Light-Debian-Core-Live-CD-Wheezy + Porteus-Wheezy

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
saintless

#3421 Post by saintless »

Continue from here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 795#794795

OK, Tm_mT, here we go... I hope I do not have critical typo that can break everything :)
Boot as usual with porteus-boot (initrd63.xz).
Add initrd61.img inside /live boot folder (if it is not there yet).
Download and extract this archive in /opt/bin (this is the easiest way to create encrypted save file for live-boot-3x with persistence.conf file inside and content /union for full persistence - all is automated).
http://www.smokey01.com/saintless/Debia ... -crypt.zip
Type in terminal mk-save-crypt and follow the instructions to create encrypted save file. Choose small size for the test and persistence as name for the save file and location sda2. (You should have /sda2/persistence save file at the end).

Boot DebianDog with this boot code in menu.lst:

Code: Select all

title DebianDog live-boot-3x No-Copy-to-RAM persistence encrypted on /sda2
 uuid afca251b-50da-4e0a-87e7-cabd2e8ee8ce
 kernel /live/vmlinuz6 boot=live config swapon noeject quickreboot autologin rw-basemount persistence persistence-encryption=none,luks
 initrd /live/initrd61.img
Is the encrypted save password prompt working?

If yes - stop here. If no - continue further.

Boot DebianDog with this boot code (no persistence). We do not need save file to keep the changes - new rebuilded initrd.img with included components from firmware-linux-nonfree is all we need for this test):

title DebianDog live-boot-3x No-Copy-to-RAM no-persistence
 kernel /live/vmlinuz6 boot=live config swapon noeject quickreboot autologin rw-basemount
Copy vmlinuz6 (the path should be something like /lib/live/mount/medium/live/vmlinuz6 or /lib/live/mount/persistence/sda2/live/vmlinuz6) in /boot and rename it to vmlinuz-3.14-0.bpo.1-686-pae

Install firmware-linux-nonfree:

apt-get install firmware-linux-nonfree
Ignore the error message about missing initrd-... in /boot
Open terminal and type:

cd /boot
mkinitramfs -o initrd.img-3.14-0.bpo.1-686-pae 3.14-0.bpo.1-686-pae
Wait the process to finish (it may take few minutes).
Now you have new rebuilded with firmware linux included initrd.img-3.14-0.bpo.1-686-pae
But we need to patch it first in order to be able to use save file on the boot partition.
Copy /boot/initrd.img-3.14-0.bpo.1-686-pae in /opt/bin/special/patch-live-initrd/ and rename it to initrd.img
Type in terminal:

/opt/bin/special/patch-live-initrd/patch-initrd
Choose initrd.img as name to patch and confirm the patch questions.
New /opt/bin/special/patch-live-initrd/initrd-custom.img will be created.

Rename initrd61.img to initrd61.img-old and move /opt/bin/special/patch-live-initrd/initrd-custom.img in /live and rename it to initrd61.img
Now boot the computer again with the encrypted persistence boot code:

title DebianDog live-boot-3x No-Copy-to-RAM persistence encrypted on /sda2
 kernel /live/vmlinuz6 boot=live config swapon noeject quickreboot autologin rw-basemount persistence persistence-encryption=none,luks
Is the persistence password prompt freezes again? If it does I have no more ideas and firmware-linux-nonfree is not a solution for the problem you have.
If it works I will try to make initrd63.img with the changes from your new builded initrd61.img and hopefuly it will work for porteus boot as well.

Toni

Tm_mT

#3422 Post by Tm_mT »

saintless wrote:Type in terminal:

/opt/bin/special/patch-live-initrd/patch-initrd
Choose initrd.img as name to patch and confirm the patch questions.

root@debian:/boot# /opt/bin/special/patch-live-initrd/patch-initrd
Extract initrd? (y/n)
y
A copy of the original initrd to patch should exist in this directory.
Detected initrd files:
initrd.img-3.14-0.bpo.1-686-pae

Please enter the name of the initrd to extract:
initrd.img

File not found
In /opt/bin/special/patch-live-initrd there are the following files:
initrd.img
patch-initrd
readme.txt

an error in the patch-initrd perhaps?

Tm_mT

#3423 Post by Tm_mT »

BTW. No rush, I will not be able to do more this evening and will check again tomorrow or the weekend (have a lot more time then)

Thanks !

saintless

#3424 Post by saintless »

Test when you have time, Tm_mT, no hurry.
Tm_mT wrote:

root@debian:/boot# /opt/bin/special/patch-live-initrd/patch-initrd
Extract initrd? (y/n)
y
A copy of the original initrd to patch should exist in this directory.
Detected initrd files:

Please enter the name of the initrd to extract:
initrd.img

File not found
In /opt/bin/special/patch-live-initrd there are the following files:
initrd.img
patch-initrd
readme.txt

an error in the patch-initrd perhaps?
If you did this:
Copy /boot/initrd.img-3.14-0.bpo.1-686-pae in /opt/bin/special/patch-live-initrd/ and rename it to initrd.img
you should not have initrd.img-3.14-0.bpo.1-686-pae anymore.
"file not found" seems to me there is no initrd.img available in /opt/bin/special/patch-live-initrd. And it is not detected also.
Maybe you made copy instead renaming and initrd.img is broken or it is not there? Is it the same size like initrd.img-3.14-0.bpo.1-686-pae?
Anyway try typing initrd.img-3.14-0.bpo.1-686-pae instead initrd.img then. It is there reading the detected output:

Detected initrd files:
Toni

fredx181

#3425 Post by fredx181 »

Hi Toni,
Very simple concept of sfs-get script using yad.
Test it whenever you like, don't want to spoil your vacation :)
I took the liberty to use your google drive address in the script but could be translated to use smokey.com of course.
It depends on the presence of file "sfs.txt" in your google drive shared folder DebianDog-Wheezy/Extra-Modules.
Contents of "sfs.txt" should be list of available modules at this moment:

08-googleearth-debdog.squashfs
022-abiword.squashfs
030-gnumeric.squashfs
035-seamonkey-2.0.11.squashfs
051-smo-freeoffice.squashfs
064-cups.squashfs
ffmpeg-static-0.9.4.squashfs
The nice thing I think is that as long this file is updated corresponding to what's inside DebianDog-Wheezy/Extra-Modules it should always work (even with new DebianDog release).
The script:

#!/bin/bash
[ "`whoami`" != "root" ] && exec gsu ${0}

[ -f /tmp/sfs.txt ] && rm -f /tmp/sfs.txt

# Download sfs.txt to /tmp to read list of available modules further by the script.
# It assumes "sfs.txt" is in DebianDog-Wheezy/Extra-Modules/
wget -P /tmp/ https://googledrive.com/host/0B8P7qC27sushWHg2VFB6QTRJLW8/DebianDog-Wheezy/Extra-Modules/sfs.txt

ALL=`cat /tmp/sfs.txt`
lst=$(yad --separator=" " --center --height 600 --width="800" --list --title="Download SFS module" --multiple --text=" Download SFS modules. \n Select (multiple) items to download." --column "Available Modules" $ALL --button="gtk-cancel:1" --button="gtk-ok:0")
ret=$?
[[ $ret -ne 0 ]] && exit 1
echo $lst

SAVEFOLDER=$(yad  --center --title="Select folder to download SFS modules" --file --height=600 --width=800 --text=" Select folder to download SFS modules to" )
ret=$?

for i in $lst; do
# This assumes "sfs.txt" is in DebianDog-Wheezy/Extra-Modules/
wget -P "$SAVEFOLDER" https://googledrive.com/host/0B8P7qC27sushWHg2VFB6QTRJLW8/DebianDog-Wheezy/Extra-Modules/$i
done
Any suggestion for improvement is welcome of course.

Fred
Last edited by fredx181 on Thu 14 Aug 2014, 19:39, edited 1 time in total.

saintless

#3426 Post by saintless »

Thank you, Fred!
Too late tonight but I will test it tomorrow. I think it will be better to change it to smokey01.com later since it is the official DebianDog site but this is not important for the tests.

Toni

fredx181

#3427 Post by fredx181 »

Toni wrote:I think it will be better to change it to smokey01.com later since it is the official DebianDog site
Yes, but the available space could be a problem if you'd like to add more modules, that's why I thought google drive would be a better choice.

Fred

fredx181

#3428 Post by fredx181 »

Tm_mT wrote:BTW. No rush, I will not be able to do more this evening and will check again tomorrow or the weekend (have a lot more time then)

Thanks !
Thanks for your courage to test things but as a reminder.. my post from here:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 575#794575
Sometimes things just work OK when you start from scratch.
Sorry if I possibly missed that you tried that already.

Fred

stemsee

#3429 Post by stemsee »

fredx181 wrote: The script:

#!/bin/bash
[ "`whoami`" != "root" ] && exec gsu ${0}

[ -f /tmp/sfs.txt ] && rm -f /tmp/sfs.txt

# Download sfs.txt to /tmp to read list of available modules further by the script.
# It assumes "sfs.txt" is in DebianDog-Wheezy/Extra-Modules/
wget -P /tmp/ https://googledrive.com/host/0B8P7qC27sushWHg2VFB6QTRJLW8/DebianDog-Wheezy/Extra-Modules/sfs.txt

ALL=`cat /tmp/sfs.txt`
lst=$(yad --separator=" " --center --height 600 --width="800" --list --title="Download SFS module" --multiple --text=" Download SFS modules. \n Select (multiple) items to download." --column "Available Modules" $ALL --button="gtk-cancel:1" --button="gtk-ok:0")
ret=$?
echo $lst

SAVEFOLDER=$(yad  --center --title="Select folder to download SFS modules" --file --height=600 --width=800 --text=" Select folder to download SFS modules to" )
ret=$?

for i in $lst; do
# This assumes "sfs.txt" is in DebianDog-Wheezy/Extra-Modules/
wget -P "$SAVEFOLDER" https://googledrive.com/host/0B8P7qC27sushWHg2VFB6QTRJLW8/DebianDog-Wheezy/Extra-Modules/$i
done
Any suggestion for improvement is welcome of course.

Fred
I couldn't help but try it on my EmSeeV2.3 dpup wheezy. Tested downloading one sfs, perfect. Then selected two sfs files and perfect. The only problems are 1. Downloaded in pwd, not i selected directory. 2. Exits script after downloading, when I think it would be nice if it returned to the list first.

I hope you don't mind, I know it is primarily for DD.

stemsee

#3430 Post by stemsee »

duplicate!

saintless

#3431 Post by saintless »

Sorry, Fred, google drive does not work for me. No problem to paste the text in browser (even Dillo):

https://googledrive.com/host/0B8P7qC27sushWHg2VFB6QTRJLW8/DebianDog-Wheezy/Extra-Modules/sfs.txt
And the page with sfs.txt opens, but this is the output from terminal:

root@debian:~# sfs-get-test
--2014-08-15 08:06:21--  https://googledrive.com/host/0B8P7qC27sushWHg2VFB6QTRJLW8/DebianDog-Wheezy/Extra-Modules/sfs.txt
Resolving googledrive.com (googledrive.com)... 173.194.39.235, 173.194.39.236, 173.194.39.234, ...
Connecting to googledrive.com (googledrive.com)|173.194.39.235|:443... connected.
ERROR: The certificate of `googledrive.com' is not trusted.
ERROR: The certificate of `googledrive.com' hasn't got a known issuer.
cat: /tmp/sfs.txt: No such file or directory
Adding --no-check-certificate after wget also does not work.
I guess it is ISP problem, but works fine wget lines changed to:

wget -P /tmp/ http://smokey01.com/saintless/DebianDog/Extra-modules/sfs.txt
wget -P "$SAVEFOLDER" http://smokey01.com/saintless/DebianDog/Extra-modules/$i
I'm not in favour adding too many extra sfs modules for DebianDog. Adding extra modules that are difficult to be setup from the user or smaller size alternatives to debian repository version is fine, but making extra modules for programs that need simple apt-get command to have them working is not needed in my opinion.
For example even 051-smo-freeoffice.squashfs, 064-cups.squashfs, ffmpeg-static-0.9.4.squashfs are not needed because it is very easy to install them. Nobody reported googleearth module works and may be it doesn't and is not needed also.

I also think using too many sfs modules and not enough reading will create problems for us and for the user. DebianDog depends on dpkg database - Puppy does not. Remastering by mistake without unloading modules in use even without dpkg-registration is not a good idea in my opinion. We have enough tools included in DebianDog for making and using sfs modules and also using existing puppy sfs modules and pet packages.

We have now around 400Mb free in smokey01.com. Why trying to make bigger sfs repository for DebianDog? I understand it is unavoidable for Puppy because almost every version needs different sfs for the same program, but this is disadvantage in my opinion and it is not the case with DebianDog.

Toni

dancytron

#3432 Post by dancytron »

I was the one that reported that google earth doesn't work.

That isn't a Debian dog issue. It is a unsupported mesa driver for my graphics chip issue. Version 6 does work.

I like sfs files, but they are so easy to make with apt2sfs, unless they need something that apt2sfs won't do, I agree they aren't necessary.

saintless

#3433 Post by saintless »

Thank you, Dan!
I guess I missed somehow your report about testing 08-googleearth-debdog.squashfs or misunderstood something in it...
I will remove the module from the site then. And we get extra 55Mb free :)

Toni

fredx181

#3434 Post by fredx181 »

stemsee wrote:I couldn't help but try it on my EmSeeV2.3 dpup wheezy. Tested downloading one sfs, perfect. Then selected two sfs files and perfect. The only problems are 1. Downloaded in pwd, not i selected directory. 2. Exits script after downloading, when I think it would be nice if it returned to the list first.

I hope you don't mind, I know it is primarily for DD.
I don't mind at all.
Strange that it doesn't download to selected folder, it does for me.
Toni wrote:I'm not in favour adding too many extra sfs modules for DebianDog. Adding extra modules that are difficult to be setup from the user or smaller size alternatives to debian repository version is fine, but making extra modules for programs that need simple apt-get command to have them working is not needed in my opinion.
We have now around 400Mb free in smokey01.com. Why trying to make bigger sfs repository for DebianDog? I understand it is unavoidable for Puppy because almost every version needs different sfs for the same program, but this is disadvantage in my opinion and it is not the case with DebianDog.
Yes, I guess you are right, no sfs-get for DD then.
Just curious, doesn't wget work at all for you to download from google drive?

Fred

saintless

#3435 Post by saintless »

Hi, Fred.
I didn't say no sfs-get for DebianDog, just I'm not in favour of big sfs repository for DebianDog. And I see smokey01.com as best choice for repository. It works for me and I have problem downloading from google drive (maybe other peiople have the same problem too).

The only way I found to download from google drive is this one:

root@debian:~# cd /live/image
root@debian:/live/image# wget --no-check-certificate https://googledrive.com/host/0B8P7qC27sushWHg2VFB6QTRJLW8/DebianDog-Wheezy/Extra-Modules/sfs.txt
--2014-08-15 13:46:56--  https://googledrive.com/host/0B8P7qC27sushWHg2VFB6QTRJLW8/DebianDog-Wheezy/Extra-Modules/sfs.txt
Resolving googledrive.com... 173.194.116.236, 173.194.116.235, 173.194.116.234, ...
Connecting to googledrive.com|173.194.116.236|:443... connected.
WARNING: cannot verify googledrive.com's certificate, issued by `/C=US/O=Google Inc/CN=Google Internet Authority G2':
  Unable to locally verify the issuer's authority.
WARNING: certificate common name `*.googleusercontent.com' doesn't match requested host name `googledrive.com'.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 302 Moved Temporarily
Location: https://9eb8f45ca0acc9dd68fbe8a604cd7299aa432000.googledrive.com/host/0B8P7qC27sushWHg2VFB6QTRJLW8/DebianDog-Wheezy/Extra-Modules/sfs.txt [following]
--2014-08-15 13:46:56--  https://9eb8f45ca0acc9dd68fbe8a604cd7299aa432000.googledrive.com/host/0B8P7qC27sushWHg2VFB6QTRJLW8/DebianDog-Wheezy/Extra-Modules/sfs.txt
Resolving 9eb8f45ca0acc9dd68fbe8a604cd7299aa432000.googledrive.com... 173.194.116.235, 173.194.116.236, 173.194.116.234, ...
Connecting to 9eb8f45ca0acc9dd68fbe8a604cd7299aa432000.googledrive.com|173.194.116.235|:443... connected.
WARNING: cannot verify 9eb8f45ca0acc9dd68fbe8a604cd7299aa432000.googledrive.com's certificate, issued by `/C=US/O=Google Inc/CN=Google Internet Authority G2':
  Unable to locally verify the issuer's authority.
WARNING: certificate common name `*.googleusercontent.com' doesn't match requested host name `9eb8f45ca0acc9dd68fbe8a604cd7299aa432000.googledrive.com'.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
Length: 195 [text/plain]
Saving to: `sfs.txt'

100%[======================================>] 195         --.-K/s   in 0s      

2014-08-15 13:46:57 (911 KB/s) - `sfs.txt' saved [195/195]

root@debian:/live/image# 
But --no-check-certificate does not work in any combination inside this line:

Tested to add it before and after -P and at the end of the line. Does not works for me in such combination. I guess it is some ISP issue.

Toni

fredx181

#3436 Post by fredx181 »

Hi Toni,
I didn't say no sfs-get for DebianDog, just I'm not in favour of big sfs repository for DebianDog. And I see smokey01.com as best choice for repository.
Ok, sorry, then I'll continue working on sfs-get, good to know about the '-P' option not working right with nocheck-certificate.
I'll change to smokey01.com.
fred

saintless

#3437 Post by saintless »

Thanks, Fred!
There is http://www.smokey01.com/saintless/Debia ... es/sfs.txt created for testing. If anything needs to be changed write what and I will do it.
Download in selected folder works for me using smokey01.com.
Toni

dancytron

#3438 Post by dancytron »

saintless wrote:Thank you, Dan!
I guess I missed somehow your report about testing 08-googleearth-debdog.squashfs or misunderstood something in it...
I will remove the module from the site then. And we get extra 55Mb free :)

Toni
You misunderstood again I think.

It doesn't work on my computer because version 7 Google Earth won't work on my computer in any version of Linux. It requires a higher MESA version than my chipset has an intel driver for. It probably works fine for people with different chipsets.

Tm_mT

#3439 Post by Tm_mT »

saintless wrote: If you did this:
you should not have initrd.img-3.14-0.bpo.1-686-pae anymore.
no I didn't I renamed it and then moved it from another directory so that is why both were still present. Maybe the presence of initrd.img-3.14-0.bpo.1-686-pae did mess it up.
saintless wrote: "file not found" seems to me there is no initrd.img available in /opt/bin/special/patch-live-initrd. And it is not detected also.
Not detected, but it was there.
saintless wrote: Maybe you made copy instead renaming and initrd.img is broken or it is not there? Is it the same size like initrd.img-3.14-0.bpo.1-686-pae?
Anyway try typing initrd.img-3.14-0.bpo.1-686-pae instead initrd.img then. It is there reading the detected output:

Detected initrd files:
Toni
I am going to try again first and let you know how it goes.

Tm_mT

#3440 Post by Tm_mT »

fredx181 wrote:
Tm_mT wrote:BTW. No rush, I will not be able to do more this evening and will check again tomorrow or the weekend (have a lot more time then)

Thanks !
Thanks for your courage to test things but as a reminder.. my post from here:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 575#794575
Sometimes things just work OK when you start from scratch.
Sorry if I possibly missed that you tried that already.

Fred
Already tried that Fred, but to be sure I just tried again and still the same result.