Light-Debian-Core-Live-CD-Wheezy + Porteus-Wheezy

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
saintless

#3361 Post by saintless »

Hi, William.
Tested with OpenBox version fresh boot and the output seems a little bit different (Audio output truncated at the end is missing), but still no sound:

Code: Select all

root@dog:~# mplayer /live/image/test2.mp3
MPlayer2 9d6b188 (C) 2000-2012 MPlayer Team
Cannot open file '/root/.mplayer/input.conf': No such file or directory
Failed to open /root/.mplayer/input.conf.
Cannot open file '/usr/local/etc/mplayer/input.conf': No such file or directory
Failed to open /usr/local/etc/mplayer/input.conf.

Playing /live/image/test2.mp3.
Detected file format: MP2/3 (MPEG audio layer 2/3) (libavformat)
[mp3 @ 0x871d240]Estimating duration from bitrate, this may be inaccurate
[lavf] stream 0: audio (mp3), -aid 0
Load subtitles in /live/image/
Requested audio codec family [mpg123] (afm=mpg123) not available.
Enable it at compilation.
Selected audio codec: MP3 (MPEG audio layer 3) [libavcodec]
AUDIO: 48000 Hz, 1 ch, floatle, 32.0 kbit/2.08% (ratio: 4000->192000)
[AO_ALSA] Unable to set hw-parameters: Invalid argument
[AO OSS] audio_setup: Can't open audio device /dev/dsp: No such file or directory
AO: [null] 48000Hz 1ch floatle (4 bytes per sample)
Video: no video
Starting playback...
A:   3.0 (03.0) of 3.1 (03.0)  1.3%                                             

Exiting... (End of file)
root@dog:~# 
Using xhippo or gnome-mplayer the sound is fine.

Toni

fredx181

#3362 Post by fredx181 »

Hi William, Toni,

Got it!
The solution is in making mplayer behave the same as gnome-mplayer.
So looking at the --verbose output from gnome-mplayer I tried lots of options and this works for me with all mono files:

mplayer -af-add export=/tmp/mplayer-af_exportuvbdip:512 /path/to/test.mp3
So then in ~/.mplayer/config:

[default]
# Write your default config options here!
af-add=export=/tmp/mplayer-af_exportuvbdip:512
Don't ask me why, but it works!

Fred

fredx181

#3363 Post by fredx181 »

mcewanw wrote: One thing I've noticed that is very different between openbox DD and jwm DD is that, like Puppy, jwm DD includes the likes of defaultbrowser, defaulttexteditor etc (or somethings like that) whereas openbox DD doesn't I think. Without these, some Puppy gtkdialogs won't completely function I'd think, since these default names are often used or referred to in Puppy scripts.
Yes, that's right, I will look at it.
Also, Rox right-click and mime handling functionality is very limited in the openbox version, which I understand since you focus on Thunor, but still, Puppy users will miss the extra Rox functionality (even, for example, clicking on iso within Rox to open it, or as in jwm DD to extract/install debs etc). Overall, I think it would be a big improvement if these extras, which on the whole are incorporated in jwm DD, were eventually mirrored in the openbox version, but it is just my opinion, and Thunor does it all anyway I know.
As you say thunar does it all.
The only reason I kept rox installed is that some programs need it (for example precord) to open it for choosing a directory.
Also I think if a user wants to use rox he/she would choose using Jwm version instead of openbox.

Fred

saintless

#3364 Post by saintless »

Hi, All.

New packages, updated packages and fixes will be added in this post (already included desktop-editor fix and Precord, Pavrecord new versions):
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 368#776368
The link is added in the first post.

Fred, William,
if you think some mp3 mplayer issue needs to be added in the same post write what exactly to post there. For me it is more configuration/setup tip than fix and it should be in HowTo thread instead.

Toni

fredx181

#3365 Post by fredx181 »

Hi Toni,
Fred, William,
if you think some mp3 mplayer issue needs to be added in the same post write what exactly to post there. For me it is more configuration/setup tip than fix and it should be in HowTo thread instead.
It seems like mplayer2 doesn't play well together with alsa equalizer.
If there's no other way to fix, why not put a line in a config file to make things work as expected?
That is; if the line in ~/.mplayer/config (in openbox version) works also for you and William (and has no unwanted side-effects).
Btw with Jwm version, when installing alsa-equal the same problem would appear I guess.
I see it as a fix to make mplayer play mono files, just as gnome-mplayer and xhippo does.(in combination with alsa equalizer).

Forgive me if I sound a bit rough, I need a small vacation I think. :)
Also these days I'm trying to think about DebianDog as user, I mean what I really want/need.(I almost forgot about that during the last months).
Making some sfs's with apt2sfs to see what to include for my ideal DD.
Looking more from "distance" I like DD very much, it's great what we achieved!

Fred

mcewanw

#3366 Post by mcewanw »

fredx181 wrote: I see it as a fix to make mplayer play mono files, just as gnome-mplayer and xhippo does.(in combination with alsa equalizer).

Forgive me if I sound a bit rough, I need a small vacation I think. :)
Also these days I'm trying to think about DebianDog as user, I mean what I really want/need.(I almost forgot about that during the last months).
Yes, I agree that it is a fix to cover mplayer2 having a few issues with alsaequalizer and I also thought about the case of a user installing alsaequalizer in jwm version.

Of course, it is all hard work, and understandable that everyone gets a bit tired and there comes a time when we all just want to be satisfied with a distribution and move on. But, yes, a little bit of last minute thought about user experience is key to making us really happy/satisfied with final result. That's why I reluctantly mentioned Rox, cos truthfully, I think many Puppy users will also really like the openbox version too, because it is really a very attractive looking and feeling distribution. So far I've been mainly using jwm version for testing, but I'm also thinking some of my family may well like openbox better. I'm a bit different, because I'm mainly just interested in technical behaviour (which is why I liked xdm included and multiuser stuff working best as possible) - I'm always thinking of my old job teaching Linux and searching for the ideal distribution for that, which DD jwm currently fits well.

But if new isos ever are released I don't think that needs any hurry (and shouldn't) and hopefully there can now basically be a feature freeze, which provides stability for final user point of view testing/fixing (small cosmetic fixing really). Also, as an app writer, I still have a few things I want to implement soon, so I'd prefer some time if the updated versions were to be included in any iso changes. Easy for me to say, I'm primarily just a small app provider, which is where my interest lies, and not building the iso, which is tricky and very time-consuming I'm sure.

Unfortunately, it isn't really possible to feature-freeze apps, but to some extent that's what I'm actually trying to get close too in the next short while (which is why I trying to make addon capability via short code extracts - hijack modules as I call it - I also want a rest from app writing, so I'm trying to soon reach a version of the apps that satisfy me longer term without leaving them to become stale.

Anyway, I do agree the mplayer issue is a tiny one, now that I've fixed Precord to also use lame for mono playback, and xhippo and gnome-mplayer work fine. Still, I'm very happy to hear you found that mplayer config fix, which as you say will round things off nicely, Fred, and be good to apply. The only thing I have against Howto's, from a user point of view, is that this is a technical matter, and I feel that most users are not necessary technical users, so such Howto's wouldn't be much use for them. But its a small point only.

Thanks for all your efforts to resolve even this wee issue,

William
github mcewanw

saintless

#3367 Post by saintless »

Hi, Fred, William.

I also prefer not to update Wheezy version iso images at least few months if we do not find something important for fixing. We al need small vacation and now is the time to enjoy it :) I like to do more testing and to play some more with Squeeze version and make it perfect for my own use adding changes in second squashfs.

I will test Fred's mplayer config fix in both versions after installing alsaequal in JWM. If it works for me we can upload executable script (maybe as a deb package checking if alsaequal is installed as dependency) that will create the configuration file automatically in /root, /home/puppy and /etc/skel and I will give download link in fixes post.

Toni

saintless

#3368 Post by saintless »

Hi, Fred.

I'm not sure if this is the proper way to do it but quick test installing in Jwm version alsamixergui, caps and libasound2-plugin-equal and copy/paste /etc/asound.conf creates the same problem and this fix works:
fredx181 wrote:So then in ~/.mplayer/config:

[default]
# Write your default config options here!
af-add=export=/tmp/mplayer-af_exportuvbdip:512
I don't know if it will create other issues. I will test it more later.

Toni

fredx181

#3369 Post by fredx181 »

Toni wrote:I also prefer not to update Wheezy version iso images at least few months if we do not find something important for fixing. We al need small vacation and now is the time to enjoy it Smile
Yes, perfectly fine with me!
I will test Fred's mplayer config fix in both versions after installing alsaequal in JWM. If it works for me we can upload executable script (maybe as a deb package checking if alsaequal is installed as dependency) that will create the configuration file automatically in /root, /home/puppy and /etc/skel and I will give download link in fixes post.
Good idea!
I'm not sure if this is the proper way to do it but quick test installing in Jwm version alsamixergui, caps and libasound2-plugin-equal and copy/paste /etc/asound.conf
Yes that's alright however alsamixergui is not specially needed.
Something like this works using alsamixer:

xterm -T "Alsa Equalizer" -fa "Monospace:size=9" -geometry 95x25 -e alsamixer -D equal
There's more to say about alsa equalizer (editing /etc/asound.conf) I'll probably make small howto in the HowTo section after vacation :)

Fred
Attachments
alsa-equalizer.png
Alsa Equalizer
(27.66 KiB) Downloaded 577 times

mcewanw

#3370 Post by mcewanw »

saintless wrote:Hi, Fred, William.
We al need small vacation and now is the time to enjoy it :)
Toni
Well guys,

Have a good vacation. Not actually for me yet though, it is middle of winter in this part of the world and very difficult to even keep warm at the moment (despite the constantly fed woodburner...) :-)

But yes, a break is needed and welcome!

William
github mcewanw

saintless

#3371 Post by saintless »

Thanks, William :)

And just for later testing here is first deb-package-fix for alsa-equalizer issue:

For Jwm version (includes menu entries for alsa-equalizer):
http://smokey01.com/saintless/Fredx181/ ... -Icewm.deb
For OpenBox version (no menu entry):
http://smokey01.com/saintless/Fredx181/ ... penBox.deb
Both check for dependencies and for Jwm version apt-get -f install is needed after installing the deb.

Two disadvantages I see for the moment:
1. If mplayer is executed from root account and then logout and login as puppy /tmp/mplayer-af_exportuvbdip is still there and owned by root and needs sudo remove before starting mplayer from puppy user. Maybe we can use chpupsocket to fix this somehow.

2. If the user has already configured $HOME/.mplayer/config it will be replaced and the user settings has to be added again. Maybe script to add line with sed and check if $HOME/.mplayer/config exists first will improve this.

I'm not sure deb package is better than executable script yet, but atleast we have something to start with later.

Toni

fredx181

#3372 Post by fredx181 »

William wrote:Well guys,

Have a good vacation. Not actually for me yet though, it is middle of winter in this part of the world and very difficult to even keep warm at the moment (despite the constantly fed woodburner...) :-)
Thanks, William, also for your work and advices!
Toni wrote:For Jwm version (includes menu entries for alsa-equalizer):
http://smokey01.com/saintless/Fredx181/ ... -Icewm.deb
For OpenBox version (no menu entry):
http://smokey01.com/saintless/Fredx181/ ... penBox.deb
Both check for dependencies and for Jwm version apt-get -f install is needed after installing the deb.

Two disadvantages I see for the moment:
Yes, thanks, I see now it's not perfect solution.
Also I noticed that when logged in as user puppy gnome-mplayer gets confused by this setting and refuses to play anything.
But it's not very important thing and we'll see later.

Have a good time, Toni!

Fred

saintless

#3373 Post by saintless »

fredx181 wrote:Have a good time, Toni!
Thanks, Fred, you too :)
I will check out the threads for new posts but I will avoid sitting infront the computer too much in the next months.

Toni

stemsee

#3374 Post by stemsee »

@Dancytron

For Avermedia tv-card support in linux look here.
http://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/AVerMedia

Everyone else Happy Holidays!

sfs

#3375 Post by sfs »

Russian "very alpha" version DebianDog-Wheezy-openbox_xfce.iso.
Replaced: kernel ,initrd
Added: systemd, cow-notify, gshot, pfs-util, apwal, mount-net, trdo, sfs-get, ... - perhaps useful to you
[url=https://sourceforge.net/projects/puppyrusa/]PuppyRus-Arch[/url]

saintless

#3376 Post by saintless »

Thank you, Sfs!
I'm sure I will find useful improvements. And much easier for me as I can see you keep the additions in small separate modules inside the iso.

To make the download easier for Fred (when he has time to check it out):
https://www.mediafire.com/folder/dxyrko8dams75/
lf-dw-1407.iso is the one we need.

Toni

sfs

#3377 Post by sfs »

saintless wrote:And much easier for me as I can see you keep the additions in small separate modules inside the iso.
Yes 080-dd140723.sfs.pfs = 01-filesystem.squashfs &

pfsextract 070-Lf140710.pfs
http://wiki.puppyrus.org/puppyrus/pr218/pfs#pfsextract

saintless

#3378 Post by saintless »

Thank you, Sfs!
Just did quick test and I like your additions. Not everything downloaded with sfs-get will work on DebianDog but I guess I can change the repository to different one with more compatible modules or create special modules for DebianDog.

This gives me very good base to start working on one more boot method for DebianDog - named PuppyRus-Arch-boot maybe? I have much to explore and understand first.

Fred, (just information for later) the porteus initrd from Sfs's iso can use systemd boot and seems to me this is the fastest boot I ever used. It also does not have modules included inside and we can change the kernels with the same initrd.xz file.

Toni

sfs

#3379 Post by sfs »

saintless wrote:Not everything downloaded with sfs-get will work on DebianDog
Yes. Modules fully compatible only with PuppyRus-A
saintless wrote: but I guess I can change the repository to different one with more compatible modules or create special modules for DebianDog.
yes
http://wiki.puppyrus.org/soft/sfs-get
saintless wrote: we can change the kernels with the same initrd.xz file.
yes
porteus-puppy-rus-a_initrd requires a special kernel - PuppyRus-A or Porteus

saintless

#3380 Post by saintless »

sfs wrote:porteus-puppy-rus-a_initrd requires a special kernel - PuppyRus-A or Porteus
I can boot also with extracted from puppy-initrd-boot kernel-modules.sfs (renamed to 000-kernel.pfs) and vmlinuz using your porteus-puppy-rus-a_initrd.
The archive is linked here
Maybe your work will make possible to adapt puppy initrd to use systemd as optional boot. I doubt there is much interest for the moment from systemd here but I will post this information in the forum after some more testing.

Toni