Output in GIF format missng from mtpaint 3.44.48 (SOLVED)

Paint programs, vector editors, 3d modelers, animation editors, etc.
B.K. Johnson

Output in GIF format missng from mtpaint 3.44.48 (SOLVED)

#1 Post by B.K. Johnson »

Hello puppians
I used to be able to save a graphic in mtpaint to GIF format so that I could create an lss file using giftolss. But mtpaint-3.44.48 doesn't have the option to save as GIF it seems anymore or maybe only in slacko builds. Can't find in either slacko-5.7 or tahrpup.

Perl is included in slacko-5.7. If I can get a link to a ppmtolss16 pet that would help.
Last edited by B.K. Johnson on Wed 03 Dec 2014, 07:04, edited 1 time in total.

rcrsn51

Re: Output in GIF format missng from mtpaint 3.44.48

#2 Post by rcrsn51 »

B.K. Johnson wrote:Can't find in .... tahrpup.
Run: Image > Convert to Indexed > 256 Colours

mostly_lurking

#3 Post by mostly_lurking »

I found that when converting an image to indexed colors and cutting down the palette size to no more than 16 colors, mtPaint gives me the option to save the image in lss format. Maybe your version does too so you won't need an additional conversion tool?

(But in case you do, here is a package that contains ppmtolss16, ls16toppm and gif2lss.)

wjaguar

Re: Output in GIF format missng from mtpaint 3.44.48

#4 Post by wjaguar »

B.K. Johnson wrote:I used to be able to save a graphic in mtpaint to GIF format so that I could create an lss file using giftolss.
mtPaint can save 16-color indexed images to LSS entirely by itself.
But mtpaint-3.44.48 doesn't have the option to save as GIF it seems anymore or maybe only in slacko builds.
Might happen if built on a system without giflib. But more likely, it was the image itself that wasn't indexed, but RGB. If that is the case, convert it to indexed. (And given that you want LSS - use 16 colors, and then save straight to LSS.)

B.K. Johnson

#5 Post by B.K. Johnson »

Thanks to rcrsn51, mostly_lurking and wjaguar for answering.

There is nothing wrong with mtpaint. :oops:

On following rcrsn51's instructions with a jpeg file loaded, GIF but not LSS16 appeared in the drop-down box when saving.

mostly_lurking wrote:
converting an image to indexed colors and cutting down the palette size to no more than 16 colors, mtPaint gives me the option to save the image in lss format.
and wjagua wrote:
..But more likely, it was the image itself that wasn't indexed, but RGB.

If that is the case, convert it to indexed. (And given that you want LSS - use 16 colors, and then save straight to LSS.)
You are both correct; I had not reduced the palette size. That done, I got the LSS (I think both GIF and LSS16 were options for saving).

B.K. Johnson