How to setup filesharing with Windows?

Larrie

How to setup filesharing with Windows?

#1 Post by Larrie »

I am a relative Linux novice, though I am an advanced Windows user. I set up Precise Puppy on a partition on a Windows XP laptop and it seems to run fine. Connected easily to the internet wirelessly. However, I can't seem to set up file sharing. pnethood finds my Win7 desktop with no difficulty but keeps reporting "no shares" .

Log saays
"scanning network
scan completed: 192.168.0.0/16
servers found=MYDESKTOP

started probing MYDESKTOP
MYDESKTOP still reports no shares, checking mount in case there are shares mounted already
Trying to contact MYDESKTOP, no shares reported
finished probing"

I have created shared folders on MYDESKTOP which are visible to the Windows XP partition.

The Win 7 machine sees the laptop in XP mode but not when running Precise Puppy.

I'm sure I'm missing something simple.

don570

#2 Post by don570 »

Reading the Samba-tng page
This is when the puppy computer is the server. Not sure if
it's relevant when Windows is the server??

On a Windows client, create a shortcut on the desktop and make
the location \\pupserver. Note that this name starts with two back-slashes.

rcrsn51

#3 Post by rcrsn51 »

If your Win7 machine requires authentication (login with a password) it may not advertise its shares to the network.

From the Network menu, run YASSM Samba Share Login.

Larrie

#4 Post by Larrie »

Thanks for both replies.

rcrsn51: your earlier "How to Use Samba-TNG Server in Puppy" was very helpful. Customizing my firewall fixed half the problem. I can now see Puppy Server and PuppyShares sometimes in my Win7 machine. When I map drive P: to \\puppyserver\puppyshare I can create a folder and copy files in both directions. I setup Samba to autostart, but the Win&7 machine does not reliably connect. It "sees" \\puppyserver but sometines its clickable and sometimes I have to go into "Map a Network Drive." But at least there is connectivity. However, the Linux machine doesn't see Win 7 and yes Win7 machine does need username and password which I enter into Pnethood. That's a problem for another day since I can transfer files both ways.

Moose On The Loose

#5 Post by Moose On The Loose »

Larrie wrote:Thanks for both replies.

rcrsn51: your earlier "How to Use Samba-TNG Server in Puppy" was very helpful. Customizing my firewall fixed half the problem. I can now see Puppy Server and PuppyShares sometimes in my Win7 machine. When I map drive P: to \\puppyserver\puppyshare I can create a folder and copy files in both directions. I setup Samba to autostart, but the Win&7 machine does not reliably connect. It "sees" \\puppyserver but sometines its clickable and sometimes I have to go into "Map a Network Drive." But at least there is connectivity. However, the Linux machine doesn't see Win 7 and yes Win7 machine does need username and password which I enter into Pnethood. That's a problem for another day since I can transfer files both ways.
There are some registry settings your have to do on Win-7 if you want it to do SMB/NMB and network neighborhood correctly. I found them with google but didn't save a copy (stupid me). IIRC, it was a ubuntu forum that I found it in. After the changes, Win-7 sees my Puppy-528 and Puppy-528 sees the Win-7 very reliably.

It also appears that the home networking wizard that comes with Win-7 is designed to frustrate any effort to have anything but a collection of Win-7 machines. It didn't even like the XP machine.

gcmartin

Be able to create & share content on the network is crucial

#6 Post by gcmartin »

I don't have Precise running anymore, but, before going off for illness, the author,@Pemasu, created a SAMBA V4 (this is not TNG, this is SAMBA) pet in his Repo. That PET replaces the older built-in SAMBA client "PERFECTLY"! All my Wins are seen proper. And, all Wins can "see" Precise, perfectly without any changes to Wins. (my current 32bit PUPs are PhatSlacko which has everything for sharing built-in properly.)

Hope this helps