Fatdog64-700 beta1

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
laurentius77

Replace the kernel

#261 Post by laurentius77 »

Hello,

I would like to compile my own kernel with custom-made configuration for this great distro. I intend to use the same kernel version.
I didn't find the kernel sources and patches for now...
What I found is a kernel-kit https://github.com/puppylinux-woof-CE/w ... kernel-kit made by 01micko.
In order to get the same kernel I think I need patches that jamesbond and kirk use them.
How to I change the kernel after I will compile it?
Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.

LateAdopter

Re: Replace the kernel

#262 Post by LateAdopter »

laurentius77 wrote: I didn't find the kernel sources and patches for now...
The kernel sources are here: http://distro.ibiblio.org/fatdog/sfs/700/
or on the mirrors. It includes the as built .config that you can modify.

JustGreg

#263 Post by JustGreg »

Thanks Kirk, for the information. It is working. I had to use the urxvt desktop file as an example. Here is fing.desktop that works now:

Code: Select all

[Desktop Entry]
Name=Fing
Type=Application
Exec=xterm -e fing
Icon=/usr/share/pixmaps/midi-icons/network48.png
Comment=Network Monitor
Categories=Network;
GenericName=Fing Network App
I did find that the Linux version of fing will not detect a tablet in standby mode, but the android version will. The android version must not be using ping to detect the tablet somehow. I do not known how useful the fing will be now.
Enjoy life, Just Greg
Live Well, Laugh Often, Love Much

prehistoric

#264 Post by prehistoric »

More information on that lagging cursor problem: when I restart the window manager that lag goes away, but if I do a restart without clicking the mouse first, there is still a lag on mouse clicks until a second window manager restart. Weird.

Ted Dog

#265 Post by Ted Dog »

@prehistoric. I uncovered a timeout on X load in a setttings submenu. I think that setting has a factor in the mouse and icon draws for harddrives. Kirk or James pointed it out to me a month or so ago.

Ted Dog

#266 Post by Ted Dog »

Yeah finally got to test mom's new massive win8.1 toy. Touch screen worked outta the box (pre 700) thanks. this will be my goto box when I need to play all things
fatdog64. Turns out the secure UEFI is not even on never asked for key nor made any changes (changed back from auto legacy mode to get my flashdrive UEFI to boot directly)
Ethernet found and configure without fiddling. Finally able to check if our isolevel 4 setting will be readable by windows8. So much fun ahead.... :lol:
Need to digout my blank DVDs, multisession awaits. Plus finally able to test all of the big three cmpany video cards on a 64bit machine.

Sage

#267 Post by Sage »

More information on that lagging cursor problem: when I restart the window manager that lag goes away, but if I do a restart without clicking the mouse first, there is still a lag on mouse clicks until a second window manager restart. Weird.
Reported same effect for XSlacko2.2 on p.16 except the 'lag' is sufficient for the Pacman screensaver to cut in.