Which Puppy Linux Version to use for 64 bit computer?

Booting, installing, newbie
swhomebiz

Which Puppy Linux Version to use for 64 bit computer?

#1 Post by swhomebiz »

I was referred to Puppy Linux by a friend of mine and I just took my first stab at installing it (slacko-5.7.0-PAE.iso to be exact). I am using an E-machines computer and want to see how Linux works on it. The problem is when I go to install it, I get a message that it is a 32 bit program and that my computer can only run 64 bit programs. I've seen this before when trying to run older programs. My two-part question (at last)...is there a 64 bit compatible version of Puppy Linux? and where would I find it to download?

Using Windows 7 (if that matters). Looking to have a split personality (so to speak) with Windows and Linux.

Thanks in advance!
Stephen

bigpup

#2 Post by bigpup »

The problem is when I go to install it, I get a message that it is a 32 bit program and that my computer can only run 64 bit programs
Explain in detail what you are doing to install.

Yes Slacko 5.7.0 is a 32 bit version of Linux, but it should have no problem running on your computer.

If you burn the Slacko 5.7.0 iso to a CD or a USB flash drive, as an iso image, it should boot your computer with no problem.

Maybe this info will help you.
Various ways to install puppy
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=60302
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

swhomebiz

#3 Post by swhomebiz »

What I need is a 64 bit equivalent. 32 bit programs don't run on this computer.

bigpup

#4 Post by bigpup »

Look in the Puppy Projects section of this forum for Fatdog64.
That is the 64 bit version of Puppy.

But I think your problem is trying to run some kind of install program in Windows7.
What exactly you are doing to try and install Puppy will tell us what you are doing wrong.

All my computers are 64 bit and Puppy 32bit runs fine on them.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

gcmartin

#5 Post by gcmartin »

Hello @swhomebiz

Coming from a Win7 background, you may want to entertain LightHouse64 for your computer?

Its LAN sharing feature is much newer and covers all new device protocols on your LAN with all newer devices manufactured since 2007.

It is stable and fast, as well, with utilities and built-in services for just about all that is found in Microsoft.

For matching all from Win7, use its "Mariner" edition.

Here to help

ardvark

#6 Post by ardvark »

swhomebiz wrote:What I need is a 64 bit equivalent. 32 bit programs don't run on this computer.
Hi...

You may be misunderstanding that Puppy Linux is an operating system and not merely an application. A 32 bit version of Puppy should work fine for your system if booting from a CD or a USB flash drive. :wink:

Regards...
Our Lord and Savior [url=http://peacewithgod.jesus.net/]Jesus Christ[/url] loves and cares about you most of all!

PLEASE READ! You don't have to end up [url=http://www.spiritlessons.com/Documents/BillWiese_23MinutesInHell_Text.htm]here![/url]