Retrovol doesn't show "mix" as Capture So. option in Precise

Audio editors, music players, video players, burning software, etc.
tardis

Retrovol doesn't show "mix" as Capture So. option in Precise

#1 Post by tardis »

Running Precise 5.7.1.iso 32 bit from flash drive.

Why does Retrovol window not show option for "MIX" as choice for Capture So. ; only "Mic" or "Line" ?

When I run Precord in Slacko Puppy 5.7 on this same computer it will give me the choice of "MIX" and I can record streaming music off the web just fine!
Attachments
Retrovol Options in Slacko Puppy 5.7.jpg
(31.28 KiB) Downloaded 647 times
Retrovol Options in Precise Puppy 5.7.1.jpg
(29.92 KiB) Downloaded 956 times

mcewanw

#2 Post by mcewanw »

You would probably be better posting your problem in the retrovol thread, which I found via forum search here:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 1380148065

Precord itself has nothing itself to do with what controls retrovol will display, it simply includes a button for starting up the external program retrovol.

You should see no difference if you start retrovol manually (without starting Precord at all). You can do so by simply right-clicking the taskbar volume control icon and selecting "Full Window". Sorry, that I can't help you with retrovol problem itself - it provides a Capture control Mix option on my machine running either Slacko or Precise.

EDIT: You might like to start the alternative mixer called "alsamixer" in Precise and see if you have a Capture mode Mix option available there. To do so, you need to open a commanline console (e.g. from desktop icon) and enter the program name alsamixer and press enter key. I suspect your sound card itself simply hasn't been correctly set up by default by Precise system as it boots up. In that case, you can do so manually, by running the program alsaconf (again from a commandline console) and answering all the questions it asks.

William
github mcewanw

tardis

#3 Post by tardis »

Thanks for the suggestions mcewanw.
I still can't seem to get the MIXER option to show after trying them.
Even the alsamixer menu seems to have blanked out columns?
As I am such a newbie at this I may have something set improperly elsewhere.
I will search the Retrovol specific threads as you recommended!
Attachments
alsamixer in Precise Puppy.png
(25.68 KiB) Downloaded 388 times

mcewanw

#4 Post by mcewanw »

tardis wrote:Thanks for the suggestions mcewanw.
I still can't seem to get the MIXER option to show after trying them.
Even the alsamixer menu seems to have blanked out columns?
As I am such a newbie at this I may have something set improperly elsewhere.
I will search the Retrovol specific threads as you recommended!
Did alsaconf detect your soundcard okay?
github mcewanw

tardis

#5 Post by tardis »

Sorry mcewanw I completely forgot to post the code output...

(From Precise)

Also I am noticing in my first post there are several configuration options that retrovol is showing in Slacko that Precise isn't.

Both running on the same computer.

Code: Select all

# alsaconf
/usr/sbin/alsaconf: line 723: 12821 Segmentation fault      nohup /root/Startup/retrovol_tray > /dev/null
Getting started...
Building card database, please wait...
...device found
Configure driver snd-hda-intel...

Now ALSA is ready to use.
 For adjustment of volumes, use your favorite mixer.

Have a lot of fun!
Attachments
Soundcard Selection.jpg
(28.13 KiB) Downloaded 500 times

don570

#6 Post by don570 »

For the record I have problems setting Retrovol in Precise Puppy as well,
but I can still get it to record . I click bacon recorder VU level icon to make
sure that the audio level is reasonable, then click a record icon.

mcewanw

#7 Post by mcewanw »

don570 wrote:For the record I have problems setting Retrovol in Precise Puppy as well,
but I can still get it to record . I click bacon recorder VU level icon to make
sure that the audio level is reasonable, then click a record icon.

Did you fix the VU code in Bacon Recorder? As I brought to your attention, in Bacon Recorder thread, some while ago, there is a serious error in that code line the system file /dev/null to be overwritten with a normal txt file, which can prevent some other applications functioning properly:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 890#783890

Versions of Precord earlier than version 8.1.5 suffered from the same critical error, but the VU peak level meter code in Precord was fixed in 8.1.5, thanks to forum member SFR, such that its VU code does not overwrite /dev/null and is thus safa to use. Precord versions earlier than that should not be used. Replace them with current Precord dotpet from here:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 630#370446

@tardis: The same VU peak level meter test don570 refers to is also available in Precord (but per my above comment use latest Precord 8.1.5 or above, which does not overwrite /dev/null and is thus safe): Simply click on the record stop button and the VU peak level meter will pop up along with Retrovol window for adjustments. Alternatively, in the Precord larger config gui there is a 'Mixer' button near the bottom of the GUI (I maybe should change that icon to a picture of a VU meter too perhaps, to make its function more obvious, but that is otherwise just cosmetic and doesn't make it work any better :-).

As far as your Retrovol issue in Precise, tardis, however, the recording app used will make no difference to the problem you have reported. Bacon Record, uses the same basic underlying (arecord piped to lame) codeline to make a recording as Precord does for mp3 recording. The problem you are experiencing is something to do with the lower system level audio card driver in Precise, such that neither Retrovol nor alsamixer are finding all the capture controls properly. As I said, it is nothing at all to do with the chosen recording program used.
github mcewanw

don570

#8 Post by don570 »

I'll get to it eventually. I'm currently making mtpaint tutorials.
I'm the world expert at making mtpaint tutorials. :lol:

tardis

#9 Post by tardis »

As far as your Retrovol issue in Precise, tardis, however, the recording app used will make no difference to the problem you have reported. Bacon Record, uses the same basic underlying (arecord piped to lame) codeline to make a recording as Precord does for mp3 recording. The problem you are experiencing is something to do with the lower system level audio card driver in Precise, such that neither Retrovol nor alsamixer are finding all the capture controls properly. As I said, it is nothing at all to do with the chosen recording program used.
I think I understand mcewanw...
It's not a Precord or Retrovol issue but something in the way Precise Puppy itself handles my audio card.
That's fine after all as I can still use Slacko to get the job done!
And your advice here has helped me to understand Puppy's audio options in general...especially calling up alsamixer via terminal!
Woof! Woof! (Thanks!)

don570

#10 Post by don570 »

Yes. Slacko and the other distros show MIX and MIX MONO on my machine
so the problem is with Precise.

RSH

#11 Post by RSH »

don570 wrote:Yes. Slacko and the other distros show MIX and MIX MONO on my machine
so the problem is with Precise.
I like to recommend to not to use sound cards that built in the main board (onboard sound cards).

My onboard sound card is set to disabled in the main board settings and I'm using a PCI sound card. An old sound blaster, such one which having a game port.

I can play music from computer's CD drive and record with Audacity, e.g. Works also with Jack and Rosegarden etc.
[b][url=http://lazy-puppy.weebly.com]LazY Puppy[/url][/b]
[b][url=http://rshs-dna.weebly.com]RSH's DNA[/url][/b]
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=91422][b]SARA B.[/b][/url]

Pelo

Retrovol Alsamixer and Pmusic aplay

#12 Post by Pelo »

Retrovol Alsamixer and Pmusic aplay
some distros don't record in spite of capture colums in alsamixer and Retrovol are correctly set.
Problem seem caused by aplay already busy.
Is there a way off killing all audio processes running ?
A distro concerned : TRITON 5.7.3 (By Petihar) : all works perfect untill you load the browser (not included). As Petihar has kindly provided a nice melody when browser is downloading, i think the process lets aplay busy... Perhaps, it's just une hypothèse. :?
Evererything is perfect in version 5.4.2 of its Puplet 5.4.
Triton is not the only distro concerned, but i am running Triton now, so...

PS :audio works everywhere, youtube, playing Pmusic, it's only recording which is inactive.
Liaison avec Triton
Attachments
Pizzasgood.jpg
Merci pour retrovol, Pizzasgood
(55.03 KiB) Downloaded 114 times