DebianDog - Wheezy

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
Tm_mT

#341 Post by Tm_mT »

saintless wrote:Hi, Tm_mT and jangelelcangry.
I hope this will not discourage you
Haha, certainly not :)
I am more worried my/our questions will discourage you. You have put a lot of effort into explaining the workings of DebianDog in the first post.
Unfortunately missing (or misinterpreting) one minor step in a great explanation can have consequences like this if you don't have the experience.

One additional question before I try it out. In my menu.lst I don't see "root (hd0,0)" but uuid afca251b-50da-4e0a-87e7-cabd2e8ee8ce
Should I update that part or can I use it like this? DebianDog is installed on sda2, not sure what this represents in (hdx,x).

saintless

#342 Post by saintless »

Tm_mT wrote:One additional question before I try it out. In my menu.lst I don't see "root (hd0,0)" but uuid afca251b-50da-4e0a-87e7-cabd2e8ee8ce
Should I update that part or can I use it like this? DebianDog is installed on sda2, not sure what this represents in (hdx,x).
Keep UUID as it is (but do not add then root (hdx,x)).
DebianDog installer uses UUID of the drive and this is better and safer.
You can use UUID for manually adding menu entries by typing blkid in terminal. It shows UUID for each drive.

Toni

Tm_mT

#343 Post by Tm_mT »

Ah indeed, nice. Will try it out (probably in a few hours) and report back. Thanks!

Tm_mT

#344 Post by Tm_mT »

Yeah, it works!

I assume if I want my changes.dat encrypted I can't do it easily afterwards?

saintless

#345 Post by saintless »

You can make new encrypted save file and mount it and copy all files from non-encrypted save file inside from command line but it is better to start with encrypted save file for the moment.
I will try to make script to help porting non-encrypted to encrypted save in the next days. Read the thread for update about this.

Tm_mT

#346 Post by Tm_mT »

saintless wrote:You can make new encrypted save file and mount it and copy all files from non-encrypted save file inside from command line but it is better to start with encrypted save file for the moment.
I will try to make script to help porting non-encrypted to encrypted save in the next days. Read the thread for update about this.
OK, nice. Care to share the command to mount a save file? Mount -o loop?

Sorry for all the questions, feel free to refer to tutorials or links to more detailed info.

Tm_mT

#347 Post by Tm_mT »

One of the first things I usually do after installing any kind of distro is installing Firefox (Iceweasel) and flash. Tried to install from the repo - apt-get install flashplugin-nonfree, but flash was not automatically detected by the browser. I am using DebianDog-Wheezy-jwm_icewm-beta.iso

solution:

http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/
download tar.gz for other Linux
extract libflashplayer.so from the tarball in /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/
restart Iceweasel

stemsee

#348 Post by stemsee »

Hi Saintless everyone

I wrote an unattended remaster script for puppy, it works also with fatdog-700 and should work with any live system with some minor modifications. During multiple tests I realised that I was recreating the puppy filesystem in a directory over and over again for minor modifictaions in the running system. As I test it on my own EmSeeV2.2 @ 2.1GB it takes a while. So I wrote this small script 'ursync' to rsync a running live system with a remaster directory, and if you are willing, to advise on any refinements to improve its function also with DebianDog, particularly the exclude option and maintaining correct permissions I would appreciate it. Not a high priority I know.

Code: Select all

#!/bin/bash
echo
echo "Enter the path, drive and directory you wish to sync with running system.
For example 'mnt sda2 apupsys' which are defaults in Unattended-Remaster script."
echo
read path drive dir
if [ -d /$path/$drive/$dir ]; then
xmessage "Press ok to rsync running system with /'$path'/'$drive'/'$dir'.
Or press 'ok' then 'Ctrl + c' to exit script without syncing."
sleep 8
rsync -urDElpH -e --delete /* /$path/$drive/$dir -F --exclude={run,media,live,aufs,dev,proc,mnt,sys,tmp,initrd,archive,audit,/var/cache/apt/archives,/var/cache/slapt/archives}
else
xmessage "Hmm ... '$dir' on '$path'/'$drive' wasn't found.
      Is there a spelling mistake?
	Is '$drive' the right partition?
		  Is '$drive' mounted?
	Is the path /mnt or /media ? Please check!

