Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Wed 22 Oct 2014, 23:30
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Fatdog64 700 alpha1
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 10 of 17 [243 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, ..., 15, 16, 17 Next
mavrothal

PostPosted: Wed 20 Aug 2014, 08:12    Post subject:  

jamesbond wrote:
Do you have a reference? (I'll try to google that myself too).

I just skimmed through the looong yet entertaining thread Very Happy
The last sentence here is really all the money Evil or Very Mad

jamesbond

PostPosted: Wed 20 Aug 2014, 08:48    Post subject:  

Thanks for that. That thread clearly shows the person that Lennart is Evil or Very Mad It's a good thing that Linus doesn't listen to this crackpot. This guy is with a mission - he was advocating that a feature *should only be provided by systemd* and actively trying to remove that feature from kernel - despite that at that year, 2010, not a single distro used systemd *yet*).

Same theme with udev fiasco (by Kay Sievers, close associate of Lennart - in the thread that mavrothal links he tried to divert the attention by saying "but no desktop user do this or do that") - forcing Linus to move firmware loading to kernel-space because those guys made a bug but blamed it to everyone else Evil or Very Mad

rcrsn51

PostPosted: Wed 20 Aug 2014, 09:21    Post subject:  

Quote:
wpagui for the moment will only work for wlan0

Quote:
...disturbed by the interface, how you search and connect through Wifi?

Also, here.

There is an alternate wireless manager for Fatdog that addresses all of these issues.
Bindee

PostPosted: Thu 21 Aug 2014, 01:05    Post subject:  

jamesbond wrote:
mavrothal wrote:
jamesbond wrote:

That feature has been part of Fatdog since as early as Fatdog64 520 beta1, released June 2011 Wink

Which version of the patch? (there are several changes after the original).
The patch (for auto-cgroup) was merged in kernel 2.6.38. Thus, in 2.6.38 and subsequent kernel, you just need to enable CONFIG_SCHED_AUTOGROUP to get that feature. I'm not exactly sure which version got merged in, though.

Quote:
Was this patch finally killed by the (infamous) systemd developers? Evil or Very Mad
I see you have warm feelings toward them too Cool I'm not aware that they killed auto-cgroup, though. Do you have a reference? (I'll try to google that myself too).

EDIT: I do find this; and I'm happy that Linus didn't listen to Lennart, otherwise we're all worse.

Does this mean we have to enable it or has it been removed as per your discussion with mavrothal.

Question
eowens2

PostPosted: Thu 21 Aug 2014, 11:17    Post subject:  

eowens2 wrote
Quote:
I am getting really poor connection stability from my Atheros 9462 wireless adapter and ath9k driver, and using “iwconfig wlan0 power off” and “/usr/sbin/WIFI-Keepalive &&” only help a little.

I have purchased an Edimax USB wifi dongle which uses a Realtek RTL8188CUS adapter, and the rtl8192cu driver (already present in Fatdog64).

I have done “modprobe –rv ath9k” to disable the Atheros wireless.

After plugging in the usb wireless, rebooting and doing “lsmod” 4 of the Realtek modules are loaded, and “iwconfig” shows wlan1 as well as wlan0 present.

However the wpa_gui only recognizes wlan0 (the Atheros module) and not the wlan1 (Realtek).

How can I get wpa_gui to recognize wlan1 so I can initiate a connection using the USB wireless adapter?

jamesbond wrote
Quote:
@eowens, try this:
1. edit the file /etc/modprobe.d/ath9k.conf
2. change the content of that file to read "blacklist ath9k"
3. reboot
ath9k should be gone now and wlan0 should be pointing to your wifi dongle (you can do "ls -l /sys/class/net/wlan0/device/driver" on terminal to verify that is the case).

Thanks jamesbond.

Worked like a charm.
Gobbi

PostPosted: Fri 22 Aug 2014, 09:25    Post subject:  

I installed through Gslapt qemu 2.1 package . I checked the dependencies shown in Gslapt - all of the listed ones were installed.
Then , after reading some documentation , from the terminal I did :
qemu-system-x86_64 -cdrom raring-3.9.9.2-SCSI.iso - I've downloaded previously the iso for testing .

In the terminal I was informed twice that a library is missing : first libnss... then libvte... . After I installed them with Gslapt , qemu started the window but it was slow during the boot like when in FD 630 I was using qemu 1.5.3 without kvm. In FD 630 I was helped bu Qemu Launcher which @mikeb provided .

I have virtualisation Enabled in BIOS on this machine ...
Could somebody help please with enabling kvm ( if qemu 2.1 supports it ) Question

Another question: I understood - if I'm not wrong Question - that UML starts following initial configuration from /usr/lib64/uml/uml-init .
Is it possible , by editing it - and maybe fixing some other configuration file(s) - to be able to use a second set of mouse/keyboard and by using a second monitor attached , specially for UML - thus enabling a second virtual PC ( for light work/surfing net/testing )for another person in the house ???
Of course the physical computer should have enough resources ( CPU , RAM , GPU ) .
neerajkolte

PostPosted: Fri 22 Aug 2014, 22:19    Post subject:  

Gobbi wrote:
Is it possible , by editing it - and maybe fixing some other configuration file(s) - to be able to use a second set of mouse/keyboard and by using a second monitor attached , specially for UML - thus enabling a second virtual PC ( for light work/surfing net/testing )for another person in the house ???
Of course the physical computer should have enough resources ( CPU , RAM , GPU ) .
Hi Gobbi,
I have replied to you on Qemu Launcher thread.
It actually points you to some of my and jamesbond's posts on Fatdog 630 thread on page number 17 and 18.

I had asked this question and Jamesbond has given me solution using Sandboxing.

I don't know if it will be useful to you, but could you please take a look.

Thanks.

- Neeraj.

neerajkolte

PostPosted: Fri 22 Aug 2014, 22:49    Post subject:  

Hi everyone,
when you right click on .pet file you get an option to "convert this to new pakage format".
I have successfully converted Random Wallpaper Changer .pet to .txz, it installed well and had proper menu entry, works well too.
Then I tried to convert Threadget .pet.
As soon as I click to convert it all icons in rox window change to red triangle and no new package is created. On next boot couldn't get to gui. xwin failes to start I think. I had to use my backuped savefile. Maybe some configuration file got corrupt.
The threadget .pet only contains one script and .desktop file.
Can somebody take a look.

Thanks.

- Neeraj.

jamesbond

PostPosted: Fri 22 Aug 2014, 23:09    Post subject:  

@Bindee - Lennart tried to remove it, but Linus had enough insight to keep it instead. As a happy consequences, the autocgroup code lives on until today and it is automatically enabled for Fatdog64.

@Gobbi:
1) gslapt should pull those libs automatically. I'll try it myself later whether it does.
2) To run with KVM enabled, you use this: "qemu-system-x86_64 -enable-kvm -cdrom raring-3.9.9.2-SCSI.iso"
3) RE: "to be able to use a second set of mouse/keyboard and by using a second" - what you're looking is called "multiseat". There are many ways to achieve it, with or without virtuallisation (virtualisation buys you isolation - the second "PC" can't crash the first one). The solution without virtualisation is here: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=772243#772243. The solution with virtualisation (using virtualbox) is here: http://blog.rahady.com/2009/10/running-2-oses-with-separate-mice-and-keyboards/.

@neerajkolte: "convert this to new pakage format" has a bug , so don't use it for the moment. I have fixed it (may be it's time for alpha2) - please pass me the link to threadget, I'll try it.

neerajkolte

PostPosted: Fri 22 Aug 2014, 23:52    Post subject:  

Hi jamesbond,

This is the link to Threadget.

Gobbi

PostPosted: Sat 23 Aug 2014, 02:37    Post subject:  

Thank 's jamesbond Exclamation Very Happy

I'll try the solutions on my workstation in about a week when I'll get home .
The kvm works indeed Very Happy I tried to insert before -enable-kvm but I didn' do it right , as an option , I had attached it to the initial qemu-system-x86_64 . The iso boots really fast - however I have to add options to improve resources ( CPU cores , RAM ) for the Guest system .
Noticed that in qemu 1.5.3 , if one expands the window , the aspect ratio follows the geometry , in qemu 2.0 and qemu 2.1 it doesn't . But one can always use Ctrl+Alt+F to put in fullscreen .

Thank you too , neraajkolte for trying to help Exclamation

Last edited by Gobbi on Sat 23 Aug 2014, 03:21; edited 1 time in total
Bindee

PostPosted: Sat 23 Aug 2014, 02:41    Post subject:  

jamesbond wrote:
@Bindee - Lennart tried to remove it, but Linus had enough insight to keep it instead. As a happy consequences, the autocgroup code lives on until today and it is automatically enabled for Fatdog64.

Thanks James

When i get a chance and some free USB space i'll test 700 Alpha with the Vblank option on both the nouveau and Nvidia drivers for ripple and tearing to see if the pipeline fix is still needed.

Hopefully like Billtoo it's now fine and was just a glitch with 631.

I know your busy with a hundred trillion things on 700 alpha but when you fix the remaster option is there any chance you could add bleachbit to Gslapt for a one click cleanup before a remaster is done.

Thanks Smile
jamesbond

PostPosted: Sun 24 Aug 2014, 08:51    Post subject:  

Gobbi wrote:
Noticed that in qemu 1.5.3 , if one expands the window , the aspect ratio follows the geometry , in qemu 2.0 and qemu 2.1 it doesn't.

Qemu 2.x will default to GTK interface. Pass -sdl (or -display sdl) to go back to the old sdl interface used in Qemu 1.x.

As for bleachbit - I'm not too sure that it is useful for a frugal-install based systems, but yeah, perhaps it has its uses. I'll look into it.

Bindee

PostPosted: Sun 24 Aug 2014, 09:17    Post subject:  

jamesbond wrote:
As for bleachbit - I'm not too sure that it is useful for a frugal-install based systems, but yeah, perhaps it has its uses. I'll look into it.

http://bleachbit.sourceforge.net/features

More of a one click privacy thing rather than frugal space saving as it can remove persistent flash cookies and HTML5 DOM objects to sanitize before remastering that a user may have acquired while setting up and grabbing things online.

Thanks for looking into it.
Gobbi

PostPosted: Wed 27 Aug 2014, 10:26    Post subject:  

I wanted to hash a downloaded ISO file and I was looking for a way to do it in FD 700a1 . I couldn't find a utility to help me in that way...

Is there one inside Fatdog or in the repo , or I shall just wait for pet2txz to work in the near future ?

Now , gtkdialog window of file transfers , copies - it is difficult to add a useful progres bar to it ? Could anybody help with this feature ?
Page 10 of 17 [243 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, ..., 15, 16, 17 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Jump to: