Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sat 14 Dec 2019, 07:51
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Light-Debian-Core-Live-CD-Wheezy + Porteus-Wheezy
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 235 of 283 [4236 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 233, 234, 235, 236, 237, ..., 281, 282, 283 Next
saintless

PostPosted: Wed 10 Sep 2014, 13:43    Post subject:  

We should make some backports repo with yours and William's never ending improvements, Fred Smile
fredx181 wrote:
Edit: I totally forgot btw to test with live-boot v3, it may not work.
Maybe it does , does it have symlink to /live/cow?, long time since I used it, can't remember.
From what I remember is that there was something wrong with the order of modules anyway.

With live-boot-3x /live/cow (and /live/image) locations are not static and can't be automated easy. The links depend on persistent or no persistent (and what type of persistent - save file or save partition). We have 3 scripts to run from terminal but I do not see them in OpenBox version inside /opt/bin. They worked fine creating /live/cow and /live/image with the original initrd.img, but with the patched initrd.img the link for /live/image is not correct anymore. Anyway /live/cow is correct with original and patched initrd.img.
The information is in this post:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=774457#774457
I assume using any of the boot methods will be after reading the post for each boot method. Otherwise we will answer when needed. This is the part for /live/cow:
Quote:
To use RemasterCow with live-boot3x type in terminal one of the options depending what kind of persistence or no persistence you use (all work well with official initrd.img). With the patched initrd.img /live/image may not point the right location and may need manually creating the link /live/image to /lib/live/mount/persistence/sdX instead /lib/live/mount/medium, but /live/cow is created proper and /live/cow is the important link for RemasterCow to work:
cow-nosave - creates /live/cow option (symlink) for live-boot-3x no-persistence
cow-safe-file - creates /live/cow options (symlink) for live-boot-3x with persistence save file.
cow-save-part - creates /live/cow option (symlink) for live-boot-3x with persistence partition.

You can find the scripts in Jwm version /opt/bin or in this post: direct download
Originally I needed them for installing new kernel and making new initrd files instruction.

Toni

fredx181

PostPosted: Wed 10 Sep 2014, 14:06    Post subject:  

Hi Toni,

Thanks for the info, I'll add these missing scripts also in next openbox version, forget about my edit2 in previous post.
Damn, I just always press the submit button even when I see there's new message.

Fred
fredx181

PostPosted: Fri 12 Sep 2014, 10:06    Post subject:  

Hi Toni, All,

---------------------------------------------

Edit: Should have thought about it before: to have the boot parameter exactly the same as when using systemd with live-boot, It's changed now to "init=/bin/systemd"
New revision uploaded:
https://googledrive.com/host/0ByBgCDlZZ8K5bUsxVnhCTkhoZDA/DebianDog/Extra/initrd1.xz-systemd.tar.gz

Original post but with edited parameter: "init=/bin/systemd" (was: "systemd")

Here's a more solid way to enable systemd for porteus-boot instead of what I wrote here:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=792672#792672

Only for porteus-boot method.
Enable systemd using patched initrd1.xz (kernel 3.2.0-4-486), it's here:
https://googledrive.com/host/0ByBgCDlZZ8K5bUsxVnhCTkhoZDA/DebianDog/Extra/initrd1.xz-systemd.tar.gz
by adding "init=/bin/systemd" parameter to your kernel boot line like this:

Code:
kernel /live/vmlinuz1 noauto from=/  changes=/live/changes.dat init=/bin/systemd

The steps:
In terminal:
Code:
apt-get update # if needed
apt-get install systemd

Installing also the 'systemd-sysv' package will make it permanent (by not installing it you'll be still able to use the old initscripts when not using 'init=/bin/systemd' parameter)

To enable autologin for user root, run in terminal:
Code:
# Set ExecStart to autologin as root (inittab doesn't work anymore under systemd)
EXESTART=`cat /etc/systemd/system/getty.target.wants/getty@tty1.service | grep 'ExecStart='`
EXESTARTNEW="ExecStart=-/sbin/agetty --noclear -a root %I 38400"
sed -i "s,$EXESTART,$EXESTARTNEW,g" /etc/systemd/system/getty.target.wants/getty@tty1.service

Then reboot and systemd should be enabled if you added the 'init=/bin/systemd' parameter.

More info about what's changed to make init=/bin/systemd parameter work in the ReadMe-enable-systemd inside initrd1.xz-systemd.tar.gz.

Note: Uninstalling systemd afterwards may give a problem.
If apt-get refuses to uninstall it, best thing to do then is:

Code:
apt-get install sysvinit # if it isn't already installed

Then reboot without 'init=/bin/systemd' parameter added.
Then you should be able to uninstall systemd because it's not running anymore.

