Should Studio 13.37 v2 be free? (answered: No)

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
l0wt3ch

#21 Post by l0wt3ch »

No, not enough to pay rent.

But what are we without hope?

ciento

#22 Post by ciento »

I think a lot of small business success is based on finding needs and desires, and providing the related products and services. Musicians have shown they want very little involvement with the OS, but are willing to mud-wrestle with daw after daw after daw, in search of the muddy grail.
And pay $$$ repeatedly for the priviledge. :lol:

The latest Phoronics tests show great progress in linux video performance,
and bitwig is bringing some talented linux audio people out of the shadows.
Uefi has not proven to be much more than an annoyance, and M-soft
is preparing for the worst, 118,000 down, and the survivors quaking
in their cubicles.

0Sex seems committed to sloth-like speed, cutesy icons, and Bloomberg style hardware pricing, so there should be some niches to fill, made affordable by lessening the need for the latest hardware, and waiving the OS markup. Precision targeting of potential customers will be crucial,
find them where they are at ease, and have free time, and fire up a demo that draws them in, before they know what's hit them 8)

darkcity

#23 Post by darkcity »

Would it be possible to code woof to be able to build an audio pup along the lines of studio?

If puppy was setup up as a foundation there could be a bounty system for people coding certain elements. That way you would get some financial reward and the code would be free available (also the whole pup eco system would benefit).

Or a site like the following could be used
https://freedomsponsors.org/
https://www.bountysource.com/

Of course one problem is communicating the advantage of open source to potential customers. 8)

ciento

#24 Post by ciento »

stemsee wrote:@ciento

I think you will find that the majority of the 18,000 to be laid off are from microsoft's new purchase, Nokia company!
The Nokia refugees will probably be rehired, with fewer hours,
and lower pay, to help the M get back into the phone sector. The damages now being prepared for by the horde of M-soft temp contractors, while not labelled layoffs, will be far greater, and will save the corporation a fortune, and all rehires will have to pass the obamacare sniff test. Companies just can't afford paying a massive federal bureaucracy on top of the already expensive insurance and medical layers. A company either cajoles obama for an unequal exemption, or restructures it's workforce to dodge compliance, or some combination of the two.
It's spelled C-a-m-p-a-ig-n C-o-n-n-t-r-i-b-u-t-i-o-n-s
The M has 100,000 low-tier, and temp employees, who will be
booted off the gravy train, and they are grabbing their fiscal ankles,
as we speak.

Deacon

Sell it--

#25 Post by Deacon »

Sell the upgrade. Free old version with a splash screen explaining and offering a better one at your site.

And I know you weren't asking but--

Old version w/splash will increase your downloads and visibility. Put that, and your new version explanation, on front page.

I know that site theme. Very nice. But you will need a better SEO plugin, social media. Site hard to find. Add "Studio Linux" the keywords and your site description "studio on a usb stick" to the front page.

Free isn't the only thing that generates buzz- but you can create buzz around your product. Yes, it is a linux distro. But it's really a studio on a stick, and you can generate buzz on that alone.

OK I'll shut up now

EDIT: I once did a respin; it got noticed on Distrowatch, and a few thousand downloads.
Never made a dime. If you have, you already know something about what you're doing.

l0wt3ch

#26 Post by l0wt3ch »

Thanks, Deacon.

I would like to make some changes to my website. Wish me luck!

Deacon

#27 Post by Deacon »

l0wt3ch wrote:Thanks, Deacon.

I would like to make some changes to my website. Wish me luck!
There is no luck, just the right keywords.

I'm volunteering help if you need.

l0wt3ch

#28 Post by l0wt3ch »

OK! This has been up for 10 days, and it's time to close the poll. The results are (in order of appearance):

FOR: cthisbear 8-bit RSH puppyluvr ciento mcewanw stemsee Deacon
AGAINST: l0wt3ch starhawk matiasbatero darkcity

The yeas have it, 2 to 1.

So there will be another commercial release of Studio 13.37. Stay tuned to this channel for further details. :D

ozsouth

Implied Warranty

#29 Post by ozsouth »

You will need a disclaimer releasing all contributors from implied warranty.

l0wt3ch

#30 Post by l0wt3ch »

technosaurus

#31 Post by technosaurus »

$9.99? if you want audiophiles to take it seriously -> $499.99 with a $99.99 sale price and a 50% discount for students.

If you have original code/whatever included with it, one model that I have seen to raise funds is to have a kickstarter style campaign to release code, artwork, multimedia to the public domain once $XXX is reached.
Check out my [url=https://github.com/technosaurus]github repositories[/url]. I may eventually get around to updating my [url=http://bashismal.blogspot.com]blogspot[/url].

stemsee

#32 Post by stemsee »

l0wt3ch wrote:My kernels are often updated, but I don't advertise it because there's no easy way to upgrade,
Checkout github woof-ce kernel kit. Using fatdog style initrd and vmlinuz and kernel-modules.sfs (zdrv_*.sfs) Shinobar's initrd is better; is the easiest way to upgrade kernels!

Also note some recent MBs do not boot off of usb-3.0 dongles in usb-2.0 sockets but are readable after boot... in case!

l0wt3ch

#33 Post by l0wt3ch »

technosaurus wrote:$9.99? if you want audiophiles to take it seriously -> $499.99 with a $99.99 sale price and a 50% discount for students.
Thanks. Pricing is a good question. I'm going to change the price of the download version to something a bit higher, but less than half the price of the usb version. I actually really like your suggestion, and imagine you're right, but...

l0wt3ch

#34 Post by l0wt3ch »

stemsee wrote:Checkout github woof-ce kernel kit. Using fatdog style initrd and vmlinuz and kernel-modules.sfs (zdrv_*.sfs) Shinobar's initrd is better; is the easiest way to upgrade kernels!
I'll look into it!

Thanks!

stemsee

#35 Post by stemsee »

I am trying to buy the digital download but paypal says the website has a problem!

l0wt3ch

#36 Post by l0wt3ch »

Please wait, the iso hasn't been uploaded yet!

edit: I've changed the website to say "coming soon".

darkcity

#37 Post by darkcity »

l0wt3ch wrote:OK! This has been up for 10 days, and it's time to close the poll. The results are (in order of appearance):

So there will be another commercial release of Studio 13.37. Stay tuned to this channel for further details. :D
Please don't misrepresent me. My post was neither a nay or a yay, but a comment.

Deacon

#38 Post by Deacon »

l0wt3ch wrote:OK! This has been up for 10 days, and it's time to close the poll. The results are (in order of appearance):

Nice! And the video is great! -- just sent you a message.

Pelo

new version 2017

#39 Post by Pelo »

new version 2017
Sure i will not pay for computing. just for wireless ADSL is enough, and for a brand new battery, quite expensive.

bigpup

#40 Post by bigpup »

GPL2 and 3 apply.
It is that simple.
Follow and comply with the requirements.

As to paying for it.
This is a good example of what is considered acceptable to charge for the service of providing Linux OS's
Osdisc
https://www.osdisc.com/products/puppy

Red Hat is the big Linux OS that charges money.
But you are paying for technical support not the OS and other services that require physical servers, repositories, cloud storage, etc.... that cost money to provide.
A company using Red Hat is basically paying Red HAT to be their computer technical department.

The free to use version is CentOS. It is exactly the same as Redhat Enterprise Linux, except branding information and subscription has been removed and CentOS community re-pack the RHEL packages into CentOS.
That thing is a 4.3GB iso :shock: :roll:
Well, the small version is only 998MB :lol:
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)