Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Fri 22 Jun 2018, 17:19
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
DebianDog - Wheezy
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 22 of 93 [1387 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, ..., 91, 92, 93 Next
saintless

PostPosted: Thu 07 Aug 2014, 00:51    Post subject:  

Hi, Ether.
Ether wrote:
I was just sharing my experience. I'm not insisting that you do anything about it - that's your call.

If you can provide some kind of fix or improvement or information for debiandog-installer it is welcome and will be added in HowTo thread or first post here.

I don't think we can't do anything to change grub4dos or wee installer behaviour. This is what Fred's script uses to write to mbr.
If the script offers an option to auto-update existing menu.lst without installing grub4dos it will save some reading and copy/paste action for the user (not much in my opinion). Saving reading about manually editing menu.lst is not in favor of linux user.

Toni

saintless

PostPosted: Thu 07 Aug 2014, 04:01    Post subject:  

jangelelcangry wrote:
sauerbraten and glxgears still doesn't work.
I'll uninstall the fglrx driver to test if it runs on stock gpu driver after that I l'l test the kernel stuff. BTW. I'm runnng a full install debain dog xcfe..

Some more information that might be related with the problem you have:
https://packages.debian.org/wheezy-backports/x11/fglrx-legacy-driver
Quote:
This package provides display drivers and hardware accelerated OpenGL for X.Org. For 3D acceleration to work, you will need to compile the fglrx kernel module for your kernel: see the fglrx-legacy-modules-dkms package. Note that the driver will work without the kernel module, but 3D acceleration will be disabled.

The driver can work with plain MESA libGL, but some applications may require the proprietary libGL. This library is shipped in the libgl1-fglrx-legacy-glx package.

Reading the output for suggested and recommended packages:
Code:
The following extra packages will be installed:
  glx-alternative-fglrx glx-alternative-mesa glx-diversions libfglrx-legacy
  nvidia-installer-cleanup
Suggested packages:
  fglrx-legacy-control xvba-va-driver amd-opencl-icd-legacy fglrx-driver
Recommended packages:
  fglrx-legacy-modules-dkms fglrx-kernel-8.97.100.7 libgl1-fglrx-legacy-glx
  fglrx-legacy-atieventsd libfglrx-legacy-amdxvba1

mey be this will fix the problem:
Code:
apt-get install  fglrx-legacy-modules-dkms libgl1-fglrx-legacy-glx

And there is also suggested alternative:
Quote:
As an alternative, you may try the newest free driver xserver-xorg-video-radeon.

I read also suggestions for some ATI/Radeon cards to install firmware-linux-nonfree package:
https://packages.debian.org/wheezy/firmware-linux-nonfree

saintless

PostPosted: Thu 07 Aug 2014, 05:42    Post subject:  

Small change made in Skype 4.0.0.8 + Skype 2.2 module to make it work in Wheezy and Squeeze and save some space:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=792895#792895

anikin

PostPosted: Thu 07 Aug 2014, 06:30    Post subject:  

Ether,

You don't have to do a frugal install every time you update DD. Just rename the old live folder, if you want to keep it, copy over the new one, update grub4dos, adjust *manually* (why would you need automation here?) the menu entry and you're good to go. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong. I'm a happy user of extlinux and haven't used grub4dos in a while, but the logic is the same. I can hear you - been there, done the stupid thing, got frustrated ... at some point realized, I was taking stuff with too much trepidation. Overthinking in essence the most trivial things, like mbr. No big deal even if you lose it. Windows will happily boot into the one installed by grub4dos.
step

PostPosted: Thu 07 Aug 2014, 09:59    Post subject:  

I'm trying to build a network appliance based on DebianDog live with persistence. So I had to delete both default network manager packages, frisbee and sns. And of course now the live system boots without networking. I can restore networking from the command line, but I need something automatic and persistent added to live-boot to start the network as early as possible in the boot process. Can someone help me?

This is how I start the network manually from a terminal:
Code:

# /usr/lib/klibc/bin/ipconfig -t 15 eth0
# echo nameserver 192.168.0.101 | resolvconf -a eth0

192.168.0.101 is my home router/dhcp and dns server. eth0 is the only network interface.
Syslinux.cfg boot parameters
Code:

append root=PARTUUID=00060b5d-02 rootwait initrd=/live-boot/initrd.img boot=live config persistence rw-basemount swapon quickreboot noeject autologin showmounts live-media=removable-usb persistence-media=removable-usb ip=frommedia

Code:

# cat /etc/network/interfaces

# The loopback network interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback
iface lo inet6 loopback

# eth0 network interface
auto eth0
allow-hotplug eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp
iface eth0 inet6 manual
    pre-down ip -6 addr flush dev eth0

saintless

PostPosted: Thu 07 Aug 2014, 10:16    Post subject:  

step wrote:
And of course now the live system boots without networking

Try this using save file or remastering before reboot:
Code:
apt-get purge frisbee
apt-get install dhcpcd resolvconf isc-dhcp-client isc-dhcp-common

You should get working wired internet connection after reboot.
Here is how to setup static IP boot (this is the only way I know to make it persistent in Debian):
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=774470#774470
And next post in case you get wireless problem sometimes:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=774472#774472

step

PostPosted: Thu 07 Aug 2014, 10:43    Post subject:  

saintless wrote:

Code:
apt-get purge frisbee
apt-get install dhcpcd resolvconf isc-dhcp-client isc-dhcp-common
Yes, that did it, thank you! And the other links you posted will come handy soon, I'm sure.
Tm_mT

PostPosted: Thu 07 Aug 2014, 17:10    Post subject:  

saintless wrote:
Tm_mT wrote:
Hi, I installed DebianDog and worked...

If you still like to try SMP kernel here is even simpler method:

1. Download this archive and move it inside /live folder where 01-filesystem.squashfs, vmlinuz, initrd.img etc are located:
http://smokey01.com/saintless/DebianDog/System-modules/026-kernel-3.14-Pae.tar.gz
2. Extract the archive.
3. Delete (or move in different folder) /live/vmlinuz1, /live/initrd.img, /live/initrd1.img, /live/initrd1.xz
4. Rename /live/vmlinuz6 to /live/vmlinuz1
/live/initrd61.img to /live/initrd.img
/live/initrd62.img to /live/initrd1.img
/live/initrd63.xz to /live/initrd1.xz
5. Reboot DebianDog without changing anything in menu.list (but do not use Copy to RAM boot yet).

If you decide to try and you like the result I will post simple instruction how to remaster DebianDog by removing the old kernel and using the new one. It is easier than you can imagine Smile

Toni

Should your explanation start with a full, frugal install, from RAM or any other install method?
saintless

PostPosted: Fri 08 Aug 2014, 01:15    Post subject:  

Hi, Tm_mT.
Tm_mT wrote:
Should your explanation start with a full, frugal install, from RAM or any other install method?

It does in the first post:
saintless wrote:

To test DebianDog for first time you need to burn it on CD, use DebDog-installer from the iso to make frugal install, or to extract /live folder on top of a partition or USB and edit manual your boot grub menu.lst
DebianDog has Frugal and Full installer included.

DebianDog has kernel 3.2.0-4-486. If it works for your hardware you need nothing more. If it doesn't, please, read here how to boot easy with different kernel.

If you make Full install there will be no /live folder and no way to load SFS modules anymore (same as in Puppy linux).
Quote:
5. Reboot DebianDog without changing anything in menu.list (but do not use Copy to RAM boot yet).

The reason not to use Copy to Ram is live-boot-2x and live-boot-3x boot codes are setup to copy only one sfs module in Ram. You can use Copy to Ram with porteus-boot for the first test or to change toram=01-filesystem.squashfs to toram only in the boot codes, but since it is only for testing to see if the new kernel works for you I gave the safe option not to use Copy to Ram.
I will add this information in the post for separate kernel modules to make it more clearly.

It could be very well the reason for the problem jangelelcangry has with no working keyborad and mouse.

Edit: The information in separate kernel modules post changed with warning about Copy to Ram:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=774459#774459

Thank you for this question, Tm_mT. Now the information is more complete and this should save some testing troubles in the future.

Toni

saintless

PostPosted: Fri 08 Aug 2014, 05:13    Post subject:  

fredx181 wrote:
Quote:
Uploaded 039-debiandog-skype4.2.0.13-Skype2.2.squashfs sfs with skype 4.2.0.13 and skype 2.2.0.35 (56Mb):

Thanks again Toni, it's working well.

Hi, Fred.
I can't connect this morning. Can you confirm if it still works for you or we can consider the loophole is not there anymore.

Toni

fredx181

PostPosted: Fri 08 Aug 2014, 10:18    Post subject:  

Toni wrote:
I can't connect this morning. Can you confirm if it still works for you or we can consider the loophole is not there anymore.

Yes, I can't connect also with v 2.2 anymore, tried 2.1 and login failed also.
Looks like we are forced to use the latest version only.
I made backup from /root/.Skype earlier, when I copy that to /root I can connect automatically with v 4.2.0.13.
So it seems like when you are already (automatically) logged in it still works.

Fred
saintless

PostPosted: Fri 08 Aug 2014, 10:35    Post subject:  

fredx181 wrote:
So it seems like when you are already (automatically) logged in it still works.

Yes, Fred. I have the same result Smile The problem is how to create and use new account. I think I'm close to fix this but I'm not sure if we need to invest time in this or just leave it. I feel more like helping Skype devs to make better protection than helping linux users. Let them be proud and happy for a while.

Toni
stemsee

PostPosted: Fri 08 Aug 2014, 11:59    Post subject:  

saintless wrote:

If you make Full install there will be no /live folder and no way to load SFS modules anymore (same as in Puppy linux). Toni

You can still install sfs files on a puppy full install, but you cannot unload them! I think it is pup_mode 13 ...or similar.
saintless

PostPosted: Fri 08 Aug 2014, 12:04    Post subject:  

Install means copy the files from sfs in running system instead loading the sfs, Stemsee. It is different. You can do the same opening the sfs file and copy the content in top level. Separate kernel module for DebianDog can be extracted and pasted in Full install, but this is not the way to use them by the instruction in the post and it is not something I recommend for testing different kernel.
fredx181

PostPosted: Fri 08 Aug 2014, 12:13    Post subject:  

Quote:
Yes, Fred. I have the same result Smile The problem is how to create and use new account. I think I'm close to fix this but I'm not sure if we need to invest time in this or just leave it. I feel more like helping Skype devs to make better protection than helping linux users. Let them be proud and happy for a while.

Yes, I guess that's right but I could't resist experimenting with it and found it does work the other way around.
First install (or load sfs) latest version, login automatic and then use ~/.Skype from that to automatic login running version 2. (but let's keep this a secret Smile

Fred
Page 22 of 93 [1387 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, ..., 91, 92, 93 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Jump to: