XMMS-1.2.10 media player (recompiled) + skins

Stuff that has yet to be sorted into a category.
Dougal

XMMS-1.2.10 media player (recompiled) + skins

#1 Post by Dougal »

(compiled on Puppy 2.10)

This is the X MultiMedia System, in case you don't know it... it plays audio files (and video, if you get the right plugins).

I recompiled it on the new filesystem.

It includes plugins for ESD and Mikmod, in case you've got them.

It installs to /usr/local, so if you have a previous version installed, you might want to remove it first.

Here it is: xmms-1.2.10-base.pup
( dotpup size: 528K extracted: 946K )

Here are some additional skins for it (all skins install to /usr/local/share/xmms/Skins):
chaos_XMMS (185k)

ColderXMMS (142k)

Gen-ver-3 (82k]

LinuxDotCom (91k)

MediaTower (320k)

nixamp2 (243k)

pclinuxos (109k)

UltraClean_Cyan (36k)

UltraClean_Green (36k)

UltraClean_Original (36k)

UltraClean_Red (36k)

UltraClean_Yellow (36k)

Ultrafina-pw (81k)

Ultrafina2000 (100k)

UltrafinaSEM (198k)

Winamp_X_XMMS_1.01 (72k)

LighthouseBlue (35k)

quiet_human-serenity-default-1.1 (83k)
What's the ugliest part of your body?
Some say your nose
Some say your toes
But I think it's your mind

WhoDo

Re: XMMS-1.2.10 media player (recompiled) + skins

#2 Post by WhoDo »

Dougal wrote:(compiled on Puppy 2.10)

This is the X MultiMedia System, in case you don't know it... it plays audio files (and video, if you get the right plugins).

I recompiled it on the new filesystem.
When you say "new filesystem" do you mean the 2.xx series of Puppy or something else?

I'm already running XMMS-1.2.10 on my 2.12 hdd installation. Is this an already recompiled version or should I update to your version? :?

Cheers

Pizzasgood

#3 Post by Pizzasgood »

I seem to have been running 1.2.10 for several months now also. The only problem I've had is that you need to disable the madplay plugin to make internet radio work. I can even use the SexyPSF plugin to listen to the actual audio files from Final Fantasy Tactics. That reminds me, I need to make some time to play that game again....

Maybe this one would run more efficiently in Puppy 2.10 since it's compiled on the same kernel?
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

Dougal

#4 Post by Dougal »

WhoDo wrote:When you say "new filesystem" do you mean the 2.xx series of Puppy or something else?
I mean the 2.1x filesystem -- the one from T2 as opposed to stolen-from-Vector...
Some say your nose
Some say your toes

WhoDo

#5 Post by WhoDo »

Dougal wrote:
WhoDo wrote:When you say "new filesystem" do you mean the 2.xx series of Puppy or something else?
I mean the 2.1x filesystem -- the one from T2 as opposed to stolen-from-Vector...
Thanks, Dougal. I have downloaded and installed your version and reloaded my favourite skin.

Cheers

Eyes-Only

#6 Post by Eyes-Only »

Thanks Pizzagood for that hint on disabling the madplay plugin! Great! Ever since I had to re-install Streamtuner/XMMS on my Puppy it wouldn't work the second time around. I kept wondering, "Now why did this work the first time but not the second?"

Just reading what you wrote I went and disabled madplay and voila!---works perfect! Thanks so much for mentioning that! I was really missing my Techno and the wife her C&W.

Amicalement,

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge"

erikkire

#7 Post by erikkire »

have trouble enabling the equalizer on XMMS before and the culprit is the madplay plugin itself. disabling the plugin will get your equalizer to work. i dont know if others had the same problem like i get.

OverDrive

#8 Post by OverDrive »

I'm having the same problem as erikkire. After I didabled libxmmsmad.so the equalizer started to work. Thanks erikkire for picking up on that :)

Dave
Instant Puppy Fan!!!

cobelloy

#9 Post by cobelloy »

hi - is there any chance of getting the mp4 plugin for xmms as a dotpup - i tried to use the debian installer to install it as a deb but it had a few dependancies and I didnt want to wreck my system...again

http://fondriest.frederic.free.fr/realisations/

thanks!!

:D

tempestuous

#10 Post by tempestuous »

EDIT December 2006 - I had earlier provided the FAAD2 AAC/MP4 plugin for MU's version of XMMS here
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 2990#52990

Now better to use faad2-2.5-base.pup plus faad2-2.5-xmms-plugin.pup from
http://dotpups.de/dotpups/Multimedia/xm ... s-plugins/

because these have the plugin files located in the correct locations for Dougal's version of XMMS.
Last edited by tempestuous on Wed 27 Dec 2006, 10:16, edited 1 time in total.

Dougal

#11 Post by Dougal »

You beat me to it, tempestuous!

I actually had the dotpup ready and didn't know if I should post it originally...

Cobelloy: Welcome back, mate, haven't seen you here recently... Let me know if the older dotpup doesn't work and I'll upload mine.
Some say your nose
Some say your toes

cobelloy

#12 Post by cobelloy »

yay!!

now my husband might stop saying "well I just click on those files and they play on my computer...

choice bro

:lol:

cobelloy

#13 Post by cobelloy »

and here is a huge xmmx/winamp skins pack I found while googling -

http://easylinuxguide.com/downloads/xmms-skins/

it is bigger than the puppy iso!!

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#14 Post by Flash »

OverDrive wrote:I'm having the same problem as erikkire. After I didabled libxmmsmad.so the equalizer started to work. Thanks erikkire for picking up on that :)
Would someone please explain exactly how to disable madplay? It starts when I click on an mp3 file and I don't know how to shut it up, except to wait for it to finish. Reminds me of a joke about a Pit Bull. It's very embarrassing.

Pizzasgood

#15 Post by Pizzasgood »

That's a different madplay. The one we're talking about is a plugin, reachable by right-clicking xmms, going to options > preferences.

The madplay you want is an app that is set as the default run-action for mp3 files. Just right-click an mp3, choose "set run action", and replace it with defaultmediaplayer "$@"

Also, to stuff a old sock down madplay's throat when you wan peace, open a terminal and type killall madplay. If that doesn't work, type ps instead, then find the entry for madplay. Take note of the number on the left (or highlight it for copy/paste), and type kill <PID-Number>
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]

Brad D

#16 Post by Brad D »

Thanks for ths, I want to use it for my default player on my MicroClient Jr.
What directory do the skins go in?

Pizzasgood

#17 Post by Pizzasgood »

/root/.xmms/Skins/

You can leave them as <skinname>.tar.gz and it will work correctly. I don't know if it works when they're extracted.

Eyes-Only

#18 Post by Eyes-Only »

Yes, they do Pizza. :) In fact, the ones I'd downloaded I thought had to be extracted. Oups! :oops: So I extracted them all and placed them in that directory and they work just fine.

Hmm... I'm not in Puppy at the moment (pardonne-moi...) but I also have another skin directory which is likewise loaded into XMMS. I believe it's "/usr/share/XMMS/skins", or somewhere around there, and it, too, contains several skins so that in the skins browser I can jump back-and-forth between the various directories choosing them.

Yet the most of mine are where yours are in "/root/.xmms/Skins/"

Just thought I'd add that about the second directory and that mine are extracted & work fine. :)

Amicalement,

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge"

peppyy

#19 Post by peppyy »

All this skin talk reminded me that I haven't installed my Puppy XMMS Skin yet.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... ppy&t=4766
I had almost forgotten about it until I happened on this thread. I am trying to get xmms to play audio cd's. Does anyone know if Xmms supports cddb?
Puppy Linux...
It just works!

donutbandit

#20 Post by donutbandit »

I am successfully using XMMS in Puppy 2.1.1, but can't get any skins or plugins to work. I tried the method described above with no success.

First, I put the SexyPSF plugin in root/.xmms/plugins as a tarball. No joy. So, I extracted the tarball inside that directory, and that doesn't work, either.

Contrary to what was posted earlier, XMMS did not install to usr/local on my machine. Can someone give me a hand with this? I am coming from Windows, where you click on an .exe, or at the most, drop a .dll into Winamp's plugin ditrectory. Thanks.