Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sun 15 Sep 2019, 18:32
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Misc
Resurrection..!
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 15 of 19 [276 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 Next
wboz

PostPosted: Sun 07 Dec 2014, 21:26    Post subject:  

Thanks! It's good advice. In this case there are two kinds of pads in play. The GPU one is thicker (1mm?) and made of foam. I don't think it would be smart to try and replace with grease. The CPU's was more like a foil sheet that, I suspect, melts onto the processor when it is first turned on to provide the link. I removed that - initially I was nearly fooled into thinking that was part of the heat sink and applying paste to the bottom, which probably would have been OK, but I did scrape it off. A good thing because I discovered the huge scratches on the bottom as a result, which I was able to improve (not eliminate). So I do think it's probably on the CPU OK. But I'm going to keep an eye on it .... Smile

I am now a so-called x-pert at servicing the Dell 6000, hehe ... wonder if I'll get questions in the future!

Hm, let's see, how are the other marginally-related-thread-topics going? I like this thread Razz
mikeb

PostPosted: Mon 08 Dec 2014, 04:40    Post subject:  

forum plop....
Last edited by mikeb on Mon 08 Dec 2014, 05:04; edited 1 time in total
mikeb

PostPosted: Mon 08 Dec 2014, 05:04    Post subject:  

I have been unrelated for years....

that brief temperature climb...I guess its before the fan cuts in....50 odd degrees is not that hot..... whats the melting point of silicon? Very Happy 70+ is when instability mught start creeping in. Me pentium 3's are 25watts but run soo cool with tiny heatsinks ...shame cos I could do with the heat in here....

thermal pads are supposed to be more efficient...they feel strange and cold and clammy.....could make perv outfits if you had enough of it..

mike
Burn_IT

PostPosted: Mon 08 Dec 2014, 08:04    Post subject:  

Your first thoughts were correct in that you want as little paste as possible.
Ideally you would like none, but it is there just to fill in the tiny gaps in the imperfect surfaces.

The temperature rise is natural and is called the tidal effect and can be seen everywhere. The coldest days are not in December but in January/February and the warmest are July/August. It takes time for the system to catch up with any changes.

mikeb

PostPosted: Mon 08 Dec 2014, 08:45    Post subject:  

Quote:
Rather than commenting out rc.update entirely I tried a less extreme measure of backgrounding 4 things in rc.update (around lines 85 to 105 in my version) :

you realise this is the trick Microsoft pull to make windows appear to boot faster...guess we have gone full circle Very Happy

mike
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Mon 08 Dec 2014, 14:58    Post subject:  

rcrsn51 wrote:
Mike Walsh wrote:
I can use the 1100 to read files nicely using YASSM (via Samba) from my Ubuntu & Lubuntu installs on the Compaq, yes?

Is that a statement of confirmation or a question?

Quote:
I'm trying to get it to work with my other install of TahrPup on the Compaq. I've installed rcrsn51's .pet of Samba TNG on the Compaq

On what Puppy are you running the YASSM client? If it has a recent 3.x kernel, you need to use the YASSM login option "sec=ntlm".

Also, see the note in the YASSM Help about firewalls.

Hallo, rcrsn.

Statement of fact.....sorry if it came across a bit ambiguous!

The big Compaq desktop and the old Dell 1100 are both running 'TahrPup 6.0'. As far as I'm aware, it uses the 3.14 kernel; can you expand on the "sec=ntlm" login option?

I may have been faffing around with these things for 30-odd years, but as far as Linux is concerned, I'm a 'babe-in-arms'.....only been using it since May, and a lot of the stuff that involves altering scripts, etc., has me completely mystified, I'm afraid.

Regards,

Mike.

Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Mon 08 Dec 2014, 14:59    Post subject:  

rcrsn51 wrote:
Mike Walsh wrote:
I can use the 1100 to read files nicely using YASSM (via Samba) from my Ubuntu & Lubuntu installs on the Compaq, yes?

Is that a statement of confirmation or a question?

Quote:
I'm trying to get it to work with my other install of TahrPup on the Compaq. I've installed rcrsn51's .pet of Samba TNG on the Compaq

On what Puppy are you running the YASSM client? If it has a recent 3.x kernel, you need to use the YASSM login option "sec=ntlm".

Also, see the note in the YASSM Help about firewalls.

Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Mon 08 Dec 2014, 15:04    Post subject:  

Great! Now the posting side of things is playing up...

I enter a message.....and I'm told there's a problem sending mail; yet my posts are getting through. *sigh* Oh, JOY..!

Sorry for the doubling up.

Mike.
rcrsn51

PostPosted: Mon 08 Dec 2014, 15:19    Post subject:  

Mike Walsh wrote:
can you expand on the "sec=ntlm" login option?

When you run YASSM, you get a login screen with the boxes Username, Password, Share, Server and Options.

In the Options box, enter: sec=ntlm
rokytnji

PostPosted: Mon 08 Dec 2014, 15:40    Post subject:  

Getting aggravated.
My new

Code:
RTL 8191S odba:8172

wireless adapter won't dance with Slack0 9 Beta, Puppy Tahr, Slack0 5.7, yadda yadda Puppy no wanna dance. The above readout is what I wrote down on a piece of paper
after using inxi in Puppy to get the hardware chi[p readout.

The driver supplied that does load and give a wlan0 . Does not support wpa2 so is useless like tits on a Bull or a ashtray on a motorcycle. I seem to remember it was 8172U.bin firmware or something close.
I was spent and tired yesterday fighting this chip with the latest kernels and Puppy.

So no Puppy going on that computer. I posted about it @ http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=811005#811005
Links are dead for pets and most are not compatible anyways.

I'd hate to go the nidiswrapper route or compile from the mini cd the driver. I do not have the devx , the time, or energy today. Computer in question is a P4 with 4 gig of ram. So I am just deleting 8
gig frugal install ext3 partition and am picking up my toys and going home in a huff.

There is no hard line in the motorcycle shop. All computers there are wireless.
So I cannot post a ton of readouts and specs on it. Sorry.

I am not a clueless Puppy user. But I know when I am beating a dead horse.
I've read from rcrsn51 to try Slack0 5.6 but if Slack0 5.9 driver says no wpa2 support.
I figure the same goes for 5.6. I burned enough cds yesterday.
Taking the day off from that box today.

Arrrrrrrrgh!

Resurrection can be a PITA sometimes. Even on motorcycles when things do not go right.

Just read your post rcrsn51. Howdy.

Last edited by rokytnji on Mon 08 Dec 2014, 15:53; edited 2 times in total
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Mon 08 Dec 2014, 15:40    Post subject:  

Well, now...

I've done it! The old Dell is now sporting a swish, new 2.6 GHz Pentium 4. I can't have made half the mistakes I thought I would, because after putting everything back together it started up SECOND time. First time I got a coupla 'beeps', and had to re-seat the RAM, but apart from that, no probs.

£16 off eBay; and in really nice condition, too. Whoever was selling it had obviously gone out of their way to remove all the old paste & crud....so it was all sparkly and clean. Packaged well, too; they'd kept the original box, so it must have been an aftermarket upgrade.....you don't get them when you buy OEM, do you?

I had one nasty moment when I removed the heat-pipe & fan/cooling assembly. 10 years worth of running hot had baked the paste till it was rock hard, & set fast like SuperGlue; upon releasing the screws, and attempting to pull it off with the plastic band/handle affair that Dell provide to pull it straight up with (and breaking it!), I took a slightly firmer grip round the fan housing, pulled firmly and steadily.....and the blasted CPU pulled straight out of the locked socket; OOOPS!! Thought I'd buggered it up totally; but upon inspection, I realised that all the socket does when you turn the 'cam-screw', is slide from one side to the other.....obviously just nips the pins slightly in the shut position.

I wasn't too worried about the Celeron, 'cos it wasn't going back in; looking at the pins with a magnifying glass and a bright light,, I couldn't see any damage, so it wasn't gripping them THAT tight, after all. Having 'detached' the Celery from the heatsink, and wiped everything clean till it was sparkling, in went the Pentium, on went the gunk (spread nice and thin with the little spatula provided), down went the heatsink & was screwed back on, and everything was reassembled again; tedious business.....all those microscopic little screws, and those tiny little connectors (yes, I'm looking at YOU, speakers & touchpad...)! Not easy for somebody with big ol' fingers like me... Laughing *Sheesh..!*

CPU's are damn heavy for their size, aren't they? Still, I suppose 55 million transistors ARE gonna weigh SOMETHING..! Laughing

While I had everything out, motherboard included, I had a look at the CMOS battery. Whoever said it was stuck under the palmrest with a sticky foam pad didn't know WHAT they were talking about; every CMOS battery I've ever seen has been mounted on the mobo; where else WOULD it be? The mobo was the last thing to come out of the case.....and there it was, underneath. I was expecting a lithium coin cell holder, like on the ATX & ATX minis and micros......but no. It's LIKE a small coin cell, but with contacts soldered to it on both sides, and soldered to the mobo! But it's rechargeable, which most coin cells are not.

Anyway, I dug out the test gear, and checked things.....and even after 10 yrs it STILL appears to be holding a decent charge (touch wood!); so for the time being, I'm leaving it well alone. It'll need replacing eventually,'cos even rechargeables don't last for ever.....but it won't take me half as long to disassemble it when I do, now I've done it once, and seen where everything goes! Not TOO sure about soldering things onto a mother board, mind you; but there's gotta be a way round it...

As far as the Pentium goes, well; it's certainly snappier than the Celery (its L2 is four times bigger) but of course, it's still not got SSE3s; Intel didn't start using them until the Prescott core.....and I can't use one of those; LGA775 socket (this is only Socket 478), and the FSB is way faster, too... (800 against my 400...hmmm; don't think that'll work, somehow...) And with the TDP being about the same (give or take about a watt), and the heatsink and everything thoroughly cleaned and re-gunked, it actually seems to run a bit cooler than the Celery. Can't say as I'm really surprised, 'cos it's not working as hard.

When all's said and done, I'm quite chuffed; it all went a lot more smoothly than anticipated, so I'm WELL pleased with the outcome.

How're ya getting on with yours, wboz?

Regards,

Mike.

Last edited by Mike Walsh on Mon 08 Dec 2014, 20:40; edited 9 times in total
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Mon 08 Dec 2014, 15:44    Post subject:  

rcrsn51 wrote:
Mike Walsh wrote:
can you expand on the "sec=ntlm" login option?

When you run YASSM, you get a login screen with the boxes Username, Password, Share, Server and Options.

In the Options box, enter: sec=ntlm

Hallo again, rcrsn.

Thank you for that; when I get a chance, I'll give it a try.....be later on this evening.

Will let you know how I get on. Appreciated.

Regards,

Mike.

BTW; What does 'sec=ntlm' actually tell Puppy to do?

rcrsn51

PostPosted: Mon 08 Dec 2014, 16:12    Post subject:  

@rokytnji: I own a Trendnet TEW-649UB USB WiFi adapter that also identifies itself as [0bda:8172]. It loads the r8712u driver in all recent Puppies and works fine with WPA2.

Maybe when you buy a no-name adapter for $3.25, you get what you pay for.

Last edited by rcrsn51 on Mon 08 Dec 2014, 19:57; edited 1 time in total
mikeb

PostPosted: Mon 08 Dec 2014, 16:32    Post subject:  

Quote:
or compile from the mini cd the driver.

I got a no name stick and that WAS the way to get a happy driver .... at least on happy kernels...in fact I am using it now as it happens. realtek do seem to support their hardware drivers on linux better than the FOSS ones do.

mike
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Mon 08 Dec 2014, 17:40    Post subject:  

Hmm. Curiouser & curiouser; since the CPU swap, TahrPup RUNS fine; but now it doesn't want to shut down! It gets to the 'Tahrpup 6.0 is now shutting down'....& just sits there for ever! I just set it to shut off a good 10 mins ago, while I went out for a smoke...and it was STILL 'shutting down' when I got back in a moment ago. I have to do a hard power-down, and of course I lose all the stuff I've done during the session.

Anybody heard of this one before? Confused

Mike.
Page 15 of 19 [276 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 Next
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Misc
Jump to: