Frisbee Notifications

Configuration wizards, scanners, remote desktop, etc.
Jody Thornton

Frisbee Notifications

#1 Post by Jody Thornton »

When I automatically connect to my WiFi LAN on startup using Frisbee, The blue puppy appears with a status update on the connection progress. I would prefer that it work silently. I edited frisbee.conf so that the following line appeared.

announce_state_changes=0

It was "1" previously. But upon restart, the puppy dog still appears. Is there any to tell him to sit quietly? (Good Dog) :)
Cheers,
[b]Jody Thornton[/b]
(Richmond Hill, Ontario)

rerwin

#2 Post by rerwin »

Jody,
You are thinking like a programmer instead of as a user. You turn off that notification by going into frisbee and unchecking the option, "Announce State Changes". Having made your change inside of frisbee's "business", you will see the option as already not checked. That is all that the change you made affects.

When the state of that option is changed, frisbee does what it takes to make it happen. So, check the box and then uncheck it. Restart DHCP to test for the notifications to stop.

I intentionally made the frisbee I inherited more user friendly so that people would not need to mess with its innards. But thanks for raising the issue.
Richard

Jody Thornton

#3 Post by Jody Thornton »

Hi Richard:

I am in Frisbee, as we speak, and no where do I find a check box option for "Announce State Changes". I reset DHCP and the puppy notifications still appear.

I really appreciate your assistance though.
:)
Cheers,
[b]Jody Thornton[/b]
(Richmond Hill, Ontario)

Scooby

#4 Post by Scooby »

What version of frisbee are you using?
Which puppy are you on?

check image below, by the mousepointer is the checkbox for turning off
notifications

OBS! if you do it manually you should change in /etc/frisbee/frisbee.conf
the value of announce_state_changes accordingly

to do it manually

Code: Select all

rm -f /etc/dhcpcd_state_notify
turn it on

touch /etc/dhcpcd_state_notify

Jody Thornton

#5 Post by Jody Thornton »

I have tried both 0.9x, v1 and v2.x Betas of Frisbee. None of them show the state changes check box. I searched for a v3.0 PET for Frisbee, but no luck.

As for Puppy, I am running Precise v5.7.1.
Cheers,
[b]Jody Thornton[/b]
(Richmond Hill, Ontario)

rerwin

#6 Post by rerwin »

Jody,
[EDIT: Flippant comment removed (by me, rerwin) to avoid unintended offense.] Precise Pup 5.7.1, Slacko-5.7.0 and Lucid Pup 5.2.8.6 already contain the "official" 1.1 version of frisbee or 1.2, which have the "Announce State Changes" checkbox at the bottom of the window you see when you start it.

Installation of any of the old "betas" will corrupt the official frisbee probably beyond repair. Uninstalling the betas is insufficient. So please start fresh with one of the above puppies and do not install any Frisbee beta.
Richard

EDIT: My warnings against use of Frisbee betas have been posted several times, but somewhat long ago, now, probably around the time of Precise 5.6 and later.
Last edited by rerwin on Sat 16 Aug 2014, 15:38, edited 2 times in total.

cimarron

#7 Post by cimarron »

I noticed that Frisbee's notifications seem to be handled by /lib/dhcpcd/dhcpcd-hooks/99-notify . I edited that file to change the appearance of the notifications. Would deleting it disable all notifications?

Of course a fresh system would be better, but maybe there's a reason Jody doesn't want to start completely from scratch...

Jody Thornton

#8 Post by Jody Thornton »

rerwin wrote:Jody,
Why do you keep digging yourself deeper into the "hole" you have created? Precise Pup 5.7.1, Slacko-5.7.0 and Lucid Pup 5.2.8.6 already contain the "official" 1.1 version of frisbee or 1.2, which have the "Announce State Changes" checkbox at the bottom of the window you see when you start it.

Installation of any of the old "betas" will corrupt the official frisbee probably beyond repair. Uninstalling the betas is insufficient. So please start fresh with one of the above puppies and do not install any Frisbee beta.
Richard
I wasn't trying to dig myself into a hole Richard. I looked in the Puppy package manager to find Frisbee, and it was not there. So naturally I looked around on the forum. Your information is the first citing that Frisbee was integrated with Precise.

And no, I'm not going to completely reinstall Puppy to fix something small like Frisbee. The information you gave me just now should be easier to find so users don't do this in the first place.
Cheers,
[b]Jody Thornton[/b]
(Richmond Hill, Ontario)

Jody Thornton

#9 Post by Jody Thornton »

cimarron wrote:I noticed that Frisbee's notifications seem to be handled by /lib/dhcpcd/dhcpcd-hooks/99-notify . I edited that file to change the appearance of the notifications. Would deleting it disable all notifications?

Of course a fresh system would be better, but maybe there's a reason Jody doesn't want to start completely from scratch...
Thank you Cimarron. You've demonstrated that it doesn't take a lot to try and be accommodating had helpful

And had Richard wanted to be helpful as opposed to condescending (look at the first sentence of his reply), he could have mentioned the perils of installing Frisbee betas days ago who he posted on this thread. Why wait until now to criticize me for digging this hole I've created for myself.
Cheers,
[b]Jody Thornton[/b]
(Richmond Hill, Ontario)

rerwin

#10 Post by rerwin »

cimarron wrote:I noticed that Frisbee's notifications seem to be handled by /lib/dhcpcd/dhcpcd-hooks/99-notify . I edited that file to change the appearance of the notifications. Would deleting it disable all notifications?
That hook script corresponds to the frisbee-1.x released versions of frisbee. The "betas" instead use 5 "99-" hook script files that combine functions for Frisbee's network icon and the notifications. Deleting them would impact Frisbee's network_tray icon but would be necessary to stop the notices. Here's an example, 99-down:

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/lib:/usr/lib:/usr/X11R7/lib:/root/my-applications/lib:/opt/samba/lib
export DISPLAY=:0

if [[ $reason == "NOCARRIER"   ]] ; then
	if [[ $interface == `cat /usr/local/Frisbee/interface` ]] ; then
		killall -SIGALRM frisbee_tray
	else
		killall -SIGUSR2 frisbee_tray
	fi
	rm /usr/local/Frisbee/iface/$interface
	gtkdialog-splash -placement -timeout 6 top -bg hotpink -text "$interface is Down" 
fi
The "official" implementation separates the scripts into 99-notify and 99-network_tray, which work differently from and incompatibly with the beta hook scripts.

The solution, then, for the beta situation would be to comment out (#) the "gtkdialog-splash" statements in the 5 99-ers (down, ifup, release, timeout, up).
R

Jody Thornton

#11 Post by Jody Thornton »

I fixed it way easier than all that.

I reinstalled Frisbee 1.0-0.912 that I initially downloaded. It works but with all of the large ballon-style notifications. Then I search the Puppy Package Manager, and found Frisbee 1.1 Modified. I could now install it because v0.912 puts in the network tray dependency.

It now works with either small-fonts notifications, or without notifications by editing Frisbee.conf and disabling state change announcements. There was never a check box, however it works as I desire now, so I could care less.

Thank you all
Cheers,
[b]Jody Thornton[/b]
(Richmond Hill, Ontario)

Scooby

#12 Post by Scooby »

Jody Thornton wrote:I could care less
yeah you yourself could care less
but what about the rest of the community,

should we also care less about
your future problems?

Jody Thornton

#13 Post by Jody Thornton »

Scooby wrote:

your future problems?
I meant I could care less about the box missing; not about the community's welfare. Holy crap!

If you're going to go there, many times I've asked questions of the Linux community (ie. how do you defrag?) and they just ask me, "Why do you want to defrag"? They never tell you how, even though there is a way. And even in this thread, I was confronted with statements from Richard asking me "why I kept digging myself into a hole", and other derogatory crap. Meanwhile he omiited a details in an earlier post that may have prevented that.

So don't come off all sanctimonious with me about how I'm withholding from the community welfare. It goes both ways. If one doesn't feel accommodated, why should they accommodate back? When one feels either a tone of hostility or disapproval, it becomes best just to get the info you need and then go about your own business (which is sad because generally I don't think that way; I'm QUITE a giving person. You don't know me so you're not fit to say.)

Just for the record, there are people who are very helpful here, and I greatly appreciate that.
Cheers,
[b]Jody Thornton[/b]
(Richmond Hill, Ontario)

Lil_humpers

#14 Post by Lil_humpers »

Jody Thornton wrote:
Scooby wrote:

your future problems?
Folks, "I could care less" means that you still care and "I COULDN'T care less" means you don't have a care.

Pelo

Frisbee

#15 Post by Pelo »

Rerwin, don't let anybody modify the distros with Frisbee Notifications.
PolarQT-005 and Triton (french Precise 5.7.1) have icons which appears ant that is perfect. And funny. Programmers don't like fun, but users do. :twisted:
Each one will do what he likes at home.
Personnaly, I add and icon (Tux) to see better the notification. At home
français, here, connexion sans fil
Attachments
tux.jpg
My green Tux likes snowpup in winter season. Don't kill him !
(53.49 KiB) Downloaded 163 times
Last edited by Pelo on Sat 12 Mar 2016, 23:49, edited 1 time in total.

Pelo

Frisbee with Triton (French Precise 5.4) tux is added

#16 Post by Pelo »

notifications can be nice ! Petihar like the tux and add it to its Puppy Linux Triton, a nice one.
Last edited by Pelo on Sat 12 Mar 2016, 23:51, edited 1 time in total.

hamoudoudou

Programmers are not funny

#17 Post by hamoudoudou »

Programmers are not funny. Users like useless stuff.

Pelo

frisbee notifications : i like it, with a tux...

#18 Post by Pelo »

frisbee notifications : i like it, i will put my own tux (snowpup the XXth running)
Attachments
Down.jpg
It's fun, isn'it ?
(47.28 KiB) Downloaded 79 times
Last edited by Pelo on Sun 13 Mar 2016, 01:08, edited 4 times in total.

Rattlehead

#19 Post by Rattlehead »

I asked the forum once about this same issue:

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=100825

The short version: delete the file /etc/frisbee/.notify_mode and the connection messages will stop popping up (tested in Slacko 55).