How to rename main sfs file in my remasterd puppy

Booting, installing, newbie
gcmartin

#21 Post by gcmartin »

One other idea to offer as, combined, @Ted Dog, @RSH, @StemSee, @NIC007, @Jasper and @Shinobar go forward, individually or together, is that if Shinobar's "RemasterX" Dialogue had a single button, it could offer the use to bypass dialogue entries and immediately invoke this single step remaster taking all the guesswork out of the process. This would allow the dialogue or a similar dialogue to address the needs of those wanting a single step AND those who would desire to use the dialogue for a more controlled approach to remaster. Thus, a dialogue would address both community of users.

This is just an idea for thought, as progress movement continues. The primary and foremost,again, is a process where it reduces the support requirement of community members when a user uses the remaster subsystem. This is the underlying principal of a user-friendly utility.

Hope this is helpful

RSH

#22 Post by RSH »

One other idea to offer as, combined, @Ted Dog, @RSH, @StemSee, @NIC007, @Jasper and @Shinobar go forward, individually or together, is that if Shinobar's "RemasterX" Dialogue had a single button, it could offer the use to bypass dialogue entries and immediately invoke this single step remaster taking all the guesswork out of the process.
Something like this?

I just click on the "LazY Puppy LazY Remaster" Button and it ends presenting a message of getting the Job done and opens up the directories after quit the message.

In the GUI (image-2.jpg) I can select to use the 4 Modes of the remasterpup2 script, like: no modifications at all, editing /tmp/etc and /tmp/root, default auto-basic-modification and default auto-full-modification (will run then only on the machine used to remaster). Also there are options on how to create the ISO (which files included) and to give the ISO a Name and Label.

In image-1.jpg are more options to activate to keep automatically some dirs and files. Also there are the Options to rename the the OS.

In image-3.jpg the GUI shows buttons to open directories wherein to put symbolic Links to files either to install into the OS or to add to the ISO.

It is a RoxApp Directory and it builds the new OS without the need to use a ISO in CD drive or to mount a ISO. Just needs all the files from its ISO in its boot directory.
Attachments
image-2.jpg
(65.29 KiB) Downloaded 396 times
image-1.jpg
(68.44 KiB) Downloaded 378 times
image-3.jpg
(70.29 KiB) Downloaded 381 times
[b][url=http://lazy-puppy.weebly.com]LazY Puppy[/url][/b]
[b][url=http://rshs-dna.weebly.com]RSH's DNA[/url][/b]
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=91422][b]SARA B.[/b][/url]

stemsee

#23 Post by stemsee »

So can it be made into an sfs or pet for adding to non Lazy pupss?

Clearly you have covered so many possibilities, with comprehensive options. That's a lot of work in there. It really would be great if you did update Lazy with at least a new kernel.. I feel that it hasn't garnered the attention and appreciation it deserves. But taking the time to extol its virtues and advertise these features is of great benefit to all.

Thanks

RSH

#24 Post by RSH »

So can it be made into an sfs or pet for adding to non Lazy pupss?
I don't know this, since I'm using it in my personal development environment which contains scripts and tools that aren't existing on other's environments. Needs to be tested by someone else in a different environment.

It's a RoxApp, so no need to put it into a SFS or PET.
Clearly you have covered so many possibilities, with comprehensive options. That's a lot of work in there. It really would be great if you did update Lazy with at least a new kernel.. I feel that it hasn't garnered the attention and appreciation it deserves. But taking the time to extol its virtues and advertise these features is of great benefit to all.
:lol: Thank you, though I'm just playing around. I'm a Hacker!

And yes, I do have thoughts about doing an updated version of LazY Puppy each and every day I'm working on it - sometimes I'm dreaming of such updates...

But, unfortunately, I'm not able to do a new version of original LazY Puppy using a different/newer kernel. And I doubt I could handle the needed after-work for such project.

Though, for real, I would like to do such with the currently running version of my private LazY Puppy - in complete!

:(

gcmartin

#25 Post by gcmartin »

@RSH
When you say "ALL the files from the ISO", you do mean to have a folder containing the ISO's contents of boot materials, vmlinux, and initrd; is that correct?

In addition
RemasterX is below where I was thinking a button ADDED to this screen could call/branch to a Remaster program similar/same as @StemSee/@Nic007/etc efforts for a single pass remastering of the running system. With a button to a single pass explaining (via a hover) a bypass method, NO USER system knowledge is required/needed. In fact, no knowledge of anything except; "I just tailored this system ... now remaster it for me."
Last edited by gcmartin on Wed 06 Aug 2014, 23:20, edited 1 time in total.

