How to start remote desktop at boot?

Booting, installing, newbie
georg1

How to start remote desktop at boot?

#1 Post by georg1 »

I got one of my relatives who live app 6000 miles from me, so go there and help him when his comp-stuck, is not real option.

Now he has two laptops one with win7 and one win8, and I convinced him to migrate on puppy, but only thing about computers what he know is how to plug to grid and push power ON button.

My job is, some how format this laptops and install puppy from remote location.

My idea is, make iso with included teamviewer, but I dont really know how to do that ?

any ideas or suggestions maybe ?

thank you

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Flash »

If both of his laptops will boot from CD (or DVD), your best option may be to send him a multisession CD (or DVD) that you have configured the way you think he wants. That is, with the programs he would use already installed and configured. A multisession CD (or DVD) might be the simplest and safest way for a beginner to find out about Linux. It will not change anything on his hard disk.

After he's gotten familiar with Puppy by using the multisession CD (or DVD), then you could move on to more advanced topics such as installing Puppy on a hard disk.

georg1

#3 Post by georg1 »

Yes something like that, but I dont know what you mean with that multisession CD ?

of course I will first just run live version of puppy, and than if he like, install on HDD

One more option, what is woth this UEFI bios thing, he got one allmost new gateway laptop with win8 and Im 100% shure that laptop has UEFI

I would like to know, if that UEFI may be suorce of some problems when (if) install puppy on that laptop ? (I mean if wipe whole hdd before puppy install)

EDIT: I find what you mean LINK

thx

gcmartin

#4 Post by gcmartin »

Hello @Georg1
Your link is a good explanation. But, you may find this easier:
On any Puppy desktop, do the following:
  1. Put a blank DVD into your/his burner
  2. On desktop at the taskbar, go to Menu>Multimedia>pBurn...DVD
  3. Point its left-pane to your folder having your ISO
  4. Right click the ISO's name (it will now show also in the right-pane)
  5. Click the Burn ISO button
  6. Make sure the Multisession is selected
  7. Burn and you are done!
Hope this helps

georg1

#5 Post by georg1 »

Hi. I just try on local network, I put slacko CD in one old pc, and boot, than I install x11vnc.pet and connect on that slacko-pc remotely.

Than I go setup, remastered cd now I will see if that make me .iso

because I need .iso file to send my friend and he will burn that iso on his laptop, than I can start.

If not go, I will try on suggested way.

Thank you.

georg1

#6 Post by georg1 »

Okay :)

Im done one first task with success yeppiii

I make remasterd pupy and that x11vnc-server is embedded on that .iso

Now just must figure out how to disable firewall when boot that .iso because I got FW runing on each boot, OK is not really smart disabled that but, I know will be problem connect on that remote laptop if this will be runing on the start, so I must or permanent disabled on boot, or make rule for x11vnc, and linux firewall.

what you guys suggest me about that ?

thank you

gcmartin

#7 Post by gcmartin »

Hello again @Georg1

This may save you a lot of aggravation since you are NOT onsite with your friend whom you are trying to help, remotely.

Yes, firewall and routers, especially guiding remotely (unless you have the exact same router), can be a problem.

So, here's a quick and dirty remote assistance you can test at home. Then send the ISO to your friend.
  1. Start Chrome (or Chromium)
  2. add the Chrome extension for remote support
  3. On a 2nd PC boot an ISO with Chrome
  4. Add the extension on the 2nd Chrome
  5. Now using the 2nd, connect to the 1st
  6. You are done, again!
  7. Help and converse with each other
No firewall changes necessary. And, no confusing procedure(s) for your friend.

Please report back your success with this, so others can see its simplicity, too.

Hope this helps make your life simple

georg1

#8 Post by georg1 »

Im trying, but Im stuck, when I try get that RDC extension to chrome but I cant, because (my cromium is not supported by chrome store) that notice I got from chrome store, and If i try install newest ver. I cant either, cuz. link broken link in package manager.

So for now Im allmost done in my way, and both x11-vnc and teamveawer work on both directions from my lan.

Later when I make few more things, will post my TV id and pass to test if someone from really long distance can log-in that puppy, just to be shure.

now I got few more thing to do.

I find but I dont know exact where, option to start some app on the start, and included Teamveawer
and exclude disable firewall for good

I know firewall is not in function from the start, (RED Shield) but I dont know if that only alow LAN connections, and puppy will be not open to the web ?

and must find the way how to convinced puppy to change from one mouse click to two (like on win) because that guy will got big problems I think.

thank you

gcmartin

#9 Post by gcmartin »

Do you mean this doesn't work in your PC? And, after setup the RDC extension does not work in Chrome?

Hope this helps

georg1

#10 Post by georg1 »

Hi. I try that, and from package manager install newest version. but that even not start when I try, that portable got problem, because chrome store detect my crome is OUT-dated and not alow me download anything, just redirect me to last version of chrome, but I cant install that.

Will try again, Im allmost on the end, and not big deal if must do double job, only want try that chrome RDC just to se how that work, if is same like Teamviewer and is not such progresive (buy-buy) policy like on TV than I chose that chrome extension.

But for now Im here, with my custom-puppy.iso and for now work.

IM just need one last test, and I will post here in app one hour, to someone from long distance AU or USA test if he can connect to my puppy-pc

Thankyou for now, will report back a bit later.

georg1

#11 Post by georg1 »

Okay. who got few minuts time to check if connection go smoth ?

@gcmartin I use that .sfs for chrome google-chrome-19-4s.sfs before and there got that notice from chrome store.

edit: got same error
Attachments
chrome1.jpg
(61.37 KiB) Downloaded 502 times

georg1

#12 Post by georg1 »

Okay Im done.

and here is procedure how I make that

You need PC with HDD and CD-writer one blank CD disk, usb-flash-disk (or second CD disk)

1. I boot my puppy-slacko from USB-FDD
2. install puppy to hdd FULL install
3. download puppy-slacko.5.7.0 devx file
4. load on the fly devx
5. install teamviewer, skype and x11-vnc-server

6. reboot and make that save like every time on first restart after puppy installation.

7. go to menu select System/boot manager/ then Startup apps and manage startup apps, and add to startup, write teamviewer and click on + button to add app and repeat for each app what you want un on the start, and pres ok.

8. after that you will see if all work OK. than you prepare for next step

9. copy puppy-slacko.5.7.0.sfs file from your CD to dir on your hdd

10. go to menu, Setup/ remaster puppy live CD and follow the instructions

on the end you can select burn to CD disk or just make .iso file who will got name custom.puppy.iso

when you will boot that custom puppy will start all apps what you set up in start up manager

cthisbear

#13 Post by cthisbear »

I tested Teamviewer 9 in Puppy 4.31 a few days ago.

My mate had Lucid 5.28 using TV9.

Not an issue.
Surprisingly fast considering I had Puppy 4.31 and a crappy connection.

Puppy packages
TeamViewer 6 at smokey01.com
TeamViewer 9 at Puppy stuff

Forum threads
TeamViewer 9 PET & SFS
TeamViewer in Wary5
Teamviewer. Now possible??

Of course >> tronkel made me a version over 4 years ago.

So Teamviewer 9 is great as well...by koulaxizis????

Use the PET version.

http://puppylinux.org/wikka/teamviewer

Chris.

georg1

#14 Post by georg1 »

Hi. @Chris

I use teamviewer-9.0.24147.pet version and work on both directions, I say both, because previous versons has problem with win to puppy connection, but this work great.

Only think I need is find the way to enble double mouse click somehow :)

thx

georg1

#15 Post by georg1 »

OMG this is the depressed time for me, Is posssible be so f stupid and not realize that PC in fact not run from CD .sfs but from .sfs who saved on HDD

And normal all work perfect than LOL

Okay, I burn my custom .iso to CD and even DVD in puppy on multisession mode, and disconect HDD from PC, than boot from that CD-DVD and install few more programs just for test, but when I try save that seeson on CD-DVD nothing happen, sometime all stuck, or nothing happen.

So Im search option how to put my customazed .sfs from before which is on HDD in any puppy-slacko .iso image, and if will that work on the end ?

thank you

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#16 Post by Flash »

What program did you use to burn the multisession DVD? It should have worked, though some laptops have trouble with multisession. The problem seems to be that the optical drives used in laptops don't work exactly the same as the ones used in desktops.

georg1

#17 Post by georg1 »

I burn one in puppy when run, and he write multisession, but refuse coperate (burn) later when I try reburn that safe file.

Now Im use diferent trick :) I make bootable USB from custom-puppy iso, and boot OK.

I make few changes, and save session to USB and all OK. when I boot that USB work like I imagine, but only problem I got is, how to make iso from that USB key and later when I burn that iso to CD is not bootable.

That is all problem what I got in this moment, if I can do that propper Im done.

Edit: I try with Imgburn, make iso from folders and files, Im stuck on where this SW ask for etfsboot.com file on thistutorial

thank you

gcmartin

#18 Post by gcmartin »

Accidentally erased my original trying to copy from it.
Last edited by gcmartin on Thu 31 Jul 2014, 23:27, edited 3 times in total.

georg1

#19 Post by georg1 »

Hi to all.

Okay I done that multisession CD (I got fubar CD-unit, and I dont even know that, becase write good on win os when I last time bake cd)

I change that unit and make CD on tutorial what I put link on 3 post of this theme.

Now that CD work OK. I install teamviewer, skype and VNC, I reboot system and save session on CD, next time when I boot just set TV and skype to run on the boot

go to menu / system / boot manager / startup apps / manage startup apps / add to startup / write name of app and click on + an OK.

reboot system and save that session again

On next boot those apps will be popUp when boot is done.

Than I try install puppy on remote, I chose FULL install on HDD and all go super, only I dont have teamviewer and skype on installed system.

So Im ask, is any trick to avoid that, because when I make remasterd .iso from my installed (FULL) puppy I got that programs installed even I I make new fresh instal on HDD.

I will now make one .iso image from that multisesion CD and will see if will work, what you all mean, will be ok if burn that image (from multisession CD) agan without multisession or must again make multi session CD ?

I will try even with rufus make bootable USB and see what happen.

Thank all of you again for support

gcmartin

#20 Post by gcmartin »

Hello @Georg1.

I believe that RemasterX will create a brand new bootable ISO from your CD that has booted with your updates in its saved session.

Boot your Live CD allowing it to boot with its saved session containing TV and all. Then run RemasterX. The output ISO should contain all of your needs.

Hope this helps