What USB Puppy version for Toshiba Satellite?

Booting, installing, newbie
I.Christiani

#1 Post by I.Christiani »

I would like to "install" (USB) A Puppy Linux operating System.There are a lot of possibility's out there .Very confusing for me because I am very new in this.I don't know nothing about "Kennel numbers and Ram ???I would like to ask if any one can recommend what version(Linux,Ubuntu,Puppy Linux,Slacko Puppy,Precice Puppy,Lucid Puppy,Race Puppy,Wary Puppy Querky Puppy ????) I should download on a DVD for my laptop .( the hard drive is broken )
I will use it mostly for Web browsing,E mail,pictures and Skype.
Never for movies or music.

Toshiba Satellite C855D S5232
Processor Type AMD E-series
Dual core processor (count 2)
Processor speed 1.40 GHz
Graphics Processing Type DDR3SDRAM
Memory Ram 4 GB
Hard Drive Capacity 320GB
Operating system was Windows 7
Screen Resolution 1366x768
Computer memory type DDR3 SDRAM
Optical drive type DVD-R , DVD+R.
Hard drive is broken.

Thank you.

dancytron

#2 Post by dancytron »

Any of the latest puppies should be fine. Precise 5.71 or the latest Slacko are the mainline ones. Stay away from any of the cutting edge ones that say "beta" or "alpha" or "testing" or something similar.

Or you could try Fatdog.

They are free to try, so if you have hardware issues (like sound or wifi issues), don't be afraid to just try a different one.

ardvark

#3 Post by ardvark »

Hi...

Welcome to the forums :)

With your specs, the latest versions of Puppy should do just fine. I prefer Precise as it allows access to all of the software available in Ubuntu's repositories. :wink:

As far as hardware compatibility, I would need to see the chipset information. Since you are wanting to run from a DVD, hopefully there will be the appropriate drivers already within the kernel. If not, you might need to try the various versions to see what works best. Also, you will be installing software constantly! Skype, e-mail clients like Thunderbird and photo editing software (that I'm aware of) are not included and need to be downloaded and installed separately. I know that Precise 5.6.1 (and I assume 5.7.1) comes with the Seamonkey browser.

Regards...
Last edited by ardvark on Thu 31 Jul 2014, 19:41, edited 1 time in total.
Our Lord and Savior [url=http://peacewithgod.jesus.net/]Jesus Christ[/url] loves and cares about you most of all!

PLEASE READ! You don't have to end up [url=http://www.spiritlessons.com/Documents/BillWiese_23MinutesInHell_Text.htm]here![/url]

dancytron

#4 Post by dancytron »

The other advantage of Precise is that there is a Quickpet for it, which is a collection of already tested and ready to go applications to download, which should get you up and running faster.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=83642

adam500

#5 Post by adam500 »

I can verify that precise puppy 5.7.1 comes with the Seamonkey browser, it also has the Opera browser.

But to be honest, I was much happier with Precise Puppy after I got Firefox for it and got the add-ons I was used to.

Seamonkey had a limited number of add-ons available.

ferretgrandpa

#6 Post by ferretgrandpa »

I would almost suggest Puppy 5.2.8, It has always run extremely well on my 'amd' laptops, and it has everything preloaded that I.Christiani seems to be wanting.
Other than that, go for the latest, I'm running Slacko 5.7.0 PAE on my Satellite C55t, but I have intel chips and it is a bit new for the 5.2.8

Tom

As for the Firefox, I keep a selection of older firefox pets, and they are available with all the puppy files @ http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/

I.Christiani

What Puppy Linux operating System for Toshiba Satellite

#7 Post by I.Christiani »

Thank you all so much for the amazing quick reply.
You narrowed it down for me to Precise 5.7.1. and Puppy 5.2.8.

Precise 5.7.1 because it allows me to all Ubuntu software what I understood has a lot software possibilities.

Puppy 5.2.8 because it always runs extremely good on your AMD laptops and has every thing preloaded what I want.

Ardvard asked me for the hardware compatibility,"chip set"information.As I wrote , computer language is chinese for me.I love to find out to get the best O.S. for this computer.Where can I find this kind of "chip set " info ?What the heck is "Chip set" ( Kernels,central Core,drivers ????) Is all ???????? for me.Sorry.

I appreciate very much all your time and effort to help me.
You may call me a " Dummie Dog "

ardvark

Re: What Puppy Linux operating System for Toshiba Satellite

#8 Post by ardvark »

I.Christiani wrote:Ardvard asked me for the hardware compatibility,"chip set"information.As I wrote , computer language is chinese for me.I love to find out to get the best O.S. for this computer.Where can I find this kind of "chip set " info ?What the heck is "Chip set" ( Kernels,central Core,drivers ????) Is all ???????? for me.
Hi...

You're not dumb, we all start at the beginning and not everyone is created the same when it comes to understanding something. Please don't put yourself down. :)

Here is an article that explains what chips and chipsets are, although, when I say "chipsets," I'm referring to all of the chips that provide basic functions such as video, sound, wireless networking, ethernet, etc. :wink:

"Drivers" is the software that allows the operating system (Puppy Linux, as one example,) to interact with and use these devices. Without these drivers, the operating system wouldn't know what to do with, or possibly even see, a given device.

Hope this helps... :)
Last edited by ardvark on Sun 27 Jul 2014, 16:00, edited 1 time in total.

I.Christiani

#9 Post by I.Christiani »

From what I understand the laptop has E1 Vision AMD (?????)
Is that what we are looking for ?

ardvark

#10 Post by ardvark »

I.Christiani wrote:From what I understand the laptop has E1 Vision AMD (?????)
Is that what we are looking for ?
That is the processor which you normally don't need to worry about when installing an OS. Go ahead and decide on a version of Puppy and run it, we can go from there. :wink:

Regards...

I.Christiani

#11 Post by I.Christiani »

Will this help ? I gotthis from the setup Utility:

CPU Type AMD E1-1200 APU with Radeon (tm) HD Graphics.
CPU Speed 1.40 GHz
HDD/SSD Toshiba MK3275GSX (S1)
Total memory Size 6.20
EC Version 1.10

ardvark

#12 Post by ardvark »

Please see my previous post. :wink:

Bird Dog

What Puppy

#13 Post by Bird Dog »

You'll need to download the Precise 5.7.1 retro iso file http://distro.ibiblio.org/quirky/precise-5.7.1/ (get the md5 sum while your there) from the internet and then burn the iso file to a cd (I like Pburn which is in Precise 5.7.1 retro). You should also check the Md5 sum which you can check after you burn the iso file to a cd.

Thanks BD

gcmartin

#14 Post by gcmartin »

Hello @I.Christiani

@Ardvark, has given you excellent advice and guidance. Others too. I dont have a 32bit preference. Most every PUP is a stable distros.

If you want an PUP that more/most closely matches your Windows7 in functionality and services, use PhatSlacko. It will do just about EVERYTHING out-of-the-box (OOTB) that all Windows/Apple systems do without you ever needing to install or add anything. There are 2 32bit PUPs which OOTB match or exceed Apple-Windows in functionality on the home network; PhatSlacko and EmSee (and there are couple other, too). There is little to nothing that any Windows user would need add for accomplishing everything done in the Apple-Windows arena on their home network.

Download the ISO, burn to a DVD, boot your PC from it!

I.Christiani

#15 Post by I.Christiani »

Thank you ssooooooooooooooooooooooooo much.

I am in. It was a kind off challenge for me but I got the Precise puppy desktop on the broken hard drive. I could download via your advised site .I got both packages Precise 5.7.1-retro.iso and the Md5sum.txt downloaded.
The Md5sum.txt would not want to go on the cd ? I let it be for know. Maybe later , or do I need it now as well.
I am on line know,joehoeeeee !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Could I also use a SD memory Card instead of the CD to boot.
I did not go in Phatslack because first I had to come over the adrenaline shock when I saw the Precise puppy desktop .What is the main difference between Precice Puppy and Phatslack ???
My husband thinks now I am computer smart Puppy. !I still have to tell him how a great support group I have with you all.

Thank you so much

ardvark

#16 Post by ardvark »

I.Christiani wrote:Could I also use a SD memory Card instead of the CD to boot.

Thank you so much
You're welcome, glad I could help. :)

Yes, I've read that you can boot from an SD card if your computer's BIOS sees it as a removable drive and the key word here is "if." However, I've never tried this so I can't confirm anything for you. Some computers are not able to do this.

Take a look at this video to see how this person did it. :wink:

Regards...

Bird Dog

What puppy

#17 Post by Bird Dog »

Hi I Christiani congratulations and well done.The md5 sum is just a set of numbers to check that the download was good. I usually check for it after burning the cd which you can do in Pburn which is in the multimedia folder from the main menu. If everything is working it should be ok but maybe check next time.
Precise puppy is one of our mainline puppy's created by our puppy leader (presently retired) Barry Kauler I was amazed just like you how well it installed and I think you will be just as amazed at how well it runs right out of the box. Precise is my main os and I like to install it on the hard drive so you don't need the cd. You can use the Puppy Universal Installer which is in the setup folder from the main menu (bottom left corner).
Did you use the Puppy Universal Installer or are you running from the cd? You said your hard drive was broken and if it is you will need to continue running from the cd or flash drive and if you want to run from the hard drive you might need to get a new one.

Congrats again and enjoy
Thanks BD

Bird Dog

What usb puppy

#18 Post by Bird Dog »

Hi I Christiani if you do install puppy to your hard drive you will need this update http://shino.pos.to/party/bridge.cgi?pu ... tu8.18.pet
I'm not sure if you can update this if you're running from a cd. Maybe it would update a save file.

Thanks BD

Sky Aisling

#19 Post by Sky Aisling »

Congratulations, I.Christiani and Welcome to the Forum. :)

Here is the Wikipedia explanation of Puppy.
The wiki article has a good overview of Puppy.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puppy_Linux

You don't need a Hard Drive to run a Puppy.
You can use your Live CD to load the Puppy into RAM.
Then, you can use a flash drive to keep your PuppySaveFile.
Pretty cool, huh?

I've had good luck running Puppy-528 on Toshiba's (except for very old Toshibas, like 8-10 years old).

I.Christiani

#20 Post by I.Christiani »

Again thanks.
I have been busy with installing Skype. Like suggested I downloaded
Quickpet and that program looked so cut out for me. The icon is on my desktop and the screen comes up under internet (trala-trala) .I click the Skype icon and then all hell brakes loose.I got a window
Fatal/root/skype-4.2.0.11-precise.sfs. As you know I am not the smartest in the box.I just can't get it to work.I tried trillions things but without success.What is wrong ?
Lost dog !