DebianDog - Wheezy

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
saintless

#441 Post by saintless »

In case someone uses separate kernel module all kernel modules replaced. No need to download them again. The changes are only in initrd files for live-boot-2x and porteus-boot for extra options:

live-boot-2x - added whiteout files support for sfs modules. This is preaparation for next DebianDog update with Improved RemasterCow script with added option to include whiteout files. It means modules created with RemasterCow will support not only installed programs and added/changed files, but also uninstalled programs and removed files included in the main 01-filesystem.squashfs module. Or if this option is activated from the user in new RemasterCow - loading the extra module will mark the uninstalled programs/files (from the main module) as whiteout (removed) for the system.

porteus-boot (porteus initrd in latest DebianDog is moded already. The change is added now in all initrd files for porteus-boot in separate kernel modules) - support for systemd boot as described from Fred here.

mcewanw

changing default browser desktop icon to point to iceweasel

#442 Post by mcewanw »

Hi Toni,

Summer here so hardly on computer just now. However, downloaded the new DebianDog jwm iso soon after you released it and trying to set it up with iceweasel just now. However, seems to be a problem setting default_web-browser symlink to point to /usr/bin/iceweasel (which is itself a symlink also). After attempting to do so either manually or via Set Default App on clicking the desktop browser icon I get the pop-up message: No run action specified for files of this type (application/x-sharedlib)

I quickly read back through latest posts but don't see anything mentioning this issue from anyone else or perhaps I just missed a post about it. Worked fine with previous DebianDog. Have you or anyone else come across the problem and know the fix?

Otherwise, all looks fine so far.

Best wishes, William
github mcewanw

saintless

#443 Post by saintless »

Hi, William.

Maybe changing Rox with new version is the cause of this problem. I will need some time to check this.

Quick fixes to test now:

1. Fix 1: Point default_web-browser link to /usr/bin/firefox

2. Fix 2: After chaging the link and popup message "No run action specified", try right click on the desktop icon -> Sym link WWW -> Set run action -> exec "$@"
Click on the icon again.
Then do the same again but this time removing exec: right click on the desktop icon -> Sym link WWW -> Set run action -> "$@"
It worked for me but didn't test it much yet.

Toni

saintless

Re: changing default browser desktop icon to point to iceweasel

#444 Post by saintless »

mcewanw wrote:Worked fine with previous DebianDog. Have you or anyone else come across the problem and know the fix?
Hi, William.

Just tested the old DebianDog version and iceweasel link does not work there also. BTW you can find older versions here.
The problem is /usr/lib/iceweasel/iceweasel executable is shown as library file in Rox. It has nothing to do with upgraded Rox (all settings are from the previous one). I can only guess the iceweasel package was replaced/upgraded in Debian repository since the link does not work now with previous DebianDog version.
Anyway both fixes above work. I will add the second in next version changes.

Toni

mcewanw

#445 Post by mcewanw »

Hi Toni,

Yes, I used your suggested fix 1 and the desktop icon starts iceweasel up fine after that thanks.

William
github mcewanw

Ether

SMP kernel for Oct 14 2014 Debian Dog iso?

#446 Post by Ether »

I apologize if this is the wrong thread, or if this question has already been answered.

I'm new to this forum software and have so far been unable to figure out how to search a *thread* (like this one) which contains 30 pages.

My question: Is there an SMP kernel available for the Oct 14 2014 Debian Dog release?

Thank you.

saintless

#447 Post by saintless »

Hi, Ether.

Two SMP kernels available for download + instruction here:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 459#774459
026-kernel-3.14-Pae.tar.gz archive contains kernel 3.14-0.bpo.1-686-pae
022-kernel-686-pae.zip archive contains kernel 3.2.0-4-686-pae
The kernels are (and will be) compatible with any DebianDog-Wheezy (previous or future version).
023-kernel-3.9.11-porteus.zip also contains SMP kernel but it is from Porteus (not Debian official kernel which means you will have some troubles to run programs like VirtualBox for example).

Toni

worktowork

How to make portable qupzilla ?

#448 Post by worktowork »

Thank you for debiandog really good!!! Now I am using full install.I like browser qupzilla I installed with dependencies.I have an old PC (SIS is trouble for linux) How to make qupzilla portable and another soft ? Also how add russian language and indicator for language ?Thank you for help.

saintless

Re: How to make portable qupzilla ?

#449 Post by saintless »

Hi, Worktowork!

Unfortunately full install does not have option to make separate modules from installed programs and you can't load/unload sfs (squashfs) modules in full install.
If you use frugal install just install Qupzilla and use RemasterCow (Create module from changes) to make separate squashfs module with Qupzilla.
Instruction how to use RemasterCow you can find here (just use the default settings):
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 214#773214
Or use apt2sfs:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 224#773224

Adding Russian language with indicator is explained well here from Sergey (Sklimkin)
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 670#756670
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 719#756719
If you do not need language indicator you can use Keyboard Layout from menu to add Russian language and Alt+Shift or other combination to switch languages:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 227#773227

Ether

#450 Post by Ether »

Toni posted Thu 06 Nov 2014, 13:33:
Briefly, what are the relative merits of 022 vs 026? I am running Pentium D (dual core) 3.4GHz, 3GB RAM.

Thank you.

Ether

#451 Post by Ether »

Toni wrote Thu 06 Nov 2014, 13:33:
The kernels are (and will be) compatible with any DebianDog-Wheezy (previous or future version).
I thought I should report this:

I just tried 026 kernel with Oct14 Wheezy openbox xfce ISO.

It booted without errors.

I did apt-get update & apt-get install hardinfo, then ran hardinfo benchmark tests. The FPU FFT test aborted with segment fault.

Hardinfo FPU FFT runs to completion without errors when booted to the unmodified Oct14 Wheezy openbox xfce ISO.

saintless

#452 Post by saintless »

Hi, Ether.

I think kernel 3.2 and 3.14 series difference is newer hardware support in kernel 3.14. And some old hardware support is removed from 3.14 series. For example I can't boot to desktop with 3.14 on some old machines that run fine with kernel 3.2 (SMP or not).
Some more information about kernel 3.2 and kernel 3.14 series.

I guess for you it will be better to use 022-kernel-686-pae.zip because I have no problems with OpenBox version and hardinfo test using 026-kernel-3.14-Pae.tar.gz. It could be some CPU or other hardware incompatiblity causing the problem for you:

Code: Select all

Operating System
----------------

-Version-
Kernel		: Linux 3.14-0.bpo.1-686-pae (i686)
Compiled		: #1 SMP Debian 3.14.4-1~bpo70+1 (2014-05-14)
C Library		: Unknown
Default C Compiler		: Unknown
Distribution		: Debian GNU/Linux 7.6
-Current Session-
Computer Name		: dog
User Name		: root (root)
Home Directory		: /root
Desktop Environment		: Unknown (Window Manager: Openbox)
-Misc-
Uptime		: 6 minutes
Load Average		: 0.60, 0.58, 0.33

===============================

Benchmarks

CPU Blowfish
------------

-CPU Blowfish-
<big><b>This Machine</b></big>	1592 MHz	21.573	
Intel(R) Celeron(R) M processor         1.50GHz	(null)	26.1876862	
PowerPC 740/750 (280.00MHz)	(null)	172.816713	

CPU CryptoHash
--------------

-CPU CryptoHash-
<big><b>This Machine</b></big>	1592 MHz	58.685	

CPU Fibonacci
-------------

-CPU Fibonacci-
<big><b>This Machine</b></big>	1592 MHz	6.024	
Intel(R) Celeron(R) M processor         1.50GHz	(null)	8.1375674	
PowerPC 740/750 (280.00MHz)	(null)	58.07682	

CPU N-Queens
------------

-CPU N-Queens-
<big><b>This Machine</b></big>	1592 MHz	14.749	

FPU FFT
-------

-FPU FFT-
<big><b>This Machine</b></big>	1592 MHz	12.737	

FPU Raytracing
--------------

-FPU Raytracing-
<big><b>This Machine</b></big>	1592 MHz	30.517	
Intel(R) Celeron(R) M processor         1.50GHz	(null)	40.8816714	
PowerPC 740/750 (280.00MHz)	(null)	161.312647	
Toni

Ether

#453 Post by Ether »

Toni posted Mon 10 Nov 2014, 05:33:
I guess for you it will be better to use 022-kernel-686-pae.zip
I just tried that. Hardinfo aborted when running FPU FFT benchmark, with same segmentation fault error message as with 026 kernel:
root@dog:~# uname -a
Linux dog 3.2.0-4-686-pae #1 SMP Debian 3.2.51-1 i686 GNU/Linux
root@dog:~# hardinfo
GUI hardinfo window comes up, runs fine, except when I try to run FPO FFT benchmark test; then it aborts and returns to the terminal window:
root@dog:~# uname -a
Linux dog 3.2.0-4-686-pae #1 SMP Debian 3.2.51-1 i686 GNU/Linux
root@dog:~# hardinfo
Segmentation fault
root@dog:~#

Question:

The above was using 022-kernel-686-pae.zip that I downloaded from
http://smokey01.com/saintless/DebianDog ... 86-pae.zip
on November 9, 2014.

I also still have a 022-kernel-686-pae.zip that I downloaded May 27, 2014. Its contents are identical to the Nov09 download, except for the initrd* files which are modified.

So I have 2 ZIP files, both with the same name (022-kernel-686-pae.zip), one downloaded May27 and the other downloaded Nov09, whose initrd* files are not identical.

What are the differences please?

Thank you.

saintless

#454 Post by saintless »

Hi, Ether.

Hardinfo works without errors for me after running FPU FFT benchmark but I do not have dual core processor to test. Maybe the problem appears only in combination SMP kernel + dual core machine. Found similar bug here reported for hardinfo.

After May the changes in initrd are:
live-boot-3x - added support for encrypted save file/partition.
live-boot-2x - added wh (whiteout) files support for loaded squashfs modules. This means if extra squashfs module contains information for deleted files and removed programs - the same files and programs in 01-filesystem.squashfs will be hidden for the system when the extra squashfs module is loaded. RemasterCow will be changed in next version with option to include wh files.
porteus-boot - added encrypted save file support; fix to make load= parameter work proper (if you add it to the boot code manually); option to use systemd instead sysvinit with porteus-boot by adding the same parameter as for live-boot2x,3x (init=/bin/systemd).
You can continue using the older initrd files without problem till you need some of the options above.

worktowork

Why am I in root ?

#455 Post by worktowork »

Dear ,
Why am I in root ? How can I change root password ? How can I be user ?
In xterm I can`t paste , so I paste in rox-term.
Full installation.
Please , explain what is frugal installation ?
Which djvu reader you recommend for old PC ?

saintless

Re: Why am I in root ?

#456 Post by saintless »

Hi, Worktowork.
Why am I in root ?
Because we try to make DebianDog look like Puppy as much as possible and Puppy linux auto-logins as root.
How can I change root password ?
Easy. Just type in terminal:

sudo passwd root
How can I be user ?
This information is in the first post. Since you like to work from user account I suggest to type first in terminal xdm-start. Then reboot. This will start xdm login manager. login with name puppy and password puppy. If you like to create different user account use System -> Add New User
In xterm I can`t paste , so I paste in rox-term.
You can paste also in xterm by selecting the text and click (pressing) in xterm scroll mouse button.
Please , explain what is frugal installation ?
In short the system is inside squashfs read-only module and you save the changes in save file, folder or partition. If something goes wrong you can boot without persistent (without save file) and fix the problem or start fresh with new save file. Frugal has many advantages in my opinion. More information here:
http://antix.mepis.org/index.php?title=Frugal_install
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/FrugalOrFullInstallation
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/Frugal
Which djvu reader you recommend for old PC ?
I use djview.

apt-get install djview
Toni

worktowork

Frugal (not in RAM) or Frugal (copied to RAM) ?

#457 Post by worktowork »

Dear ,
Which frugal installation in debian dog Frugal (not in RAM) or Frugal (copied to RAM) ? (from site http://puppylinux.org/wikka/FrugalOrFullInstallation )
Can I frugal install in partition where full installation of debian dog ? Grub2dos will updated with script or not ?

saintless

Re: Frugal (not in RAM) or Frugal (copied to RAM) ?

#458 Post by saintless »

Hi, Worktowork.

Please, read the first post on the first page and the links with information for each boot method and persistent options here:
porteus-boot - closest to Puppy linux persistent options.
live-boot-2x - Debian Squeeze persistent options.
live-boot-3x - Debian Wheezy persistent options.
Which frugal installation in debian dog Frugal (not in RAM) or Frugal (copied to RAM) ?
Porteus-boot is best if you prefer Copy to Ram. If the computer is old with less than 1Gb RAM beter do not use Copy to Ram.
Can I frugal install in partition where full installation of debian dog ?
Yes.
Grub2dos will updated with script or not ?
It will reinstall grub4dos (make sure to choose grub4dos but not syslinux) adding 9 new menu entries in existing menu.lst (3 menu entries for each boot method). You can also copy manually live folder from the iso at top of the partition and add the menu entry from the examples in the links above.
If you post your existing menu.lst boot code for DebianDog full install you have now and what type of persistent (save) you prefer - (file, folder, partition, encrypted or not), copy to ram or not - I can recommend you one of the boot methods that will work best for your needs. In any case porteus-boot covers all except saving on save partition. Read porteus-boot information first.

worktowork

Saving network and start up services?

#459 Post by worktowork »

Thank you for answer.
This is my PC.(from http://antix.freeforums.org/which-antix ... t5359.html)
Machine: Mobo: N/A model: SiS-661 Bios: Phoenix v: 6.00 PG date: 02/26/2005
CPU: Single core Intel Celeron (-UP-) cache: 256 KB
speed: 2940 MHz (max)
Graphics: Card: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] 661/741/760 PCI/AGP or 662/761Gx PCIE VGA Display Adapter
Display Server: X.Org 1.12.4 drivers: sis (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
Resolution: 1024x768@85.0hz
GLX Renderer: Gallium 0.4 on llvmpipe (LLVM 0x209)
GLX Version: 2.1 Mesa 8.0.5
Audio: Card Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] SiS7012 AC'97 Sound Controller
driver: snd_intel8x0
Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k3.12-0.bpo.1-486
Network: Card: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] SiS900 PCI Fast Ethernet
driver: sis900
IF: eth0 state: unknown speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full
mac: my mac adress
Drives: HDD Total Size: 200.1GB (17.0% used)
ID-1: /dev/sda model: WDC_WD1200JB size: 120.0GB
ID-2: /dev/sdb model: WDC_WD800BB size: 80.0GB
Partition: ID-1: / size: 72G used: 30G (44%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sdb1
ID-2: swap-1 size: 2.17GB used: 0.01GB (0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sdb2
Sensors: System Temperatures: cpu: 55.0C mobo: N/A
Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Info: Processes: 101 Uptime: 1:29 Memory: 298.1/469.4MB
Client: Shell (bash) inxi: 2.2.15
After trying debian dog jwm really quick.My memory is 469MB. Now I am trying to use frugal installation.I can`t connect with freesbie and simple network setup ,only with adsl/ppoe configuration .Can I delete freesbie and simple network setup? Also I must put script in for my internet provider
Solution :
Create a custom startup script in /etc/network/if-pre-up.d/ example preup.

#! /bin/sh
ifconfig eth0 down
ifconfig eth0 hw ether (your mac-address)
ifconfig eth0 up
as root chmod 755 /etc/network/if-pre-up.d/preup
Which soft I must use for saving network script in frugal installation ? I learned saving system with low ram (system used 30 mb memory)
Can I use windows XP video driver for SIS in linux ?And how ? I am asking you this , because freesbie can use windows driver for ethernet card . Is it work ?

saintless

Re: Saving network and start up services?

#460 Post by saintless »

Hi, Worktowork.

In my opinion it is better not to use Copy to Ram with 469 Mb.
Can I delete freesbie and simple network setup?
I guess removing will not create problems for pppoe connection but you have only frisbee (or only sns) installed and both take very small space (around 300Kb). If you like to remove it anyway use:

sudo apt-get purge frisbee
and delete the deb package /opt/apps/sns_2.1.1-1.deb
Also I must put script in for my internet provider
Solution :
Create a custom startup script in /etc/network/if-pre-up.d/ example preup.

#! /bin/sh
ifconfig eth0 down
ifconfig eth0 hw ether (your mac-address)
ifconfig eth0 up
as root chmod 755 /etc/network/if-pre-up.d/preup
Which soft I must use for saving network script in frugal installation ?
You need only to use save file or save folder. Then the script and any other changes you make will be saved after reboot.
If you want a script to be executed on startup make it executable and add it in ~/Startup (/home/username/Startup, or /root/Startup if you prefer to run as root). Also adding executable script in /etc/profile.d will work the same way.

I suggest to try manually frugal install porteus-boot on the same partition where DebianDog full install is till you get comfortable using frugall install options. Copy live folder from the iso at top of the partition and add this boot code to menu.lst:

title DebianDog-Porteus changes=/live/ on sda1
root (hd0,0)
kernel /live/vmlinuz1 noauto from=/ changes=/live/
initrd /live/initrd1.xz
Just change root (hd0,0) to point the correct partition (or replace root (hd0,0) with the same UUID line from full install boot entry).
All changes you make will be saved inside /live/mage/live/changes folder.
Can I use windows XP video driver for SIS in linux ?And how ? I am asking you this , because freesbie can use windows driver for ethernet card . Is it work ?
I think it is not possible to use windows graphic driver. DebianDog is Debian Wheezy and has included xserver-xorg-video-sis and driver /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/sis_drv.so which should work with Silicon Integrated Systems graphics.
I don't know if this helps but found some links about SIS gpu driver problems here. There is suggestion to create and tweak xorg.conf file:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2215422
http://www.socialphy.com/posts/computer ... Linux.html
http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php? ... ms#p251710
http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php? ... ms#p282039

Toni