Fred

Last edited by fredx181 on Sat 13 Sep 2014, 05:32; edited 1 time in total
saintless

PostPosted: Fri 12 Sep 2014, 11:01    Post subject:  

Thank you, Fred!
Uploaded here also:
http://www.smokey01.com/saintless/DebianDog/Fixes/initrd1.xz-systemd.tar.gz
I think in some point this information should go in HowTo thread. I guess you do not mean to replace initrd1.xz inside the iso with the one patched for systemd? It will be an option for separate download in case it is needed or initrd1.xz replacement suggestion?
Link to your last systemd post added here at the end of the post to find it easy when we need:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=776368#776368

Still can't find anything wrong with apt2sfs-new. Works well for me.

Toni

fredx181

PostPosted: Fri 12 Sep 2014, 11:33    Post subject:  

Hi Toni,

Quote:
Uploaded here also:
http://www.smokey01.com/saintless/DebianDog/Fixes/initrd1.xz-systemd.tar.gz
I think in some point this information should go in HowTo thread.

Thanks!
Yes, well, maybe you could add link to my post in your systemd howto section?
Btw, the commands for enabling autologin work for live-boot also, as well as the note about possible uninstall problem.

Quote:
I guess you do not mean to replace initrd1.xz inside the iso with the one patched for systemd? It will be an option for separate download in case it is needed or initrd1.xz replacement suggestion?

I don't see any harm in replacing the one inside the iso with the patched version.
If parameter 'systemd' is not added it will just work the same as before.
And even when 'systemd' is added by mistake (in case of when systemd is not installed) it will just boot normally with initscripts (only gives message about not finding systemd).
If we do replace it's good to document it as extra cheatcode in the section about porteus-boot.

Quote:
Still can't find anything wrong with apt2sfs-new. Works well for me.

Ha!, great!

Fred
anikin

PostPosted: Fri 12 Sep 2014, 12:06    Post subject:  

Hi Toni, Fred et al,

Me too have been thinking about systemd lately, and my research shows, in Debian-Live Wheezy it seems to have some rough edges.
Look here ==>
https://lists.debian.org/debian-live/2013/10/msg00028.html
and here ==>
http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=115832
and the version is still the same
Package: live-config-systemd (3.0.23-1)
https://packages.debian.org/wheezy/live-config-systemd
Not a big deal, though, just borrow it from Jessy.
Package: live-config-systemd (4.0.0-1)
https://packages.debian.org/jessie/live-config-systemd
fredx181

PostPosted: Fri 12 Sep 2014, 12:43    Post subject:  

Hi anikin,

Quote:
Package: live-config-systemd

I've been testing systemd on live-boot and porteus-boot and it worked fine without installing this package.
Do we need it and did you have any problems with or without it?

Fred
saintless

PostPosted: Fri 12 Sep 2014, 13:13    Post subject:  

Hi, Fred, Anikin, All...

fredx181 wrote:
Yes, well, maybe you could add link to my post in your systemd howto section?

Added here, Fred:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=777990#777990
I will add systemd-initrd for porteus boot for changes in the next version.
This means also repacking all separate kernel modules the same way I guess?
The post with porteus boot options we will change when next version is available for download.

Quote:
Btw, the commands for enabling autologin work for live-boot also, as well as the note about possible uninstall problem.

I prefer not to change standard debian systemd boot method with alternative methods unless there is a good reason to do it.

I still think we should leave systemd as optional package for download and install from the user. It is difficult enough for the user to choose boot method now. Adding systemd in the iso makes the boot choice more difficult. Also more difficult for us - since almost nobody gives the exact boot details when a problem is reported.

Toni

fredx181

PostPosted: Fri 12 Sep 2014, 14:14    Post subject:  

Toni wrote:
I will add systemd-initrd for porteus boot for changes in the next version.
This means also repacking all separate kernel modules the same way I guess?

Well, I'd suggest not, we can do it in the future maybe, just leave it only for kernel 3.2.0-4-486 for the time being IMHO but tell me if you'd like it different.
One of the reasons I say is that I had problems with other kernels than 3.2.0-4-486 to make transition to systemd smoothly (for example with Porteus-Wheezy kernel 3.13.6 I had to tweak a lot).
From what I tested: With the 3.2.0-4-486 kernel systemd "takes over" all the original init scripts very well.

Quote:
Quote:

I prefer not to change standard debian systemd boot method with alternative methods unless there is a good reason to do it.

It could be just given as information/option, not as a standard.

Edit: To be more clear, changing /etc/inittab for autologin (as we have now) is not standard Debian also.

Quote:

I still think we should leave systemd as optional package for download and install from the user. It is difficult enough for the user to choose boot method now. Adding systemd in the iso makes the boot choice more difficult.

Yes, I agree.

Fred
saintless

PostPosted: Fri 12 Sep 2014, 15:36    Post subject:  

Hi, Fred.
fredx181 wrote:
Well, I'd suggest not, we can do it in the future maybe, just leave it only for kernel 3.2.0-4-486 for the time being IMHO but tell me if you'd like it different.
One of the reasons I say is that I had problems with other kernels than 3.2.0-4-486 to make transition to systemd smoothly (for example with Porteus-Wheezy kernel 3.13.6 I had to tweak a lot).
From what I tested: With the 3.2.0-4-486 kernel systemd "takes over" all the original init scripts very well.

Yes, better to keep it only for 3.2.0-486 kernel then.

Quote:
Edit: To be more clear, changing /etc/inittab for autologin (as we have now) is not standard Debian also.

There is a good reason for it - we can't autologin other way without using login display manager and especially with xdm without changing inittab.
What good reason or advantage do we offer for live-boot by suggesting alternative systemd boot since the official debian method is working fine and is well documented in Debian sites and forums?

Toni
fredx181

PostPosted: Fri 12 Sep 2014, 16:20    Post subject:  

Hi Toni,
Quote:
Quote:

There is a good reason for it - we can't autologin other way without using login display manager and especially with xdm without changing inittab.
What good reason or advantage do we offer for live-boot by suggesting alternative systemd boot since the official debian method is working fine and is well documented in Debian sites and forums?

I have the feeling there's little misunderstanding: I thought you just didn't like the option for creating systemd autologin but it looks like you mean you do not like promoting systemd itself (on the other hand you made section in DD documentation about it. Question ). As you see I'm confused.

I agree that it's difficult to find answers for problems about systemd as it's not much used yet.
So, I wouldn't mind if it takes long time being the standard in Debian but I guess it will be someday and I personally like to be a bit prepared already.

Fred
anikin

PostPosted: Fri 12 Sep 2014, 16:31    Post subject:  

I have some more points and will do another post later on.
saintless

PostPosted: Fri 12 Sep 2014, 17:02    Post subject:  

fredx181 wrote:
... it looks like you mean you do not like promoting systemd itself (on the other hand you made section in DD documentation about it. Question ). As you see I'm confused.

We have misunderstanding, Fred.
I have nothing against systemd and It is great debian has such easy way to swithch to systemd.
I hope this will clarify the problem as I see it better:

Workaround for porteus-boot to use systemd - great. It did not have systemd boot option and this is the only way to make systemd work with porteus-boot. This is improvement.

Your same workaround for systemd porteus-boot to be used with live-boot - why and what is the point?
Debian has systemd boot parameter that works fine. Google is full with information for systemd boot in debian. Any problem that can appear with systemd for DebianDog already has solution somewhere in debian forums.
What is the point to suggets the same workaraound made for porteus-boot to be used with live-boot-2 and 3? If it is only because it also will work - fine. I will add it anywhere you like.
But when someone has a problem and write about booting DebianDog live-boot-2x or 3x with systemd parameter instead init=/bin/systemd you will be the only one who can answer his questions. I can't point him to google for debian problems with systemd in such case
Unless I missunderstood completely what is your suggestion for live boot and it has nothing to do with changing boot parameters for live-boot init.

Edit - sorry, Fred, rereading your posts seems you mean only the command for autologin, not changing boot parameter for live boot. My mistake.

Toni

fredx181

PostPosted: Sat 13 Sep 2014, 02:44    Post subject:  

Hi Toni Smile

Quote:
Edit - sorry, Fred, rereading your posts seems you mean only the command for autologin, not changing boot parameter for live boot. My mistake.

Thanks, Yes, that's right, I meant that only and the note about possible uninstall problem, glad that's cleared up.

Fred
fredx181

PostPosted: Sat 13 Sep 2014, 05:46    Post subject:  

Hi Toni,
Sorry for changing something again, it's initrd1.xz-systemd, I wish I thought about it before:
Just make parameter for systemd porteus-boot exactly the same as with live-boot: "init=/bin/systemd"

That's much better, don't you think?
So this way there's no difference for systemd porteus-boot or live-boot.
When installing the systemd-sysv package the parameter "init=/bin/systemd" is not needed anymore (also same with live-boot)

See edited post with new revision link here:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=798987#798987

Fred
Page 235 of 283 [4236 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 233, 234, 235, 236, 237, ..., 281, 282, 283 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Jump to: