Light-Debian-Core-Live-CD-Wheezy + Porteus-Wheezy

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
saintless

#3401 Post by saintless »

Hi, Fred, I do not like your way of vacationing ;)

I will need some time to check, ulpad and remove files form the site, but...
fredx181 wrote:Some good news and some bad.
Start with the bad (which will turn out good):
One of the cheatcodes for porteus-boot doesn't work. It's the "load=..." parameter.
From the Porteus cheatcodes documentation:
http://www.porteus.org/tutorials/26-gen ... -them.html
load=module
load=module[1];module[n]

... Load optional modules from /optional/ directory on the booting
media. Additional modules can be listed, separated
by semicolons, without spaces.
Exampe: 'load=gimp;inkscape' would search for and load any
modules in the /porteus/optional folder that contain the strings
'gimp' or 'inkscape'.
Now, it's probably not very important but I couldn't resist to fix it.
So I edited the initrd*.xz (but only linuxrc inside) from all **kernel**.zip from the site.
Here the new ones are:
https://googledrive.com/host/0ByBgCDlZZ ... Debiandog/
I see this one different. At the moment porteus-boot searches inside /live and its subfolders (no matter what is the name) for any squashfs file and it is loaded on boot with this boot code:

Code: Select all

title DebianDog-Porteus
root (hd0,0)
kernel (hd0,0)/live/vmlinuz1 noauto from=/
initrd (hd0,0)/live/initrd1.xz
Or any squashfs in /live/optional, /live/rootcopy, /live/name-me-as-you-want will be loaded on boot. This means load= parameter is working without the need to add it (like your fix with systemd does not need init= parameter).
I'm not sure what is your fix in linuxrc yet, but it is not tested proper for official change and if it will stop searching and auto-loading squashfs from /live and its subfolders I'm not sure I like to loose this porteus-boot behaviour.

Or maybe you mean if load= parameter is added only the listed after load= modules will be loaded and other modules in /root/optional will not be loaded?

Toni

fredx181

#3402 Post by fredx181 »

Toni wrote:I see this one different. At the moment porteus-boot searches inside /live and its subfolders (no matter what is the name) for any squashfs file and it is loaded on boot with this boot code:
Code:
title DebianDog-Porteus
root (hd0,0)

Or any squashfs in /live/optional, /live/rootcopy, /live/name-me-as-you-want will be loaded on boot. This means load= parameter is working without the need to add it (like your fix with systemd does not need init= parameter).
I'm not sure what is your fix in linuxrc yet, but it is not tested proper for official change and if it will stop searching and auto-loading squashfs from /live and its subfolders I'm not sure I like to loose this porteus-boot behaviour.
Sorry, I should have given more information.
The load= parameter is meant to be for optional loading.
How it is now is indeed that every .squashfs found in /live and all it's subfolders will be loaded.
This way the load= parameter just makes no sense/difference.
The advantage of the load= parameter is that you can have several modules placed in /optional but they will only be loaded if you specify "load=name;othername".

What is not changed after my edit:
- Every found squashfs from /live /live/base and /live/modules will still be loaded.
/rootcopy is another story, it's meant for putting folders/files in it (which will override everything including savefile)

What is changed after my edit:
- squashfs modules from /live/optional will be loaded only when specified by load=name (or part of name).

Trust me, it was like this before changing the setup to .squashfs modules and /live folder. It's supposed to be like this.I tested. And wouldn't have done all this if I wasn't sure.
I just like it to be the same as original Porteus, otherwise we should not pretend the cheatcodes work the same.

No, today no vacation :)
Btw, I enjoy that the main DebianDog thread is busier now.

Fred

saintless

#3403 Post by saintless »

OK, Fred, I will replace the kernel modules tomorrow.

I still have no plans to rebuild iso in the next months so I suggest initrd1.xz to be available for download from link in fixes post. If you like to rebuild OpenBox version sooner I will replace it.

Is there anything special to write about 025-kernel-3.13.6-porteus.zip? I can't test it on my hardware.

And something to write about Porteus-Wheezy-3.13.6-openbox.iso?
I will add it in the first post in this thread after upload + links for your google drive for older versions and link in DebianDog thread. Is this OK?

Toni

fredx181

#3404 Post by fredx181 »

Toni wrote:OK, Fred, I will replace the kernel modules tomorrow.
No, hurry.
I know you seldom use porteus-boot so I can't expect you'd be enthusiastic about using the option load=..
To make more clear what I mean also for others here's some examples.
Say I went crazy by making lots of modules by apt2sfs and finding puppy sfs's (changed extension to .squashfs), I have 10 of them but I don't want them all loaded at boot.
So I placed all 10 in the /live/optional directory.

Example 1: none of the 10 modules will be loaded because load= parameter is not in kernel line:

title DebianDog-Porteus
root (hd0,0)
Example 2: now added load= on the kernel line but load only ffmpeg (ffmpeg.squashfs is one of the 10 modules)

title DebianDog-Porteus
root (hd0,0)
kernel (hd0,0)/live/vmlinuz1 noauto from=/ load=ffmpeg
Example3: now loading skype.squashfs and ffmpeg.squashfs (names separated by a semicolon):

title DebianDog-Porteus
root (hd0,0)
kernel (hd0,0)/live/vmlinuz1 noauto from=/ load=ffmpeg;skype
If you want them all loaded at boot place them in /live /live/base or /live/modules.
Is there anything special to write about 025-kernel-3.13.6-porteus.zip? I can't test it on my hardware.
That's a pity.
Well, if you possibly see any use for it, it has encryption support.
It's the same way adapted for DD as the earlier porteus kernel that's on the site.
And something to write about Porteus-Wheezy-3.13.6-openbox.iso?
I will add it in the first post in this thread after upload + links for your google drive for older versions and link in DebianDog thread. Is this OK?
Yes, fine. It's also perfectly ok for me if you only place the google drive links and remove all porteus-wheezy from the site.
I don't have much more to add then I already mentioned, it has the same fixes and additions as latest DD.

Fred

saintless

#3405 Post by saintless »

Hi, Fred.

All information added. If you find something for changing just write what is needed.
The kernel 3.13.6 added in separate kernel post.

We have some issue with 2Gb limit save file GUI for porteus boot. Read the question from Tm_mT. I guess it is because vfat limit for 2Gb files but I think on vfat you can't create more than 2Gb save file anyway. Is there a reason we need this 2Gb limit in mk-save.gtkdlg?
He also gets some messages with porteus boot for improper shutdown and save file warning that I can't reproduce yet.

Can you share some tips how was made this google drive setup? I like it and it is good to have somethink like this for site backup. Note I do not have google account myself. I use for download the one my wife has. So I need step by step instruction or howto link here when you have time to explain :)

Edit. BTW, Fred, check out refracta-initrd-patch method when you have time:
http://www.smokey01.com/saintless/Fredx ... cta.tar.gz
I think rebuilding and uploading again everything just because linuxrc has some changes is not better way to provide fix than patching the initrd from the user. At least rebuilding and reuploading again few weeks after we stated stable version does not look good to me. I still think it is stable.
Fix like load= is not critical and I doubt anyone noticed it is missing. I also doubt someone uses separate kernel module different from 3.14-pae. Providing initrd patch is beter way to fix it and the rebuilding could be done when we are ready to upload new improved iso versions.
Not to mention the troubles we will have if something is wrong in the edited linuxrc. I know you are sure it is fine and it is tested well but I thought the same about desktop-editor for example and for porteus-mk-save.gtkdlg (2gb limit). It is easy to miss some test when you are the only one who tests and you are the only one who knows most options for testing and you are testing only on your own hardware, filesystem type etc...

