Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sat 20 Sep 2014, 14:22
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Hardware » Networking » Wireless
PeasyWiFi - a reliable WiFi connection manager
Page 4 of 8 [106 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 Next
greengeek

PostPosted: Sat 05 Jul 2014, 05:35    Post subject:  

rcrsn51 wrote:
I am still trying to figure out the best way to kill off Frisbee. What at PITA.
I suppose it will depend on how Frisbee got to be there in the first place. In my Slacko 5.3 installation it was not originally there and I added it as a .pet, so I was lucky enough to be able use the PPM to delete Frisbee.

Different story with other puppies where Frisbee is already grafted in. I do remember reading that in such instances you can sometimes install the same program from PPM (even though it is a part of the main puppy sfs) and then uninstall it and the original files disappear. I guess that might work sometimes...
rcrsn51

PostPosted: Sat 05 Jul 2014, 05:47    Post subject:  

I am going to upload another v2.1 package that contains a second, larger, icon. It will be more appropriate for running PWF off the desktop instead of the tray.
LateAdopter

PostPosted: Sat 05 Jul 2014, 06:15    Post subject:  

hello rcrsn51

Quote:
I am still trying to figure out the best way to kill off Frisbee. What at PITA.

When I want to stop something running at startup, I just remove the execute permissions. That way I can always reenable it easily.

The only puppy, I have with frisbee running, is emsee saucy. I took away the execute permissions from /etc/init.d/frisbee, which is the script that runs frisbee at startup. Then it doesn't run.

I haven't tested PeasyWiFi because my PC is only 2" from the router connected by wire!
rcrsn51

PostPosted: Sat 05 Jul 2014, 06:20    Post subject:  

LateAdopter wrote:
The only puppy, I have with frisbee running, is emsee saucy. I took away the execute permissions from /etc/init.d/frisbee, which is the script that runs frisbee at startup. Then it doesn't run.

Thanks. The one that is giving me trouble is PhatSlacko which has integrated Frisbee. Even your suggestion wasn't good enough. I eventually killed it, but now I don't know how I did it!

[Edit] See the new instructions on Page 1.
rcrsn51

PostPosted: Sat 05 Jul 2014, 09:46    Post subject:  

rcrsn51 wrote:
I am going to upload another v2.1 package that contains a second, larger, icon. It will be more appropriate for running PWF off the desktop instead of the tray.

Done. This will be more convenient for users with small displays or poor eyesight, or for old Puppies where the tray icon does not work.

Drag /usr/share/applications/peasywifi onto the desktop.

Use Right-click > Edit Item to change the title.
gcmartin

PostPosted: Sat 05 Jul 2014, 14:51    Post subject:  

Hello @Rcrsn51

This is a nice dialogue package you offer. And, I can see good use, especially when there is a connection issue to address; setting w/l password, for example. In review of this, the only other idea that comes to mind is what you share, as follows:
rcrsn51 wrote:
... you can insert the commands directly into PWF. Go to /usr/local/peasywifi and open peasywifi in a text editor. At Line 5, add the required commands. For example, this would be a convenient place to invoke ...
Might this be a tab option; or a sub-dialogue or button option for those problematic LAN adapters?

Since,we know so many members come from backgrounds of other distros/OSes, might the help button on 1st tab, ALSO be a button on all tabs for important information?

And, since this is a Puppy exclusive, would "PuppyWireless" or "PeasyWireless" or "PWireless" or "PWireMgr" be a more exemplary name for your offering?

Just some thoughts. If you find merit, run

rcrsn51

PostPosted: Sat 05 Jul 2014, 16:13    Post subject:  

I'm still waiting for a test report. Until you submit one, you have no right to be making suggestions. I would think that an IT professional like yourself would understand that concept.
greengeek

PostPosted: Sun 06 Jul 2014, 03:33    Post subject:  

v 2.1 just tested on previously mentioned early Turbopup works fine. I like the "restart PWF" reminder that pops up when you click "config" - didn't notice that in prior versions.

The icon is ideal for the desktop.

Very good. Fait accompli.
rcrsn51

PostPosted: Sun 06 Jul 2014, 05:50    Post subject:  

greengeek wrote:
Fait accompli.

My feeling too. Other than testing it in some different public WiFi spots, I can't think of anything else to add or change.

I appreciate the contributions of you, Marv and pfazer. And the twenty unknown community members who have faithfully downloaded each version. I would like to think that it has worked OK for them too.

FWIW, see the comment here. WiFi connection should not be so complicated that it breaks after a Puppy version change. And all three developers of the standard connection tools are long-gone.

Bill
gcmartin

PostPosted: Sun 06 Jul 2014, 11:09    Post subject:  

Quote:
I'm still waiting for a test report.
No need for a report when findings are same as others already report. Could add a personal touch, though. Confused

I continue to provide a report/posts, as I have in past, when something new (problems or issues) is found, or observation for author consideration Idea .

Here to help

rerwin

PostPosted: Sun 06 Jul 2014, 17:10    Post subject:  

rcrsn51 wrote:
And all three developers of the standard connection tools are long-gone
Assuming you are including Jemimah as one of those developers, although she appears to be inactive, I consider myself responsible for frisbee beginning with the integrated version 1.0.

As part of the integration, I provide away to disable frisbee nondestructively. You may note that other network managers accessed via the connect wizard have no interference from frisbee. That is because the wizard issues the command:
frisbee_mode_disable
whenever the other network managers are started.

I have sent Bill a PM with suggestions for automating the disabling. Until he responds to that idea, anyone can stop frisbee's interference by simply issuing that command from a console. Frisbee will then stay disabled until the user uses it again, after which that command is needed before starting peasywifi again.
Richard
rcrsn51

PostPosted: Sun 13 Jul 2014, 06:28    Post subject:  

PWF v2.2 lets you install the Windows driver for your adapter using ndiswrapper.

[Edit] Note the change in v2.3. It now requests the xxx.inf file instead of the folder containing it.

Last edited by rcrsn51 on Fri 18 Jul 2014, 05:46; edited 1 time in total
rcrsn51

PostPosted: Fri 18 Jul 2014, 04:57    Post subject:  

PWF v2.3 posted above.
rcrsn51

PostPosted: Tue 22 Jul 2014, 20:30    Post subject:  

PWF v2.4 is posted on the main page. It has added support for enterprise networks like eduroam.
rcrsn51

PostPosted: Wed 30 Jul 2014, 08:48    Post subject:  

There was a user request for better PWF documentation. What follows is a step-by-step recipe along with some trouble-shooting suggestions.

1. Launch PWF from its tray icon or from the Network menu. Click Help and read the basic instructions.

2. Click the I/F button.
a. If there is NO interface listed, Puppy does not have a driver for your WiFi adapter.
b. If the interface is wlan0, go to Step 4.
c. If the interface is something else, like eth1, continue to Step 3.

3. Click Config. This opens your PWF configuration file in a text editor.
a. Change the INTERFACE value to match your own.
b. Save the file.
c. Click Restart. This loads the new configuration.

4. Click Status.
a. Verify that a kernel module has been loaded.
b. Check for any RFkill blocking.
c. If your adapter is hard blocked, locate the physical switch or key combination on your computer that enables WiFi.

5. Open the Profiles tab and click Scan.
a. If some access points are identified, your adapter is working.
b. If nothing is located, then either your adapter isn't working properly or there are no active sites in range.

6. Create a profile for your home network. A profile is just a small text file that describes a WiFi connection.
a. Give the profile a descriptive name, like MyHomeNetwork
b. Enter the SSID as it was listed in the Scan output.
c. Enter the secret connection Passphrase for your WiFi router.
d. Select your router's security protocol. It will probably be WPA or WPA2. If you don't know, check using the Details button after a scan.
e. Click Make. Restart PWF.
f. Click the Check button to see your collection of profiles.

7. Open the Connect tab.
a. Pull down the Profiles list and select your network.
b. Click Connect. PWF will take about 20 seconds to connect. You should see a green Connected message.
c. Click Status and verify that you have received an IP address.
d. Click Quit. Launch your web browser.

8. If you get a Connection Failed message, click Disconnect and Connect again.

9. If you still cannot connect, try the following:
a. Click Check and check the data in your profile. Have you set the passphrase and WPA/WPA2/WEP correctly?
b. Is some other connection manager running in the background? These are known to interfere with PWF.
c. If the connection attempt has hung up, click the Abort button.

10. Are you connecting but getting a bogus 169.254.xxx IP address? Read here.

11. Under rare conditions, you may get connected and receive an IP address, but your browser cannot find anything.
a. Type the command: ping 8.8.8.8
If you get a reply, you do have a connection to the Internet.
b. Go to the /etc folder and open the file resolv.conf. Does it have a "nameserver" entry? If not, do the following:
c. Create a file called resolv.conf.tail. Make sure that you spell the name correctly!
d. Enter the line: nameserver 8.8.8.8
e. Save the file. Disconnect and reconnect.

12. You can probably speed up connection. Click Config and decrease the TIMEOUT value.

13. To connect to a public access point, open the Connect tab and click the Scan button.
a. Select your site from the list. There will be an option for saving a profile for this site.
b. PWF will attempt a connection.

14. Public WiFi sites can be tricky because they want to redirect your Internet traffic through their own servers. See the hint under Help concerning your browser's home page.

----------------------------------

PWF v2.2 lets you install the Windows driver for your adapter using ndiswrapper. Your first step is to locate the two Windows driver files named xxx.inf and xxx.sys. Look on the setup CD for a folder named something like XP. Copy this folder into your Puppy filesystem. Then do the following:

1. Click Status and check for installed kernel modules. WiFi modules are not always correctly identified. If you are not sure, go to Step 7.
2. If a WiFi module has been loaded, run System > BootManager and blacklist it.
3. Power down.
4. If your WiFi adapter is USB, unplug/replug it. This is important.
5. Reboot.
6. Click Status. If a different WiFi module has been loaded, repeat Steps 2-5.
7. When no WiFi module is identified, open the Win tab and install the Windows driver.
8. Reboot.
9. Click Status. The module should now be ndiswrapper. If not, go to Step 2.
10. Scan your WiFi neighbourhood.

--------------------------------------

PWF v2.5 can assign a static IP address to your WiFi adapter. This may be useful if you have an unstable network or hardware that experiences dhcpcd dropouts. With static IP, you can speed up connection considerably by decreasing the TIMEOUT variable.

1. Start PWF and click Config. Insert an available IP address from your network into the STATIC line. Leave the GATEWAY line blank.

2. Save and restart PWF.

3. Connect to a site and check with Status. It should show the static IP.

4. Check the file /etc/resolv.conf. It should show 8.8.8.8. This is the Google DNS nameserver. If you want a different public DNS, change the file resolv.conf.tail. Or you can assign the same nameserver that you use with DHCP.

5. PWF assumes that your router's gateway address is aaa.bbb.cc.1. But some routers use aaa.bbb.cc.254. In that case, change the GATEWAY setting in Config. You can check this with the "route" command.

6. To switch back to DHCP, erase the IP address in Config and reboot.

--------------------------

You may want to have multiple WiFi configurations on your laptop, like an auto-connect static IP version for home use, and a manual-connect version for public wifi. Here's how to make a boot connection menu:

1. Make a separate configuration file in /root for each situation. Name them .peasywifi.1 and .peasywifi.2

2. Create the following peasywifi_auto script in /root/Startup:

Code:
#!/bin/sh
PICK=$(Xdialog --stdout --timeout 30 --no-tags --title "PeasyWiFi" --menubox "Choose a Connection" 10 30 0 \
  1 "Home Network" 2 "Public WiFi")
[ -z "$PICK" ] && exit
cp $HOME/.peasywifi.$PICK $HOME/.peasywifi
case $PICK in
1) peasywifi my_home_profile;;
2) peasywifi;;
esac

3. Reboot.

Some public WiFi sites are password-protected, but regularly change their passphrase. If you create a profile with the PSK value "always-ask", PWF v2.6 will pop-up a password entry box whenever you connect.

Last edited by rcrsn51 on Fri 12 Sep 2014, 11:22; edited 21 times in total
Page 4 of 8 [106 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Hardware » Networking » Wireless
Jump to: