Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Mon 16 Sep 2019, 08:30
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Misc
Resurrection..!
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 12 of 19 [276 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, ..., 17, 18, 19 Next
wboz

PostPosted: Tue 25 Nov 2014, 13:09    Post subject:  

What, you can't sleep on anything?
Admittedly I cannot actually fully sleep on the train.
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Tue 25 Nov 2014, 13:28    Post subject:  

Don't mind me..... Just talk among yourselves..! Laughing

wboz, I don't know if you've looked at those links yet; that second one is, I think, on your side of the pond, so you shouldn't need to worry about stupid shipping costs!

There is another option, of course, to extend your sole remaining good USB port.....and that is to get a USB hub; but if you do that, DO get a powered one, with its own power supply. You can get them with anything up to about 8 ports; but one USB socket will NOT supply enough power for that many. At least with the CardBus converter, you've got the necessary power supply already 'laid-on', as it were.

My Presario's got 7; four at the back, two at the front, and a seventh one as part of a media card reader. The card reader no longer works.....but the USB port does. I have a 7-port powered hub plugged into one of the rear ones, giving me a total of 13 in all. And nearly all of those are in regular use!

Mike. Wink

wboz

PostPosted: Tue 25 Nov 2014, 23:15    Post subject:  

Eh .. poor news. 5.2.8.7 (which looks great btw) doesn't have a 8188eu module i can find. I think it can recognize the intel 2200n wifi chip, but the connection isn't strong enough without an antenna ... I think I got connected for like 3 seconds :/ More to come. May try trusty instead...
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Wed 26 Nov 2014, 11:39    Post subject:  

@wboz:

DO give 'Tahrpup' a try. I know it means customizing all over again, but having tried some of the other pups, I happen to think it's a great one. Not just because it's rejuvenated the 1100, but I'm also using it on my main workhorse (the Compaq), because I'm THAT impressed with it...!

And you'll definitely get the TP-Link connected in that without ANY problems.

Keep us posted on what you decide to do.

Mike.

wboz

PostPosted: Wed 26 Nov 2014, 18:40    Post subject:  

It works!! Yay Smile

More thoughts later. One issue real quick with Palemoon. Works fine first time. Any subsequent boot, "your palemoon profile cannot be found" and the browser won't launch. I posted in the palemoon thread but thought i'd mention it in case anyone has had/solved the issue.
rokytnji

PostPosted: Wed 26 Nov 2014, 21:05    Post subject:  

In case anybody was still wondering? I updated my post just now.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=809778#809778

It is the full picture link of the mini picture in my post repairing a old chopper.

@mikeb. I put XP Lite to good use on My MacPup 529 and now XP IBM M41 Desktop Computer. I am going to turn it into the new media center in the Motorcyle Shop.
The XP is for bike tuning software DRM. It is a old 1.8 GHZ IBM Tower/old server.
I even slipped a dvdrw into it yesterday.

I broke my TP Link Wireless USB stick for it . It sees wireless router, but gives bad password. So internals are fubar. Tested on Multiple gear. Windows and Linux. So I have a bid on the below. It has a

Code:
.Realtek RTL8191SU chipset

So I should be OK with it.
wifi.JPG
 Description   
 Filesize   23.17 KB
 Viewed   271 Time(s)

wifi.JPG

wboz

PostPosted: Wed 26 Nov 2014, 22:09    Post subject:  

Yeah! Learn from my fail! Check the chipset in the wifi unit before you buy, instead of after Very Happy

Tahrpup was great at first, very slick. Took about 2x as long to boot, but otherwise, I loved it. Connected using the dongle no problem, and pale moon seems a good browser.

Unfortunately, on the second boot, Pale Moon would not find its own profile file. I tried some fixes, then said, you know what, I can just reflash the USB and start from the top because I have only invested an hour so far and don't care about the save file contents. Well I did -- but now, no X, no matter what I tried. Boo. But, Tahrpup worked initially out of the box, so I'll just flash it again, right? Nope, same thing. So the Tahrpup that worked perfectly first boot no longer works when the same ISO is used again on the same USB stick (twice...) ....??? On that one I have NO idea.

