Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sat 25 Oct 2014, 08:24
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
L.A.S.S.I.E. - Version 0.0.2 - a new LazY Puppy
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
Page 5 of 5 Posts_count   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
RSH

PostPosted: Sat 24 May 2014, 12:36    Post_subject:  

Quote:
The information you posted solved all my problems

Ok, good to hear.

Quote:
I am ok booting from Cd but will probably carry out a full HDD install some time in the future

Don't do this.

Do a frugal install either to HDD or to USB-Flash (or USB-HDD) - I recommend USB-Flash.

L.A.S.S.I.E. is made especially for the use of SFS Modules that can be loaded for the use of its containing application and unloaded on the fly after the application is not longer needed during the session.

To load and unload SFS Modules doesn't change anything inside the OS as it is done when installing .pet files.

A full HDD install can not handle SFS Modules in that way.

You can create so-called RunScripts by right-clicking a SFS Module (choose 'Create RunScript) and after creating the RunScript, the application can be executed from a (its) menu entry. The SFS Module will load automatically before executing the application.

Try also this feature it is somehow similar to previous mentioned RunScripts but comes as a RoxApp Directory (needs to be stored on ext partition).

More information to this feature can be found at SARA-B in forum Utilities.

Ok, I hope you'll have fun with L.A.S.S.I.E.

greengeek

PostPosted: Tue 03 Jun 2014, 14:59    Post_subject:  

Wow! Looks great RSH Smile Major project.
bark_bark_bark

PostPosted: Wed 18 Jun 2014, 13:03    Post_subject:  

I had installed it and tried booting it with GRUB Legacy, but it won't boot.

I have installed and configured GRUB Legacy correctly.

RSH

PostPosted: Thu 19 Jun 2014, 17:29    Post_subject:  

bark_bark_bark wrote:
I had installed it and tried booting it with GRUB Legacy, but it won't boot.

I have installed and configured GRUB Legacy correctly.

This doesn't sound good to me.

Unfortunately I've never used GRUB Legacy and so I don't have any idea, why it won't boot.

All my bootable partitions on usb flash drives and/or usb hd drives are formatted to FAT32 with Grub4DOS installed to boot the operating systems.

Please, would you post here again, if and how you maybe solved this (so I can put a link to such solution for other users using GRUB Legacy)?

Thanks.

greengeek wrote:
Wow! Looks great RSH Smile Major project.

Thanks, though I think, the Major project is still to come. Maybe L.A.S.S.I.E. 0.0.3 will be close to it?

Besides L.A.S.S.I.E. 0.0.3 will be able to boot directly into a specific Language, Keyboard Layout and also Timezone, it will have some more new features.

To boot L.A.S.S.I.E. 0.0.3 directly into a specific Language, Keyboard Layout and also Timezone, parameters plang, pkeys and ptimezone can be used separately as well as this all can be setup by a single parameter, pinterface. This of course is limited so far to the languages of the pre-installed langpacks.

L.A.S.S.I.E. 0.0.3 will have some Menu Pipes for JWM like:

- Recently used Files
- Rox Bookmarks
- List of SFS Modules loaded
- External Scripts
- Portable Linux Applications
- Portable Windows Applications
- RoxApp Application-Directories
- Personal Favorites

To get those external Scripts, RoxApps and Portables into the JWM Menu, a corresponding file is used, which is located at boot partition.

One e.g. definition in this corresponding file would be, the name of the Wine SFS Module to use.

Clicking a Menu entry in the Menu Pipe for the Portable Windows Apps, will load first the defined Wine SFS and then execute the Portable Windows App.

Expanding the OS by programs from SFS Modules and get them into the Menu by Menu Pipes - no remasters are needed for this.

Another Example given:

Create a SARA-RSD Application Directory with SARA-B. Copy this SARA-RSD Application Directory into a Directory at L.A.S.S.I.E.'s parallel partition and put a symbolic Link into the external directory used for the Personal Favorites. Refresh the Menu Pipe and use the application from SFS by a Menu entry in Personal Favorites JWM Menu Pipe.

No save files, no remasters needed at all!

Plus some more, which I will announce later.

RSH

RSH

PostPosted: Wed 25 Jun 2014, 17:09    Post_subject:  

Hi.

Regarding of my announcements in my previous post as well as to the inabilty of L.A.S.S.I.E. Version 0.0.2 to create a save file at shutdown (except on usb-flash, FAT32 formatted), I did decide to make a step, that I've already announced and partly released in LazY Puppy 2.0.2-005.

L.A.S.S.I.E. Version 0.0.3 will be completely unable to use and handle puppy save files - I have removed and modified everything that I could find in the scripts to make L.A.S.S.I.E. Version 0.0.3 a PUPMODE=5, RAM only, no save file in use Puppy Linux.

It will include the Configuration SFS and Personal Data SFS ability and functions, which I'm using for about a year now in my private version of LazY Puppy to keep settings like used GPRS Modem and/or selected Screen Resolution etc.

Besides a manually editing by unsquashfs/mksquashfs or SFS-Edit, there will be the SFS P.L.U.S. Remaster Script and also the LazY Remaster Suite to remaster the OS - if a remaster really would be necessary.

RSH

RSH

PostPosted: Mon 07 Jul 2014, 16:35    Post_subject:  

Download LP2_JWildFire-1.63.sfs.
The LP2_jre-1.7u13-i586.sfs is predefined as dependent SFS for LazY Puppy and L.A.S.S.I.E. 002.

oui

Location: near Woof (Germany) :-) Acer Laptop emachines 2 GB RAM AMD64. franco-/germanophone, +/- anglophone

PostPosted: Sun 13 Jul 2014, 03:20    Post_subject: KDE environment as SFS and Parley as Debian DEB  

@RSH

and it also works in LASSIE

under the condition you invoque the KDE applications from Urxvt console and NOT from Menu (the new installed menu items don't work!)

(this message was edited in Konqueror!)
kde.jpg
Description 
jpg

Download 
Filename  kde.jpg 
Filesize  38.28 KB 
Downloaded  71 Time(s) 
RSH

PostPosted: Sat 09 Aug 2014, 11:26    Post_subject:  

Hi.

Looks like there are just a few steps to go and L.A.S.S.I.E. 003 will be ready to upload.

L.A.S.S.I.E. 003 will come with 3 Window Managers installed:

- JWM
- IceWM
- Fluxbox

Attached Image shows L.A.S.S.I.E. 003 with IceWM including the new Menu Pipes, which are now working for JWM, IceWM and Fluxbox.

This L.A.S.S.I.E. 003 was booted from USB HD directly into DE Language, DE Keyboard Layout and DE Timezone just by a Menu Entry in menu.lst.

Quote:
kernel /LassieDev/vmlinuz lpextsfs=LassiePrecise_Extension.sfs lpconfigsfs=no lpusersfs=no psubdir=LassieDev pmedia=atahd pfix=fsck pinterface=de nouveau.noaccel=1

Opened Menu Pipe showing in the Image represents my external Scripts Directory, its Sub-Directories and Scripts.

RSH
image-1.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   182.1 KB
 Viewed   302 Time(s)

image-1.jpg

oui

Location: near Woof (Germany) :-) Acer Laptop emachines 2 GB RAM AMD64. franco-/germanophone, +/- anglophone

PostPosted: Sun 10 Aug 2014, 09:25    Post_subject:  

Hi RSH

Good info, thank you very much! Is the ISO yet online?

And why only 3 Laughing WM? Why not KDE?

KDE depends of an (existing) suppl. SFS of course but offers considerably wider performances as only a pretty desktop:

if you use and load a kde.sfs, you are also able to work with a lot of other goodies of Linux depending of KDE like educative applications (Kturtle, Parley etc) as well as artistic applications for sounds and music, painting etc.!
stemsee

PostPosted: Sun 10 Aug 2014, 10:17    Post_subject:  

Looks like another keeper!

Menu pipes, builds menu from harddrive directory trees ... oder?
RSH

PostPosted: Mon 11 Aug 2014, 08:11    Post_subject:  

stemsee wrote:
Looks like another keeper!

Menu pipes, builds menu from harddrive directory trees ... oder?

Yes.

These Menu Pipes using a corresponding File at boot partition, wherein the directories of Scripts and Files etc. are to be defined, so the User can setup his own Directories for Scripts and Files etc.

Let's say the user defines a Script Directory "Scripts" then the Menu Pipes searching for Directory "Scripts" at boot partition. But one can define also a complete path like: /mnt/sda1/my-scripts.

All these Menu Pipes are statically, which means, one needs to refresh them manually after content of directories has changed.

oui wrote:
Hi RSH

Good info, thank you very much! Is the ISO yet online?

And why only 3 WM? Why not KDE?

KDE depends of an (existing) suppl. SFS of course but offers considerably wider performances as only a pretty desktop:

if you use and load a kde.sfs, you are also able to work with a lot of other goodies of Linux depending of KDE like educative applications (Kturtle, Parley etc) as well as artistic applications for sounds and music, painting etc.!

I don't know much about KDE, so I would need to learn again a lot to be able to include KDE into L.A.S.S.I.E.

No, the ISO is not yet uploaded. Sorry for confusing, but "just a few steps to go" wasn't meant like "just a few minutes to work".

If I would try to include KDE, it surely would take still months to upload L.A.S.S.I.E. 003.

slackfan wrote:
Hi RSH

RSH wrote:
This L.A.S.S.I.E. 003 was booted from USB HD directly into DE Language, DE Keyboard Layout and DE Timezone just by a Menu Entry in menu.lst.

Quote:
kernel /LassieDev/vmlinuz lpextsfs=LassiePrecise_Extension.sfs lpconfigsfs=no lpusersfs=no psubdir=LassieDev pmedia=atahd pfix=fsck pinterface=de nouveau.noaccel=1

Is there some step by step description for all parameters of that commando line so we can be able to vary them if more adequate?

(DE language is sometimes ok for me, sometimes not; DE Keyboard ist ok as far as Swiss DE keyboard Wink; DE Timezone is ok)

bye

When L.A.S.S.I.E. 003 is uploaded it will contain a description for all the new L.A.S.S.I.E. boot options and also a few examples of different entries for the file menu.lst.

Please post future questions etc. in -this here- my already existing L.A.S.S.I.E. thread and don't re-open any new ones. I don't want to "manage" several different L.A.S.S.I.E. topics.

I will ask the admin to remove the one you have opened, since there is not yet a L.A.S.S.I.E. 003. uploaded.

Edit:

@Admin
Thanks for removing the topic.

@slackfan
Those boot options shown in above code are similar (or maybe equal) to those that are already used in your LazY Three Headed Dog DE version. The new one is pinterface which doesn't do anything when not used/submitted. So a user will still be able to use plang and pkeys as usual - and to use ptimezone in addition, which is also a new boot option.

Display_posts:   Sort by:   
Page 5 of 5 Posts_count   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Jump to:  

Rules_post_cannot
Rules_reply_cannot
Rules_edit_cannot
Rules_delete_cannot
Rules_vote_cannot
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum