ViewSonic VX2035WM (VS 11435) gives Out of Range error

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of computer video hardware
nubc

ViewSonic VX2035WM (VS 11435) gives Out of Range error

#1 Post by nubc »

I just purchased this ViewSonic 20-inch monitor, which generates an Out of Range error every time I boot. My vid card is GeForce FX5200 (128 mb). The Out of Range error message also cites H.Frequency = 70kHz, V.Frequency = 6.5 Hz. I don't know if these numbers represent the actual setting or the required/desired setting. Has anybody else experienced difficulty getting an old nVidia card to work with this monitor, or ViewSonic monitors in general. The exact measurements of the screen are 17 x 10.5 inches, so it's not really a wide screen. I am able to select various screen resolutions from the Manjaro 0.8.10 splash screen, but none of these get past the error message. Any explanations or suggestions welcome.

ardvark

#2 Post by ardvark »

Hi...

I'm running Puppy on a ViewSonic E70b just fine, although it's not an LCD, if that matters any. :wink:

I think the numbers you've mentioned are actual, not desired. Have you tried just booting to the command line and running the video wizard from there? Resetting the refresh rate to 60 hz might help but I'm not sure. This site has some tips and is where I saw the information about the refresh rate.

If that doesn't work, does using nomodeset help?

Regards...
Our Lord and Savior [url=http://peacewithgod.jesus.net/]Jesus Christ[/url] loves and cares about you most of all!

PLEASE READ! You don't have to end up [url=http://www.spiritlessons.com/Documents/BillWiese_23MinutesInHell_Text.htm]here![/url]

nubc

#3 Post by nubc »

One source says the resolution of this monitor is 1680 x 1050. That's kinda odd. But the real problem is that I can't get any 64-bit Puppy to boot this computer. So I can't learn how to do it with Puppy. Only Manjaro 0.8.10 Xfce boots it. Ugh to the permissions and sudo commands, such a pain.

ardvark

#4 Post by ardvark »

nubc wrote:But the real problem is that I can't get any 64-bit Puppy to boot this computer. So I can't learn how to do it with Puppy. Only Manjaro 0.8.10 Xfce boots it. Ugh to the permissions and sudo commands, such a pain.
Hi...

So my suggestions didn't work? If not, are you able to boot a 32 bit version of Puppy, just as a lark?

Regards...

nubc

#5 Post by nubc »

Okay, I got Slacko 5.5 to boot up, booting first to prompt, then running xorgwizard. The resolutions that work, 1024x768 and 1280x1024, don't look too hot, being stretched horizontally. The desired resolution 1680 x 1050 does not work (Out of Range error), and there is a comment in the menu saying that my video card can't do it, essentially. Actually, the resolution 1280x1024 did not work because the bottom three-fourths of the menu tree was blank. At least now I know the monitor works. I guess it's an oddball size for an analog display.

ardvark

#6 Post by ardvark »

Hi...

Hmm, you may also be working with the limitations of your particular video card. I wonder if upgrading your card would improve or solve this, like the GeForce 6200, if your system has an AGP 8X port and power supply to support it?

Regards...

nubc

#7 Post by nubc »

When I said it was an oddball size for an analog display, I neglected to mention that it has a digital mode with HDMI connector. Just out of curiosity, where is the file that I edit to change resolution and refresh rate to custom values? I'll probably have to edit that file in Manjaro.

Viewsonic VX 2035WM (VS11435) manual (pdf)
http://www.go-gddq.com/upload/2011-07/1 ... 497415.pdf

I may as well ask about a possible hardware issue. The Power button is divided into three segments. The central segment is an immobile blue/amber-colored LED, with two black plastic segments on either side that will turn ON the monitor. I observe that the central segment is recessed from the surface about 3/16 inch, where the other two segments are mounted flush with the outer surface. It's possible that the LED segment was forced in and broken or jammed, but this does not affect operation of the ON/OFF button(s), the two segments on either side of the LED. Does anyone have this monitor, and can tell me if it is normal for the power LED to be recessed like this? If the LED is abnormally recessed and/or stuck, I might have to disassemble the monitor to straighten out the plastic buttons.

nubc

#8 Post by nubc »

I tend to be about 5 years behind cutting edge technology. I ask the following question to ascertain a general trend, and do not require a precise answer. Is this kind of error common when using a widescreen monitor? Am I always going to have black screens and config problems if I use a widescreen monitor with both VGA and HDMI connections?