Can't boot Puppy on my laptop - hangs

Booting, installing, newbie
octathlon

Can't boot Puppy on my laptop - hangs

#1 Post by octathlon »

I'm so frustrated, having 3 computers and so far not able to use Puppy on any of them :( I've read everything I can find on this site and others to get this thing to work. I'm hoping someone can tell me what is wrong in this situation:

I have a Toshiba Satellite M-series laptop with Windows XP, 1 NTFS partition using the whole hard drive, 512 MB RAM, 1.6GHz processor. I unzipped the pup001 file into the C:\ directory and booted from the Puppy CD. (I know the CD is good because it boots on my desktop, although it won't recognize its HD so that kills the deal there).

During boot-up on the laptop, it just hangs. The last few messages I copied from the screen are:
------
Intel ISA PCIC probe: not found
Hint: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect module parameters, including invalid IO or IRQ parameters.
You may find more information in syslog or the output from dmesg
PCI: No IRQ known for interrupt pin A of device 02:06.0. Please try using pci=biosirq.
yenta 02:06.0: Preassigned resource 0 busy, reconfiguring...
Yenta ISA IRQ mask 0x04f8, PCI irq0
<then a few lines of cs: IO port probe ... : excluding ... >
cs: IO port probe 0x0100-0x04ff: Unknown interrupt
Unkown interrupt.
-------

And that's where it stops. I hope someone can give me a clue.

BTW, I found a few other messages here that seem to be related to a similar problem - PCI or PCMCIA card interrupt - but none of them had gotten a response.

zigbert

#2 Post by zigbert »

I had a similar problem with my old toshiba satelite 2050. It crashed while detecting PCMCIA. I run today Damn Small on that laptop, but there might be a solution to build a new ISO without the PCMCIA-module.

octathlon

#3 Post by octathlon »

I'm hoping there is some kind of boot option or something I can use to ignore the PCMCIA, or some other workaround. :)

tempestuous

#4 Post by tempestuous »

So many people on this forum seem to think that adding boot options to the live CD is an epic task!
It's dead easy; at the boot prompt enter the number (1-5) of your boot-choice, then type a space, then each additional boot option separated by a space. Your boot option is "nopcmcia".

If you want to re-gain your PCMCIA functions, it may be possible to manually load the correct modules and services once you have booted -

modprobe pcmcia_core
modprobe i82365 ## or yenta_socket, i82092, i82365, tcic
modprobe ds
rm /var/run/cardmgr.pid
cardmgr

If these modules fail to load, it could indicate that you have irq resource problems.
The first thing to check is that your bios is set for "PnP OS = NO" ... this is important for all Linux distributions.
Or it's possible that you can add other boot options which will sort out the resource allocation; examples -

pci=biosirq
pci=noacpi (no effect if you already use acpi=off)
acpi=noirq (no effect if you already use acpi=off)
noapic
Last edited by tempestuous on Fri 31 Mar 2006, 11:38, edited 1 time in total.

zigbert

#5 Post by zigbert »

This was very nice information. It should be said loud and clear to all of us newbies.

I haven't seen documentation about puppy and bootoptions.

octathlon

#6 Post by octathlon »

tempestuous wrote:So many people on this forum seem to think that adding boot options to the live CD is an epic task!
It's dead easy; at the boot prompt enter the number (1-5) of your boot-choice, then type a space, then each additional boot option separated by a space. Your boot option is "nopcmcia".

... <snip> ...

pci=biosirq
pci=noacpi (no effect if you already use acpi=off)
acpi=noirq (no effect if you already use acpi=off)
noapic
Well, it's all epic, when you're a newbie ;)

Thanks for your response! I tried entering "4 nopcmcia" as my boot option, but got the same result as before. Also tried "4 pci=biosirq" and the end result was the same, although it did show different numbers on this line:
Yenta ISA IRQ mask 0x06f8, PCI irq 11

I've looked for a list of boot options like the ones you gave me but couldn't find them - do you have a link? Maybe I can try a few others, now that I know how to enter them. :)

tempestuous

#7 Post by tempestuous »

I took note of these particular boot options when I saw various reports on the web about how they fixed hardware problems.
Somewhere on the Knoppix website there is a list of boot options ... but be careful, many of these are non-standard and will only work with Knoppix.
I just found this - http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/BootPrompt-HOWTO.html

octathlon, your laptop is ACPI-compatible, so you would be better off (in theory) not disabling ACPI.
Use boot option 1. If you specifically don't want to create a pupfile, use the additional boot option "PFILE=no"

paulh177

#8 Post by paulh177 »

i'm trying various puppy install configs to find which suits me best.
my acer 5612wlm, 80GB IDEhdd, 1024MB ram wont boot puppy unless i use nopcmcia
can i have puppy 2.11 boot with nopmcia if i don't have it installed on hdd? i.e. without my having to type "puppy nopcmcia" at the boot prompt? I'm booting from live cd but with pup_save.3fs on a ntfs partition.