wlan module r8188eu

hhgoten

wlan module r8188eu

#1 Post by hhgoten »

Well, solved my problem with my wlan-stick by using tahrpup 6.0 .
My stick has the realtek chip on it and runs well with tahrpup on my old fujitsu-siemens A1655g laptop, where i can't activate the build-in Broadcomm chip bc43m
(only soft button under windows activates the wlan, former fsaa1655g module did it under debian and ubuntu , but is not available anymore).

The needed modul is r8188eu , and thats available in tahrpup.
My question for help is: how can I transfer this modul to another puppy version. On a second stick i used to have slacko - no chance for me to find the module. even tried for example precise 5.7.1 also not finding the modul.
I always liked to have a "second" puppy with different approach.

So again: how can I activate the module r8188eu in slacko or precise ?
Best regards
Waldi
Last edited by hhgoten on Tue 09 Dec 2014, 10:16, edited 1 time in total.

ardvark

Re: wlan module r8188ee

#2 Post by ardvark »

hhgoten wrote:My stick has the realtek chip on it and runs well with tahrpup on my old fujitsu-siemens A1655g laptop, where i can't activate the build-in Broadcomm chip bc43m
(only soft button under windows activates the wlan, former fsaa1655g module did it under debian and ubuntu , but is not available anymore).
Hi...

So, this soft button won't work in Puppy? I didn't think these keys were OS specific. :|

Does rfkill help with this problem?

Regards...
Our Lord and Savior [url=http://peacewithgod.jesus.net/]Jesus Christ[/url] loves and cares about you most of all!

PLEASE READ! You don't have to end up [url=http://www.spiritlessons.com/Documents/BillWiese_23MinutesInHell_Text.htm]here![/url]

hhgoten

#3 Post by hhgoten »

No, the soft buttons depend on the os.

If you are interested in, read about module fsaa1655g.
http://www.marvec.org/amilo/
It's working with a 2.6.x Kernel , but not anymore from 3.x Kernel.

But that was only an addon info here.

My main goal is to get the modul r8188eu to slacko/precise.

rcrsn51

#4 Post by rcrsn51 »

Here is a PET for the 8188eu WiFi driver. It is specifically for Slacko 5.6-4G. Click the small grey Download button on the left.

http://www.datafilehost.com/d/44204f3f

After installing the PET, unplug/replug the adapter.

hhgoten

#5 Post by hhgoten »

Thank you RCRSN51 !
First I tried only slacko 5.7.1 and 5.6.0 , no success, then I took the mentioned 5.6.4G ( What does the 4G stand for ? Over 3GB RAM ? no googling found) and "success" !
So lets use a saying: You gave me a fish - thats wonderfull.
Can you show me how to fish myself?

I mean , how did you build that PET-file ?
Is there a link, tutorial or something for this specific topic ?
Don't like to stress your help to much.

Thanks again Waldi
Berlin, Germany

rcrsn51

#6 Post by rcrsn51 »

There is a tutorial here on basic PET building. But drivers like the 8188eu are a bit more complicated because you also need to load the kernel sources package.

You mentioned your problem with the fsaa1655g module. We have looked at this before, so I have built it for your Slacko 56-4G. It appears to work this way:

Code: Select all

Load the module: modprobe fsaa1655g
View the state (0=OFF 1=ON): cat /proc/fsaa1655g/radio  
Turn on: echo 1 > /proc/fsaa1655g/radio
Attachments
fsaa1655g_slacko56_4G-k3.4.52.pet
(2.14 KiB) Downloaded 505 times

hhgoten

#7 Post by hhgoten »

Thanks again, for your fast reply.
My problem is solved.

I will use the realtek-dongle with r8188eu rather than the Broadcom chip , because now I can take my puppy AND the usb wifi-stick with me .
No matter , what build-in chip may be there on a friends computer.

Bye

rcrsn51

#8 Post by rcrsn51 »

Did you test the fsaa1655 module? This would be useful information for other community members. If it doesn't work, I will delete it.

hhgoten

#9 Post by hhgoten »

o.k.
I will do the test.
But can't do this today . Within next 2 days, promised.

hhgoten

#10 Post by hhgoten »

Dear John,
as promised, here are the test results.
First, the fsaa1655g-pet is working fine.
dmesg:
[ 94.258258] fsaa1655g: Radio turned ON
[ 95.376730] b43-phy0: Radio hardware status changed to ENABLED
[ 121.433411] b43-phy0: Loading firmware version 666.2 (2011-02-23 01:15:07)
[ 138.553396] b43-phy0: Loading firmware version 666.2 (2011-02-23 01:15:07)
[ 144.563379] b43-phy0: Loading firmware version 666.2 (2011-02-23 01:15:07)
[ 177.123374] b43-phy0: Loading firmware version 666.2 (2011-02-23 01:15:07)
[ 178.733947] wlan0: authenticate with bc:f6:85:57:2d:21
[ 178.753494] wlan0: send auth to bc:f6:85:57:2d:21 (try 1/3)
[ 178.755287] wlan0: authenticated
[ 178.756738] wlan0: associate with bc:f6:85:57:2d:21 (try 1/3)
[ 178.761812] wlan0: RX AssocResp from bc:f6:85:57:2d:21 (capab=0x531 status=0 aid=4)
[ 178.762263] wlan0: associated
Just installing the pet-file and modprobe fsaa1655g was good enough.
the led switched on and everything is fine. I use wpa2 on a TP-Link router.
(Puppy in what version I ever use always looses my passkey after reboot, maybe its even more save this way, but astonishing)

I'm a bit irritated though, because I thought I had blacklisted b43 and had to change this first. But obviously nothing was blacklisted. But thats another topic.
Thank you again for your efforts . Good to know that someone is caring.
Waldi
Berlin
Germany

rcrsn51

#11 Post by rcrsn51 »

Excellent. I found this new version at Sourceforge. It is made by the original author of fsaa1655g but updated for 3.x kernels.
I'm a bit irritated though, because I thought I had blacklisted b43 and had to change this first. But obviously nothing was blacklisted. But thats another topic.
The problems with Broadcom drivers are on-going. You are probably better off using your USB 8188eu adapter.

Thanks for testing this.

Bill

sindi

r8188eu Tahrpup 6.0.3 'unable to connect'

#12 Post by sindi »

Cheap USB dongle from China (USB plug twice as long as the black end), one without antenna that picks up only our signal and two with antennas that detect several signals.
The device is unlabeled, a very small black box. The antenna version says WIFI n.

I run the wizard, scan, find the networks, choose ours (unencrypted) and am 'Unable to connect'.

Tried this on several computers. The dongle is detected and works in Windows 8.1, says my neighbo (he can't recall the driver name), but not in Windows 7 (it could not find the driver on the net).

I tried loading various other realtek modules from linux, then started to download XP drivers and tried a bunch of those with ndiswrapper (net8192cu.inf) and none of them detected the device.

Is this like the bc43, does not usually work and has to be blacklisted and try something else and if so what else?

My neighbor is 10 and is VERY disappointed that his dongle does not work, after waiting a month for it to arrive.
He set up all his friends with puppy linux and they all want wifi. I ran out of PCMCIA cards with WPA support.
Today he got Tinycore installed and will try with that.

I read that the module is only available in kernel 3.12 (Tahr has 3.14).

rcrsn51

#13 Post by rcrsn51 »

Type the command: lsusb

Identify the vendor:product ID codes for your adapter.

Type the command: lsmod

What WiFi modules are being loaded? r8188eu or rtl8192cu?

sindi

r8188eu loads but will not connect

#14 Post by sindi »

Tahr finds it as r8188eu and loads the module but is 'Unable to connect'
I downloaded from Realtek what they said was rtl8192cu drivers for XP and other Windows,
35MB of them, and unzipped and went to the driver directory for XP 32bit.
I pointed ndiswrapper setup at this directory and it found inf and sys files (under 1MB)
for rtl8192su, then it said it installed for su and ce NOT cu. Maybe it is the same
driver for all three (USB, PCI, PCI-E, PCMCIA...) No networks detected.

The Tahr r8188eu driver detects my router but won't connect.
No other driver that I tried works at all.

I have THREE of these cards. My neighbor claims one worked with Win81. I should confirm that it was able to connect
not just get recognized and the driver installed.

The Realtek site will not download with Opera, had to use Firefox 17.

rcrsn51

#15 Post by rcrsn51 »

You never answered my first question.

The r8188eu driver in Tahrpup 602 PAE k3.14.20 works well for me with two different adapters. There is no need to install anything else.

Run the dmesg command and check for errors related to the r8188eu.

Boot from the Tahrpup CD using "puppy pfix=ram" and try again.

What connection program are you using?

Mike Walsh

#16 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hi, guys.

If I may, I'm going to jump in here, Bill.....hope you don't mind. Using the r8188eu under Tahrpup as I do on the old Dell, I can understand sindi's problem; it works fine, but you do have to go through things in a rather specific order, so as to get a connection.

