Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Wed 18 Oct 2017, 18:27
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Light-Debian-Core-Live-CD-Wheezy + Porteus-Wheezy
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 253 of 283 [4236 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 251, 252, 253, 254, 255, ..., 281, 282, 283 Next
saintless

PostPosted: Tue 21 Oct 2014, 11:10    Post subject:  

anikin wrote:
Also, do I need to rename flmnt to mnt-img and put it in /opt/bin?

Yes, this is quick and easy way to change it.
Or use Settings -> Set Default Apps (or change manually) /usr/local/bin/default_fs-image.rox to point filemnt instead /opt/bin/mnt-img
Or use right click on sfs, iso, squashfs file and use Set Run Action to change the path to filemnt.

Toni
fredx181

PostPosted: Tue 21 Oct 2014, 11:47    Post subject:  

Hi Anikin,
Quote:
Fred, your choice is "flmnt", so I had a look at it in your DD, but the lines 199 and 208 you're referring to are different. I also have another copy of this script, and the line numbers are not exactly the same as in your version. To be on the safe side, can you please, make the required mods with your firm hand and post the script here?

Sorry, didn't test filemnt on Jwm version until now. And it doesn't work, so better forget about it.
Apparently it works only on openbox version, can't figure out exactly why (probably because I copied some stuff from puppy I don't remember).

Edit: Just one very small binary was missing: 'vercmp', it's included in attached .deb.
Tested and should work now on Jwm version, maybe worth trying.
Installing will replace /opt/bin/mnt-img (is renamed filemnt to mnt-img)
Attached filemnt_1.0.0_i386.deb.tar (remove dummy .tar)

Fred
filemnt_1.0.0_i386.deb.tar
Description  filemnt (renamed to /opt/bin/mnt-img)
tar

Download 
Filename  filemnt_1.0.0_i386.deb.tar 
Filesize  7.4 KB 
Downloaded  124 Time(s) 
saintless

PostPosted: Tue 21 Oct 2014, 15:02    Post subject:  

Thank you, Fred!

I will add filemnt in Jwm version changes (as option or replacement after some testing). I see missing losetup-FULL from puppy in terminal output. Do we need it also?
Also added in changes post apt-get install gawk. It is over 2 Mb but will add final compressed size 492Kb. We will need it in case dpkg synchronize/restore scripts work as I hope in any situation.

Toni
fredx181

PostPosted: Tue 21 Oct 2014, 15:26    Post subject:  

Hi Toni,
Quote:
I will add filemnt in Jwm version changes (as option or replacement after some testing). I see missing losetup-FULL from puppy in terminal output. Do we need it also?

Only if you are sure it's improvement, this was only meant for possibly solving the problems that anikin has.
losetup-FULL is not needed I think, it's not installed in OpenBox version and never had problems using filemnt.

Quote:
Also added in changes post apt-get install gawk. It is over 2 Mb but will add final compressed size 492Kb

Yes, ok that's not much.

Fred
anikin

PostPosted: Wed 22 Oct 2014, 01:56    Post subject:  

Hi Toni, Fred,

I was going to stick with "mnt-img-openbox", but unfortunately it doesn't mount squashfs. Although, Fred is sceptical about flmnt in JWM/Rox, in my quick testing it mounts both squashfs and iso. So, flmnt be my choice.
saintless

PostPosted: Wed 22 Oct 2014, 05:02    Post subject:  

Hi Anikin, Fred...
anikin wrote:
I was going to stick with "mnt-img-openbox", but unfortunately it doesn't mount squashfs.

Strange, it does mount squashfs, sfs and iso without problem for me in Jwm version porteus-boot and live-boot. But anyway filemnt works fine with rox also. Use it instead.

Fred, I will add filemnt as optional mounter for Rox. It does not work with Xfe the same way (waits the Xfe window to close before dialog splash message appear - I've noticed nautilus in standard debian behaves as Xfe the same way testing mount-wizard). But for Rox it is better option. I also prefer auto-unmounting after closing Xfe window (I usualy forget second unmount click and get much empty mount points in time inside /media).

I'm not sure yet about adding gawk. I can add it also as dependency in extra synchronize-dpkg deb for download in case it is needed. It will not be needed often anyway. It depends how it goes with restdpkg and restore-dpkg-status scripts and combining their work. If all work OK we will decide later.

Just for example why both scrips need each other:
restdpkg - lets say we remove Sinaptic in next DebianDog version (similar thing will happen with sure with custom remaster from the user). if we use sfs made with RemasterCow and previous DebianDog version this sfs will contain synaptic in /var/lib/dpkg/statusnew and will add it inside new created status file (but synaptic is actually removed).
restore-dpkg-status - it will handle easy the situation with removed Synaptic or other packages, because it generates the status from the content inside /var/lib/dpkg/info, but... If we use save file/folder made with previous DebianDog version and it is loaded with next DebianDog version it will probably fail to add new installed programs from newer DebianDog version. This is because it needs also correct /var/lib/dpkg/available file to read (and /var/lib/dpkg/available made with previous DebianDog version does not have information for new installed programs included in newer DebianDog. We can download full wheezy packages information and rename it to available for fixing dpkg but the size is over 30Mb and I don't like this as solution.
I know it looks complicated but i think I have a solution using combination of restdpkg and restore-dpkg-status. Needs much more testing and fixing yet.

BTW can we change apt2sfs to create the same statusnew, infonew , availablenew as RemasterCow? If such synchronize dpkg utility for any possible situation work it will be nice to include apt2sfs created modules also (not only created with RemasterCow).

Edit: Just to make clear what exactly such synchronize-dpkg utility could be able to do (if we make it right) - it will make possible save file/folder/partition or sfs made with any Debiandog version to be used with proper dpkg status correction on any later or earlier or remastered from the user DebianDog version. It will not be needed to start again fresh save file with next DebianDog update.

Toni
anikin

PostPosted: Wed 22 Oct 2014, 09:00    Post subject:  

Well, guys, maybe, "mnt-img-openbox" and other scripts in Rox don't mount just some types of squashfs (gz vs xz, older versions?). I notice, that some randomly chosen files are displayed with a box icon - they're mounted. Others have a plain text icon - they can't be mounted. I'm reading the comments in "flmnt" and like it even more. It's been time tested in Puppy, can do version check and has BK's touch on it: http://bkhome.org/blog/?viewDetailed=02226
saintless

PostPosted: Wed 22 Oct 2014, 09:19    Post subject:  

Hi, Anikin.
I think the sfs files with plain text icon are something wrong in rox mime types. If you use Xfe the mounting scripts work with any type sfs/squashfs (old or new version compression). I do not think using filemnt will solve this issue in Rox but maybe I'm wrong. We have workaround for such sfs files with plain text icon and it is Right Click -> SendTo -> mnt-img
We really need someone with Rox setup experience to take a look in DebianDog setup. I added all suggestions and settings posted in the thread but I can't do more. The problem with sfs file with plain text icon was reported from William when he found ffmpeg2sfs creates sfs with plain text icon in Rox few iso updates back. But the same files with plain text icon are correctly shown and single click mounted in Xfe.

Toni
fredx181

PostPosted: Wed 22 Oct 2014, 15:44    Post subject:  

Hi Toni,
Quote:
Fred, I will add filemnt as optional mounter for Rox. It does not work with Xfe the same way (waits the Xfe window to close before dialog splash message appear - I've noticed nautilus in standard debian behaves as Xfe the same way testing mount-wizard).

Probably works ok adding a '&' after it (on line 199);
Code:
 xfe "$MntPt" &

Quote:
Just for example why both scrips need each other:
restdpkg - lets say we remove Sinaptic in next DebianDog version (similar thing will happen with sure with custom remaster from the user). if we use sfs made with RemasterCow and previous DebianDog version this sfs will contain synaptic in /var/lib/dpkg/statusnew and will add it inside new created status file (but synaptic is actually removed).
restore-dpkg-status - it will handle easy the situation with removed Synaptic or other packages, because it generates the status from the content inside /var/lib/dpkg/info, but... If we use save file/folder made with previous DebianDog version and it is loaded with next DebianDog version it will probably fail to add new installed programs from newer DebianDog version.

Oops..., that's a lot of information and ideas, to much for me to handle right now.
I'll re-read a couple of times when I'm less tired and reply later.

Fred
fredx181

PostPosted: Wed 22 Oct 2014, 16:57    Post subject:  

Hi Anikin, Toni,
Anikin wrote:
I'm reading the comments in "flmnt" and like it even more. It's been time tested in Puppy, can do version check and has BK's touch on it: http://bkhome.org/blog/?viewDetailed=02226

For completeness I thought better include all missing binaries that are possibly used:
losetup-FULL, pupdialog, pupmessage, vercmp

Attached filemnt_1.0.0_i386.deb.tar (remove dummy .tar extension)

Fred
filemnt_1.0.0_i386.deb.tar
Description  filemnt with included 'puppy' binaries (mostly for (error)messages
tar

Download 
Filename  filemnt_1.0.0_i386.deb.tar 
Filesize  22.57 KB 
Downloaded  89 Time(s) 
saintless

PostPosted: Thu 23 Oct 2014, 01:26    Post subject:  

fredx181 wrote:
HProbably works ok adding a '&' after it (on line 199);
Code:
 xfe "$MntPt" &

Thanks, Fred, works well this way. Latest filemnt added to fixes post.

Quote:
Oops..., that's a lot of information and ideas, to much for me to handle right now.
I'll re-read a couple of times when I'm less tired and reply later.

Please, wait a while till I have something proper for testing. More uncovered situations found. I will aks you for help and explain better what is needed after some more testing.

For the moment I have two questions for you:

1. apt2sfs - adding infonew, statusnew, availablenew data?
2. RemasterCow - optional check box to keep wh. files (uninstalled programs and deleted from main module files included inside changes module) - I think this option needs only using or not line 168 with wh. deleted files.

Toni
fredx181

PostPosted: Thu 23 Oct 2014, 10:43    Post subject:  

Hi Toni,
Quote:
Please, wait a while till I have something proper for testing.

I will.
Quote:
1. apt2sfs - adding infonew, statusnew, availablenew data?
2. RemasterCow - optional check box to keep wh. files (uninstalled programs and deleted from main module files included inside changes module) - I think this option needs only using or not line 168 with wh. deleted files.

Yes, remastercow will be easy, tell me if you want me to make it that way.
About apt2sfs, will be more complicated, I need to know first: you mean for ex. statusnew has the new information from the installed packages by apt2sfs + the information from standard DD (without savefile info included) and include that statusnew in the module?
Please tell me what exactly needs to be in that statusnew and I'll look at if or how it's possible.

Fred
saintless

PostPosted: Thu 23 Oct 2014, 10:57    Post subject:  

Hi, Fred!
fredx181 wrote:
Yes, remastercow will be easy, tell me if you want me to make it that way.

Yes, it will be useful option for saving all system changes. At the moment RemasterCow acts like live-snapshot for live-boot-2x (not saving deleted files and uninstalled programs). It will be improvement for RemasterCow to support as option delete and uninstall.
Quote:
About apt2sfs, will be more complicated, I need to know first: you mean for ex. statusnew has the new information from the installed packages by apt2sfs and include that statusnew in the module?

No need if it is much trouble. Anyway it will be useful only if someone decide to make remaster with apt2sfs created module and wants to update dpkg database with the programs included in this sfs module.
Having RemasterCow building modules with option for no-dpkg-registration is more than enough and really unique Smile

Edit: Otherwise what I mean for apt2sfs is to have the same nodpkg registration as RemasterCow but without checkbox. Just no-dpkg-registartion behaviour by default.
/var/lib/dpkg/info - includes only the files installed in apt2sfs created module.
status - has the information for all installed programs in the system to the moment as in RemasterCow.
available - has the information for all installed/uninstalled programs in the system to the moment as in RemasterCow.

Toni

fredx181

PostPosted: Thu 23 Oct 2014, 12:37    Post subject:  

Hi Toni,
Quote:
No need if it is much trouble.

I don't mind the trouble but I wish I could have a look in your brain Smile
Anyway, as a start here's a modified remastercow: Attached remastercow.tar.gz
Please change the text on line 36 (I'm not satisfied with it yet):
Code:
Registrate removed files (keep whiteout files)

To how you'd like it.

For some reason I can't think clearly about how you'd like to change apt2sfs.
(probably it's because the purpose of apt2sfs is only just to prevent dpkg registration)
Let me check if I understand right:
As example again the 'status' file (which should be renamed to 'statusnew' in the module created by apt2sfs?):
It should contain the packages installed (from savefile registration) + the packages installed by apt2sfs?
Hope this doesn't confuse you!

Fred
remastercow.tar.gz
Description  Remastercow with option to register deleted files/packages
gz

Download 
Filename  remastercow.tar.gz 
Filesize  3.18 KB 
Downloaded  80 Time(s) 
saintless

PostPosted: Thu 23 Oct 2014, 13:03    Post subject:  

Thank you, Fred!
I will add Remastercow to the changes list later.

About apt2sfs - sorry for not explaining better. The point is to be able to update dpkg with information what is installed inside the module created with apt2sfs. We do not need included in status, available and info folder the programs installed inside save file from the user.
From what I can read/understand inside apt2sfs script it renames the existing (from save file in use) info, status and available. Then copy info, status, avbailable from main 01-filesystem.squashfs module is done in /var/lib/dpkg
Then apt2sfs installs new programs and creates new module.
Then /var/lib/dpkg/info, status, available are removed and the once from the safe file restored in /var/lib/dpkg
Instead removing the files (with bold text) can we move them inside the workdir, rename to statusnew, availablenew, infonew and include them in squashfs module? if it can be done easy we can update dpkg database anytime later with the programs included in sfs made with apt2sfs.

Toni
Page 253 of 283 [4236 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 251, 252, 253, 254, 255, ..., 281, 282, 283 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Jump to: