How to use my Usb NetGear WN111 v1021?

razenxd

How to use my Usb NetGear WN111 v1021?

#1 Post by razenxd »

hello again mates.
Well i'm in terrible situation since my main pc broke down :(
So im with the T42 that i just revived with the Lucid Puppy 5.2.8 .
Well since my main is broken and i'm in need of a main pc for a while my only solution is my t42 which CAN'T connect on WPA networks(only WEP).
I'm having a NetGear WN111 v1021 (i think is the commonly named WN111 v1 ) which i would like to use.
I hooked it up before booting and hoped that it will work.But it didn't.
Well I check on hardware info and it's there, it doen't have any module installed from what i've check.
I opened the connection wizard and i see the same devices as before
eth0 wired
eth1 Pci wireless
irda0 (not usable)
wlan0 (not usable)

Tried to autoload modules from wizard also but nothing happened.
searched on net and didn't find any proper answer on how to load a module about a usb card or something , i just saw on some topics that the chipset of that usb card is puppy friendly.
Maybe it's some simple command expressions but i have not a clue(First time linux/puppy user)
Thanks for taking the time to read this topic
Regards

rcrsn51

#2 Post by rcrsn51 »

According to here, there is no Linux driver for your WN111v1. So your only choice would be using the Windows driver through ndiswrapper. Do you still have the install CD?

razenxd

#3 Post by razenxd »

rcrsn51 wrote:According to here, there is no Linux driver for your WN111v1. So your only choice would be using the Windows driver through ndiswrapper. Do you still have the install CD?

Hmm maybe i saw topics regarding wn111v2 then :(
well no i lost cd years ago, but i can probably easy find the windows drivers on net, i've done it sometimes before when some of my friends was in need of my usb :D
Will the downloaded option work with the NDiswrapper?

rcrsn51

#4 Post by rcrsn51 »

The wikidevi page has a link to the Netgear download site. But the WN111 driver is a Windows exe. So you would have to install it in Windows, then pull out the required files.

Read here for instructions on setting up ndiswrapper.

razenxd

#5 Post by razenxd »

rcrsn51 wrote:The wikidevi page has a link to the Netgear download site. But the WN111 driver is a Windows exe. So you would have to install it in Windows, then pull out the required files.

Read here for instructions on setting up ndiswrapper.
so i could only use a ndiswrapper driver only with pwf?

rcrsn51

#6 Post by rcrsn51 »

You would have to check the other Puppy network managers to see if they handle ndiswrapper.

razenxd

#7 Post by razenxd »

rcrsn51 wrote:
You would have to check the other Puppy network managers to see if they handle ndiswrapper.
I see,well i'll come back with the results

razenxd

#8 Post by razenxd »

well i could only choose between eth0 (wired) and eth1(wireless pci) interfaces on ndiswrapper, no netgear as interface.
What should i do now?

rcrsn51

#9 Post by rcrsn51 »

Have you gone through the blacklisting procedure for your pci adapter? This is explained in the PWF instructions.

You have not stated which connection manager you are using. I can only speak for PWF.

razenxd

#10 Post by razenxd »

rcrsn51 wrote:Have you gone through the blacklisting procedure for your pci adapter? This is explained in the PWF instructions.
Yeah sure but something not going well and dunno what :(
I just also noticed that in the installed directory of windows drivers there's not any .inf file...gosh and i have to give the laptop i borowed for searching solutions back :(

ardvark

#11 Post by ardvark »

Hi...

If changing to WEP temporarily is not an option, you could buy another wireless adapter that is compatible with Lucid 5.28. See this thread...

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=92814

and the adapter mentioned here...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6833315091

http://www.amazon.com/Edimax-EW-7811Un- ... B003MTTJOY

Regards...
Our Lord and Savior [url=http://peacewithgod.jesus.net/]Jesus Christ[/url] loves and cares about you most of all!

PLEASE READ! You don't have to end up [url=http://www.spiritlessons.com/Documents/BillWiese_23MinutesInHell_Text.htm]here![/url]

rockedge

#12 Post by rockedge »

I got this dongle to function fine with Lucid Puppy 5.2.8. I downloaded the windows Driver from NetGear and then installed WINE. I ran the installer which extracted the driver and .inf I then used nidiwrapper to load the .inf and the netgear WN111 was found immediately and would connect with WPA if I remember correctly.

tempestuous

#13 Post by tempestuous »

In the recent forum thread "Loading Puppy on a way old laptop" you said this -
razenxd wrote:Well i got one NextGear WN111 which i thinks it works but really i dont like the option to have an external adapter
and this -
razenxd wrote:If u came up with any idea i will be happy to hear and try
By your own criteria, I provided you in that thread with what appears to be the perfect solution - replace the internal mini PCI card with WPA-compatible Intel 2200BG.
So apart from leaving the forum thread hanging (which is not good etiquette) you seem to have overlooked the ideal answer for your situation !?

Sure, there's a fair chance that the WN111v1 USB dongle will work with ndiswrapper, but
1) Marvell-chip-based dongles are not particularly good in the first place. They are reported to have very limited range.
2) setting up ndiswrapper won't necessarily go smoothly - the Windows Vista driver might fail, for example, and the Windows XP driver might work, or vice-versa ... some testing may be required.
3) wrapping a Windows driver under Linux is less than technically solid - it might work, but only at reduced speed. That's commonly reported.
and 4) you said "i dont like the option to have an external adapter".

So is my advice in the other forum post worth revisiting, perhaps?

tempestuous

#14 Post by tempestuous »

rockedge wrote:the netgear WN111 was found immediately and would connect ...
Do you have v1 or v2?
Forum member razenxd has the v1, with Marvell chipset.
The v2 has the superior Atheros AR9170 chipset.

tempestuous

#15 Post by tempestuous »

Ah, the sound of stunned silence.

don570

#16 Post by don570 »

I have Netgear_Wn111_N300_Wireless-N_Usb_Adapter

I can load the driver with frisbee (after waiting about 30 sec).
It keeps dropping in Precise puppy , but in other puppies it works great.

The driver's name isn't netgear. (maybe atheros?? I forget.)

rcrsn51

#17 Post by rcrsn51 »

For the sake of comparison, I am currently running Precise 571 with a Netgear WN111v2. I have installed PWF and a non-frisbeed version of dhcpcd. It is rock-solid.

don570

#18 Post by don570 »

I should test it again with a fresh install of precise puppy
since I was testing with an old installation with a lot of changes.

tempestuous

#19 Post by tempestuous »

Just to be clear, there are TWO distinctly different variants of the Netgear WN111: v1 and v2.

v1 contains the Marvell 88W8362 chipset. There is NO native Linux driver for this chipset. Wrapping a Windows driver with ndiswrapper is the only option.

v2 contains the Atheros AR9170 chipset. Modern Puppies contain the carl9170 driver which supports this chipset.

rcrsn51 definitely has the v2.
don570 most likely has the v2.

But the original poster has the v1, hence the problem.
My comment about "stunned silence" in my previous post was not intended to encourage further input from other forum members. It was a subtle reference to the rudeness of the original poster in not replying to either of the 2 forum threads where this person asked for advice.

rockedge

#20 Post by rockedge »

it was a v1 I think. Sorry about the late answer I got distracted. Did you get the Netgear to work with the wrapper? I think both versions will work. Installed Wine then clicked on the Windows driver .EXE that I downloaded which extracts the files. Using the Network Wizard loaded the extracted .INF file. The network device was detected and was able to connect to the router.