Press 'ok' to try again. Or 'ok' then 'Ctrl + c' to exit script."
fi
exec ursync
exit

saintless

#349 Post by saintless »

Tm_mT wrote:One of the first things I usually do after installing any kind of distro is installing Firefox (Iceweasel) and flash. Tried to install from the repo - apt-get install flashplugin-nonfree, but flash was not automatically detected by the browser. I am using DebianDog-Wheezy-jwm_icewm-beta.iso

solution:

http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/
download tar.gz for other Linux
extract libflashplayer.so from the tarball in /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/
restart Iceweasel
Thanks , Tm_mT, I think also you can use the same way from the menu Settings -> Flashplayer Choice:

Care to share the command to mount a save file? Mount -o loop?
This will work only for non-encrypted mount.

mount -o loop /path-to/chages.dat /path/mount-point
For encrypted save file something like this:
Make new encrypted save file changes.dat with Make Save File from the menu in /live/image (for example).

losetup /dev/loop6 /live/image/changes.dat
cryptsetup luksOpen /dev/loop6 crpt # you will be asked for password here
mkdir /mnt/temp
mount /dev/mapper/crpt /mnt/temp
Now /live/image/changes.dat is mounted in /mnt/temp
If non-encrypted changes.dat is in use at the moment all content is available in /live/cow
This should be enough to paste the content in encrypted save file:

cp -a /live/cow/* /mnt/temp
Or you can mount non-encrypted save file this way:
Right click from XFE on the non-encrypted save file and choose Open with -> type mnt-img -> Accept
New window will open with the content of changes.dat (mark and paste the path from this new window in terminal with Scroll button)

cp -a /media/path-with-many+++changes.dat/* /mnt/temp
Then unmount the encrypted save file, remove /mnt/temp, close /dev/mapper/crypt and free /dev/loop6:

umount /mnt/temp
rm -fr /mnt/temp
cryptsetup luksClose crpt
losetup -d /dev/loop6
Something like this should work.
Last edited by saintless on Sat 09 Aug 2014, 12:04, edited 2 times in total.

saintless

#350 Post by saintless »

Hi, Stemsee.
Fred is the master of remaster DebianDog script and I'm sure he can give you better advise. I'm not good at all in script writing.
What I can give you is very simple and easy to understand command line version of DebianDog remaster script that does not need Yad or gtkdialog. It may help you with some idea for improvement. Zip archive attached.
Attachments
remasterdog-cli.zip
remasterdog-cli script
(1.09 KiB) Downloaded 154 times

stemsee

#351 Post by stemsee »

Thanks. That gives me all the info I need, in an easy to understand script.

fredx181

#352 Post by fredx181 »

stemsee wrote:
I wrote an unattended remaster script for puppy, it works also with fatdog-700 and should work with any live system with some minor modifications.
Hi stemsee,
Yes, you could have a look at the script Toni has send.
This is only for when $dir already exists full of files and folders, right?
I'm not exactly sure what your intention is, you have the --delete option in the rsync command.
In case you also want to have files deleted in the target directory synced with what you deleted/uninstalled from the filesystem I'd do just this:

rsync -v -a --delete /* /$path/$drive/$dir --exclude={run,media,live,aufs,dev,proc,mnt,sys,tmp,initrd,archive,audit,var/cache/apt,var/lib/apt/lists}
(with added var/lib/apt/lists to exclude and the whole var/cache/apt folder excluded )
To be honest I don't know about all the rsync options you use (-urDElpH -e)

Some more tips:

# After recreating /tmp give it the right permissions.
chmod a=rwx,o+t /$path/$drive/$dir/tmp
Also you might want to "zerosize" man and doc files in /usr/share, it's like this then:

cd /$path/$drive/$dir
zerosize() {
  find $* | while read file; do
    echo -n "."
    rm -f $file
    touch $file
  done
}

zerosize usr/share/doc -type f -size +1c
    zerosize usr/share/doc -type l

zerosize usr/share/man -type f -size +1c
    zerosize usr/share/man -type l

zerosize usr/share/info -type f -size +1c
    zerosize usr/share/info -type l

zerosize usr/share/gnome/help -type f -size +1c
    zerosize usr/share/gnome/help -type l

zerosize usr/share/gtk-doc -type f -size +1c
    zerosize usr/share/gtk-doc -type l

chown -R man:root usr/share/man
You might want to do some more cleaning in /$path/$drive/$dir, look at the lines starting with "rm" in the remasterdog script.

Fred

stemsee

#353 Post by stemsee »

Thanks Fredx181

I intend to use this after a remaster for updating the 'work-di'r which I like to leave in existence for using chroot and adding apps flat. This will allow me to experiment more without having to go through the whole remaster. Yes, I know on Debiandog and most pups there is only about 150-200mb (compressed) fatdog about double that and EmSeeV2+ about 4x fatdog's size @ 2.2GB (8.2GB decompressed). There are few differenes in the structure so i am making one remaster script for all three distros and a 'developers' tool to quickly test builds with minor modifications using ursync (unattended-remaster sync).

But even for the Unattended-Remaster script I need to learn more about cache cleaning, and your zero size man, and any other tools to improve efficiency and size. The rysnc part of the script is itself a remaster tool right there, especially if all caches were found and excluded. Then cleaning would be unnecessary perhaps.

Also I am enjoying the challenge of a building a script that behaves exactly as I want, and forcing me to learn the commands and their options/syntax etc

Thanks for the advise.

Edit: rsync -urDElpH -u=skip newer files on dest -r=recursive -D=preserve devices, preserve special files -E=preserve execcutability -l=copy links as symlinks -H=preserve hard links -p=preserve permissions

I think it is a surer way to keep attributes.

fredx181

#354 Post by fredx181 »

stemsee wrote:Edit: rsync -urDElpH -u=skip newer files on dest -r=recursive -D=preserve devices, preserve special files -E=preserve execcutability -l=copy links as symlinks -H=preserve hard links -p=preserve permissions
Ok, good to know.
I forgot to mention before that when I tested your rsync command I found that it doesn't delete files in the target directory (synced with the deleted files on the filesystem).
The command I wrote does that (really "syncs" it) but maybe you don't need that really.

Fred

anikin

#355 Post by anikin »

Hi everyone,

stemsee,

For additional remastering inspiration, you might also want to have a look at refracta and UCK (Ubuntu Customization Kit). Sorry, no links. I'm using Fred's GUI and Toni's CLI scripts - both are excellent tools.

Tm_mT

#356 Post by Tm_mT »

saintless wrote: Thanks , Tm_mT, I think also you can use the same way from the menu Settings -> Flashplayer Choice:
Hmm.. I was looking for it but couldn't find it (probably in other menus). Oh well..
Thanks for the clear mount explanation! Very useful.

One additional comment.

Everytime I start DebianDog I am seeing a message that it was incorrectly unmounted. I think it says something like "uncleanly unmounted persistence..". I use the standard log-out method and then shut down. No errors shown during shutting down.

If you need a more accurate error description or like to see a log file please let me know.

fredx181

#357 Post by fredx181 »

Tm_mT wrote:Hmm.. I was looking for it but couldn't find it (probably in other menus). Oh well..
That's because:
I am using DebianDog-Wheezy-jwm_icewm-beta.iso
You are using a very, very outdated version from ages and ages ago.
:D
No, seriously now, the beta version is not that bad but indeed it doesn't include flashplayer-choice.
Better use the latest stable.

Edit: Sorry, I see just now in the download section it's still called "beta"
Two versions are available for download:
1. DebianDog-Wheezy-jwm_icewm-beta.iso -116 Mb
But when downloading name is: "DebianDog-Wheezy-jwm_icewm.iso"
I'm sure Toni will correct it when he reads this.

Fred
Last edited by fredx181 on Sat 09 Aug 2014, 16:14, edited 1 time in total.

saintless

#358 Post by saintless »

fredx181 wrote:
Tm_mT wrote:Hmm.. I was looking for it but couldn't find it (probably in other menus). Oh well..
That's because:
I am using DebianDog-Wheezy-jwm_icewm-beta.iso
You are using a very, very outdated version from ages and ages ago.
Good find, Fred :)

Tm_mT, where did you get this old one? It is not on the site since the stable is uploaded. Here is the latest and the only stable version on the site (Jwm and OpenBox):
http://www.smokey01.com/saintless/DebianDog/
The beta also works fine but much more was added for the stable here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 639#790639
Everytime I start DebianDog I am seeing a message that it was incorrectly unmounted. I think it says something like "uncleanly unmounted persistence..". I use the standard log-out method and then shut down. No errors shown during shutting down.
I do not use porteus boot much. I will check if I get the same message. Save file changes.dat (encrypted or non-encrypted) should be cheked for errors every boot with fsck. Do you see this fsck save file message on boot (before modules loading 01-filesystem.squashfs message).

Toni

fredx181

#359 Post by fredx181 »

step

#360 Post by step »

What code/config changes do you recommend to skip starting X during live boot-3x? I want live boot to fully set up everything, but leave DebianDog running at the command line prompt without X graphics. Then if root wanted to start X she could just type startx. TIA.
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Fatdog64-810[/url]|[url=http://goo.gl/hqZtiB]+Packages[/url]|[url=http://goo.gl/6dbEzT]Kodi[/url]|[url=http://goo.gl/JQC4Vz]gtkmenuplus[/url]