Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Fri 04 Sep 2015, 02:07
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
DebianDog - Squeeze
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 10 of 10 [146 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 8, 9, 10
saintless

PostPosted: Wed 06 Aug 2014, 09:20    Post subject:  

Edit:08.08.2014 a bit later: Use old Skype version after 01.08.2014

Edit: 08.14.2014 - Does not work from today. No need to download the modules. I will remove them from the site soon.

Edit: Replaced with a little modified version which works in DebianDog Wheezy and Squeeze.

Uploaded 039-debiandog-skype4.0.0.8-skype2.2.squashfs sfs with skype 4.0.0.8 and skype 2.2.0.35 (53Mb)...

Toni
saintless

PostPosted: Sat 27 Sep 2014, 12:52    Post subject:  

Uploaded new iso with some fixes and newer versions of some programs:

Fixed:
1. Desktop File Editor.
2. New initrd1.xz with systemd boot parameter option.
3. mk-save.gtkdlg + mkpfile.sh now can create up to 20Gb save file for porteus-boot. The old are limited to 2Gb.
4. Flashplayer Choice with changed download location.
5. Some special cleaning inside /var/run and /var/tmp needed for Squeeze version in RemasterCow and RemasterDog.

New added:
1. cowsave script to auto-create proper /live/cow and /live/image links for live-boot-3x
2. mount-wizard.
3. drive-get, smokey-get, GoogleDrive-get - scripts for downloading DebianDog files.

Updated versions:
1. Precord
2. Pavrecord
3. DoMyFile
4. DoMyCommand.
5. apt2sfs
saintless

PostPosted: Tue 14 Oct 2014, 10:01    Post subject:  

New DebianDog-Squeeze-Jwm-Icewm.iso uploaded.

Changes from previous version (mostly latest Wheezy changes - Wheezy both versions will be updated also in the next few days):

1. Compression method changed from xz to gzip for the main module, all available for download squashfs modules and all module creating scripts. Iso size is now 173Mb (or 40Mb bigger just because of compression method change but works well and fast on very old hardware - P-III 600Mhz and 128Mb RAM + 500Mb swap file). It is Debian old-stable system and old program versions and I doubt anyone will use it on modern hardware but in such case it could be easy changed from the user again to maximum xz compressed system.
2. Make Save File - default label option changed to show empty label.
3. New much improved mount-wizard from Sfs and Fred. Old mount wizard available as separate deb package for download and can be installed together with the new one.
4. Frisbee - patched for bash upgrade
5. move-in-crypt - manage encrypted save file utility
6. Auto-fix dependencies after installing deb package script with GUI and right click file(s)/directory option for Rox and XFE.
7. Changes for ffconvert and probepart as separate packages.
8. Improved ffmpeg2sfs.
9. improved mountlink (for porteus boot).
10. New gtkdialog-splash version.
11. Added pppoe and pppoeconf.
12. Improved /opt/bin/mnt-backing script.
13. Custom compiled pup-volume-monitor (the previous one was not working for porteus-boot with encrypted save file. Now works).
14. Uploaded DEVX squashfs module for download.
15. Rox-filer changed to version 2.11

saintless

PostPosted: Tue 03 Feb 2015, 03:21    Post subject:  

New DebianDog-Squeeze uploaded here.
Almost all updates from Wheezy version added.

Changes:
1. edit-sfs
2. Security fixes for wget and bash. For old iso version both available for download bash_4.1-3+deb6u2_i386-security-fix-debian-lts.deb, wget_1.12-2.2_i386.deb
3. Small configuration changes for mtpaint and jwm-theme-change in Jwm version.
4. Added LTS Squeeze repository. You can upgrade the system from time to time to get the latest official fixes.
5. RemasterCow with deleted (whiteout) files record option.
6. Replace mnt-img with filemnt in Jwm version with this configuration.
7. apt2sfs - added np-dpkg-registration by default (makes possible to update dpkg status with the included programs) and checking for dpkg errors (like not enough free space to extract packages).
8. loadmodule + initrd1.img - moded to support whiteout (deleted) files by default and replacing initrd1.img in separate kerenel modules + replacing initrd1.xz with systemd boot option.
9. Improved portablesfs-loadsfs-fuse.deb. More information here.
10. Reinstall all packages converted from Puppy with moded version to prevent later conflicts with official deb packages and edit all packages on the site (included, extra, testing...). Especially frisbee and sns.
11. Replace included zenity-portable with deb package conflicting with later installed zenity versions. Why we need this change read here.
12. apt-get upgrade
13. apt-get install libc6-i686
14. Fixed /opt/bin/loadsfs with desktop icon for drag and drop.
15. Install parcellite with startup links in $HOME/Startup
16. Power button to shutdown computer and PrintScreen starting scrotdlg.
17. Include testing chrootin script in /opt/bin/special useful for full install.
18. Install new gsu and add group wheel and menu entry for activate/deactivate password prompt on shutdown for user account.
19. Yad-spalsh message - add in /usr/local/bin fo use with yad scripts in the future instead gtkdialog-splash. Download deb package here.
20. Remove cow-nosave, cow-save-part and cow-save-file from /opt/bin. The scripts are replaced from cowsave.
21. Flashplayerchoice, change-netmanager and some other scripts need fixing to work with new yad-gsu.
22. New gsu deb package with 3 different gsu scripts + debdognew.zip to extract in /opt/docs. Installing gsu will search for this file and use the correct gsu for older DD versions. This is compatibility solution for some scripts in old DD versions. New DebianDog packages should work with any older or remastered DD version.
23. Script for checking free space in save file and popup warning for less than 30Mb This number can be changed easy from the user. The script goes in /root/Startup, /home/puppy/Startup and /ets/skel/Startup
24. New save2flash and snapmergepuppy scripts.
25. For Jwm version only - adding MJWM as third menu method. Reads files for each user account from $HOME/.local/share/applications + option to configure reading desktop files from any other directory.
26. Some more improvements from Fred for apt2sfs and ffmpeg2sfs.
27: Small fix for debdog frugall installers.
28. yad-splash and gtkdialog-splash permission change in /tmp for multiuser - added in gtkdialog and yad-splash deb packages for reinstalling.
29. Fixes for full installer.
30. changes in some xterm depending scripts here, here.
31. Remove obshutdown and move 021-apps-porteus content in main 01-filesystem.squashfs module.
32. New gsu scripts to export /opt/lib and /usr/local/lib using sudo. - gsu deb package includes the new scripts. This is needed for portablesfs script but Fred is also modding portablesfs for better multiuser support - read here.
33. apt-get install deb-multimedia-keyring
34. apt-get install unionfs-fuse - needed for new portablesfs chroot option.
35. portablesfs-loadsfs-fuse deb package + right click options for rox, xfe, thunar loadsfs-fuse for DD full install

All available Squeeze squashfs modules work with the latest iso version.
sketchman

PostPosted: Mon 02 Mar 2015, 21:47    Post subject:  

BIG thanks for this. Just what I've been looking for.
saintless

PostPosted: Tue 03 Mar 2015, 03:49    Post subject:  

Hi, Sketchman.
Nice to see I'm not the only one still using old-stable Squeeze Smile
Just for information you may get some problems installing compiling tools with apt-get or Synaptic with DebianDog-Squeeze because of some upgraded libs from Wheezy version.
To compile programs use the DEVX file from here:
http://smokey01.com/saintless/DebianDog-Squeeze/System-Modules/
Or just install and use aptitude after update:
Code:
apt-get install aptitude
aptitude update
aptitude install package-name

It will give you the option to downgrade what is needed to install compiling tools keeping the system in shape.

Toni

dancytron

PostPosted: Wed 29 Jul 2015, 17:29    Post subject:  

Just wanted to note that I installed this on my old military (actually probably police) surplus IX-250 Itronix Gobook.

Celeron 800 (P-III) processor, 512 meg of RAM. Original operating system is Windows 2000.

Touchpad worked otb. Touchscreen does not work properly, but I don't use it so it doesn't matter.

Got graphics acceleration working by installing standard mesa files. Don't have in front of me exactly what they were, but will look them up if anyone needs to know.

Sound did not work otb, because proprietary driver (Maestro 3 from ESS) not available. Loaded the porteus driver squashfs file from earlier wheezy Debian Dog development and that fixed it. (this might have also helped with the graphics, not sure). Will try later to see if maybe I can copy over just individual driver.

Of all the Puppies and Debian Dog Wheezy I've tried on this laptop, this performs the best. Browser is useable. It plays SD type videos pretty close to flawlessly, which I don't think it has done with any other OS.

As usual, great job.

Dan
saintless

PostPosted: Sat 01 Aug 2015, 12:37    Post subject:  

Thanks Dan.

I use dd-squeeze as my main system and I agree the browser is still usable.
I guess you downloaded libgl1-mesa-dri and the porteus drivers are in 031-firmware-porteus.squashfs from here:
http://smokey01.com/saintless/DebianDog/System-modules/
Maybe I will update this iso one more time in the future with some fixes in the special utilities from Wheezy and Jessie.

Toni

Ether

PostPosted: Fri 28 Aug 2015, 18:23    Post subject:  

Just a short post to report a success story with DD Squeeze.

