A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
saintless

#321 Post by saintless »

step wrote:And of course now the live system boots without networking
Try this using save file or remastering before reboot:

Code: Select all

apt-get purge frisbee
apt-get install dhcpcd resolvconf isc-dhcp-client isc-dhcp-common
You should get working wired internet connection after reboot.
Here is how to setup static IP boot (this is the only way I know to make it persistent in Debian):
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 470#774470
And next post in case you get wireless problem sometimes:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 472#774472

step

#322 Post by step »

saintless wrote:

apt-get purge frisbee
apt-get install dhcpcd resolvconf isc-dhcp-client isc-dhcp-common
Yes, that did it, thank you! And the other links you posted will come handy soon, I'm sure.
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Fatdog64-810[/url]|[url=http://goo.gl/hqZtiB]+Packages[/url]|[url=http://goo.gl/6dbEzT]Kodi[/url]|[url=http://goo.gl/JQC4Vz]gtkmenuplus[/url]

Tm_mT

#323 Post by Tm_mT »

saintless wrote:
Tm_mT wrote:Hi, I installed DebianDog and worked...
If you still like to try SMP kernel here is even simpler method:

1. Download this archive and move it inside /live folder where 01-filesystem.squashfs, vmlinuz, initrd.img etc are located:
http://smokey01.com/saintless/DebianDog ... Pae.tar.gz
2. Extract the archive.
3. Delete (or move in different folder) /live/vmlinuz1, /live/initrd.img, /live/initrd1.img, /live/initrd1.xz
4. Rename /live/vmlinuz6 to /live/vmlinuz1
/live/initrd61.img to /live/initrd.img
/live/initrd62.img to /live/initrd1.img
/live/initrd63.xz to /live/initrd1.xz
5. Reboot DebianDog without changing anything in menu.list (but do not use Copy to RAM boot yet).

If you decide to try and you like the result I will post simple instruction how to remaster DebianDog by removing the old kernel and using the new one. It is easier than you can imagine :)

Toni
Should your explanation start with a full, frugal install, from RAM or any other install method?

saintless

#324 Post by saintless »

Hi, Tm_mT.
Tm_mT wrote:Should your explanation start with a full, frugal install, from RAM or any other install method?
It does in the first post:
saintless wrote: To test DebianDog for first time you need to burn it on CD, use DebDog-installer from the iso to make frugal install, or to extract /live folder on top of a partition or USB and edit manual your boot grub menu.lst
DebianDog has Frugal and Full installer included.

DebianDog has kernel 3.2.0-4-486. If it works for your hardware you need nothing more. If it doesn't, please, read here how to boot easy with different kernel.
If you make Full install there will be no /live folder and no way to load SFS modules anymore (same as in Puppy linux).
5. Reboot DebianDog without changing anything in menu.list (but do not use Copy to RAM boot yet).
The reason not to use Copy to Ram is live-boot-2x and live-boot-3x boot codes are setup to copy only one sfs module in Ram. You can use Copy to Ram with porteus-boot for the first test or to change toram=01-filesystem.squashfs to toram only in the boot codes, but since it is only for testing to see if the new kernel works for you I gave the safe option not to use Copy to Ram.
I will add this information in the post for separate kernel modules to make it more clearly.

It could be very well the reason for the problem jangelelcangry has with no working keyborad and mouse.

Edit: The information in separate kernel modules post changed with warning about Copy to Ram:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 459#774459

Thank you for this question, Tm_mT. Now the information is more complete and this should save some testing troubles in the future.

Toni

saintless

#325 Post by saintless »

fredx181 wrote:
Uploaded 039-debiandog-skype4.2.0.13-Skype2.2.squashfs sfs with skype 4.2.0.13 and skype 2.2.0.35 (56Mb):
Thanks again Toni, it's working well.
Hi, Fred.
I can't connect this morning. Can you confirm if it still works for you or we can consider the loophole is not there anymore.

Toni

fredx181

#326 Post by fredx181 »

Toni wrote:I can't connect this morning. Can you confirm if it still works for you or we can consider the loophole is not there anymore.
Yes, I can't connect also with v 2.2 anymore, tried 2.1 and login failed also.
Looks like we are forced to use the latest version only.
I made backup from /root/.Skype earlier, when I copy that to /root I can connect automatically with v 4.2.0.13.
So it seems like when you are already (automatically) logged in it still works.

Fred

saintless

#327 Post by saintless »

fredx181 wrote:So it seems like when you are already (automatically) logged in it still works.
Yes, Fred. I have the same result :) The problem is how to create and use new account. I think I'm close to fix this but I'm not sure if we need to invest time in this or just leave it. I feel more like helping Skype devs to make better protection than helping linux users. Let them be proud and happy for a while.

Toni

stemsee

#328 Post by stemsee »

saintless wrote: If you make Full install there will be no /live folder and no way to load SFS modules anymore (same as in Puppy linux). Toni
You can still install sfs files on a puppy full install, but you cannot unload them! I think it is pup_mode 13 ...or similar.

saintless

#329 Post by saintless »

Install means copy the files from sfs in running system instead loading the sfs, Stemsee. It is different. You can do the same opening the sfs file and copy the content in top level. Separate kernel module for DebianDog can be extracted and pasted in Full install, but this is not the way to use them by the instruction in the post and it is not something I recommend for testing different kernel.

fredx181

#330 Post by fredx181 »

Yes, Fred. I have the same result Smile The problem is how to create and use new account. I think I'm close to fix this but I'm not sure if we need to invest time in this or just leave it. I feel more like helping Skype devs to make better protection than helping linux users. Let them be proud and happy for a while.
Yes, I guess that's right but I could't resist experimenting with it and found it does work the other way around.
First install (or load sfs) latest version, login automatic and then use ~/.Skype from that to automatic login running version 2. (but let's keep this a secret :)

Fred

saintless

#331 Post by saintless »

fredx181 wrote:(but let's keep this a secret :)
Too late, Fred :) If you have something to add here, please, do it:
Use old Skype version after 01.08.2014
But I actually need to add one line in /root/.Skype/shared.xml

Toni

fredx181

#332 Post by fredx181 »

saintless wrote:
fredx181 wrote:(but let's keep this a secret :)
Too late, Fred :) If you have something to add here, please, do it:
Use old Skype version after 01.08.2014
But I actually need to add one line in /root/.Skype/shared.xml
Hi Toni, :)
Looks promising but I'm having trouble to understand your howto.
3. Copy only the binary file from Skype 4.2.0.13 /usr/lib/skype/skype (may be in different location depending from what package is extracted - the file is around 28Mb). Do not mistake it with /usr/bin/skype which is only script.
Move the binary in /usr/bin and rename it from skype to skype42
I have a skype-4.2 and a skype-4.3 module but can't find /usr/lib/skype/skype
And also: "Copy only the binary file from Skype 4.2.0.13", but whereto?
And: "Move the binary in /usr/bin and rename it from skype to skype42":
In case it's not a script?
Or is this specially for puppy maybe?

Fred

saintless

#333 Post by saintless »

fredx181 wrote:And: "Move the binary in /usr/bin and rename it from skype to skype42":
In case it's not a script?
Or is this specially for puppy maybe?
Hi, Fred.
Yes, this is for puppy mostly. I have several deb and pet packages and the binary is in different places. Puppy packages have /usr/bin script mostly that calls the binary from different place. I gave two download examlpes in the thread. Better to discuss this there from now. You can help me much if something is not correct.

Toni

Ether

#334 Post by Ether »

Ether wrote:I will run a test on my test machine later this evening, and post results here.
OK, I did it.

Test procedure:

1)
when I had previously installed grub4dos some time ago, it automatically created a file named sda_mbr.bak on sda1 (512 bytes).
I saved a copy of this file.

2)
when I had previously installed grub4dos some time ago, it automatically created a file named grldr on sda1.
I saved a copy of this file.

3)
grabbed a copy of sda sectors 0 through 63; edited one non-code nibble in sector 14; wrote it back.
(this was to test if these sectors got overwritten by the installer).

4)
ran G4D installer script and clicked OK at the dialog box prompt

5)
grabbed a copy of post-installation sda sectors 0 through 63

Test results:

a)
the installer created the "live" folder, and files grldr and menu.lst on sda3

b)
the grldr on sda3 was identical to the saved grldr from sda1

c)
since menu.lst was created on sda3 instead of sda1, it was a new file with only the DebDog menu items.
menu.lst on sda1 was left untouched.

d)
sectors 0 to 63 on sda after installation (step5 above) differed substantially from before installation (step3 above).
This was unexpected.

e)
When grub installation script completed (step4 above), I got a dialog box that said:

Bootloader has been installed to sda.
Note: Your old MBR was backed up to '/root/sda.63s'
If something went wrong, you can restore it with:
cat /root/sda.63s > /dev/sda

f)
I could not find sda.63s anywhere on the disk. So I could not determine if the installer made a correct backup of what was in those sectors prior to installation.

g)
sda_mbr.bak on sda1 was left untouched.

Concerns:

i) The unexpected substantial differences between sda sectors 0 thru 63 before the installation (step3) and after installation (step5).

ii) Could not find sda.63s backup that was supposedly made by the installer.

saintless

#335 Post by saintless »

Thank you, Ether!
Ether wrote:ii) Could not find sda.63s backup that was supposedly made by the installer.
It is /root/sda.63s but if you are running from bootable CD without save file it will be lost after reboot. Has to be saved somewere else in such case.

I guess you boot CD with DebianDog without save file installing frugal on HDD partittion sda3? Maybe the installer behaves different running from CD or from another frugal install on hard drive. Needs testing.

Toni

fredx181

#336 Post by fredx181 »

Ether wrote:i) The unexpected substantial differences between sda sectors 0 thru 63 before the installation (step3) and after installation (step5).
Thanks for testing.
I think I know what makes the difference:
debdog installer uses 'wee' for installing the MBR, which is probably different from the regular 'bootlace.com' (normally used by installing grub4dos)
Probably first introduced in puppy here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 181#464181
ii) Could not find sda.63s backup that was supposedly made by the installer.
Strange, it should be in /root on the filesystem from where you did the install.

