Firstrun: Ask LANGUAGE at first

For efforts in internationalising Puppy and solving problems in this area
L18L

Firstrun: Ask LANGUAGE at first

#1 Post by L18L »

When I am upgrading the operating system of my android tablet
then the first thing, if I want it or not, is selection of a language.

That is state of the art now and should also be possible with Puppy.

I have made some very small changes in the relevant script quicksetup
and used my extended version 1.2 of set_LANGUAGE_and_launch_app
to get it done.

Upload of quicksetup coming soon...
Here it is (not perfect but working):
quickset_NLS.pet

bug fix version quickset_NLS.pet-0.2

Just 1 problem,
I have no idea where quicksetup is launched.
Attachments
quicksetup_NLS-0.2.pet
containing the script and some partial translations (bug fix)
(just that what I have found...)
da de es fr it nl pl pt pt_BR ru tr
of quicksetup and welcome1stboot
(154.62 KiB) Downloaded 376 times
quicksetup_NLS.pet
containing the script and some partial translations
(just that what I have found...)
da de es fr it nl pl pt pt_BR ru tr
of quicksetup and welcome1stboot
(151.64 KiB) Downloaded 340 times
quicksetup_2014-07-23.png
First choice of LANGUAGE does not need any text
because the language is in the language of the language.

Top of combobox is not en_US
but all LANGs of chosen LANGUAGE (see Screenshot).
(62.1 KiB) Downloaded 458 times
Last edited by L18L on Thu 24 Jul 2014, 10:39, edited 1 time in total.

gcmartin

#2 Post by gcmartin »

Thanks @L18L. I clearly understand what you offer the community.

Please also post to the FirstRUN thread so that this feature upgrade can be uptaken into WOOFCE for all developer distros.

Really, really great!!!

shinobar

Re: Firstrun: Ask LANGUAGE at first

#3 Post by shinobar »

Interesting.
Downloads for Puppy Linux [url]http://shino.pos.to/linux/downloads.html[/url]

gcmartin

#4 Post by gcmartin »

Seems as though this really should not be a separate window preceding FirstRUN. Instead, it should be a part of FirstRUN so that any user on initial boot sees a single screen versus 2 independently separate screens. This would make easy a central place for system language, keyboard, time, etc to occur should one want to change....not 2 places separately.

Question
  • Can this be incorporated into the single user FirstRUN screen?
    As reasonable as this seems, there may be something technical that may not allow these two to want to work together, that I'm missing.
Here to help

L18L

quicksetup

#5 Post by L18L »

gcmartin wrote:Please also post to the FirstRUN thread so that this feature upgrade can be uptaken into WOOFCE for all developer distros.
...you are trying to teach an old dog run as fast as a puppy.
... and a link to that thread could help.

Next step is find the bugs.
Found one. Translations are in wrong location.

Please re-install quicksetup_NLS version 0.2

L18L

Re: Firstrun: Ask LANGUAGE at first

#6 Post by L18L »

shinobar wrote:Interesting.
ja 8)
Attachments
quicksetup-ja.png
used just an empty /usr/share/locale/ja/LC_MESSAGES/quicksetup.mo

(and copied this to other languages)
(7.88 KiB) Downloaded 292 times

shinobar

Japanese Puppy

#7 Post by shinobar »

Japanese need special font.
My version firstrun checks installed fonts and shows only displayable languages.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=58312

Chinese and Korean are more complex. They need special locale files which are cut off in usual Puppy.

And usually required IME with large dictionary. That is why we do not provide Japanese langpack in pet and make Japanese localized version rather than multilingual.
Last edited by shinobar on Thu 24 Jul 2014, 12:46, edited 1 time in total.

shinobar

single user FirstRUN screen

#8 Post by shinobar »

gcmartin wrote:Can this be incorporated into the single user FirstRUN screen?
Not easy but can be done. Me too prefer single screen.

Actually not a single, but my idea:
1) At the fist time, full functional dialog with language selector on the top left.
2) If the language selector changed, whole dialog refreshed with new language. The list in the language selector is changed with detail locale code, language_COUNTRY.

Or, simply put a 'Change Language' button to launch the selector, on the top of the first dialog.

Why I prefer single, I guess changing locale is rare case as for Japanese edition, which is Japanese from the initial.

greengeek

#9 Post by greengeek »

gcmartin wrote:it should be a part of FirstRUN so that any user on initial boot sees a single screen versus 2 independently separate screens.
I don't understand - in recent pups using Quicksetup I only ever see one screen. Is this because I only change the language to a different type of English, rather than a completely different language?

GC, would you be able to post screenshots of the two screens that you see please?
cheers

gcmartin

#10 Post by gcmartin »

Yeah, the opening post shows 2 separate screens. First being the language selector and the 2nd being the current FirstRUN that every PUP uses (except for one/two). My wondering was whether the traditional FirstRUN could address both. But, I do see the simplicity that @L18L offers where nothing needs be changed if PUPs place the language request as a separate one before FirstRUN is seen by booting users on initial boots.

Right now, many users already know that they can use the FirstRUN utility as a central spot for time, keyboard. some video settings, f/w, etc. My thinking is that if the Language was selected here too, it poses no problem should any user want to go there for the desktop language, as well. Thus, should you be demo'ing your PUP to an audience, you could change the language right in the single FirstRUN.

That is the only reason I have asked this question.

I see all of this as a "Puppy Exclusive" by those who have brought us along to this juncture. thanks go out to all the developers, before and now, who have brought us to how they have made PUP use so very simple and easy for new users to feel accomplishment in their introductory use in a PUP distro. This FirstRUN has really added a sense of ease of use that goes with PUPPY Linux, while accomplishing so very much for both developers and users.

This would mean that the current FirstRUN and the years of work by @L18L, would now be evident and obvious by everyone when they pass this screen going into the running system. Thus, instead of "Firstrun: Ask LANGUAGE at first" the effort would result in a title "Ask LANGUAGE at Firstrun Utility".

Here to help

greengeek

#11 Post by greengeek »

Hi GC, I still don't quite understand. In my screenie below there is the opportunity to change country settings. Is that different to the language change described in this thread?
Attachments
quicksetup.jpg
(65.29 KiB) Downloaded 319 times

gcmartin

#12 Post by gcmartin »

greengeek wrote:... Is that different to the language change described in this thread?
Kinda.

What these efforts express is a manner of changing the system's text for applications and screens from English (for example) to one's native language. For example, what the opening thread shows is making a change so that all screens would launch in one's native language. (see the language change shown in the opening post)

I am merely suggesting that the Language request should be, as you show, in the FirstRUN's screen launch where all local customization is done in that single screen. This does NOT negate the need for the Language utility. Instead it means that the system will not stop along the way to FirstRUN where the user will select a language as well as any other localization needs. As was pointedout to me earlier by a member, Language occurs when they initially start their new smartPhone. And thus, it is being offered here for PUP's use on the world stage.

Thus for example, if the French distro(s) used FirstRUN and someone from Australia wanted to use it, in FirstRUN, by changing the selector, would have an AU-EN desktop versus a French language desktop.

Either way, though, Puppy is advanced such that at its beginning, Language is a part of any system start.