Toni

fredx181

#3406 Post by fredx181 »

Hi Toni,
All information added. If you find something for changing just write what is needed.
The kernel 3.13.6 added in separate kernel post.
Yes, can you also add it runs with systemd enabled or something like that?
We have some issue with 2Gb limit save file GUI for porteus boot. Read the question from Tm_mT. I guess it is because vfat limit for 2Gb files but I think on vfat you can't create more than 2Gb save file anyway. Is there a reason we need this 2Gb limit in mk-save.gtkdlg?
He also gets some messages with porteus boot for improper shutdown and save file warning that I can't reproduce yet.
The file size limit on FAT is 4GB. I didn't realize that mk-save has 2GB limit creating savefile.
Here's a way to change the max value in the script from command line:

SIZE='--field="Savefile Size   MB:NUM" "200!100..2048!5"'
NEWSIZE='--field="Savefile Size   MB:NUM" "200!100..4090!5"'
sed -i "s,$SIZE,$NEWSIZE,g" /opt/bin/mk-save.gtkdlg
New value will then be a little less then 4GB, to be safe when using on FAT.
You're right, this should be on the "fixes" list.

I can't test with kernel 3.14 now because it's PAE, but otherwise the only message I've seen was "recovering journal" when using encrypted save.
Can you share some tips how was made this google drive setup?
Sure, I'll explain later today with some screenshots, can I assume you have account and logged in already in google drive, so need explanation after that only?

I'll check the initrd patch within the next days.
Next time I will write first about what fix I think is needed.
In this case I thought I do the work myself because of mistake I made before, and I know it's no fun for you compressing all the initrd.xz files on your low-ram computer.
For info, what I changed in linuxrc is very simple:
Before fix: (On section: # Find modules)

# Find modules:
find $PTH $PTH/base $PTH/modules -name "*.squashfs" 2>/dev/null | egrep -v "$NOLOAD" | sort -u >/tmp/modules
find $PTH/optional -name "*.squashfs" 2>/dev/null | egrep "$LOAD" | sort >>/tmp/modules
New:

ls $PTH/*.squashfs 2>/dev/null | egrep -v "$NOLOAD" | sort -u >/tmp/modules
find $PTH/base $PTH/modules -name "*.squashfs" 2>/dev/null | egrep -v "$NOLOAD" | sort -u >>/tmp/modules
find $PTH/optional -name "*.squashfs" 2>/dev/null | egrep "$LOAD" | sort >>/tmp/modules
The first line searches only in /live, not in sub-directories.
The second in /live/base and /live/modules.
The third in /live/optional in case load= is specified.

saintless

#3407 Post by saintless »

Hi, Fred :)
fredx181 wrote:Yes, can you also add it runs with systemd enabled or something like that?
Done.
Here's a way to change the max value in the script from command line:

SIZE='--field="Savefile Size   MB:NUM" "200!100..2048!5"'
NEWSIZE='--field="Savefile Size   MB:NUM" "200!100..4090!5"'
sed -i "s,$SIZE,$NEWSIZE,g" /opt/bin/mk-save.gtkdlg
I gave advice to use live-boot-2 or 3 and create the encrypted file from there. It is easier. What about if someone deside to make 8Gb or 100Mb save file? :)
If you fix mk-save.gtkdlg later I will add it to the fixes post for download.
I can't test with kernel 3.14 now because it's PAE, but otherwise the only message I've seen was "recovering journal" when using encrypted save.
There is similar message but only with encrypted save file for me about /dev/mapper/crypt not clearly unmounted and forced check. I think the shutdown script does not unmount /dev/mapper/crypt. I haven't tested OpenBox yet. Don't think it is a problem anyway.
Sure, I'll explain later today with some screenshots, can I assume you have account and logged in already in google drive, so need explanation after that only?
Thank you, yes, I will use my wife's account for testing.

Toni

fredx181

#3408 Post by fredx181 »

Hi Toni,
Here's how to make a folder in google drive behave as a webhost:
In this example from an empty google drive (I just created a new account and have 15GB again!)
Click on the red "Create" button and create a folder:

Ok, I created 'Debdog', right-click on the new folder and choose Share > Share:

New window appears, now change "Private only you can access" to "Public on the web" and click Save.
Then click Done on the previous window:

Then right-click on the new folder and choose "Details and activity" (there's also the "i" button on top right button section)
It probably opens in "Activity" so click on Detalis:

Almost at the bottom of Details under 'HOSTING' you see an https address with 'host' in it:

Now that's the host address of the new shared folder and you can make new folder or upload file inside and add /name-of-subfolder or /filename after the host address.

Btw, works also as you can see.

Fred

saintless

#3409 Post by saintless »

Thank you, Fred, great instruction to follow!
15 Gb... I like it already :)

Toni

fredx181

#3410 Post by fredx181 »

Toni wrote: What about if someone deside to make 8Gb or 100Mb save file? Smile
Yes, you never know what people are capable of, nearly 20Gb limit will be sufficient I think :)
Attached new make-save.gtkdlg and makepfile.sh, goes from 100-20000Mb.

Edit: But I don't know what happens exactly when someone tries to create for example 5Gb savefile on a FAT partition.
What do you think in general, do we need more error checking, I mean in other scripts also e.g. check for enough space or not?

Good luck with your new google drive, 15Gb is indeed a lot.
I was thinking recently to add maybe some sort of sfs-download program, would be nice to offer prefab sfs modules this way (like most puppy's have also).
There is similar message but only with encrypted save file for me about /dev/mapper/crypt not clearly unmounted and forced check. I think the shutdown script does not unmount /dev/mapper/crypt. I haven't tested OpenBox yet. Don't think it is a problem anyway.
I also don't think it's a problem, fsck works very well.
I often see on shutdown message about /dev/loop* not unmounted, it doesn't look nice, maybe create some script that unmounts all modules on shutdown but that won't be easy I think.

Fred
Attachments
make-save-new.tar.gz
Make-save fixed 2Gb limit
(4.21 KiB) Downloaded 353 times

saintless

#3411 Post by saintless »

fredx181 wrote:Attached new make-save.gtkdlg and makepfile.sh, goes from 100-20000Mb.
Thanks, Fred, I will add it to the fixes later tonight or tomorrow.
What do you think in general, do we need more error checking, I mean in other scripts also e.g. check for enough space or not?
No. I will test it on vfat when I get time for this but I prefer the scripts less complicated. And as you know we do not get much testing reports to be sure all works well after the changes.
I was thinking recently to add maybe some sort of sfs-download program, would be nice to offer prefab sfs modules this way (like most puppy's have also).
We can use sfs-get from Sfs. It is included in his version of DebianDog-OpenBox. I'm not sure GUI is easier than download sfs and load with right click but sfs-get is already adapted to work with DebianDog. It needs only repository change.
All kind make-it-easier-for-me utilities result in less reading and Debian needs reading and command line typing from time to time.
maybe create some script that unmounts all modules on shutdown but that won't be easy I think.
No, in my opinion. Not easy and we can not predict the result without much testing first.

I'm trying to be DebianDog user for a while, Fred. Let's enjoy our work and fix bugs only when needed.

Toni

saintless

#3412 Post by saintless »

Hi, Stemsee and all interested from experimental boot methods.

Some of your kernels uploaded here for puppy-initrd-boot (in case you need quick link to share them):
https://9eb8f45ca0acc9dd68fbe8a604cd729 ... ntal-boot/
I can't test 64bit but I guess they will work.

Also for Puppy-Rus-A-boot but I need time for translating the boot script and adding some instruction how to use the kernels. I will get back on this when I'm ready.

Toni

atv

Great job! you guys

#3413 Post by atv »

Toni, Fred, Sergey, William, Sunburnt, Nooby(in absence) and all others

I want you guys to know that the work you have done and are doing is being enjoyed by: Myself and about (80 and growing) others, that are not fortunate enough to be computer literates and do have access to low cost(older)laptops etc.
My two cents is to install and maintain their systems free of charge. This effort of yours makes my task a great deal easier. So thank you all for the job well done. Keep up the good work and enjoy your well deserved holidays. :D

regards, Andres

stemsee

#3414 Post by stemsee »

@saintless, Fredx181

That's a very neat way to use google drive. I will have to do that too! :)

.. sometime... :!:

saintless

Re: Great job! you guys

#3415 Post by saintless »

Hi, Andres, glad to read DebianDog is useful for you and much more people :)
atv wrote: and do have access to low cost(older)laptops etc.
In case there are machines with less than 1Ghz processor and 512Mb Ram using gzip compression for the main 01-filesystem.squashfs module will speed up the system. More information here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 872#793872

Stemsee, yes, Fred found great way to use google drive.

Toni

fredx181

Re: Great job! you guys

#3416 Post by fredx181 »

atv wrote:Toni, Fred, Sergey, William, Sunburnt, Nooby(in absence) and all others

I want you guys to know that the work you have done and are doing is being enjoyed by: Myself and about (80 and growing) others, that are not fortunate enough to be computer literates and do have access to low cost(older)laptops etc.
My two cents is to install and maintain their systems free of charge. This effort of yours makes my task a great deal easier. So thank you all for the job well done. Keep up the good work and enjoy your well deserved holidays. :D

regards, Andres
Thanks very much Andres :)
stemsee wrote:That's a very neat way to use google drive. I will have to do that too! Smile
.. sometime...
Your decision, but... do it now! :) it's easy once you know how.
For information: It can be done with already existing folder also, just change the permissions to public.

Fred

stemsee

#3417 Post by stemsee »

My google drive is like a teenagers bedroom at the moment!! :P

fredx181

#3418 Post by fredx181 »

stemsee wrote:My google drive is like a teenagers bedroom at the moment!! :P
Yes, make me feel 40 years younger!
Seriously now, you can make new folder to use as host to share public only.

Fred

step

#3419 Post by step »

Here follow
  • Alternative google hosting folder istructions...
  • Simplified for EmSee and me - we share the teenager's bedroom approach to google drive :)
By way of a pratical example: sharing a fictitional file, EmSee's next 2GB+ EmSee3.iso release: Remarks
  • You can see that the folder ID stays the same, and publishing a direct link is just a matter or re-writing the url. In fact, you could publish both urls.
  • When accessing a folder/file via drive.google.com one gets the familiar google drive interface, with thumbnails, previews, and several prompts before one can download a file. (Note that the drive.google.com link to a shared file can't be derived as I showed above for a folder.)
  • When accessing the file via googledrive.com one gets a file list and direct links, that is, no prompt to download the file!
  • So with the googledrive.com direct link one can download the file from a script using wget, which can't be done when drive.google.com is used for the link and one has to use a web browser to download. (For instance, I can't download a file larger than 2GB from drive.google.com because my firefox drops out at the 2GB fence. But I could download the same file from googledrive.com with wget, because wget doesn't drop out after 2GB.)
  • As Fred pointed out, with googledrive.com one can also append the relative path to a file in a sub-folder.
The folder ID in my examples corresponds to Toni's DebianDog backup folder.
Last edited by step on Thu 14 Aug 2014, 20:54, edited 1 time in total.
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Fatdog64-810[/url]|[url=http://goo.gl/hqZtiB]+Packages[/url]|[url=http://goo.gl/6dbEzT]Kodi[/url]|[url=http://goo.gl/JQC4Vz]gtkmenuplus[/url]

saintless

#3420 Post by saintless »

Thank you, Step!
These google drive tips should go in special thread so more people can use them.

Toni