I was just given a 15-year-old Dell Latitude CPx laptop with a completely dead battery, a 600MHz CPU, and 385MB RAM.

I wanted to see if I could keep this thing out of the landfill by using it as a short-term loaner for web access for people who bring their Windoze PCs to me for repair.

I tried Lucid Puppy but it didn't have the drivers for the ethernet card.

I tried DD Jessie but it didn't have the drivers for the display.

I tried Wary Puppy and it "worked" but used so much memory that the browser was unusably slow. That, plus I couldn't get the browser to stop popping up dozens of "certificate" error windows (caused by the system clock being wrong because of the dead battery).

Then I tried DD Squeeze. It booted up and connected to the internet automatically and instantly . Iceweasel didn't complain about the system date error, and displayed web pages about as well as one could expect with 385MB RAM and a 600MHz CPU. Once loaded, web pages scrolled smoothly.

Nice work, Toni !

Last edited by Ether on Sat 29 Aug 2015, 09:59; edited 1 time in total
saintless

PostPosted: Sat 29 Aug 2015, 09:51    Post subject:  

Nice to read the Squeeze version works well for others.

New iso uploaded and first post information updated.
DebianDog-Squeeze-hybrid-29.08.2015.iso - 157Mb.

The older iso is still available for download here.

Changes in the new version:

1. Updated yad and some special DD scripts with lates changes from Fred for Wheezy and Jessie.
2. Included menu-openbox from Fred with localisation support (the default menu displays categories and menu entries only in English). In case you like to change the localisation type menu-openbox in terminal or start it from System -> Menu Openbox.
3. Added DebianDog-Squeeze repository in sources list as in Wheezy/Jessie. New packages and fixes will be provided with apt-get/synaptic.
4. The included packages upgraded to the latest versions.
5. The iso changed to hybrid as DebianDog-Jessie and MintPup.
6. Added fixes from William in initrd1.xz and some scripts for sd-card install (I can't test sd-card install but it should work).
7. Some upgraded libs from Wheezy changed with Squeeze versions which made possible to remove some dev packages not needed for regular use and the iso size is smaller now. This also fixed the problem mentioned in this post.
8. Some small and not important configuration changes for Icewm menu setup and other scripts.
9. Added Dillo as alternative web browser for very old computers (dillo is not available in official squeeze repository).
10. Special portable DebDog-Squeeze-installer (without systemd boot menu entries) available for download here and how to use instruction.
11. Included clearRAM script in case you have very old machine (128 - 256Mb RAM).
Run it in terminal from time to time and the system will work faster. For example this is the result running the script after fresh boot without starting any applications (256Mb RAM computer):
Code:
clearRAM
This script will clear cached memory and free up your ram.

At the moment you have 110 MiB cached and 34 MiB free memory.
This freed 128 MiB, so now you have 162 MiB of free RAM.

More tips from William read here.

I guess this is the last DD-Squeeze iso version. The main reason to update the iso is adding sd-card install support and special repository for installing fixed and updated packages with apt-get (synaptic).

Toni

saintless

PostPosted: Yesterday, at 14:44    Post subject: Upgraded VirtualBox in squeeze-backports repository issue:  

In Squeeze backports repository virtualbox and virtualbox-dkms packages are upgraded to version 4.1.18 and loading vboxdrv module could fail at first:
Code:
puppy@debian:~$ sudo apt-get update
puppy@debian:~$ sudo apt-get install linux-headers-$(uname -r)
puppy@debian:~$ sudo apt-get install virtualbox-dkms
DKMS: install Completed.
Stopping VirtualBox kernel modules.
Starting VirtualBox kernel modulesmodprobe vboxdrv failed. Please use 'dmesg' to find out why ... failed!
 failed!
invoke-rc.d: initscript virtualbox, action "restart" failed.
puppy@debian:~$

I guess it is because the upgraded virtualbox packages in squeeze-backports repo.
To fix this type in terminal " sudo depmod -a" and restart virtualbox init script:
Code:
puppy@debian:~$ sudo depmod -a
puppy@debian:~$ sudo /etc/init.d/virtualbox restart
Stopping VirtualBox kernel modules.
Starting VirtualBox kernel modules.
puppy@debian:~$

How to install virtualbox post updated with this extra step required for DD-Squeeze.
07-virtualbox-light-squeeze.squashfs module works too (loading and typing start-virtualbox) but it is older version virtualbox-4.0.10.
In case someone needs newer version virtualbox-5.0.2 deb for Squeeze from here works also in DD-Squeeze:
http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/5.0.2/virtualbox-5.0_5.0.2-102096~Debian~squeeze_i386.deb

Toni

Page 10 of 10 [146 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 8, 9, 10
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Jump to: