QtWeb browser SSL certificates problem

Booting, installing, newbie
liro

QtWeb browser SSL certificates problem

#1 Post by liro »

I installed QtWeb 3.8.4 from the PPM in Slacko 5.6, but am getting a lot of SSL error when using it.

I found this post by pemasu with a fix, so I followed the instructions:

Install the pet. > done
PPM > ca-certificates-some-date.deb > done with ca-certificates-20120623
In console: update-ca-certificates > done, but I get the following output:

# update-ca-certificates
Updating certificates in /etc/ssl/certs... W: /usr/share/ca-certificates/cacert.org/cacert.org_class3.crt not found, but listed in /etc/ca-certificates.conf.
W: /usr/share/ca-certificates/cacert.org/cacert.org_root.crt not found, but listed in /etc/ca-certificates.conf.
W: /usr/share/ca-certificates/mozilla/Actalis_Authentication_Root_CA.crt not found, but listed in /etc/ca-certificates.conf.
W: /usr/share/ca-certificates/mozilla/Buypass_Class_2_Root_CA.crt not found, but listed in /etc/ca-certificates.conf.
W: /usr/share/ca-certificates/mozilla/Buypass_Class_3_Root_CA.crt not found, but listed in /etc/ca-certificates.conf.
W: /usr/share/ca-certificates/mozilla/EE_Certification_Centre_Root_CA.crt not found, but listed in /etc/ca-certificates.conf.
W: /usr/share/ca-certificates/mozilla/StartCom_Certification_Authority_G2.crt not found, but listed in /etc/ca-certificates.conf.
W: /usr/share/ca-certificates/mozilla/T-TeleSec_GlobalRoot_Class_3.crt not found, but listed in /etc/ca-certificates.conf.
W: /usr/share/ca-certificates/mozilla/Trustis_FPS_Root_CA.crt not found, but listed in /etc/ca-certificates.conf.
0 added, 0 removed; done.
Running hooks in /etc/ca-certificates/update.d....done

...which doesn't look very succesful and, as expected, the SSL errors still appear in QtWeb.

Does anyone know how I can fix this?

Thanks

watchdog

#2 Post by watchdog »

Try to install a more recent ca-certificates.deb:

http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/pool/ma ... 25_all.deb

You should update openssl (and gnutls), too. There was a bug now fixed. You can find the update by menu: Menu-Setup-Updates from slackware or something of this kind.

Edit: I have tested your QtWeb from common repository in my slacko 5.6 install with updated openssl and gnutls. I confirm the problem. I don't know how to solve. I think the new build of openssl have broken something in certificates chain.

Semme

#3 Post by Semme »

Who says it needs fixin? You get an error here?

Now.. "a lot?" Tough to quantify. Humor me and list three or four sites..
>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<

watchdog

#4 Post by watchdog »

All mozilla and google websites get a ssl certificate error. Something is changed in certificates chain after the discover of the recent openssl bug. Before that discover I used QtWeb and the above fix (update-ca-certificates) worked.

liro

#5 Post by liro »

Thanks for the replies.

I tried what watchdog said but got the same result as he did. I first used QtWeb over a year ago on Slacko 5.3.3 and the little page-not-finished-fully-loading icon hardly ever stopped twirling then either. At the time I didn't know exactly what the problem was (as on previous versions it didn't give you the SSL error messages) but, for me at least, it's always been the same on whatever version of Slacko. For that reason I've stuck with Firefox, which is a shame as Qtweb is quicker and looks nicer too.

perdido

#6 Post by perdido »

Not Slacko but a QTWeb 3.8.4 pet with all dependencies is available if you want to try it.

I have been using this 3.8.4 on puppy 4.1.2 and don't get the SSL errors, works with google, etc. Link posted in reply by user cygnus_odile. I downloaded it from this thread http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 80c068a130

The link in the post http://insurance.tf-bank.net/50MB/dl/1379019111.pet goes to a Japanese web page, to download the pet you have to tick the far left check-box.

Might be worth a look unless the error you are getting is Slacko specific.

liro

#7 Post by liro »

Thanks perdido. I've just given it a try but unfortunately still get the same SSL error messages. Looks like it could be a Slacko-specific thing then.