RSH

#26 Post by RSH »

Generally I'm installing my Puppies into a directory, so I can boot different Puppies from one single Drive/Partition - eg. LazY Puppy is in: LazY.

These directories do contain ALL the files from the related ISO. In case of my private LazY Puppy it is those files listed:

- boot.msg
- help1.msg
- help2.msg
- help3.msg
- help4.msg
- help5.msg
- help6.msg
- initrd.gz
- isolinux.bin
- isolinux.cfg
- logo.16
- RSHsLP3_300.sfs
- RSHsLP3_Extension.sfs
- vmlinuz

so everything that's needed to build a complete new ISO.

When I'm adding Files into this directory, I can choose at option on how to build the ISO, if all SFS Files found are included into the new ISO or just the basic SFS Files - those with the RSHsLP3 Prefix.

In each and every case the one's using this Prefix will be definitely included into the new ISO.

Jasper

#27 Post by Jasper »

Hi stemsee,
Currently remastering with a much improved Unattended-Remaster script which now copies generic boot files, gets sfs name from DISTRO_SPECS, has new names for directories and copies initrd and vmlinuz from running system, auto-creates an iso if path to appropriate boot files is supplied and found, and is considerably faster and more informative.
If that extract from your own Pup thread is also of general application I would very much appreciate it if, sometime, you might publish the latest code in this thread.

Your code from page 1 of this thread is working superbly to remaster my main sfs for Precise 5.6 multi-session-live-DVD/CD and, after extensive testing, I am convinced it is accurate and reliable for my needs (and it's quick) so I hope that other Forum members will try it and report their results.

My regards

Edit:

Thank you for the offer (as below) . I'll be delighted to test.
Last edited by Jasper on Sun 10 Aug 2014, 08:59, edited 1 time in total.

stemsee

#28 Post by stemsee »

@ jasper

Ha ... ! I thought it was quick too! But now it is lightening! And autobuilds an iso with supplied files. I already have an sfs for general use ... but I am adding some DebianDog compatibility and a post-remaster-rsync function for devs to modify the working-directory on the fly. I also realised as RSH pointed out that there is unnecessary duplicate copying seeing as everything (from initrd layers) is apparent in '/'. The sfs is about 20K including boot files for iso, and the script grabs the kernel and initrd and kernel-modules from the running system and gets system.sfs name from DISTRO_SPECS. Exciting stuff for me as I am on the cutting edge of my scripting knowledge and am forced to learn rapidly new techniques. I also have a new alternative quicker, remaster script built-in which uses rsync only (not pristine, personal settings retained).

You can be the first to test it if you like!

Edit: I also want to add external remastering from a foreign OS. So that I can remaster my EmSeeV2 from DebianDog or FatDog-700a1 or Studio-1337-V2.

babaguy

Thank You All - Keep Me Updated!

#29 Post by babaguy »

This is a wonderful thread - Thanks to all who are contributing so much of their time and thinking power to this task.

I have just tried today to re-master my version of LuPu 5.25 and when it came time to burn the .iso I still had my LuPu CD in the DVD drive - I run this Pup from/in RAM only - I ejected the Puppy CD, inserted a new blank DVD and in a second or so the machine ejected the DVD and said the burn was completed and - as one of the earlier posts in this thread indicated - simply quit the "Remaster" program and didn't leave any lingering traces...

I guess - from what I'm reading, I ought to do a frugal instal onto the hard drive, and then start once again.

Just for info, the system is a Toshiba Equium with a Celeron processor replacing the two AMD Athlons that were there at manufacture - Lucid Puppy 5.25 . . .

I've been searching through various threads and posts here (haven't been around Puppy-Land in a long time !) and will continue to do so...

Again, Thanks/Danke for all the good work, and I hope a simple rer-master of one's tweaked Pup will emerge soon.

All Good Wishes !
"Real happiness lies in making others happy." - Meher Baba

Pelo

Make pupsave yours (precisesave to pelosave)

#30 Post by Pelo »

Make pupsave yours (precisesave to pelosave)
Remastered puppy : to get your pupsave different from the standard puppy, modifiy distrospecs in etc
and initrd.gz too,
Puppy will create pelosave on first shutdown (i/o precisesave) and load it at boot only if you change file distrospecs in initrd.gz
Attachments
pupsave.jpg
Geany or leafpad, here bluefish was on test.
(87.1 KiB) Downloaded 159 times