Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sun 17 Nov 2019, 22:16
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
ROX Filer - Send To
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 2 [21 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2 Next
nic007

PostPosted: Sat 02 Aug 2014, 05:21    Post subject:  ROX Filer - Send To  

How do I get Send To as an item in the ROX's general pop-up menu?
666philb

PostPosted: Sat 02 Aug 2014, 08:42    Post subject:  

hi nic007,

in the rox's right click menu 'open with' is the equivalent of 'send to'

nic007

PostPosted: Sat 02 Aug 2014, 09:08    Post subject:  

666philb wrote:
hi nic007,

in the rox's right click menu 'open with' is the equivalent of 'send to'

Apparently but that is not really what we want. I want an open with and a send to item as there is a difference (if only to keep out the confusion). I see there is a send to folder in .config/rox.sourceforge.net (and also an open with folder) so that is a shortcoming that both are not itemized in the menu in my view. On the other hand, if the send to function does not make provision for sending/moving something to another location (like one can do in windows) then I suppose it will be of no use.
Sylvander

PostPosted: Sat 02 Aug 2014, 11:54    Post subject:  

Xfe includes:
"Open With..."
"Copy to..."
"Move to..."
And the 2nd folder/file pane [pane-2 to pane-3, or pane-3 to pane-2] is the default destination.
Pane-1 = Folder/file hierarchy display.
Pane-2 = Folder/file pane.
Pane-3 = Folder/file pane.

I prefer Xfe to ROX.
bigpup

PostPosted: Sat 02 Aug 2014, 14:30    Post subject:  

In the Rox manual there is a section on send to.
Tells how to use it and customize.

Look in section 6 the menus.

don570

PostPosted: Sat 02 Aug 2014, 16:30    Post subject:  

Note that Barry Kauler fixed a bug in his last??? distros.

He originally insisted that links be put in the OpenWith folder,

but the fix allowed links to be in either SendTo or OpenWith folders.

See my pinstall.sh script in my rightclicks utility package
to see the problems I have had over the past couple of years. Laughing

rightclick pet package available

PostPosted: Sat 02 Aug 2014, 21:54    Post subject:  

The original manual on the ROX website only makes mention of a send to menu (and does not mention open with) which operates like/as open with in Puppy. So when did Puppy decide that send to should be replaced by open with in the menu? And as said before, in the configuration file of ROX there are send to and open with folders. In Puppy 412 these are not linked but it seems as if in latter puppies the send to folder is a sym link to open with. All very strange to me as the most logical thing would be to have a send to as well as open with item in the menu. But then again, as also mentioned before, if only applications can be linked to these two folders then send to's function will be limited to that of opening a file with an application (and not to move an item to another location)... In which case the send to folder should be deleted alltogether as it has no use.
MochiMoppel

PostPosted: Sat 02 Aug 2014, 22:42    Post subject:  

nic007 wrote:
So when did Puppy decide that send to should be replaced by open with in the menu?
Or is the ROX manual outdated? I can see why the "Shift Open" menu item has been replaced with "Open as Text" and - when applied to a folder - "Look Inside" , but "Open with"? Did someone think that "Open with" would be a better label and then symlinked the SendTo folder to a newly created "OpenWith" folder? The result is a big mess. ROX knows nothing about OpenWith and doesn't need it., but it needs SendTo: Delete the SendTo symlink, Shift+Rightclick a file, click Customize...and ROX will immediately create a new SendTo folder.
Quote:
And as said before, in the configuration file of ROX there are send to and open with folders.
Only 1 folder
Quote:
send to's function will be limited to that of opening a file with an application (and not to move an item to another location)... In which case the send to folder should be deleted alltogether as it has no use.
The SendTo symlink can be safely deleted and the OpenWith folder has to be renamed to SendTo. Works perfectly.

BTW: "Send to" would be the correct term. You send files(s) to an application, then the application has to decide what to do with them. When the application is an editor, it will open the files, when the application is a trash application, it will send them to a trash folder, if the application is a rename tool, it will list them and offer to rename them. In each of these cases you send the files (actually the file paths) to an application and let the application do with them whatever they are programmed to do. To "open" would be only one of many possibilities.

Last edited by MochiMoppel on Tue 19 Dec 2017, 09:37; edited 2 times in total
nic007

PostPosted: Sat 02 Aug 2014, 22:59    Post subject:  

There are definitely two folders, send to and open with, in the puppies I use (Puppy 412 and Wary 539). I prefer to have a send to and open with item in my menu (like with windows, although send to will be limited in ROX in comparison to the use as in windows). Is there a way to get both items in the menu?
MochiMoppel

PostPosted: Mon 04 Aug 2014, 09:34    Post subject:  

nic007 wrote:
There are definitely two folders, send to and open with, in the puppies I use (Puppy 412 and Wary 539).

I dusted off my oldest Puppy: Definitely only one folder in Puppy 4.20 (/root/.config/rox.sourceforge.net/OpenWith). If you found 2 you may be so kind and post the full path and tell us what they contain.

What is now the SendTo folder was called OpenWith in Puppy 4.2. This explains the current SendTo symlink to OpenWith, which maintains compatibility with older version.

Quote:
Is there a way to get both items in the menu?
You can always roll your own. ROX is Open Source. I still have no clue what you are trying to achieve.
nic007

PostPosted: Mon 04 Aug 2014, 11:18    Post subject:  

MochiMoppel wrote:
nic007 wrote:
There are definitely two folders, send to and open with, in the puppies I use (Puppy 412 and Wary 539).

I dusted off my oldest Puppy: Definitely only one folder in Puppy 4.20 (/root/.config/rox.sourceforge.net/OpenWith). If you found 2 you may be so kind and post the full path and tell us what they contain.

What is now the SendTo folder was called OpenWith in Puppy 4.2. This explains the current SendTo symlink to OpenWith, which maintains compatibility with older version.

Quote:
Is there a way to get both items in the menu?
You can always roll your own. ROX is Open Source. I still have no clue what you are trying to achieve.

Attached a zip file containing screenshots of the folders in question. The folders in wary seems to contain the same. In wary send to is also a symlink to open with (perhaps then renamed to send to). In both these puppies the item in the menu is open with and not send to. I'm looking for open with and send to similarly to the use in Windows (in Windows send to can move an item to another location on the storage medium). However, if the usage of open with and send to is exactly the same in puppy then it would be useless to have both the items in the menu
MochiMoppel

PostPosted: Tue 05 Aug 2014, 22:32    Post subject:  

nic007 wrote:
I'm looking for open with and send to similarly to the use in Windows
If you look closely, you have it already. The concepts are the same, implementation is a bit different. Where you have a submenu "Open With" in Windows to present type-specific choices for a file, Puppy puts the choices right on top of the menu. No extra menu, saves you 1 click!

What Windows calls "Send To" is - unfortunately - called "Open WIth " in Puppy. And what you get in Puppy as default is a mess of shortcuts. None of these applications - maybe with the exception of PupZip and Bcrypt - should be there. They can handle only certain MIME types and should be placed into their respective MIME type folders. I've added Trash, which makes perfect sense there and strangely is not included in the default, and 2 scripts which accept any file type. Feels almost like Windows Very Happy
Win_Puppy_OpenWith_SendTo.png
 Description   
 Filesize   127.5 KB
 Viewed   337 Time(s)

Win_Puppy_OpenWith_SendTo.png

nic007

PostPosted: Wed 06 Aug 2014, 04:03    Post subject:  

MochiMoppel wrote:
nic007 wrote:
I'm looking for open with and send to similarly to the use in Windows
If you look closely, you have it already. The concepts are the same, implementation is a bit different. Where you have a submenu "Open With" in Windows to present type-specific choices for a file, Puppy puts the choices right on top of the menu. No extra menu, saves you 1 click!

What Windows calls "Send To" is - unfortunately - called "Open WIth " in Puppy. And what you get in Puppy as default is a mess of shortcuts. None of these applications - maybe with the exception of PupZip and Bcrypt - should be there. They can handle only certain MIME types and should be placed into their respective MIME type folders. I've added Trash, which makes perfect sense there and strangely is not included in the default, and 2 scripts which accept any file type. Feels almost like Windows Very Happy

So how do I get a sub folder like "my documents" as a destination in the open with (which would make more sense as send to in this scenario) menu?
neerajkolte

PostPosted: Wed 06 Aug 2014, 06:43    Post subject:  

Would this be of any help.
The topic name "Creating Dir that shows as ROX Application, inode/directory?" cought my eye.
But I don't know if that will help or how to do it exactly.

Thanks.

-Neeraj.

“We tend to overestimate the effect of a technology in the short run and underestimate the effect in the long run.”
- Amara’s Law.
MochiMoppel

PostPosted: Wed 06 Aug 2014, 21:41    Post subject:  

nic007 wrote:
So how do I get a sub folder like "my documents" as a destination in the open with

Create a simple script named "my-documents" in folder /root/.config/rox.sourceforge.net/SendTo :
Code:
#!/bin/sh
rsync -a "$@" "/root/my-documents"

For the folder icon: Right-click script file > "Set Icon..." > drag & drop icon /usr/local/lib/X11/pixmaps/folder24.png

Our dear moderator Flash prefers rsync as a copy command to solve issues with the copy order, but of course cp also works.

A tip for keyboard junkies: The default keyboard shortcut for the context menu is "\" (backward slash).
Page 1 of 2 [21 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2 Next
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
Jump to: