Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Wed 13 Dec 2017, 17:14
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Light-Debian-Core-Live-CD-Wheezy + Porteus-Wheezy
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topic :: View next topic
Page 254 of 283 [4236 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 252, 253, 254, 255, 256, ..., 281, 282, 283 Next
Author Message
fredx181


Joined: 11 Dec 2013
Posts: 2632
Location: holland

PostPosted: Thu 23 Oct 2014, 13:25    Post subject:  

Toni wrote:
About apt2sfs - sorry for not explaining better. The point is to be able to update dpkg with information what is installed inside the module created with apt2sfs. We do not need included in status, available and info folder the programs installed inside save file from the user.
.....
.....


Thanks for the explanation Toni, I'll see what I can do in the next days and ask in case I am stuck.
Btw, You might have been right when you were joking a while back to be careful apt2sfs script being smarter than me Smile

Fred
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
saintless


Joined: 11 Jun 2011
Posts: 3882
Location: Bulgaria

PostPosted: Thu 23 Oct 2014, 14:19    Post subject:  

Thanks, Fred Smile

Apt2sfs change is not very important. If it is not easy just leave it as it is.

Remastercow added to fixes post. The checkbox deactivated by default and changed checkbox title. I don't think it is clear enough but maybe we will think of something better till next iso update.
RemasterCow-last - download


Toni
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger 
fredx181


Joined: 11 Dec 2013
Posts: 2632
Location: holland

PostPosted: Thu 23 Oct 2014, 15:15    Post subject:  

Hi Toni,
Quote:
I don't think it is clear enough but maybe we will think of something better till next iso update.

Yes, I also think it needs small change, we'll see later.
I (hopefully) understood what's needed for your idea about apt2sfs, here's modified one: Attached apt2sfs.tar.gz
- var/lib/dpkg/infonew includes the files only from installed packages by apt2sfs.
- var/lib/dpkg/statusnew and availablenew has packages info from DD iso + packages installed by apt2sfs (nothing from possible installed or removed packages in savefile).

Fred
apt2sfs.tar.gz
Description  New apt2sfs with packages information in var/lib/dpkg
gz

 Download 
Filename  apt2sfs.tar.gz 
Filesize  5.95 KB 
Downloaded  119 Time(s) 
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
saintless


Joined: 11 Jun 2011
Posts: 3882
Location: Bulgaria

PostPosted: Thu 23 Oct 2014, 15:50    Post subject:  

fredx181 wrote:
I (hopefully) understood what's needed for your idea about apt2sfs, here's modified one: Attached apt2sfs.tar.gz

Great, Fred, thank you! Smile
Quick tested and it does exactly what I need. I can use now modules made with apt2sfs for dpkg synchronize testing. Thank you again for the fast mods!

Toni.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger 
fredx181


Joined: 11 Dec 2013
Posts: 2632
Location: holland

PostPosted: Thu 23 Oct 2014, 15:58    Post subject:  

Toni wrote:
Quick tested and it does exactly what I need. I can use now modules made with apt2sfs for dpkg synchronize testing.


Ah, nice! The hard part was to know first what exactly was needed, the rest turned out easier than I thought.
Good luck with your savefile-update project, very nice initiative!

Edit: I'm not sure if I mentioned already in the past:
I made change sometime ago in linuxrc that makes it possible (when using porteus-boot) if module loaded that has .wh files inside, it will behave exactly like savefile (record added files as well as deleted files).
Didn't test it much though.

Fred
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
saintless


Joined: 11 Jun 2011
Posts: 3882
Location: Bulgaria

PostPosted: Fri 24 Oct 2014, 02:51    Post subject:  

Hi, Fred.
fredx181 wrote:
Quote:
I don't think it is clear enough but maybe we will think of something better till next iso update.

Yes, I also think it needs small change, we'll see later.

It needs more - separate help button as for dpkg registration. We can't explain this "remove files record" option clear for the user in one line only. Here is what I found so far:

1. Works with live-boot-3x and porteus-boot.
Doesn't work with live-boot-2x and I can't find the reason yet, but the problem is not in RemasterCow script. Using direct command after removing program:
Code:
mksquashfs /live/cow /live/image/live/03-new-test.squashfs

also does not work for live-boot-2x. The uninstalled program is still there after reboot. I guess it is the way initrd1.img was created with downgraded live-boot in Wheezy. I need to test with official Squeeze live cd to confirm. I will do it in the next days.

2. We need to place the new module inside /live and reboot. Load with sfs does not work for removed files.

3. If "remove files record" option is used we need to uncheck dpkg registration box, otherwise /var/lib/dpkg/info will still contain removed files visible (because the name inside the module will be infonew).

Anyway I think it is still good option and improvement for RemasterCow. We just need to explain proper how to use it in separate help window as dpkg registration.

Toni
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger 
saintless


Joined: 11 Jun 2011
Posts: 3882
Location: Bulgaria

PostPosted: Fri 24 Oct 2014, 03:24    Post subject:  

saintless wrote:
...Doesn't work with live-boot-2x and I can't find the reason yet, but the problem is not in RemasterCow script. Using direct command after removing program:
Code:
mksquashfs /live/cow /live/image/live/03-new-test.squashfs

also does not work for live-boot-2x. The uninstalled program is still there after reboot. I guess it is the way initrd1.img was created with downgraded live-boot in Wheezy. I need to test with official Squeeze live cd to confirm..

Quick test shows it does not work with Squeeze live cd also. Seems whiteout files is supported only for save file in Squeeze. This could explain why it does not work in live-snapshot also. Live-snapshot is compressed archive and squashfs is also compressed. Save file is uncompressed. I will test some more but I doubt I will be able to fix this issue in live-boot-2x.

Toni
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger 
fredx181


Joined: 11 Dec 2013
Posts: 2632
Location: holland

PostPosted: Fri 24 Oct 2014, 05:34    Post subject:  

Hi Toni,
Quote:
Quick test shows it does not work with Squeeze live cd also. Seems whiteout files is supported only for save file in Squeeze. This could explain why it does not work in live-snapshot also. Live-snapshot is compressed archive and squashfs is also compressed. Save file is uncompressed. I will test some more but I doubt I will be able to fix this issue in live-boot-2x.

I think it doesn't have to do with compressed or not.
It's the way of (re)mounting the module. As I changed line 332 in linuxrc:
Code:
echo "  $m  $NAME"; mount -no remount,add:1:/memory/images/$NAME=rr+wh aufs /union

Added '+wh' which makes it work with deleted files.(standard porteus-boot doesn't support whiteout files for modules also)
Also to experiment you could try change line 148 in loadmodule script (add +wh) to:
Code:
 mount -n -o remount,add:$POSITION:$CHNGS/$BUNDLE=rr+wh aufs /

Works then with removed files loading module on the fly.

Edit: I've done some digging but no testing yet, have to go out for the afternoon now.
You can try to change line 1117 in 'scripts/live' (from initrd1.img) to:

Code:
      roopt="rr+wh"


Fred
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
saintless


Joined: 11 Jun 2011
Posts: 3882
Location: Bulgaria

PostPosted: Fri 24 Oct 2014, 06:53    Post subject:  

Thanks, Fred!

And I thought all we need is to change RemasterCow to include wh. files...
fredx181 wrote:
Also to experiment you could try change line 148 in loadmodule script (add +wh) to:
Code:
 mount -n -o remount,add:$POSITION:$CHNGS/$BUNDLE=rr+wh aufs /

Works then with removed files loading module on the fly.

Do you see any possible reason not to make this default for loadmodule in the next version? I think we should make it work with wh. files on the fly.

Quote:
Edit: I've done some digging but no testing yet, have to go out for the afternoon now.
You can try to change line 1117 in 'scripts/live' (from initrd1.img) to:

Code:
         roopt="rr+wh"

Thanks, I will test it in the next hour and post the result.

Edit: No, it does not work with roopt="rr+wh"
I will experiment more with /scripts/live today.

Edit2: Sorry, Fred, it works changing to roopt="rr+wh" Smile
I just used the packing command in the wrong directory with extracted original initrd the first time.
Now I will have to repack all lb2 initrd files for all separate kernel modules for next iso update again Smile

Toni
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger 
anikin

Joined: 10 May 2012
Posts: 968

PostPosted: Fri 24 Oct 2014, 11:05    Post subject:  

Hi Toni, Fred et al,
Toni wrote:
I think the sfs files with plain text icon are something wrong in rox mime types. If you use Xfe the mounting scripts work with any type sfs/squashfs (old or new version compression). I do not think using filemnt will solve this issue in Rox but maybe I'm wrong. We have workaround for such sfs files with plain text icon and it is Right Click -> SendTo -> mnt-img
We really need someone with Rox setup experience to take a look in DebianDog setup. I added all suggestions and settings posted in the thread but I can't do more. The problem with sfs file with plain text icon was reported from William when he found ffmpeg2sfs creates sfs with plain text icon in Rox few iso updates back. But the same files with plain text icon are correctly shown and single click mounted in Xfe.
Although, not someone with experience, I did take a look, but not at DD, rather Puppy Raring-5694 setup. And saw the following: there's a directory, named "Choices" in Puppy /root home. I believe it belongs to Rox, as it contains MIME-types, among other things and this directory is missing in DD. Can this explain the mounting mystery and plain text icons of some squashfs files in jwm/rox DD? Toni, if flmnt works well for you in Xfe as it does for Fred in Thunar, can you make it The only and default tool and remove all the other variants from DD to avoid further confusion? Also, will it be it wise to not rename flmnt to mnt-img, keeping the original name as in Puppy and placing it in usr/bin? BTW, flmnt plays really nice here. Thank you, Fred for the deb.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
saintless


Joined: 11 Jun 2011
Posts: 3882
Location: Bulgaria

PostPosted: Fri 24 Oct 2014, 11:57    Post subject:  

Hi, Anikin.
anikin wrote:
Although, not someone with experience, I did take a look, but not at DD, rather Puppy Raring-5694 setup. And saw the following: there's a directory, named "Choices" in Puppy /root home. I believe it belongs to Rox, as it contains MIME-types, among other things and this directory is missing in DD. Can this explain the mounting mystery and plain text icons of some squashfs files in jwm/rox DD?

It is possible, but installing rox with apt-get does not create such directory in /root. I remeber Terry was trying to fix Rox mimetypes automatically and he had troubles. I remeber he wrote something about extra package has to be installed but the size was too much to add at the moment. All files in Rox are set by right click - Set run action. I do not want to touch Rox setup because it is very easy to break what is working now for user and root. Till someone provides step by step instruction how to setup better Rox in DebianDog without breaking what works now it stays as it is.

Quote:
Toni, if flmnt works well for you in Xfe as it does for Fred in Thunar, can you make it The only and default tool and remove all the other variants from DD to avoid further confusion?

if it works well with XFE (quick test shows it does) - yes. But I will keep the other scripts in /opt/bin/special/old. There will not be confusion since the scripts are not in PATH.
Quote:
Also, will it be it wise to not rename flmnt to mnt-img, keeping the original name as in Puppy and placing it in usr/bin?

What we can do safe without need to set manually Rox and Xfe file associations and risking to break or miss something is to have /usr/bin/filemnt with links to /opt/mnt-img or /usr/local/bin/default_fs-image.rox. I will check what is better and after testing will be added to the changes post.

Toni
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger 
fredx181


Joined: 11 Dec 2013
Posts: 2632
Location: holland

PostPosted: Fri 24 Oct 2014, 12:31    Post subject:  

Hi Toni,
Quote:
Do you see any possible reason not to make this default for loadmodule in the next version? I think we should make it work with wh. files on the fly.

I think it can't do any harm, the user can decide to include .wh files or not in module (with modified RemasterCow)

Quote:
Edit2: Sorry, Fred, it works changing to roopt="rr+wh" Smile

Haha, successful first shot Smile
Quote:
Now I will have to repack all lb2 initrd files for all separate kernel modules for next iso update again Smile

That's the consequence I'm afraid, can you add also the new initrd1.xz with systemd fix to it?

Fred
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
anikin

Joined: 10 May 2012
Posts: 968

PostPosted: Fri 24 Oct 2014, 13:21    Post subject:  

It's all old news. Choices was renamed to .config. So, technically nothing is missing, as the contents of both directories are identical. Maybe, Puppy uses an older, or patched rox version. Anyway, some useful reading for retarded Rox/JWM fans, like myself http://rox.sourceforge.net/desktop/book/export/html/163.html
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
saintless


Joined: 11 Jun 2011
Posts: 3882
Location: Bulgaria

PostPosted: Fri 24 Oct 2014, 13:59    Post subject:  

fredx181 wrote:
That's the consequence I'm afraid, can you add also the new initrd1.xz with systemd fix to it?

Sure, Fred, I will replace last linuxrc in every available porteus initrd file inside separate kernel modules in the next days.

Toni
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger 
fredx181


Joined: 11 Dec 2013
Posts: 2632
Location: holland

PostPosted: Fri 24 Oct 2014, 14:46    Post subject:  

Toni wrote:
Sure, Fred, I will replace last linuxrc in every available porteus initrd file inside separate kernel modules in the next days.

Sorry, after second thought, I was probably thinking to easy. I thought at first it was only a matter of replacing initrd1.xz into all the kernel modules archives, but there's more to it, thanks!

Fred
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
Display posts from previous:   Sort by:   
Page 254 of 283 [4236 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 252, 253, 254, 255, 256, ..., 281, 282, 283 Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Jump to:  

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group
[ Time: 0.2146s ][ Queries: 13 (0.0600s) ][ GZIP on ]