Light-Debian-Core-Live-CD-Wheezy + Porteus-Wheezy

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
stemsee

#3161 Post by stemsee »

Ok, I was no aware of all the drawbacks, I am just trying to share my enhusiastism. That is why i didn't upload an iso, in case of such errors. Sorry! I will remove the link.

The kernel modules include headers!

saintless

#3162 Post by saintless »

Yes, my mistake. I see headers in kernel-modules.sfs /usr/include/
Is this full linux-headers pack? Properties show 730 .h files compared to debian 3.2 headers 2819 .h in /usr/include or I miss something important about compiling difference puppy-debian...
I'm not sure it will work for DebianDog for compiling because of the different structure. It has to be tested.
I think it is best to pack your kernels in separate archive for use with puppy and debian systems. All new pupies will be able to load them and DebianDog also can do it. I will provide puppy initrd.gz file when I'm happy with the result and it should be able to load all separate puppy kernels.

stemsee

#3163 Post by stemsee »

Edit: Maybe you are seeing mixed in headers from kernel 3.2 which i didn't remove before the remastering!!

They are the full headers package extracted from kernel source package! I am not an expert on the details, I just used kernel-kit, which is almost automatic after setting up build.conf with user choices. I compiled this kernel 3.16-rc2 on DebianDog, which even with devx loaded needed ncurses-dev installed. In DebianDog compiling kernel has at least one bug. after starting 'make menuconfig' the editor which opens does not allow opening of sub-menus, >processor type and features > highmem (4G) ===> does not open to change option to (none), which then lets you select pae in another menu entry. There are other config editors which i didn't try yet.

Yes, I agree the debian and puppy kernel packages are better kept separate. Until a unifying solution resolves differences.

I can provide .config for kernel 3.16-rc2 for use or examination
Attachments
DOTconfig-3.16-rc2.gz
(134.26 KiB) Downloaded 149 times
Last edited by stemsee on Wed 02 Jul 2014, 09:39, edited 1 time in total.

saintless

#3164 Post by saintless »

There will not be unifying solution for using puppy kernel, Stemsee. Puppy kernel brings disadvantages that can not be solved. The best way is to make puppy initrd.gz to work with debian kernel.
There is debian kernel sources available for download and debian-method to compile new kernel. It gives different structured kernel-module than kernel 3.16-rc2. It is still puppy structured kernel no matter it is compiled on DebianDog.

Devx for DebianDog is not needed at all. It was something for quicker use for me, Terry and Fred to compile small programs like jwm, xfe and dillo. You can apt-get all needed packages for compiling. Something you can't do in Puppy.

saintless

#3165 Post by saintless »

stemsee wrote:Edit: Maybe you are seeing mixed in headers from kernel 3.2 which i didn't remove before the remastering!!
No, I compare the files from kernel-modules.sfs with the files in 06-DEVX-DebDog-2.squashfs Not to mention over 6000 .h more files in /usr/source linux-headers inside both folders in 06-DEVX-DebDog-2.squashfs
But I'm not an expert also. Just see the difference in headers files is huge.

stemsee

#3166 Post by stemsee »

I will have a go at compiling kernel the pure debian way; which yields a kernel and image .deb package. For my own curiosity.

'tapbutton' is working nicely, by the way!

stemsee

#3167 Post by stemsee »

I can't install briquolo, nor zaz ! Any known issues?

saintless

#3168 Post by saintless »

stemsee wrote:I can't install briquolo, nor zaz ! Any known issues?
No issues.

stemsee

#3169 Post by stemsee »

I think I need a new laptop! This one is too quirky!! ...or might be me!

fredx181

#3170 Post by fredx181 »

stemsee wrote:I can't install briquolo, nor zaz ! Any known issues?
On openbox_xfce version I have no problem installing but running it gives problem because /usr/games is not in PATH env.

Toni, some time ago I thought it was fixed by reading the PATH from /etc/environment but that doesn't work anymore.
Changing it in /etc/profile does work so that needs to be fixed for the next release.
Fred, I might ask you later to include /initrd in exclude folders for RemasterDog.
If you can make the change yourself I have absolutely no objection if you change anything in any script of mine as long as you inform me about it.
I trust you don't mess things up :)

Fred

saintless

#3171 Post by saintless »

Hi, Fred.
fredx181 wrote:Changing it in /etc/profile does work so that needs to be fixed for the next release.
Jwm version PATH is in /etc/profile. Only when xdm is activated it reads the path from xdm config files.

I hope I will not break RemasterDog :) It needs only /initrd in exclude command and some extra removing while cleaning. I will post edited version when I'm ready.

Toni

fredx181

#3172 Post by fredx181 »

Hi Toni,
Jwm version PATH is in /etc/profile. Only when xdm is activated it reads the path from xdm config files.
Not sure what you mean.
To avoid misunderstanding; I just mean PATH needs fixed only on openbox version, can you add it to the changes/fixes section?

I just see Jwm version has different remasterdog.
On openbox there's included /tmp as option (as anikin requested), you didn't like it maybe?

As for adding initrd folder as exception to copy, just add it to "--exclude=...." on line 43 like this:

Code: Select all

TOTAL=$(du -cbs --apparent-size /bin /boot /etc /home /lib /opt /root /sbin /usr /var --exclude="/lib/live/mount,initrd" | awk 'END {print $1}')
EDIT: Sorry, above must be wrong, probably it is this (with the "/" before initrd, didn't test this):

TOTAL=$(du -cbs --apparent-size /bin /boot /etc /home /lib /opt /root /sbin /usr /var --exclude="/lib/live/mount,/initrd" | awk 'END {print $1}')
EDIT: Again wrong, this works, tested now:

TOTAL=$(du -cbs --apparent-size /bin /boot /etc /home /lib /opt /root /sbin /usr /var --exclude=/{lib/live/mount,initrd} | awk 'END {print $1}')
Later I changed it to a bit different (which I like more because it's similar setup as the rsync commandline):

TOTAL=$(du -cbs --apparent-size / --exclude=/{dev,live,lib/live/mount,cdrom,mnt,proc,sys,media,run,tmp} | awk 'END {print $1}')
So with added initrd folder it is:

TOTAL=$(du -cbs --apparent-size / --exclude=/{dev,live,lib/live/mount,cdrom,mnt,proc,sys,media,run,tmp,initrd} | awk 'END {print $1}')
And then with excluded initrd folder on line 47:

rsync -a / "/mnt/$DRV/$WRKDIR" --exclude=/{dev,live,lib/live/mount,cdrom,mnt,proc,sys,media,run,tmp,initrd} 2> /dev/null &
Fred
Last edited by fredx181 on Thu 03 Jul 2014, 20:44, edited 1 time in total.

saintless

#3173 Post by saintless »

Hi, Fred.
fredx181 wrote:To avoid misunderstanding; I just mean PATH needs fixed only on openbox version, can you add it to the changes/fixes section?
Done.
I just see Jwm version has different remasterdog.
On openbox there's included /tmp as option (as anikin requested), you didn't like it maybe?
Maybe I missed it is updated RemasterDog for the iso versions. I will add it from OpenBox version.

It is not only /initrd excluding change. I still work on initrd.gz from puppy. It creates some extra files and folders in /lib and /etc that have to be removed in the cleaning section of the script. I will upload edited version of RemasterDog for you when I'm sure what exactly has to be cleaned.

Toni

fredx181

#3174 Post by fredx181 »

Hi Toni,
To avoid misunderstanding; I just mean PATH needs fixed only on openbox version, can you add it to the changes/fixes section?

Done.
Thanks!
Maybe I missed it is updated RemasterDog for the iso versions. I will add it from OpenBox version.
My reply to Anikin who suggested /tmp as option for remasterdog:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 264#773264

Just for info: There are two 'TOTAL=...' occurrences in there, one for the /tmp option on line 37 and on line 95 for the other options (and on line 99 there's the rsync command)

Fred

anikin

#3175 Post by anikin »

Hi Toni and Fred,

Since you are finalizing remasterdog, one little thing regarding mksquashfs. From what I'm reading, the command in live-build scripts, specifically those of Steven Shiau has a minor difference:

-b 1024k -comp xz -Xbcj x86 -e boot
that is, boot is explicitly excluded. Not a big deal, just thought I'd mention it. Interesting, the way mksquashfs is used in his scripts:
stevenshiau 2012-10-25 02:08:15

Before running mksquashfs, you can assign some environment variables:
export MKSQUASHFS_OPTIONS="-b 1024k -comp xz -Xbcj x86 -e boot"
Then your mksquashfs will honor that.
This was the parameters used when creating GParted live

fredx181

#3176 Post by fredx181 »

anikin wrote:Since you are finalizing remasterdog, one little thing regarding mksquashfs. From what I'm reading, the command in live-build scripts, specifically those of Steven Shiau has a minor difference:
Code:
-b 1024k -comp xz -Xbcj x86 -e boot
Not needed I think because for several reasons we want to keep the /boot dir as part of the system.

Fred

saintless

#3177 Post by saintless »

We need /boot folder to have working mkinitramfs for creating new initrd.img after installing new kernel.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 460#774460
And because we keep /boot/config-3.2.0-4-486 needed for some programs like Firehol:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 473#774473
I'm sure there are more reasons to keep it.

saintless

#3178 Post by saintless »

Hi, Fred.

RemasterDog with the changes for puppy initrd.gz boot:
http://smokey01.com/saintless/Fredx181/ ... tmp.tar.gz
The changes you posted yesterday for excluding /initrd + some more cleaning lines added. Copying files progress bar does not move for puppy initrd.gz boot but this is not a big problem. It will be only optional boot method for anyone who like to adapt it better in time.

Toni

fredx181

#3179 Post by fredx181 »

Hi Toni,
RemasterDog with the changes for puppy initrd.gz boot:
http://smokey01.com/saintless/Fredx181/ ... tmp.tar.gz
initrd needs to be excluded also on line 96, now you've changed only the TOTAL line for /tmp option on line 38

Fred

fredx181

#3180 Post by fredx181 »

Hi Toni,
Also line 38 has missing sed command at the end so this way the /tmp option cannot be used, make it this:

TOTAL=$(du -cbs --apparent-size / --exclude=/{dev,live,lib/live/mount,cdrom,mnt,proc,sys,media,run,tmp,initrd} | awk 'END {print $1}' | sed 's/.\{3\}$//')
On line 96 it needs to be without the sed command:

TOTAL=$(du -cbs --apparent-size / --exclude=/{dev,live,lib/live/mount,cdrom,mnt,proc,sys,media,run,tmp,initrd} | awk 'END {print $1}')
EDIT:Ooops, line 101 needs change also (has to be "$WORK"):

rsync -a / "$WORK" --exclude=/{dev,live,lib/live/mount,cdrom,mnt,proc,sys,media,run,tmp,initrd} 2> /dev/null &
Fred