Sick puppy..?

Booting, installing, newbie
cheezdawg

Sick puppy..?

#1 Post by cheezdawg »

hi all, yep a complete noob here.

im running live puppy at present but im hesitant to install to hdd, as i cant seem to make a wireless connection. :oops:
when i scan with built in tools its only see eth0, which im using.
i had to load a module for this to connect, and i would be very grateful if someone can point me in the right direction, its an atheros wireless card onboard the 904hd eeepc.

thank you in advance.

Regards cheezdawg

p.s. i can see the benefits of puppy on a old netbook with a 900Mhz cpu and its running on a usb stick :D

rcrsn51

#2 Post by rcrsn51 »

Please identify the Puppy version that you are using.

cheezdawg

#3 Post by cheezdawg »

hi.

im sure its version 4..?

i selected it from a program called "UNetbootin"

it just said latest live. when i selected puppy linux

remember im a total noob

regards

Latitude

#4 Post by Latitude »

If you want people to help you, you need to provide the info they ask for.
If it's not Backed-Up, then it isn't really yours.
You just think it is.

cheezdawg

#5 Post by cheezdawg »

Latitude,

I'm a complete noob, that's why I'm asking, what more info do you require PC specs..! Surely not.
I want to try linux, but if I can't get a module/driver for a popular underpowered Asus netbook, when online via my LAN...well.?

Tell me how to obtain what you want know please.
Its version 4 as far as i know, running live on a USB drive.

Regards

starhawk

#6 Post by starhawk »

There were a few version 4's. Puppy uses a three digit version number. Also, yes, full hardware and software specs are always relevant. At the very minimum we (and everyone else) expect you to know your make and model of computer (full specs if it's a custom build) and the exact version of Puppy you are using.

If you're referencing version 400 by "version 4" (which is what the Unetbootin page references), then that's likely the problem in and of itself... that version is quite old and unlikely to support newer hardware such as netbooks. Hardware-wise, "old" to us means roughly on the fence between the 20th and 21st Centuries, tending towards the older of the two sides.

(Software-wise, Puppy itself is not that old, but it has always targeted often-left-behind hardware.)

For you, and what of your hardware I can tell you have (likely to be an early EeePC 700 or 900 series), I would recommend trying Precise Puppy 571. Download it here (direct link, click and it will begin downloading) --> http://distro.ibiblio.org/quirky/precis ... -5.7.1.iso

Once you have downloaded it to a place other than the USB drive you want to use, start Unetbootin and select the second button towards the bottom (that you have an ISO file you want to install). Browse and select the ISO file that you downloaded (the file from that link). Let Unetbootin do its thing and if all goes well you will be good to go.

Be warned though, that Unetbootin, once it's on a flash drive, it's on there basically forever. I can tell you (once you get a Puppy that you're happy with) how to remove it, but it empties the drive when you do.

EDIT: one other thing. I know that you're frustrated. Puppy can do that sometimes, just like any other OS ;) but please don't get mad at us when we ask questions. We aren't right next to you, so we don't know what you know. We need you to act as our eyes and ears and report faithfully what you see and hear so that we can actually provide the help you want us to provide. Sometimes we might need to ask you for information, or to do something and then report back to us how it goes (including the full content of any error messages you might come across).

One other thought for how you might positively ID which Puppy you are using now. When Puppy starts from a CD, it briefly displays a splash screen with a prompt at the bottom that reads "boot:" (without the quote marks). I haven't used Unetbootin myself in a long time, so I don't remember if it does the same, but if it does, that should report the version number quite faithfully. Sometimes we leave off the third digit if it's a zero -- so, for example, the latest version of our flagship Puppy is Slacko Puppy 57 (instead of 570).

bigpup

#7 Post by bigpup »

The Hardinfo program

menu->System->Hardinfo->Operating System->Distribution

This usually shows the Puppy version.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

cheezdawg

#8 Post by cheezdawg »

Thanks bigpup & starhawk #friendly

if you read the 1st post its clearly says 904hd EeePC. (Usual spec Celeron 900Mhz,1GB, Intel GPU)
Anyways..

I'll try what you mention, and post back. Thanks again.

Regards

starhawk

#9 Post by starhawk »

Whoops! Missed that you'd mentioned the make and model. Sorry bout that, definitely my bad...

Specs link --> http://www.reevoo.com/p/asus-eee-pc-904hd
Click the "Product Details" tab to see the info ;)

Looks, from what I can tell, like it's the same chassis (but different internals) as my own EeePC. Mine is a 1000HE model, and I've upgraded it considerably :D it's a solid design and it's remarkably rugged and portable -- I love it.

ardvark

#10 Post by ardvark »

Hi...

Welcome to the forum :)

Would you also open a terminal (installing "Sakura" from the Puppy Package Manager might make this easier,) and post the output of...

Code: Select all

lspci -nn
Thanks!
Our Lord and Savior [url=http://peacewithgod.jesus.net/]Jesus Christ[/url] loves and cares about you most of all!

PLEASE READ! You don't have to end up [url=http://www.spiritlessons.com/Documents/BillWiese_23MinutesInHell_Text.htm]here![/url]