What USB Puppy version for Toshiba Satellite?

Booting, installing, newbie
ardvark

#21 Post by ardvark »

Hi....

A lack of computer knowledge is not an indicator of intelligence. :wink:

Did you already install this program or is this what you get when you try to bring the program up?

Regards...

I.Christiani

What Puppy Linux operating System for Toshiba Satellite

#22 Post by I.Christiani »

Hi Ardvark,
Thanks for responding.
Wel,I had it but now it is gone because I have shut down the computer.
When I came back it was not there anymore

ardvark

#23 Post by ardvark »

Hi...

Try installing this version of Skype. However, please note what I said to this person. :wink:

Regards...

I.Christiani

#24 Post by I.Christiani »

Thanks again.
I did what you wrote me and could save this time Skype-4.2.0.13-precise.sfs and Skype-4.2.0.13-precise.gz;.I tried to install it but I get in the SFS window "fatal:failed to appens'/initrd/pup-r04' to uniofs" or commands line utilities "unsquashfs and mkssquashfs".I just don't undersand what to do next and next and next. It sounds all like foreign vegetables to me !I have saved the Skype downloads in the Files and they are there if I boot up.I could also drag them to the desktop.
Also Quickpet is not responding .On every thing I click it ask me if i like to install and i click yeeeeeeeeeeeeessssssssssss.Then I get every time the cool puppy manager "Fatal:'root/skype-4.2.0.11.precise.sfs'not found.
And with all the packaches from Quickpet it sounds it failed to install.
I can get in Opera and Sea monkey and get my mail and browse the web .
Lost again.
Please save me from this mess.
Lost pup.

ardvark

#25 Post by ardvark »

Hi...

Perhaps this thread might be of help. Please read the entire thread carefully before installing anything. From what I understand, version 4.2 doesn't work any more. I just learned that here. :wink:

Regards...

I.Christiani

What USB Puppy version for Toshiba Satellite ?

#26 Post by I.Christiani »

Ardvark, Ardvark I am trilled !
Got Skype,yesssssssssss.It took for ever and I tried all kind off tricks.
I think I got it in with a download of Skype-4.3.0.37-w5.pet.Also I downloade pulseaudio-2.0.w53.pet.The last installed successfully but without 'menu"???
I am not shure what all did the trick but I could save Skype.It is in menu under internet.Could till now not install a icon on the desktop but that is for know no concern.
I can get all my usely Skype features(contacts,account etc.)I called my phone and it was ringing but I got no sound.The speaker symbol on the right (under) of taskbar is 100 % up.Where do I have to start digging ?(You know by now that I will not give up digging and I will find it ,dig,dig ,dig !!! )
HELP , where and how do I start ???
Thanks again and I hope we can Skype very soon !
Yoehooooeeeee .IIIIIOOOOOO

ardvark

#27 Post by ardvark »

Hi...

Ok, hopefully this page might be the solution to your sound issue. You can try installing the "libpng14.so.14.pet" and the top of the page and see if that works or you can uninstall the version of Skype I showed you and try Oscar's version here. If you try this option, you will probably need to uninstall your version of PulseAudio and install the version Oscar mentions, which is also here.

Let us know how it turns out. :)

Regards...

I.Christiani

What Puppy Linux operating System for Toshiba Satellite

#28 Post by I.Christiani »

Thanks again.
It will take a while because I will be away for a couple of days.But as soon I get the sound I will let you know.Thanks for all your help.

ardvark

#29 Post by ardvark »

You're welcome. :)

I.Christiani

#30 Post by I.Christiani »

Back in Business
Yes,till now that was simple,simple. Yeessss We have now Skype.(even found out how to get a Skype icon on the desktop !!!!).Thank you for helping me .
Artvark it really was easy to follow.So I Skype d with my own phone.All is good .The sound on both sides is good.
Now if I Skype from computer to computer the following happens.
I can hear the other party good.With and without video.
The other party can hear me good as I don't put the video on.
They tell me that it comes in faces and bubble babbel Donald Duck s quirking sound !!!! In other words they hear me but can't make up what I am saying.
Is there something to do about this problem ??
I tried ' Retrovol sound mixer " but that does didn't help to solve the problem.
The Skype " echo test " works.I can hear the test voice and I also hear my own voice after the recording.
What is wrong with this Puppy ?
Ohhhh,thanks again so mucho.

ardvark

#31 Post by ardvark »

Hi...

I don't think this a problem with Puppy but with Skype itself. I don't know that much about this particular piece of software since I've never actually used it but perhaps the Skype community could be of more help here (unless someone who is a lot more knowledgeable chimes in.) Please see here (you might need to register,) and then choose "Linux" under "Skype for computer and Xbox." :)

Let us know how it goes...

Regards

I.Christiani

What USB Puppy version for Toshiba Satellite

#32 Post by I.Christiani »

I don't want to hijack this post further for unrelated questions.I will look further in Skype as you suggested or post a new post for this problem.I want to thank everybody for the quick and good help .Without you I would still sit with a none working computer.I learned a lot.Thank you so much.Special thanks to Ardvark.You help was super.Thanks again.

ardvark

Re: What USB Puppy version for Toshiba Satellite

#33 Post by ardvark »

I.Christiani wrote:I don't want to hijack this post further for unrelated questions.I will look further in Skype as you suggested or post a new post for this problem.I want to thank everybody for the quick and good help .Without you I would still sit with a none working computer.I learned a lot.Thank you so much.Special thanks to Ardvark.You help was super.Thanks again.
You're more than welcome, glad I could help. :)

If you want to post back with a link to your Skype community thread, I would be happy to see (or watch) how this develops, although I don't have an account there. :)

Regards...

I.Christiani

#34 Post by I.Christiani »

Of Course I will report back if I got the problem solved..You can follow the discussion in Skype - Linux.You will see "Video call and sound problem " By "e.waggelwater" .Till now no reply's.

ardvark

Re: What USB Puppy version for Toshiba Satellite ?

#35 Post by ardvark »

I.Christiani wrote:Of Course I will report back if I got the problem solved..You can follow the discussion in Skype - Linux.You will see "Video call and sound problem " By "e.waggelwater" .Till now no reply's.
Hi...

Thank you. :)

Just as a suggestion, I would edit your post to include the name "Puppy Linux" right before the word "Precise -5.7-retro.iso." It may be that not everyone on that forum automatically knows that Precise is a version of Puppy. Also, it might help to include the output of...

Code: Select all

lspci -nnk
so that folks have a better idea of what hardware and drivers you're working with.

Last but not least, unless it is forbidden on that particular forum, create another post that just says "bump" to bring your thread at the very beginning again (at the top of the page.) A little persistence can't hurt. :wink:

For anyone who is interested, here is a quick link to the discussion over at Skype. If you have an solution or an idea, I'm sure the OP would appreciate your help. :)

Regards...

mcewanw

DebianDog has deb package of working Skype

#36 Post by mcewanw »

Toni (saintless) the team leader of DebianDog has sorted out the issues of using Skype version 4.2.0.11, which does not require pulse audio and should therefore sort out any sound issues (assuming normal alsa sound is operating correctly on your system). For that and other reasons, you might be better off using DebianDog, which looks and feels much like any traditional Puppy and is about the same download size (or slightly smaller than recent Pups).

One advantage of using DebianDog is that it is completely compatible with Debian so uses Debian package manager system with access to full Debian repository for all that distribution's well-tested applications. It can also load Puppy sfs files though. Like a traditional Puppy, DebianDog runs as root user by default but has the additional advantage that it is also capable of running fully multiuser, which also makes it easier to get some apps (which won't run as root) working. The DebianDog thread, with download links, is here:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=93225

Near the bottom of the above thread you will find the download link for DebianDog, which for the jwm (Joe's Window Manager) version is here:

http://smokey01.com/saintless/DebianDog ... _icewm.iso

Best to read the whole of that first DebianDog thread post though, prior to installation. There is a utility for creating a usb bootable version provided in the DebianDog system.
-----

Toni's fixes for non-pulse-audio Skype are discussed in the following thread:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=95202

William
github mcewanw

I.Christiani

What USB Puppy version for Toshiba Satelllite ?

#37 Post by I.Christiani »

Okee " Ardvark " , I posted a new post like you suggested. Lets see If there is somebody who has a solution .
I went in "here ' and I read " Mcewanw " answer, but that is all way above my head. Sorry,keep it simple for me , because I get lost very quickly !
But thanks again for the great help.

ardvark

Re: What USB Puppy version for Toshiba Satelllite ?

#38 Post by ardvark »

I.Christiani wrote:and I read " Mcewanw " answer, but that is all way above my head. Sorry,keep it simple for me , because I get lost very quickly !
Hi...

Just as another idea, it might be worth your while to replace your hard drive and put Puppy on it and hire a technician who is (very) proficient with Linux to work out the problems you're experiencing with Skype. :)

Also, you misunderstood what I meant by providing the output of "lspci -nnk." You need to actually open a terminal, type in the command (it will give you a bunch of code,) and then copy and paste that information in your post at Skype. You just put in the command. :wink:

An easy way to do that is to open the Puppy Package Manager, search for a program called "Sakura," install and use that as your terminal.

Regards...

mcewanw

#39 Post by mcewanw »

I.Christiani wrote:Okee " Ardvark " , I posted a new post like you suggested. Lets see If there is somebody who has a solution .
I went in "here ' and I read " Mcewanw " answer, but that is all way above my head. Sorry,keep it simple for me , because I get lost very quickly !
But thanks again for the great help.
Hi again,

The following link provides sfs of previous Skype which does not need pulse audio and work fine on most Puppies:

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 755#795755

If you know how to load an sfs in your pup and adjust your normal alsa sound configuration (which you would always need to do anyway) then you will hopefully have no further problems if you use the sfs for the distribution you have.

Cheers, William
github mcewanw

ardvark

#40 Post by ardvark »

mcewanw wrote:The following link provides sfs of previous Skype which does not need pulse audio and work fine on most Puppies:

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 755#795755
Hi....

From what I understand, 4.2 no longer works with Skype itself, hence my previous instructions to I.Christiani to upgrade to 4.3. Please see here. :wink:

Regards...