In the meantime folks helped me determine that I needed the 5.2.8.7 lupu for the right module, and it was NOT in the superlupu. Oops, OK. Trying that now. Wifi - Good. Firefox - Good. (But 24 not available from the repos? Hm. 19 is OK for now and I can in-browser upgrade if I decide to). Flash - Good. Still playing with settings. Getting there!!! Very Happy
rokytnji

PostPosted: Wed 26 Nov 2014, 22:14    Post subject:  

Errrr. When it comes to Firefox or Seamonkey. I just download the bz2 tar file.
Extract it. Make a launcher. Insert a Icon. Done.

It does not matter which Puppy I am in. I have the latest running in LightHouse 4 on a Panasonic CF-48 Toughbook.

I could probably get away doing that with PaleMoon also if everything is in their tar file download.
wboz

PostPosted: Wed 26 Nov 2014, 22:37    Post subject:  

At some point I will likely do something like that ... Firefox 19 is old enough, I think, that it's not the fastest at rendering pages. I'll do some research before jumping to any snap decisions though, because, I finally have a well-functioning system and I want to take a short pause!

Except that the wifi connection doesn't persist between boots. The profile does, but it can't connect and I have to redo it each time. Not a huge deal, not for this computer. Smile This is my little project computer, I am having fun with it!
rokytnji

PostPosted: Wed 26 Nov 2014, 23:48    Post subject:  

Yay. I won it for $3.25.
Downloading drivers now just in case I need them later. Even though it comes with the cd. Newer kernel over 3.2 should handle it though without needing to compile the driver.

http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PFid=48&Level=5&Conn=4&ProdID=229&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false&Downloads=true

Should be in by next Wednesday. Cool Beans.

Then there is always

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=59000

For older kernel Puppies also for that rig. Especially right here.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=462469#462469

The IBM M41 Lives! My wifi from the shop to my router in the house goes through steel walls and metal quonset hut walls. Plus 200 feet to stucco walls.
My laptop wireless g pcmcia cards handle the job OK using Puppy.
mikeb

PostPosted: Thu 27 Nov 2014, 06:04    Post subject:  

does firefox get faster...thought it just got bigger Very Happy

seen plenty of posts about non persisting wifi... must be a quirk of the newer connection wizards...maybe if you can select something like dougals original?

You remind me of why i build drivers for older distros Very Happy

xp lite..neat... you found it straightforward enough?...its main learning is wading through a hell of a lot of options....but at least you only have to do it once Smile

mike
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Thu 27 Nov 2014, 06:43    Post subject:  

Tahrpup's broadband connection is great on the big ol' Compaq, but then it would be, as it's on Ethernet. I DO find, however, that on the 1100 (just like a lot of you in this thread!), although it remembers the profile, it has to be manually re-loaded each time after boot.

I'm like you though, wboz; the 1100 is my 'play-around' 'puter.....at the mo, I'm just having fun with it.

Mike.

rokytnji

PostPosted: Thu 27 Nov 2014, 13:50    Post subject:  

Quote:
you found it straightforward enough?

KISS Baby! I like that it has nothing in it. I can build as I go.

Kinda like today with the Thanksgiving feast

We and the Hispanics here celebrate Native American Genocide Day every Year.
Also known as Thanksgiving Day.
wboz

PostPosted: Fri 05 Dec 2014, 22:37    Post subject:  

Oh! What could it be? An early self-christmas present?

Yes, my $8 processor arrived in the mail. I wanted to post a picture, but I couldn't figure out how to upload it

Intel Pentium M 770. I am so excited. I realize this isn't going to be an impressive machine even after the swap, but think about it this way: If you have an old Honda del sol S lying around with 106hp, and you found a cheap 160hp B16A2 engine and swapped that in ... wouldn't you still be excited, even though it's not a 2014 BMW Z4?
mikeb

PostPosted: Sat 06 Dec 2014, 04:28    Post subject:  

How dare you be on topic!!!!

images have to be less than 800px wide and 250kB...also you upload them before posting ...or thats how it works for me.

Otherwise use and image host and paste the address and wrap it in the [IMG] tags.

mike
Page 12 of 19 [276 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, ..., 17, 18, 19 Next
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Misc
Jump to: