Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Wed 22 Oct 2014, 04:21
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
OB Precise 14.07.26, Woof-CE build
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
Page 2 of 2 Posts_count   Goto page: Previous 1, 2
vicmz

PostPosted: Sun 27 Jul 2014, 17:58    Post_subject: Extended use of keyboard shortcuts  

Keyboard shortcuts are practical, quicker, and they can give a break to your hands, you can use them to avoid the mouse unless you need it. In the first post there's a list of shortcuts configured in OBprecise to activate certain programs with the keyboard. However, many people don't know that software interfaces in general are full of sets to operate by keyboard, which was in fact the way things were done before the mouse was invented. If your wrists and fingers ache, or if you want to prevent those aches in the first place, you should consider this alternative. Let's see some examples.

Openbox and most window manages allow switching window focus by pressing Alt+Tab, and switching window tabs by pressing Ctrl+Tab. By pressing Alt+Ctrl+Q the Openbox right-click menu appears under the mouse cursor, and you can select entries with the arrow keys (up, down, left, right), then press Enter key to confirm.

In file managers/explorers, use the arrow keys to select a file and Enter key to open it with the default program.

For most program menus, press Alt plus the first letter of the menu you want to see, for example Alt+F for the 'File' menu, arrow keys to select and option and Enter to confirm.

By pressing the Tab key you can move to the next button/entry box. Page Up and Page Down keys, and arrow keys can be used to scroll through pages without using the scrollbars. Use Home/End keys to go directly to the start/end of a page.

Most applications have universal keyboard shortcuts to open a file (Ctrl+O), select all text (Ctrl+A), open a new tab (Ctrl+T), new window or file (Ctrl+N), close a tab (Ctrl+W), cut (Ctrl+X) copy (Ctrl+C) and paste (Ctrl+V) text or files, save modifications (Ctrl+S), and exit the program (Ctrl+Q).

Keyboard shortcuts may be a little different in some programs. Explore the menus and learn how to manage some functions with the keyboard. You can also search cheatsheets with lists of keyboard shortcuts of your favourite programs.

Finally, most Linux systems allow cursor movement by numeric keypad, press Shift+NumLock to enable/disable this feature. It isn't as fast as an actual mouse, but it does the job, and if your mouse doesn't work it buys time until you are able to replace it with a mouse that works. Click here to learn how to use mouse keys.

Edited_times_total
nilsonmorales

PostPosted: Sun 27 Jul 2014, 23:22    Post_subject:  

Reportando todo en orden nuevamente, instalé paquetes del repo de josejp2424 y por el momento todo funciona "ok" cairo-dock y beryl le dan un toque fino, claro todo y cuando se tenga una pc modesta,

La captura obligada.
Saludos.

vicmz

PostPosted: Fri 08 Aug 2014, 10:18    Post_subject:  

Nice one Nilson Very Happy

Idea For those who want to install VLC in OB Precise, OscarTalks VLC without Qt works fine:

http://smokey01.com/OscarTalks

If sound is muted for you in VLC, check this:

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=793466#793466

Idea If you boot to a black desktop (happens in some computers), most likely the desktop is not completely loaded, but it isn't locked, right-click and the Openbox menu will appear, select Restart X server. Also, make a save file big enough to avoid resizing it in the future (1 GB or more recommended) and install only applications most frequently used. This solves it 99% of the time.

In my computer this usually happens with JWM as well, and not only my derivative but official Puppy builds as well, so I suppose it depends on the hardware. However, in JWM for some reason I have to restart X at least three times (even pressing CTRL+ALT+BACKSPACE), sometimes doing something silly like opening a window, expanding it full screen and then restarting X, to get the desktop fully loaded.

Edited_time_total
vicmz

PostPosted: Fri 08 Aug 2014, 10:54    Post_subject: qucikpet_precise-2  

For those who use QuickPet Precise, 666philb has released an update:

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=83642

The Update button in the older version is broken, you'll have to install this QuickPet update manually.

cimarron

PostPosted: Sat 09 Aug 2014, 16:53    Post_subject:  

Very nice, vicmz. Thank you! Everything seems to work for me on a Dell Inspiron 5100 (with just 512MB RAM, so I love the very low resource demands). I made quite a few tweaks to the desktop, but was impressed how good OBPrecise looks out of the box.

These are thumbnails, click for full size:

Odd quirk, on this computer having the framerate synchronized to the vertical refresh resulted in a very low framerate (less than 10) which caused GL games to run slow. Didn't have that problem using GuyDog previously. But I was able to use "vblank_mode=0" when running a game and that solved the low framerate for me. When I booted OBPrecise on another computer, though, no low framerate problem at all.
Display_posts:   Sort by:   
Page 2 of 2 Posts_count   Goto page: Previous 1, 2
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Jump to:  

Rules_post_cannot
Rules_reply_cannot
Rules_edit_cannot
Rules_delete_cannot
Rules_vote_cannot
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum