Switched to new machine, Puppy can't find HP printer driver

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of printers
NETTKNUT

Switched to new machine, Puppy can't find HP printer driver

#1 Post by NETTKNUT »

About 2 years ago I switched to linux from windows and installed my HP psc 1200 printer successfully. I recently upgraded to a faster machine but when I try to install my printer the CUPS manager can no longer find the psc 1200 driver. It seems to have been removed from HP's list (perhaps it is out of date?). What do I have to do to get it back as I can't print anything? Please help.

rcrsn51

#2 Post by rcrsn51 »

What HP printer driver package have you installed?

NETTKNUT

HP printer driver

#3 Post by NETTKNUT »

Thanks for you reply. I found that exactly the same trouble as I am experiencing was posted by dbd400@gmail.com on 28 MAR 2013 at http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=85312. "How to use the HP psc 1200 all-in-one printer (solved)". You helped to find a solution so I'll follow the advice you gave then. I missed this posting yesterday.

This is the procedure I followed yesterday; I clicked on cups printer wizard in slacko menu;clicked on show extended online help; clicked on manage printing; clicked on CUPS 1.4.8; clicked on CUPS for administrators; clicked on adding printers and classes; clicked on printers; selected HP PSC 1200 series; I got a pull-down list of many HP printers but when it came to the psc series the numbers jumped from HP PSC 950xi to 2100, all intermediate printers were not there.

Another worry, I could not get the CUPS help to open. Could this be a fault in my computer or the website?

I'll come back to you if I run into trouble.

rcrsn51

Re: HP printer driver

#4 Post by rcrsn51 »

NETTKNUT wrote:I'll come back to you if I run into trouble.
As a basic courtesy, you should report back regardless of what happens.

If you had answered my question, it would have taken five minutes to resolve this issue.

NETTKNUT

HP printer driver

#5 Post by NETTKNUT »

Thanks for your reply and the advice on etiquette. My failure in this regard was purely unintentional. My apologies. Glad to say I have now got my printer going again.