Script to mount partition then start portable. Script can have obscure name.

Of course, none of the foregoing would work with Banksy run from CD/DVD except perhaps multisession.

mikesLr

greengeek

Re: Chromium's Bookmarks

#44 Post by greengeek »

mikeslr wrote:Can Banksys2 still load zdrv's at bootup?
The main sfs is already loaded as the zdrv so I don't think another one can be loaded in addition. (swapping the main sfs down to the zdrv position is the method I've used to allow the personalised sfs to become the top layer which controls overall system behaviour).

I've seen talk of ydrv's and other layers in use in other pups so maybe that method could be used for Chromium etc. I will investigate such additions once I have released B3 and am happy with it's performance.

In the meantime what I have been doing with B3 is to load extra programmes on-the-fly as sfs'es so maybe that method would work with chromium?

EDIT : Seems like odd behaviour for Chromium to ignore and overwrite a previous profile. I wonder if there is some 'validity stamp' that exists within the profile that renders it unusable. I did find something similar with Firefox - if i copied the profile while the browser was active it would contain corruptions that would contaminate the next startup. I found it necessary to collect the profile after the browser was shut down - and that way the profile seemed to be left in an appropriate state. No idea what would be required with Chromium unfortunately....

mikeslr

Eliminate SaveFile dialog box

#45 Post by mikeslr »

Hi greengeek,

When Banksy2 shuts down, a dialog pertaining to creating a SaveFile flashes for a second. Just wanted to remind you that either it should be eliminated or, if easier, its text should be replaced with a big "Good Bye",

mikesLr

p.s. Chromium wasn't opened when I copied the folder.

greengeek

Re: Having fun with it

#46 Post by greengeek »

mikeslr wrote:Wanted to see if I could add Chromiun, My wife prefers it, I could by remastering Banksy2's SFS manually, copying in the converted-decompressed pets kost@s just published: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 43&t=90983,
I'm using it to post this from Banksy2.
I just tried using a chromium sfs with banksy3 and it wouldnt run - it was looking for libconf-2.so4 so i will have to try your other source and see if I can make it into an sfs. Would be nice to identify an sfs that works without grafting it in via remaster (I'd like to offer a host of different browsers via sfs if I could).
EDIT : Just found oscartalks thread addressing this problem here.

Puppus Dogfellow

#47 Post by Puppus Dogfellow »

banksy2 mirrored.

looks cool, greengreek. this also based on on slacko 5.6?

greengeek

#48 Post by greengeek »

Puppus Dogfellow wrote: this also based on on slacko 5.6?
Yes it is, I find Slacko 5.6 very stable on my hardware.
ps: thanks for mirroring. I hope to have Banksy 3 ready very soon.

greengeek

#49 Post by greengeek »

Banksy 3 (a.k.a "The Personator) released here

- Adds greater options for personalisation (see new thread)
- Adds a desktop toggle for single/doubleclick (no longer two separate isos)

Hey chris - it includes your ixquick and 'give-me-back-my-google' bookmarks
(lets you add any other bookmarks and wallpapers too...)
:-)