@sindi:

I don't know which of the connection programs you're using; I tried all of them, in turn, when I first started using a TP-Link WN725N (v.2) wifi 'N' adapter. This, too, has the Realtek chip, that needs the same driver as yours.

I eventually settled for Dougal's Network Wizard, 'cos it just 'worked' for me.....and this is how I get mine up-and-running.

1) Open Dougal's.
2) Assuming you've got the module loaded, and done the 'modprobe' thing, you should have an 'eth0' button, and a 'wlan0' button. Click on the 'wlan0' button.
3) Next, click on the 'Wireless' button, top right .
4) On the next screen, click the big 'Scan' button. Wait for it to do its thing, then choose your network.
5) Next, click 'Load'. Now, from what I understand, you say your network is unencrypted...does that mean you don't use a password? If you do, you need to enter your wireless key in the box at the bottom...and then you need to save the profile before you do anything else, so click on the 'Save' button, underneath the wireless key box.. (I'm guessing you need to 'Save' even if there are no wireless key details to enter). Then, click on 'Use this profile'.
6) You should now get a small window, as it attempts to connect. It'll then change to an even smaller window...'Testing connection', and when that's completed, it will announce, 'Unable to connect'. Right; we're nearly there. Next comes the easy bit.
7) Now, click on the 'Auto DHCP' button. This is where the chip will now be assigned an IP address, so it can become part of the network. You'll get another window come up...'Connecting to DHCP', or something like that.....and after about 15-20 seconds, this will change to another window; 'Successfully connected!' (or something similar), and it will ask if you want to save this for the next boot. So click on 'Yes'.

Back at the main window again; just click on 'Done' at the bottom...and that's it!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All things being equal, you should now be connected. You may find that your next boot will give you an automatic re-connection; mine doesn't, so I have to go through this each time I boot my old Dell.....but then, she is thirteen years old..! Takes less than a minute, anyway, so...no biggie.

Hope that helps.

Regards,

Mike. :wink:
Last edited by Mike Walsh on Wed 12 Aug 2015, 15:04, edited 1 time in total.

sindi

rl8188 loads but disassociates (disconnects?)

#17 Post by sindi »

running tahr pfix=ram (from hard drive - I edited menu.lst)
lsmod indicates r8188eu is loaded
dmesg: registered new interface driver r8188eu
MAC address: ......
R8188EU: ERROR: indicate disassoc
R8188EU: ERROR: assoc success
R8188EU: ERROR: assoc success

It seems to be having trouble staying connected. I tried two cards and my neighbor tried a third.
He said it worked in Windows 8.1 but he is a kid and may not have really tested.

Maybe I got three defective cards?

sindi

r8188eu will not connect - wlan0: waiting for carrier

#18 Post by sindi »

dmesg says
R8188EU ERROR: indicate disassoc (alternating with assoc success)

dhcpcd eth0 was given an IP address
wlan0: waiting for carrier

Manually assiged IP number and gateway with ifconfig but cannot ping even the router.

Maybe I have three cards that receive but do not transmit.
The seller sent me a link to download the driver (most likely for Windows).
I will borrow a Windows 7 laptop to test on. MicroXP does not do wireless.
Non-PAE Tahrpup with 6.0.3 update.

I also tried various pets for Lupu and Slacko which did not detect the device.

Tahr setup tells me the driver/device does not do WPA. (I am testing without encryption).

Mike Walsh

#19 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hi, sindi.

Hm. It's extremely unlikely that you've been unlucky enough to get three 'naff' wireless adapters.....but if they're generic, 'unbranded' ones, well.....I wouldn't like to say. This is mainly why I tend to stick with well-known, quality brands.....you do at least have some sort of 'come-back' with them, if anything goes wrong. I'm also rather old-fashioned in one respect; I freely use the 'net for all sorts of stuff.....but I will not buy things online; no end of hassle in the event of 'problems'! If I can't find what I want locally, I'll do without.....although we're rather well served, locally, with regard to computer equipment retailers & suppliers; and at least one of those will go out of their way to source stuff for you, that they don't stock themselves. So I'm quite lucky, really.

Also, if you're using the non-PAE version of Tahrpup, then, again, I can't comment, as I use the PAE version.

You didn't say which of the network connection programs you're using?

Regards,

Mike. :)

rcrsn51

#20 Post by rcrsn51 »

I have two 8188eu adapters - a micro version and one with a big antenna. Both work fine in Tahrpup using PeasyWiFi. I get similar dmesg ERROR messages, but the last one is always "assoc success".

Both of my adapters are name-brand.