Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sun 21 Dec 2014, 09:43
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
LxPup : a Puppy with LXDE as its desktop environment
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
Page 23 of 31 Posts_count   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, ..., 29, 30, 31 Next
Author Message
peebee


Joined: 21 Sep 2008
Posts: 1548
Location: Worcestershire, UK

PostPosted: Fri 15 Aug 2014, 17:26    Post_subject: Re: What are changes from 14.07 to 14.08  

B.K. Johnson wrote:
Hi peebee

Quote:
LxPupTahr-14.08.0.iso based on TahrPup5.8.3 with pae k3.14.11

What are changes from 14.07 to 14.08?


B.K. Johnson


Hi

Nothing really significant - the right clicks option needed a bit of a change and there's a new website for eye-candy downloads. Also Help now displays the correct pages.

Plus there's now the TahrPup flavour as well as the Slacko one.

Cheers
peebee

_________________
LxPup-14.10 = Puppy + LXDE
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message Visit_website 
Gobbi

Joined: 09 Mar 2012
Posts: 151

PostPosted: Sat 16 Aug 2014, 20:21    Post_subject:  

Hi , peebee Very Happy

I made a quick frugal install of LxQtPup . It's nice and Qt offers a smooth and pleasant enviroment .
I also gave a try to LxPup-Tahr . I like it even more ...
In LxPup-Tahr I found a missing library makes mtpaint not starting : libtiff.so.4

I stick to CompizPup because of Eiskaltdc++ Wink .
Thank's for your work Exclamation
LxPup-Tahr-14.08.jpg
Description 
jpg

 Download 
Filename  LxPup-Tahr-14.08.jpg 
Filesize  102.08 KB 
Downloaded  167 Time(s) 
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message 
peebee


Joined: 21 Sep 2008
Posts: 1548
Location: Worcestershire, UK

PostPosted: Sun 17 Aug 2014, 02:16    Post_subject:  

Gobbi wrote:
In LxPup-Tahr I found a missing library makes mtpaint not starting : libtiff.so.4


It's in the iso - see screenie - did you somehow delete it??
Screenshot_2014-08-17_071331.png
 Description   
 Filesize   100.6 KB
 Viewed   1458 Time(s)

Screenshot_2014-08-17_071331.png


_________________
LxPup-14.10 = Puppy + LXDE
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message Visit_website 
Gobbi

Joined: 09 Mar 2012
Posts: 151

PostPosted: Sun 17 Aug 2014, 06:18    Post_subject:  

peebee wrote:

It's in the iso - see screenie - did you somehow delete it??


I played again a little with LxPup-Tahr 14.08 , doing the steps I did before to see if mtpaint would start.
It is OK , it works fine but after trying various combinations of what I did last night , I found that on a fresh new start , as soon as I activate Conky - even if it is the first thing I do - mtpaint doesn't start anymore and from the terminal I get the message that mtpaint can not start due to missing library libtiff.so.4
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message 
peebee


Joined: 21 Sep 2008
Posts: 1548
Location: Worcestershire, UK

PostPosted: Sun 17 Aug 2014, 08:01    Post_subject:  

Gobbi wrote:
peebee wrote:

It's in the iso - see screenie - did you somehow delete it??


I played again a little with LxPup-Tahr 14.08 , doing the steps I did before to see if mtpaint would start.
It is OK , it works fine but after trying various combinations of what I did last night , I found that on a fresh new start , as soon as I activate Conky - even if it is the first thing I do - mtpaint doesn't start anymore and from the terminal I get the message that mtpaint can not start due to missing library libtiff.so.4


Many thanks - I need to fix the conky pet.....it must be overwriting the link with a non-existent one I suspect....

_________________
LxPup-14.10 = Puppy + LXDE
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message Visit_website 
simes

Joined: 29 Sep 2007
Posts: 45
Location: Cheshire, UK

PostPosted: Wed 20 Aug 2014, 09:54    Post_subject: New LXPups  

I can report that I have installed the new LXPupTahr and the LXQTPup. Both installed very easily as frugal installs and ran without problems although I haven't tried every function. I like the LXQT interface and need to spend some more time making myself familiar with it. I like LXDE generally and variations (inc. Compiz) used on top of the Puppy platform and think they should be the first choice of desktop really; less old-fashioned than JWM but still lightweight. Incidentally, this has been my first contact with the Pale Moon browser - very fast, another good choice! Thanks peebee.

EDIT (after booting the Tahr version a few times); Puppy does not recognise my RT61 wireless card on second and later boots. On the first boot it did recognise it and I configured wireless without problems, did some other work, later created a save file and shut down. On all subsequent boots Puppy has not detected the RT61 card and I've had to load the driver manually. Not a big issue for me but off-putting for newcomers, I'd imagine. 2ND EDIT: Peebee, not to worry; this problem went away after I switched to using Barry's network manager instead of SNS. Might be limited to my machine.

I have now spent some more time with your LXQTpup and I think this is very promising. However, I did find the problems you listed in your post #2 about LXQT. These problems (e.g. no single click to open, no open-with) are quite frustrating and my impression is that they are in LXQT itself at its current state of development, not in your Puppy implementation. I'm inclined myself to keep watch on LXQT as a desktop for the near future but it looks not quite ready for serious use on Puppy today.
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message 
peebee


Joined: 21 Sep 2008
Posts: 1548
Location: Worcestershire, UK

PostPosted: Fri 22 Aug 2014, 11:48    Post_subject: 14.08.01 versions  

14.08.01 versions of LxPup, LxPupTahr and CompizPup now available from:

lx-pup.weebly.com

and

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=794975#794975

- Various updates to components, and to the build system
- problem on LxPupTahr with Conky messing with mtpaint fixed
- ASRI's gui for icon-switcher included
- openssl 1.0.1i included in LxPup
- latest lxpanel0.6.2 in CompizPup (lxpanel0.7.0 just released so coming soon)

_________________
LxPup-14.10 = Puppy + LXDE
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message Visit_website 
simes

Joined: 29 Sep 2007
Posts: 45
Location: Cheshire, UK

PostPosted: Tue 26 Aug 2014, 04:16    Post_subject: PDF viewers  

In a spirit of helpfulness, I hope, can I report that the PDF viewers are not working in LXPupTahr 14.08. Evince reports that application type pdf is unsupported (!) and Zathura crashes when opening any pdf document. If I ought to be testing 14.08.1 instead now, please say and I'll happily install it.

[EDIT] Have also found that mtpaint does not start (as reported further up the chain), but I am not using Conky.
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message 
peebee


Joined: 21 Sep 2008
Posts: 1548
Location: Worcestershire, UK

PostPosted: Tue 26 Aug 2014, 08:33    Post_subject: Re: PDF viewers  

simes wrote:
In a spirit of helpfulness, I hope, can I report that the PDF viewers are not working in LXPupTahr 14.08. Evince reports that application type pdf is unsupported (!) and Zathura crashes when opening any pdf document. If I ought to be testing 14.08.1 instead now, please say and I'll happily install it.

[EDIT] Have also found that mtpaint does not start (as reported further up the chain), but I am not using Conky.


Thanks for the report - would it be possible for you to test whether the problems you are seeing exist on Puppy Tahr 5.8.3 or whether the changes to get to LxPupTahr14.08 have introduced them?

Thanks
peebee

_________________
LxPup-14.10 = Puppy + LXDE
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message Visit_website 
simes

Joined: 29 Sep 2007
Posts: 45
Location: Cheshire, UK

PostPosted: Tue 26 Aug 2014, 10:44    Post_subject: Re: PDF viewers  

peebee wrote:
simes wrote:
In a spirit of helpfulness, I hope, can I report that the PDF viewers are not working in LXPupTahr 14.08. Evince reports that application type pdf is unsupported (!) and Zathura crashes when opening any pdf document. If I ought to be testing 14.08.1 instead now, please say and I'll happily install it.

[EDIT] Have also found that mtpaint does not start (as reported further up the chain), but I am not using Conky.


Thanks for the report - would it be possible for you to test whether the problems you are seeing exist on Puppy Tahr 5.8.3 or whether the changes to get to LxPupTahr14.08 have introduced them?

Thanks
peebee


Hello peebee,
Good question. I've just created a new Tahrpup 5.8.3 frugal install with no modifications to test this. Sorry to say, the pdf viewers and mtpaint all work so the problem does seem to be introduced by the changes to make LXpup. I was using LXpup 14.08, not 14.08.1. I can try 14.08.1 if it would help you.

Regards,
simes.
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message 
peebee


Joined: 21 Sep 2008
Posts: 1548
Location: Worcestershire, UK

PostPosted: Wed 27 Aug 2014, 02:20    Post_subject: Re: PDF viewers  

simes wrote:
In a spirit of helpfulness, I hope, can I report that the PDF viewers are not working in LXPupTahr 14.08. Evince reports that application type pdf is unsupported (!) and Zathura crashes when opening any pdf document. If I ought to be testing 14.08.1 instead now, please say and I'll happily install it.

[EDIT] Have also found that mtpaint does not start (as reported further up the chain), but I am not using Conky.


Hi Simes

Thanks for testing with Puppy Tahr.

In my testing on LxPupTahr, evince, zathura and mtpaint all run OK - the problem lies in the mime associations to associate a file with an application.

I don't know why LxPupTahr with evince and zathura behaves differently to LxPup (Slacko flavour) with epdfviewer (although I have noticed that a utility called update-mime-database is present on LxPup and missing on LxPupTahr).

The associations you require can be established in pcmanfm by right clicking on a pdf file and choosing open-with and then selecting evince and ticking use this application as default.

Or you can open the files via rox-filer.....

Similarly for various graphic file types and mtpaint. The problem here is that the mtpaint .desktop file has a different name in TahrPuppy from Slacko.

There are 2 .desktop files for zathura and the one in the menu calls zathura_gui.desktop which opens a file chooser rather than the pdf directly. If you want to have zathura open as default you will need to edit the zathura.desktop file so that a menu entry appears which can be chosen - basically copy the missing lines from the zakura_gui.desktop.

I'll see if I can implement a fix for the next version.

Hope this helps
Cheers
peebee

_________________
LxPup-14.10 = Puppy + LXDE
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message Visit_website 
zagreb999

Joined: 11 Apr 2014
Posts: 33
Location: Yugoslavija

PostPosted: Thu 28 Aug 2014, 07:32    Post_subject: lxpup-thar
Sub_title: smplayer,smtube
 

To Mr. Peebee!

Thanks very much!

Your Lxpup-thar is very, very good!
I made remaster with XFCE.
Great!
-----
But: Smtube and Smplayer can not
open Youtube....
Smtube can not record...

Regards.
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message 
peebee


Joined: 21 Sep 2008
Posts: 1548
Location: Worcestershire, UK

PostPosted: Thu 28 Aug 2014, 10:44    Post_subject: LxPup fix pet  

Here is a small fix pet to tackle the problems simes has identified with mime associations.

Do not load this pet if you have already made changes to mime associations - either by using Open-With or by loading the Right-Clicks option.

The pet adds the associations for evince and zathura to open pdf files and makes evince the default application.

It also renames the mtpaint-image-editor.desktop file to make it consistent with Slacko.

Whilst testing I've also found that LxTerminal does not work on LxPupTahr14.08 so further fix to come.

Cheers
peebee
lxtahr_fix-02.pet
Description 
pet

 Download 
Filename  lxtahr_fix-02.pet 
Filesize  1.07 KB 
Downloaded  73 Time(s) 

_________________
LxPup-14.10 = Puppy + LXDE
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message Visit_website 
simes

Joined: 29 Sep 2007
Posts: 45
Location: Cheshire, UK

PostPosted: Thu 28 Aug 2014, 16:47    Post_subject: Re: LxPup fix pet  

peebee wrote:
Here is a small fix pet to tackle the problems simes has identified with mime associations.

Do not load this pet if you have already made changes to mime associations - either by using Open-With or by loading the Right-Clicks option.

The pet adds the associations for evince and zathura to open pdf files and makes evince the default application.

It also renames the mtpaint-image-editor.desktop file to make it consistent with Slacko.

Whilst testing I've also found that LxTerminal does not work on LxPupTahr14.08 so further fix to come.

Cheers
peebee


Hello peebee,
Thank you for responding to my observations. I was about to try making the changes to mime associations that you described, but then saw your PET above, so I have installed that instead. However - and I fear I'm not helping you as much as I would like to, here - the PET did not change any behaviour on my system. MTPaint won't,start, Evince won't open any PDF and Zathura crashes when the 'Open PDF' button is clicked. Also - and not a problem - LX Terminal DOES work for me, both before and after installing the PET. It's clear that my installation and yours are behaving differently. Mine is a frugal install using the new save-to-folder option. Would you like me to try a different install?
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message 
peebee


Joined: 21 Sep 2008
Posts: 1548
Location: Worcestershire, UK

PostPosted: Thu 28 Aug 2014, 18:09    Post_subject: Re: LxPup fix pet  

simes wrote:
..... It's clear that my installation and yours are behaving differently. Mine is a frugal install using the new save-to-folder option. Would you like me to try a different install?


I'm testing on LxPupTahr14.08.01 manual frugal install.....but in a difference to you either without a savefile or with a traditional 2fs savefile (its an ntfs formatted partition). I will test again with the new savefolder.

Could you download 14.08.01 and verify the md5 is correct and test on that please?

evince, zathura and mtpaint are all running correctly in my tests....

Can you run them all in a terminal and pm me any diagnostic messages produced?

Thanks

_________________
LxPup-14.10 = Puppy + LXDE
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message Visit_website 
Display_posts:   Sort by:   
Page 23 of 31 Posts_count   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, ..., 29, 30, 31 Next
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Jump to:  

Rules_post_cannot
Rules_reply_cannot
Rules_edit_cannot
Rules_delete_cannot
Rules_vote_cannot
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group
[ Time: 0.1078s ][ Queries: 13 (0.0135s) ][ GZIP on ]