JWM: Disable scrollwheel switching virtual desktops

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
MochiMoppel

JWM: Disable scrollwheel switching virtual desktops

#1 Post by MochiMoppel »

When the mouse pointer hovers over a window, scrolling the scrollwheel will move the window contents up or down as expected. However as soon as the pointer hovers outside of the window area, the scrollwheel switches virtual desktops. This can be outright confusing for new users and still annoying for experienced users. JWM provides no option to reconfigure mouse bindings, but this behavior can be disabled with a trick.

Step 1: Edit the file /root/.jwm/jwmrc-personal. Add 2 lines:
  • <JWM>
    <RootMenu onroot="4"/>
    <RootMenu onroot="5"/>
Step 2: Restart JWM

That's it.

Puppus Dogfellow

Re: JWM: Disable scrollwheel switching virtual desktops

#2 Post by Puppus Dogfellow »

MochiMoppel wrote:When the mouse pointer hovers over a window, scrolling the scrollwheel will move the window contents up or down as expected. However as soon as the pointer hovers outside of the window area, the scrollwheel switches virtual desktops. This can be outright confusing for new users and still annoying for experienced users. JWM provides no option to reconfigure mouse bindings, but this behavior can be disabled with a trick.

Step 1: Edit the file /root/.jwm/jwmrc-personal. Add 2 lines:
  • <JWM>
    <RootMenu onroot="4"/>
    <RootMenu onroot="5"/>
Step 2: Restart JWM

That's it.
cool. is there any way to make it switch through the windows on a given desktop as its default behavior and maybe make the scrolling through desktops a ctrl+scroll option?

and if that's doable, how about shift+scroll to move up and down, alt+scroll to move left and right, alt+ctrl+scroll to increase/decrease vertically, alt+shift+scroll to increase/decrease horizontally, and shift+control+scroll as a sendto (grab the window and release it when the desired desktop is reached)?

:D

Les Kerf

#3 Post by Les Kerf »

THANK YOU, THANK YOU THANK YOU! Did I say thank you?!?

That solves the most annoying, useless feature I have EVER encountered in Puppy Linux. This feature nearly caused me to give up on Puppy before I was barely even started; I will most DEFINITELY pass this on to anyone I introduce Puppy to in the future.

Les

RSH

#4 Post by RSH »

Yes, thank you!
[b][url=http://lazy-puppy.weebly.com]LazY Puppy[/url][/b]
[b][url=http://rshs-dna.weebly.com]RSH's DNA[/url][/b]
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=91422][b]SARA B.[/b][/url]

tallboy

#5 Post by tallboy »

THANK YOU, THANK YOU THANK YOU! Did I say thank you?!?
Yes, thank you!
Ditto!
MochiMoppel, you're a genius!

tallboy
True freedom is a live Puppy on a multisession CD/DVD.

jopervasco

#6 Post by jopervasco »

Thank you very match!
Visitez mon site [url=http://joreveur.info]http://joreveur.info[/url]

MochiMoppel

#7 Post by MochiMoppel »

Above trick does not work anymore in early versions of JWM 2.3
For newer versions radky posted an official solution here.
See also the related github discussion linked in radky's post.

James186282

#8 Post by James186282 »

What a relief to have this feature turned off. I tried for a long time to figure out what I was doing to flip to a different display and never clued it that the scroll wheel was the source. Can someone explain what these two lines do? I've dug into JWM a bit and think its great but want to learn.

If anyone is taking votes I would urge that all future releases have this scroll wheel taking you to different desktops be normally left off.

T H A N K Y O U !
Science is what we understand well enough to explain to a computer.
Art is everything else we do.
[i]Donald Knuth [/i]

Mike Walsh

#9 Post by Mike Walsh »

James186282 wrote:What a relief to have this feature turned off. I tried for a long time to figure out what I was doing to flip to a different display and never clued it that the scroll wheel was the source. Can someone explain what these two lines do? I've dug into JWM a bit and think its great but want to learn.

If anyone is taking votes I would urge that all future releases have this scroll wheel taking you to different desktops be normally left off.

T H A N K Y O U !
Diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks, Jim.

I'm the complete opposite of you.....and, indeed, many other Forum members. Personally, I happen to think it's one of the best features of JWM.

Radky has it disabled by default in DPup 'Stretch'. I made a point of enquiring on the 'Stretch' thread how to turn it back ON. I do use the pager, but I detest that being my sole option.....and with my setup, where I have the task bar dialled right down to minimum height (to maximise screen real estate), it makes the pager extremely small & not that easy to 'hit' quickly.....

Anyway, I like being able to switch desktops by simply finding an empty bit of desk and scrolling. SO much easier than fiddling about in the taskbar all the time......

Let's 'agree to disagree' on this one..!! :lol: :lol:

Mike. :wink:

MochiMoppel

#10 Post by MochiMoppel »

James186282 wrote:Can someone explain what these two lines do? I've dug into JWM a bit and think its great but want to learn.
If you want to learn then this is the primary source of wisdom.

As you see you can create many menus in JWM, but each needs a unique "onroot" attribute, normally a number that determines, how this menu is triggered. Numbers 1-5 are reserved for the mouse buttons. Left/middle/right buttons are mapped to numbers 1,2 and 3. Scrollwheel up and down movements are mapped to numbers 4 and 5, meaning you can create a menu that pops up when you scroll up and another menu when you scroll down. You probably don't want to do that as this is equally annoying. The trick is to create menus that are completely empty and assign them to onroot 4 and 5. This effectively causes JWM to let the scrollwheels do nothing and overrides the default desktop switching behavior.

James186282

JWM .jwmrc, xorg.conf,

#11 Post by James186282 »

I thought it worked now I'm back to it randomly flipping whatever I'm moving to a different virtual screen. Its frustration talking so no one please take this too seriously but I've always wanted to ask if anyone knows why JWM wasn't just left alone. Not needing two different directories of xml files and fixmenus to do anything when JWM is fairly simple and well documented. I mean if you wanted to have a tool to make it a little easier (Not using a text editor) why not work on .jwmrc and tray without all the inbetween files / abstraction? I would say the same thing about the way wireless works. Wow did that make me crazy trying to find the different subdirectories for which of the 3 or 4 wireless handlers were when I got that all mixed up. I learned how it works at the cli level to understand how frisbee etc were doing things (I think)

When your new and you just want to pop in a Puppy ISO and have a machine? Its unmatched. I can't say enough about how easy and fast it is to have a machine that does everything without you needing to know whats under the hood. But when you get to the point where your having a problem or are trying to fiddle with something obscure that the abstract puppy handler doesn't do its a hair puller. Its a little like the display issue in general. You have your hardware then you have X11. Then someone piles GTX on top or QT5 to make it easier. Then someone makes Ciaro to sit on top of them and so on... I guess I just hate abstraction because I'm the kid that had to take apart the alarm clock to see what really happens.

As to this jwm mouse wheel issue I've gotten so sick of trying to get fixmenus to not turn my system into a mess that I think virtual screens has to be turned to 1 until I find a chill pill. Ha ha

I also have the same issue with xorg.conf I like to make up a file with lots of comments so later I can go back and see what each thing does and lets me change things. However the helper programs just write over whatever I have done and then I'm wondering how I let that happen and why etc.

Not to go on and on but I have a rather a 26K long "Menu.lst" file that boots up my machine that has comments in detail that remind me how to do really obscure things like set debug info to a different port or how to restore boot blocks etc etc etc. Its the old .97 jazz but I don't want newer, less freatures / less understandable.
Science is what we understand well enough to explain to a computer.
Art is everything else we do.
[i]Donald Knuth [/i]

ozsouth

#12 Post by ozsouth »

jwm 2.3.5 - 2.3.6 : no scrollwheel fix doesn't work.
*** EDIT - I specified wrong versions earlier.
Last edited by ozsouth on Thu 14 May 2020, 21:44, edited 3 times in total.

666philb

#13 Post by 666philb »

the solution here seems to work https://github.com/joewing/jwm/issues/366

add to your /etc/xdg/templates/_root_.jwmrc

Code: Select all

<RootMenu onroot="45"/>

it needs to be added after the initial root menu ie ......

<RootMenu label="Menu" labeled="false" height="MENHEIGHT" onroot="3">
PUPPYMENU jwm-xdgmenu /etc/xdg/menus/puppy-desktop.menu
PUPPYMENU jwm-xdgmenu /etc/xdg/menus/puppy-system.menu
PUPPYMENU jwm-xdgmenu /etc/xdg/menus/puppy-setup.menu

<Separator/>

PUPPYMENU jwm-xdgmenu /etc/xdg/menus/puppy-utility.menu
PUPPYMENU jwm-xdgmenu /etc/xdg/menus/puppy-filesystem.menu
PUPPYMENU jwm-xdgmenu /etc/xdg/menus/puppy-graphic.menu
PUPPYMENU jwm-xdgmenu /etc/xdg/menus/puppy-document.menu
PUPPYMENU jwm-xdgmenu /etc/xdg/menus/puppy-calculate.menu
PUPPYMENU jwm-xdgmenu /etc/xdg/menus/puppy-personal.menu
PUPPYMENU jwm-xdgmenu /etc/xdg/menus/puppy-network.menu
PUPPYMENU jwm-xdgmenu /etc/xdg/menus/puppy-internet.menu
PUPPYMENU jwm-xdgmenu /etc/xdg/menus/puppy-multimedia.menu
PUPPYMENU jwm-xdgmenu /etc/xdg/menus/puppy-fun.menu

<Separator/>

<Program label="Help" icon="help48.png">exec defaulthtmlviewer file:///usr/share/doc/index.html</Program>

<Program label="Exit" icon="shutdown48.png">/usr/sbin/logout_gui</Program>

<!-- </Menu> -->
</RootMenu>
<RootMenu onroot="45"/>
then run fixmenus in a terminal and restart JWM.
Bionicpup64 built with bionic beaver packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311
Xenialpup64, built with xenial xerus packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107331

ozsouth

#14 Post by ozsouth »

Sorry Phil - I have corrected non-working versions above (should be 2.3.3 - 2.3.6) & your fix doesn't work for jwm 2.3.6 in Slackware-based pups at least. jwm 2.2.x series & 2.3.7 plus are ok. Your recent pups have 2.3.7 or later, hence your fix works in them.
Last edited by ozsouth on Tue 12 May 2020, 01:14, edited 1 time in total.

fabrice_035

#15 Post by fabrice_035 »

Hi,
This works for me

<JWM>
<RootMenu onroot="4"/>
 <RootMenu onroot="5"/>
as no effect

Regard.

JWM v2.3.7 by Joe Wingbermuehle
Bionicpup64-8.0 _ Kernel 5.4.27-64oz _ Asus Rog GL752

gychang

mouse scroll to disable shade function

#16 Post by gychang »

666philb wrote:the solution here seems to work https://github.com/joewing/jwm/issues/366

add to your /etc/xdg/templates/_root_.jwmrc

<RootMenu onroot="45"/>

it needs to be added after the initial root menu ie ......

<RootMenu label="Menu" labeled="false" height="MENHEIGHT" onroot="3">
PUPPYMENU jwm-xdgmenu /etc/xdg/menus/puppy-desktop.menu
PUPPYMENU jwm-xdgmenu /etc/xdg/menus/puppy-system.menu
PUPPYMENU jwm-xdgmenu /etc/xdg/menus/puppy-setup.menu

<Separator/>

PUPPYMENU jwm-xdgmenu /etc/xdg/menus/puppy-utility.menu
PUPPYMENU jwm-xdgmenu /etc/xdg/menus/puppy-filesystem.menu
PUPPYMENU jwm-xdgmenu /etc/xdg/menus/puppy-graphic.menu
PUPPYMENU jwm-xdgmenu /etc/xdg/menus/puppy-document.menu
PUPPYMENU jwm-xdgmenu /etc/xdg/menus/puppy-calculate.menu
PUPPYMENU jwm-xdgmenu /etc/xdg/menus/puppy-personal.menu
PUPPYMENU jwm-xdgmenu /etc/xdg/menus/puppy-network.menu
PUPPYMENU jwm-xdgmenu /etc/xdg/menus/puppy-internet.menu
PUPPYMENU jwm-xdgmenu /etc/xdg/menus/puppy-multimedia.menu
PUPPYMENU jwm-xdgmenu /etc/xdg/menus/puppy-fun.menu

<Separator/>

<Program label="Help" icon="help48.png">exec defaulthtmlviewer file:///usr/share/doc/index.html</Program>

<Program label="Exit" icon="shutdown48.png">/usr/sbin/logout_gui</Program>

<!-- </Menu> -->
</RootMenu>
<RootMenu onroot="45"/>
then run fixmenus in a terminal and restart JWM.
on my bionoicpup64, it does not disable shade with middle mouse scroll...
---
trying to learn puppylinux... :D
---

ozsouth

#17 Post by ozsouth »

I disable shade via entry in picture. Disabling scrollwheel doesn't work for jwm versions 2.3.5 - 2.3.6.
Attachments
noshade.jpg
(35.92 KiB) Downloaded 269 times
Last edited by ozsouth on Thu 14 May 2020, 21:43, edited 1 time in total.

rockedge

#18 Post by rockedge »

Hello ozsouth,

I am using jwm 2.3.7 on WeeDog using

<!-- Disable virtual desktop scroll. -->
	<RootMenu onroot="4"/>
	<RootMenu onroot="5"/>
which works to disable the virtual desktop scroll.

ozsouth

#19 Post by ozsouth »

I've attempted a very basic update for ScPup64 from jwm-2.3.6 to jwm-2.3.7 so as to use scrollwheel fix. Seems OK.
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 32#1044332

gychang

#20 Post by gychang »

ozsouth wrote:I disable shade via entry in picture. Disabling scrollwheel doesn't work for jwm versions 2.3.2 - 2.3.6.
I was little confused with this, but it works well, edit the /etc/xdg/templates/_root_.jwmrc

and fixmeus and reboot, works well for bionicpup64, now there is no shade when I scroll on the app bar...
---
trying to learn puppylinux... :D
---