Fred

jangelelcangry

#337 Post by jangelelcangry »

sorry for the delay saintless.
i forgot to mention that i never found the menu.list but i found a file name live.cfg that contains the pointers.
this is how i pointed the files on the live v2 section only:
/isolinux/live.cfg

label DebianDog live-boot v2 in RAM live persistent
kernel /live/vmlinuz6
append initrd=/live/initrd62.img boot=live persistent config noprompt quickreboot autologin toram=01-filesystem.squashfs

Am I missing something else?
Edit:
Sorry i should have use 63.xz instead of 62.img. ^.^ now it's working fine.
one problem i found is that prt sc says:
Failed to execute child process "gnome-screenshot" (No such file or directory)
BTW. This is similar to adding a new char on M.U.G.E.N fighting videogame.
Last edited by jangelelcangry on Fri 08 Aug 2014, 22:13, edited 1 time in total.

Tm_mT

#338 Post by Tm_mT »

kernel change worked, I am now using this in menu.lst

kernel /live/vmlinuz6 boot=live persistent config swapon quickreboot noprompt autologin
initrd /live/initrd61.img

Still not figured out how to add a save file and make it persistent, every time I am booting back in the same 0 state. Some reading to do I guess, this is certainly not "your typical Puppy" ;)

jangelelcangry

#339 Post by jangelelcangry »

Still not figured out how to add a save file and make it persistent, every time I am booting back in the same 0 state. Some reading to do I guess, this is certainly not "your typical Puppy" Wink
IDK if it is normal that v2 live says porteous after kernel change but now debian dog is asking me to save session in v2. something that it is supposed to do in normal live v2?
Tm_mT
test this:

label DebianDog live-boot v2 in RAM live persistent
kernel /live/vmlinuz6
append initrd=/live/initrd63.xz boot=live persistent config noprompt quickreboot autologin toram=01-filesystem.squashfs

saintless

#340 Post by saintless »

Hi, Tm_mT and jangelelcangry.

I hope this will not discourage you but all your boot codes are incorrect and you can't save changes with them in this form.
The main problem is DebianDog gives too much choice for boot and save file options and really needs some reading first following the links for each boot method: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 571#771571
Skip testing Puppy initrd boot method at the end, please. There is also live-linux boot option for download and Puppy-Russian-A boot method in progress but do not waste time for them yet. :)

To make it easier for you I suggest for both use porteus-boot till you get comfortable. If you give me more information how you plan to use DebianDog (from CD, usb, HDD partition, encrypted save or not, save on NTFS partition, save in folder or save on ext partition - all this is available as option).

jangelelcangry, this is porteus-boot copy to RAM without save file:

label DebianDog Porteus in RAM No-save
kernel /live/vmlinuz6
append initrd=/live/initrd63.xz noauto from=/ copy2ram
This one will save changes in save file changes.dat at top level of ext, vfat, ntfs partition:

label DebianDog Porteus in RAM changes=/changes.dat file
kernel /live/vmlinuz6
append initrd=/live/initrd63.xz noauto from=/ copy2ram changes=/changes.dat
This one will save changes in folder /changes at top level of ext partition:

label DebianDog Porteus in RAM changes=/changes folder
kernel /live/vmlinuz6
append initrd=/live/initrd63.xz noauto from=/ copy2ram changes=/
Encrypted save file works the same way without adding extra boot parameter. Just use Make Save File from the menu and check box for encrypted save file.
After you feel more comfortable and if you like to continue experimenting try different boot method.

Tm_mT, my advice is the same to you.
Same boot codes for grub4dos - (hd0,0) is sda1 in the example:
This is porteus-boot copy to RAM without save file:

title DebianDog Porteus in RAM No-save
root (hd0,0)
kernel /live/vmlinuz6 noauto from=/ copy2ram
initrd /live/initrd63.xz
This one will save changes in save file changes.dat at top level of ext, vfat, ntfs partition:

title DebianDog Porteus in RAM changes=/changes.dat file
root (hd0,0)
kernel /live/vmlinuz6 noauto from=/ copy2ram changes=/changes.dat
initrd /live/initrd63.xz
This one will save changes in folder /changes at top level of ext partition:

title DebianDog Porteus in RAM changes=/changes folder
root (hd0,0)
kernel /live/vmlinuz6 noauto copy2ram from=/ changes=/
initrd /live/initrd63.xz

The boot method and save file name and options depend on initrd in use and need proper boot code:
initrd.img and initrd61.img = live-boot-3x (persistence boot parameter and persistence save file + persistence.conf file inside) - Debian Wheezy Live CD.
initrd1.img and initrd62.img = live-boot-2x (persistent boot parameter and live-rw save file) - Debian Squeeze Live CD.
initrd1.xz and initrd63.xz = porteus-boot (changes= boot parameter and changes.dat save file) - Porteus (very similar to Puppy save options).
In every separate kernel module there is readme text file with initrd information.

Hope this helps a little.

Toni
Last edited by saintless on Sat 09 Aug 2014, 05:48, edited 2 times in total.