Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sun 23 Nov 2014, 10:53
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Cutting edge
Puppy and network diagnostics
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]  

PostPosted: Thu 28 Jul 2005, 16:06    Post subject:  Puppy and network diagnostics  

Hi. Iím Craig Pepmiller from the University of Missouri (USA). Iíve been working on network diagnostics/troubleshooting tools and pretty much centered on the Internet2 projectís Network Diagnostic Tool (NDT). The NDT is a fixed test point. Anybody with a network-connected machine that has a java-enabled web browser can connect with the NDT and the two machines become endpoints for a network load test between them. You can check out my latest test point at http://207.160.132.59:7123 or try more established points like http://web100.rit.edu:7123/; http://miranda.ctd.anl.gov:7123/; http://netspeed.stanford.edu/. I have been creating the test points using Fedora Linux and looking for smaller and more portable machines to load them on. The idea was to have something small that we could move between points of the network for troubleshooting or ship to someone at another point in our state-wide network.

It occurred to us (the boss and I), that the ideal unit to ship around was probably a USB memory fob. I knew that there were versions of Linux built small enough to boot from USB and the test software, including all patches and libraries, is fairly small. In looking around I found several small installations built on Linux 2.4.x but I would rather use a 2.6.x kernel so I could patch in the latest version of Web100 (www.web100.org). Puppy 1.0.2 might be ideal. But I also noticed that Puppy development has gone back to a 2.4.x kernel for the latest releases. May I ask why? And would Puppy 1.0.4 die if I tried a 2.6.x kernel with it?

Another interesting possibility is using an open CD and Puppyís unique (as far as I can see) ability to boot from a CD that it can then write to. That would allow us to ship out a number of CDs with instructions to use them as needed and ship us back the CD with archived diagnostic data on it. Anyway the potential sounds great- I just wonder if it can be done with the latest kernel.

Thanks-

-Craig Pepmiller
-MOREnet, University of Missouri
Craig

PostPosted: Thu 28 Jul 2005, 16:10    Post subject:  

The above message is mine. It just refused to believe me when I told it my name.

-Craig
Flash
Official Dog Handler

PostPosted: Thu 28 Jul 2005, 17:15    Post subject:  

I can't answer your questions about kernels, but multisession CDs would certainly be a lot cheaper to do than USB flash memory fobs. Have you read Barry's 28 July entry on his News page? Also here's a thread that might be helpful.
Lobster
Official Crustacean

PostPosted: Thu 28 Jul 2005, 17:22    Post subject:  

The 2.6 kernel was about 30% faster (I liked it) we lost printing and writing to NTFS partitions was not working properly.

2.4 is still being worked on and back ported. Barry from what I understand is trying to make Puppy able to use either kernel and this is achieved with unleashed (build your own Puppy). See the next post..

Sad

Last edited by Lobster on Fri 29 Jul 2005, 00:22; edited 1 time in total
BarryK
Puppy Master

PostPosted: Thu 28 Jul 2005, 20:48    Post subject:  

You can use the latest 2.6 kernel if you build your own Puppy from Unleashed.
Craig

PostPosted: Fri 29 Jul 2005, 13:48    Post subject:  

Thanks. And will do probably all of the above. But first I will try putting together a Qemu port because I am stuck on an archaic, chauvinistic WinXP machine all day Very Happy . I am used to running DSLinux from Qemu and though it is very slow it allows me to do the other things that I need to do during the day.

Thanks again-
-Craig
Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]  
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Cutting edge
Jump to: