RtfEdit

Word processors, spreadsheets, presentations, translation, etc.
webmayo

#21 Post by webmayo »

Well, I did ask. Thanks for the info. I have uploaded 1.4.4 with a fix for the tinytext. I can't do anything about jarte at this time.
6502coder wrote:
When it appeared, the font setting in RtfEdit had changed to serif 10. The line of text was displayed in a tiny SERIF font, such that the whole line was just under 2 inches long.
Abiword on my system could not display it at all. It was just a black bar.

In rtfed you were actually looking at serif 10, but as superscript. This happens because textmaker uses the "\up0" tag instead of "\nosupersub".
I have added a fix to overcome this problem.
I then opened "test3.rtf" in TextMaker, where it looked very similar, but slightly longer at about 2.5 inches long, in a tiny sans-serif font. TextMaker's font tool claimed that that the text was in DejaVu Sans 10, but the text was clearly smaller than it appeared in "test2.rtf", which was created in TextMaker with the font set to DejaVu Sans 10.
Because it was saved as superscript.
I then opened "test3.rtf" in Abiword. The results were much the same as with TextMaker -- a line of text a bit over 2.5 inches long, which Abiword's font tool said was in DejaVu Sans 10, but which is clearly in type smaller than what you get when you create a new Abiword document in DejaVu Sans 10.
Still in superscript.
Finally, I repeated the whole test, the only difference being that this time I used Abiword to create the original "test2.rtf" file. Same results.
No problems between abiword and rtfed on my system.
The borders on the tables are simple thin lines around each cell. When I opened one of these documents in RtfEdit, I found that the border lines were missing, or least not visible.
The rtf file you supplied in the download was not a standard rtf. On my system, Abiword did not display the tables correctly.
rtfed did try display the tables but there was no style settings, so the table had an invisible grid with zero width.

There a couple of other things I am aware of, but they have always been there. Images do not always transport well, and hyperlinks are disabled.

6502coder

#22 Post by 6502coder »

@webmayo

Thanks for the response to my test report. It never occurred to me to suspect superscripting, but that makes perfect sense.

"It was just a black bar." Oh yeah, I did get that too in Abiword. I had to fiddle with the text highlighting setting to get the text to show up. I should have mentioned that in my report but I forgot.

Odd about the tables not showing up in your Abiword. They definitely do look okay in Abiword on my system. Oh well, just one of those mysteries I suppose.

It's interesting that you say that the RTF file with the table was not a standard RTF. This file was created in Jarte, and since Jarte is built on the MS Wordpad engine I have always assumed that Jarte files would have a very high degree of compliance with the RTF standard. But your explanation for the missing borders makes sense and I have no doubt you are right.

I look forward to doing more testing with 1.4.4.

6502coder

#23 Post by 6502coder »

Did some further testing with the new 1.4.4
Test report and files are in the ZIP
Attachments
RtfEditTest2.zip
(73.24 KiB) Downloaded 312 times

webmayo

#24 Post by webmayo »

6502coder wrote:@webmayo
It's interesting that you say that the RTF file with the table was not a standard RTF. This file was created in Jarte, and since Jarte is built on the MS Wordpad engine I have always assumed that Jarte files would have a very high degree of compliance with the RTF standard.
I would imagine Jarte does produce standard rtf. I really don't know I have never used it. I was referring to the actual file you uploaded.
When I tried to open it in an editor to view the source, both gedit and pluma refused to open it because it contained binary data, which is not standard.
After taking a closer look with a binary editor, I found it was just a null at the end of the file. I removed it and was then able to open it in gedit.
I quickly found the cause of the missing table borders. I can fix this. I will upload the new version in a few days.

webmayo

#25 Post by webmayo »

6502coder wrote:Did some further testing with the new 1.4.4
Test report and files are in the ZIP
Yes, I can confirm the errors in the report. Somewhere along the way I must have introduced the bug. Strange thing is, this is the version I have used myself, and the only difference is I compiled it with later libraries.

While I was testing for the bug you reported I found other problems with tables. I will attempt to fix them before I upload the new version.

I think that anyone using rtfedit should realise it is an incomplete project. I have used it for a few years, and it does the job I intended it for. As I said in a previous post, One day I may finish it.

Les Hardy

6502coder

#26 Post by 6502coder »

Thanks Les,

I appreciate your efforts, and I'm sure I'm not alone. There are lots of folks around here looking for a simple, reliable alternative to using Abiword for RTF docs.