Legacy GRUB Config 2019

Miscellaneous tools
rcrsn51

Legacy GRUB Config 2019

#1 Post by rcrsn51 »

Download the Puppy version from here. Read here for details.

-----------------
Last edited by rcrsn51 on Sat 27 Jun 2020, 02:44, edited 18 times in total.

rcrsn51

#2 Post by rcrsn51 »

How to Install Ubuntu and put GRUB2 in the Partition Boot Sector.

Whenever you install an OS like Ubuntu, you are given some choices about where to install the bootloader. In a multi-boot environment, the best procedure is to put the bootloader in the boot sector of OS's own partition. Then the install is completely self-contained and won't alter whatever bootloading system you already have in place.

Before starting an Ubuntu install, I find it best to use Puppy and its Gparted to organize the hard drive structure. Then I have control over where things like the extended partition and swap will go. Otherwise, Ubuntu may make some decisions that I don't like.

1. Boot off your Ubuntu CD and start the install procedure.

2. From the first menu, choose Specify Partitions Manually (Advanced)

3. The next screen has a table of partitions. Double-click on your target partition.

4. This is the Edit Partition screen. Choose:
a. Use As: ext4
b. Format the Partition
c. Mount Point: /
d. OK

5. Back on the previous screen, there is a drop-down list of targets for the GRUB2 bootloader. Select your target partition. Do NOT select /dev/sda - that is your hard drive's MBR.

6. Continue the installation.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#3 Post by BarryK »

Great, now in Woof, see my blog post:

http://bkhome.org/blog2/?viewDetailed=00235
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

ASRI éducation

#4 Post by ASRI éducation »

legacy_grub_2013-1.4.pet
Thank you!

greengeek

#5 Post by greengeek »

Is Legacy Grub able to help me with trying to boot from an SD card which is known as mmcblk0p1 instead of sda1, sda2 etc? Tried grub4dos but it says "No supported filesystems found in /dev/mmcblk0p1|ext4|
(I also tried Fat32 and f2fs without success)

rcrsn51

#6 Post by rcrsn51 »

1. Format the card again as fat32.

2. Do a frugal install onto the card, but not in a subfolder.

3. From the command line, run

Code: Select all

grub
find /vmlinuz
Does this identify the card as an (hdxy) value?

greengeek

#7 Post by greengeek »

"find /vmlinuz" comes back with "Error 15: File not found"
I have formatted as Fat32 and added the vmlinuz, initrd.gz and main.sfs onto the drive, but not within a subdirectory. I tried the find /vmlinuz command with this new grub, and also with the original grub but both show file not found (Testing on a live session of Slacko 5.6)

I have not added a bootloader. Should I have done so?

rcrsn51

#8 Post by rcrsn51 »

I tried this on two machines with internal card readers. One required keucr.ko to be loaded and the other would only detect the device if the card was inserted at bootup.

I did a manual setup of Grub4Dos and a frugal Puppy install. It looked OK.

The problem was with the BIOS. Neither machine would recognize the card reader as a bootable device. A little googling reveals that this is a common problem with no solution.

sheldonisaac

Boot from flashram card

#9 Post by sheldonisaac »

rcrsn51 wrote: The problem was with the BIOS. Neither machine would recognize the card reader as a bootable device. A little googling reveals that this is a common problem with no solution.
My Acer Aspire One, of a few years ago, has SD slots, but doesn't boot from a card.
The same card allows booting, if used in a USB adapter.
Dell E6410: BusterPup, BionicPup64, Xenial, etc
Intel DQ35JOE, Dell Vostro 430
Dell Inspiron, Acer Aspire One, EeePC 1018P

greengeek

#10 Post by greengeek »

rcrsn51 wrote:The problem was with the BIOS. Neither machine would recognize the card reader as a bootable device. A little googling reveals that this is a common problem with no solution.
sheldonisaac wrote:My Acer Aspire One, of a few years ago, has SD slots, but doesn't boot from a card. The same card allows booting, if used in a USB adapter.
Thank you both - yes the problem does seem to be bios - my sd card boots correctly if used in a multicard adapter into a usb port, but not when inserted into the inbuilt sd card slot. I am able to create the card successfully when it is in the inbuilt slot (and seen as mmcblk0p1) but it has to be transferred across to a usb port for booting.

(just for interests sake - I did find a forum talking about how to boot from a mmcblk0 block device and although it relates to knoppix there might be some clue in it somewhere for me to come back to. Thread here)

rcrsn51

#11 Post by rcrsn51 »

Even if you had a machine with a bootable card reader, Puppy would still need to find its main sfs file. I don't know if it's smart enough to look on mmc devices.

666philb

#12 Post by 666philb »

hi rcrsn51

tahrpup is missing legacy_grub, and i was going to add then one from precise 5.7.1 then read your warning on the first post.

i see there's also no link to the original one on your post, are there problems with it?

thanks

phil
Bionicpup64 built with bionic beaver packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311
Xenialpup64, built with xenial xerus packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107331

nubc

#13 Post by nubc »

I'm trying to install Wary 5.5 with legacy grub. Where is rcrsn51's Legacy Grub Config 2013? Anyone know where to get this .pet? Is it in the repo now?

ASRI éducation

#14 Post by ASRI éducation »

nubc wrote:I'm trying to install Wary 5.5 with legacy grub. Where is rcrsn51's Legacy Grub Config 2013? Anyone know where to get this .pet? Is it in the repo now?
Hello,
I use the version of rcrsn5 with precise 5.7.1-CE.
Uploaded here http://sourceforge.net/projects/asriedu ... 13-1.6.pet
Regards,
Projet ASRI éducation => [url=http://asri-education.org/]Association[/url] | [url=http://forum.asri-education.org/]Forum[/url] | [url=http://dl01.asri-education.org/]Dépôt[/url] | [url=http://kids.asri-education.org/]Espace kids[/url]

James186282

#15 Post by James186282 »

Has anyone had any luck getting legacy grub working on Tahr 6.0.5? I tried the 1.6 pet here and "Cannot copy the files"

If I do it the old fashion way
grub-install /dev/sda it returns with /usr/lib/grub/x86_64-pc/stage1: Not found.

And its true. /usr/lib/grub is devoid of any files. There is an empty directory called i386-pc

I like my menu.lst so I wonder what the solution is?
Could I just copy the MBR (1st 466 bytes) from a working 64 bit machine and copy the /boot/grub directories? I tried compiling .97 from source but its looking (I think) for an ancient setup of gcc.

Thanks.
666philb wrote:hi rcrsn51

tahrpup is missing legacy_grub, and i was going to add then one from precise 5.7.1 then read your warning on the first post.

i see there's also no link to the original one on your post, are there problems with it?

thanks

phil
Science is what we understand well enough to explain to a computer.
Art is everything else we do.
[i]Donald Knuth [/i]

rcrsn51

#16 Post by rcrsn51 »

Those files are definitely in Tahrpup 605. But your reference to "/usr/lib/grub/x86_64-pc/stage1" makes me wonder if you are really running Tahr64.

mister_electronico

My experience with legacy_grub

#17 Post by mister_electronico »

First of many thanks to rcrsn51 for this pet legacy_grub.

I want to show here my experience with legacy_grub. because I had to boot and reboot many times until I stopped seeing the message "file not found".

I tried with an Hp laptop where I wanted to start Xenial 7.5, LxPupSc64 and Slacko5.7.2 all in their corresponding folders, with their files vmlinuz, initrd.gz corresponding other files.

When we run the script legacy_grub.creates a directory /boot/grub with the files menu.lst, stage1 and stage2.

menu.lts contains something similar

timeout 2
default 0
#
title Puppy Linux Frugal on sda1
root (hd0,0)
kernel /vmlinuz pmedia=atahd pdev1=sda1 pfix=fsck
initrd /initrd.gz
#
title Puppy Linux Frugal on sda1
root (hd0,0)
kernel /vmlinuz pmedia=atahd pdev1=sda1 pfix=fsck
initrd /initrd.gz
#
title Windows on (hd0,0)
root (hd0,0)
chainloader +1
#
title Ubuntu on (hd0,0)
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/grub/core.img
After many attempts what got everything to work was the following:

timeout 10
default 0
#
title Xenialpup-7.5 (sda1/Xenialpup-7.5) 
root (hd0,0)
kernel /Xenialpup-7.5/vmlinuz pmedia=atahd pdev1=sda1 psubdir=/Xenialpup-7.5 pfix=fsck
initrd /Xenialpup-7.5/initrd.gz
#
title LxPupSc64 (sda1/LxPupSc64principal) 
root (hd0,0)
kernel /LxPupSc64principal/vmlinuz pmedia=atahd pdev1=sda1 psubdir=/LxPupSc64principal pfix=fsck
initrd /LxPupSc64principal/initrd.gz
#
title CE_Slacko_572 (sda1/CE_Slacko_572) 
root (hd0,0)
kernel /CE_Slacko_572/vmlinuz pmedia=atahd pdev1=sda1 psubdir=/CE_Slacko_572 pfix=fsck
initrd /CE_Slacko_572/initrd.gz
#
title Windows on (hd0,0)
root (hd0,0)
chainloader +1
#
title Ubuntu on (hd0,0)
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/grub/core.img
Surely there are several ways to do it, but someone may find it useful.

Regards.

rcrsn51

#18 Post by rcrsn51 »

Updated 2020-06-26. See the main post.